BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And one little over the air data burst from Elon and your car turns off.  EV's are impressive but I'm old and prefer a small block with a blower sticking out of the hood.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is still stuff that can be done to tinker with EVs and increase the speed. It's just a different skill set that you are too stubborn to learn.

Cope.

And one little over the air data burst from Elon and your car turns off.  EV's are impressive but I'm old and prefer a small block with a blower sticking out of the hood.

If someone went down the path of cracking the cars software to make it play nice with mods they would likely be able to kill Teslas ability to mess with it remotely. Once you break the security designed to keep you out, the rest is easy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If someone went down the path of cracking the cars software to make it play nice with mods they would likely be able to kill Teslas ability to mess with it remotely. Once you break the security designed to keep you out, the rest is easy.
View Quote

You can already do this if you really want...the lte modem is removable
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I had a customer bring one in for an alignment this week,it was my first experience with a Tesla. As an old school car guy that has owned a Chevelle and several camaro's and El Camino's that were all modified extensively I was actually impressed. Would consider getting one when battery life and mileage are improved.
View Quote

Honestly, battery life and mileage aren't an issue for me.

My normal commute is 110 miles every day. I drive that and still have a ton of range left over to do whatever I need for the rest of the day. I plug in every night and it's ready to go in the morning. Once and a while I have to make a 250 mile roundtrip for work. I could do it in one charge, but I put it on the charger for 10 minutes while I get snacks at my destination and pick up 50% more range.

I have 65k miles on my 2020 Model 3 and see about 5% degradation on the battery. The batteries are rated for 300k to 500k miles.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not doom and gloom, just stupid. It will be the equivalent of hopping up a hair dryer.
View Quote

Or hopping up a lawn mower depending on which side of the coin your looking at
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not doom and gloom, just stupid. It will be the equivalent of hopping up a hair dryer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Car culture will have to adapt. As will the aftermarket.

Just the same way people build engines in their garage with components they purchased, some day they will probably be able to upgrade an electric drivetrain with motors and stuff they buy. They’ll have to crack the cars computer to tweak the software that controls it all, just like they do now.

I’m not a big EV fan and hate to see the gas engine fade away. But I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom for people that want to modify their cars. It will be different for sure.

Lol if we are going to make ridiculous comparisons, then the guys modding ICE engines are hopping up air pumps
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He said before the race he purposely let the Tesla leave first to show how much reaction effected the outcome and see if he could run him down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened to the demon driver on that second run?  A bit slow to react

He said before the race he purposely let the Tesla leave first to show how much reaction effected the outcome and see if he could run him down.

Kind of smells like bullshit from a guy on camera
who knew he was going to get gapped. The driver
also has a fat ass and needs to loose 100 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Kind of smells like bullshit from a guy on camera
who knew he was going to get gapped. The driver
also has a fat ass and needs to loose 100 lbs.
View Quote

He already won the first race? In the video after the first race he won, he was explaining to the Tesla driver that the launch is important and pretty much whomever has the quicker reaction time will win.
Pretty sure that was planned.

Thinking about EV’a ruling the world is just saddening. Yeah, technology, speed, blah, blah - but they do nothing for me minus the joy from a full throttle pull.
The sound and feel of an ICE engine is part of the driving experience. In my opinion.

Recently picked up a V8 track car, for that reason. If EV’s weren’t taking over the world, I would’ve went M2C/M3 or another Turbo 6.

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how much that draws down the Tesla's battery.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder how much that draws down the Tesla's battery.
View Quote
Not a lot. That was my point earlier in the thread. GD thinks Plaids lay down hero runs. Plaids have less drop off in 10 runs back to back than any average ICE running 9's could ever dream of.

A Plaid can throw down 5 runs in the 9's and go get a burger from In and Out, come back and do another 5 runs in the 9's; on Michelin street tires and then drive home. There just simply aren't many cars that can do that, regardless of power train.

All these trailer queen Demons can't do that. They need Mickey T E/Ts, nitrous, a tune and about 50 lbs of ice on top of the engine to do 5 pulls a night and a rebuild after a weekend and they are trailered to the track. Oh, don't forget a team of about 5 flat billed dudes throwing all kinds of crap at them on a laptop.

Oddly the Demon proponents skipped over my statement of this earlier.

ETA: Add axles, no Demon is running with a Plaid with stock axles and even those aftermarket axles HATE pepped tracks

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Tesla needs to release the Roadster at less than the expected 3,000 lbs.

We shouldn’t be fucking with a 5,000 lb Model S tire/brake eating machine around the track.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#11]
20+ minute fillups (charge) would get old quick.

Stuck on a highway in winter that's shut down for a bad accident would also suck in an EV.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
20+ minute fillups (charge) would get old quick.

Stuck on a highway in winter that's shut down for a bad accident would also suck in an EV.

View Quote

It would probably suck just as bad to run out of gasoline in that situation. Takes gas to idle and heat the car.

And just from my personal experience….I’ve had about 15-20 of those fill ups in the 150,000 miles in my current Tesla p100.

About half of those I wanted to sit down and eat…so no biggie.

Just say I got stuck for 4 hours in a snow storm on the highway
Let’s say I had 100 miles of range and the charger was 60 miles away.
I would have about 20 miles of range to spare.

Yes, if everything worked out wrong it would suck.
Just like in a gas car
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So, with enough time and money, an ICE vehicle built for drag racing can beat an EV built for grocery shopping.
View Quote

A 1000+ HP $125K base price car is “built for grocery shopping”?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#15]
The demon guy could do 10 runs in an hour. How about the Tesla?

Oh wait it would be charging.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cars without noise have no soul.
View Quote

The Tesla sounds like a 40 year old refrigerator.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#17]
If they can get super-caps figured out it'll remove that one complaint everyone has about EV, charge time.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Tesla’s suck on track days (not talking about the strip).

Let’s see you drift one, you can’t.

Tesla’s have to charge when I can pull up to the pump and get a full tank of 93 in 8-10 minutes.

Let’s drive cross country and see who gets to the destination first.

Plaid runs the 1/4 mile in 9.25, there are daily driven mustangs  and camaro’s that can do that multiple times and still drive home without having to charge for an hour.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

"affected"
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here is 20 runs with no charging.

Tesla Plaid!! 20 Dragstrip runs!!! Wheelies! Chutes! Beasts on Slicks! Tuned 911 Turbo S! Cuda 440!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"affected"
View Quote

LOL...
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes you can.

Tesla’s have to charge when I can pull up to the pump and get a full tank of 93 in 8-10 minutes.

I leave my house fully charged every day. If I'm travelling, charging takes as much time as it takes to get snacks.

Let’s drive cross country and see who gets to the destination first.

Driving from Wisconsin to Yellowstone adds 4 hours to the trip. Those 4 hours of charging are done while getting meals and bathroom breaks. Charging adds almost nothing to the time that we would take in an ICE car.

Plaid runs the 1/4 mile in 9.25, there are daily driven mustangs  and camaro’s that can do that multiple times and still drive home without having to charge for an hour.

Show me a daily driven 9 second Mustang or Camaro that gets 101 mpg.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I mean, if we are going to play that game show me a $40k Tesla that does 9s. The price difference between the two can buy a lot of gas. Heck even if you want a sedan you can get an Audi that will do 9s with a turbo upgrade for half the price and still get 30mpg on the highway.

If anything, this entire conversation shows how sad the Demon is compared to other cars if it needs to be trailered in to run those numbers. The entire point of that car I thought was a plug and play drag car.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:03:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I mean, if we are going to play that game show me a $40k Tesla that does 9s. The price difference between the two can buy a lot of gas. Heck even if you want a sedan you can get an Audi that will do 9s with a turbo upgrade for half the price and still get 30mpg on the highway.

If anything, this entire conversation shows how sad the Demon is compared to other cars if it needs to be trailered in to run those numbers. The entire point of that car I thought was a plug and play drag car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems that often times people are losing sight of the fact the Tesla is what $130,000?  Impressive as fuck in a straight line with the 1000+ easy hp and all wheel drive, but $130,000.  That may not seem like much to the average arfcommer, but to the average drag racing hobbyist that is a lot of money.  I know when I go to a small tire no prep race or true street car race most guys are running low 5's and even into the 4's in the 1/8th for much less money.  Not grocery getter every day cars, but at the track no one cares it's about going as fast as possible for as little money as possible.  It's the challenge of being able to build a car to be as fast as possible for low cost that brings a lot of the competitors into the hobby.  

I don't own a mustang, but with a typical 5.0 coyote you can probably run 9's with a procharger, fuel system, and tires/suspension for under 60g and that's if you buy the car brand new.  Buy it used and it could be done even cheaper.  The Tesla is great for people that want to go fast that have a lot of money and don't know how to turn wrenches.  

I'm sure the electric cars will eventually have an aftermarket so they become more tune able, but I doubt it will ever be the same as ICE as far as the average guy in his garage being able to take a 14 second car and build anything out of it he wants even down into the 3's.  That is what makes drag racing what it is.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I do believe in the progressive state of California they are requiring EVs to make noise since folks are used to using their ears to cross the road.
View Quote

Fake motor noises have been on Electric Buses for a while now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Most of the news and wins will be tilted towards the EVs. I remember when the imports first started to explode(literally) onto the seen. The big import VS. domestic races. The attrition rate for the imports was horrendous. They hadn't developed the parts to withstand the horsepower back then. When I went to see some of those first big match ups...they would always find a way to rule out some of the fastest domestics making it into the finals. Resulting in some of the fastest imports racing a 13 second Javelin.
Now look at the market...the same will happen with EVs. Also remember they have been running electric bikes at the Isle of Mann in their own class for awhile, EV formula 1 also.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It seems that often times people are losing sight of the fact the Tesla is what $130,000?  Impressive as fuck in a straight line with the 1000+ easy hp and all wheel drive, but $130,000.  That may not seem like much to the average arfcommer, but to the average drag racing hobbyist that is a lot of money.  I know when I go to a small tire no prep race or true street car race most guys are running low 5's and even into the 4's in the 1/8th for much less money.  Not grocery getter every day cars, but at the track no one cares it's about going as fast as possible for as little money as possible.  It's the challenge of being able to build a car to be as fast as possible for low cost that brings a lot of the competitors into the hobby.  

I don't own a mustang, but with a typical 5.0 coyote you can probably run 9's with a procharger, fuel system, and tires/suspension for under 60g and that's if you buy the car brand new.  Buy it used and it could be done even cheaper.  The Tesla is great for people that want to go fast that have a lot of money and don't know how to turn wrenches.  

I'm sure the electric cars will eventually have an aftermarket so they become more tune able, but I doubt it will ever be the same as ICE as far as the average guy in his garage being able to take a 14 second car and build anything out of it he wants even down into the 3's.  That is what makes drag racing what it is.
View Quote

Nobody is buying a plaid because it’s a drag car. Model S is big roomy sedan with every comfort and all the tech you could want. Yes it’s fast and that’s part of the point but really can’t imagine it’s something to consider when shopping for a drag car on a budget. It’s going to be mostly middle age people commuting to work. Not many who buy one would be interested in wrenching on it. Sure there is an aftermarket for them but it’s mostly centered around appearance, suspension, and braking, etc.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I really wouldn't consider a model s plaid built for grocery shopping, but credit where credit is due it's probably one of the most honest things to come out of your mouth in months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, with enough time and money, an ICE vehicle built for drag racing can beat an EV built for grocery shopping.

I really wouldn't consider a model s plaid built for grocery shopping, but credit where credit is due it's probably one of the most honest things to come out of your mouth in months.
Don't encourage him.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Going to see drag racing is an experience. It's everything, the noise, the smell, the feeling of power as everything around shakes. It's more than just speed. I don't see how EVs will deliver that same experience, even if they can be faster.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not only are you wrong about the Tesla, you're wrong about the Demon LOL. At least you doubled down on it though LOL!
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Going to see drag racing is an experience. It's everything, the noise, the smell, the feeling of power as everything around shakes. It's more than just speed. I don't see how EVs will deliver that same experience, even if they can be faster.
View Quote
I agree, there are so many things that add to the experience. There are certain things that add to it like the whine of a supercharger, rumble of a V8 and whistle of a turbo. That being said, if I put a camera on everyone that got launched in a Model S Performance they would NOT look bored.

As with most things in GD you have a boatload of coat tail riders on both sides of the issue. My favorite is the crowd though that errs towards true car guys should never own an EV. It's the FUD opinion of the car world because the Model S Performance used market is absolutely LOADED with car guys that want to see what it's all about snatching them up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There is still stuff that can be done to tinker with EVs and increase the speed. It's just a different skill set that you are too stubborn to learn.

Cope.
View Quote

I was going to say something but gave up before I even started typing and they will reply still takes 72638 hours to charge.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#33]
The biggest roadblock EV's face is the over 100 years of petroleum industry infrastructure thats in place EVERYWHERE.  Charging times aside, a cross country trip in an EV requires the planning of a "D-Day" invasion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Now let's see who is faster in a 500 mile race.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nobody is buying a plaid because it’s a drag car. Model S is big roomy sedan with every comfort and all the tech you could want. Yes it’s fast and that’s part of the point but really can’t imagine it’s something to consider when shopping for a drag car on a budget. It’s going to be mostly middle age people commuting to work. Not many who buy one would be interested in wrenching on it. Sure there is an aftermarket for them but it’s mostly centered around appearance, suspension, and braking, etc.

View Quote

Totally understood and that’s exactly my point as to why an electric isn’t an option for me currently.  I also wanted to touch on the fact that at a drag strip you aren’t likely to find many stock cars so printing out that the demon wasn’t stock isn’t relevant to drag racers.  

Right now $ for $ going fast at the drag strip ICE is still the way to go.  By the time electric becomes easily modified to run in the 4’s or even 5’s in the 1/8th I’ll likely be retired from racing anyway.  

Ice is also a different driving experience with gears and rwd fish tailing that you don’t get with electric.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't worry, you can still soup up a Tesla.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#37]
They should make a 1000 plus hp electric rwd only.  It wouldn’t be as quick with less traction, but that might actually make it fun.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#39]
EV THREAD!
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#40]

that's still pretty impressive.  sub-10 for anything is insane
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They should make a 1000 plus hp electric rwd only.  It wouldn’t be as quick with less traction, but that might actually make it fun.
View Quote

With a little bit of code you can have a drift mode. Someone tweet Elon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Definitely an exciting time
Can’t wait to see what the Tesla’s can do with a couple hundred thousand $ of mods
A big motor for each wheel
Independent batteries for each motor
It’s an exciting time for sure
View Quote

thier truck are going to be coming with four-motors.
think the roadster too
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

that's still pretty impressive.  sub-10 for anything is insane
View Quote

8’s are the new 10’s
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Tesla bois are the equivalent of Amway salesmen who got into CrossFit and can't help but proselytize like underscores licking their chops over a good Trump thread. Every. Fucking. Time...
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top