User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Vlad" doesn't own it -- an American does. It isn't a fuel bill lein that is keeping it there, either.

To wit:

More:
https://stlreporter.com/tag/gary-r-fears/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Vlad" doesn't own it -- an American does. It isn't a fuel bill lein that is keeping it there, either.

To wit:

More:

That’s really cool. Thanks @mudeagle for sharing that!

Quoted:

So there has not been more than enough to finish it gone missing we have to wait for the next round?

There has not been enough to finish what?

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah. Detroit metro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Metro airport?

Yeah. Detroit metro.

I275 and eureka road is a great place to be driving when the planes are landing. Seems like you could almost reach out and touch them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
This one has been sitting parked at YYZ for two years... Seized by the Canadian Gov't.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Huh.  Wouldn't have guessed that about the 380s.  Their Beluga's cargo compartment is 24' diameter and the -7000 engines on the newer 380s are 'only' like 12' or so, per the wiki for them.  Shrug.
View Quote

Maybe the Beluga is allocated to EU only?  idk.  This was for a BA 380 with a blown engine on the east-coast.   They were going to have to fly a new one in from France I think and were waiting on a Heavy Weight charter...   I think in the end they got permission to do a 3 engine ferry back to the UK for the engine change.   (380s are POS)
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

To wit:

More:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has sat at Gwinn International (formerly Gwinn Air Force Base) in the U.P. of Michigan for many years because they couldn't pay the $60,000 fuel bill.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/318573/rus_jpg-3138634.JPG

I think that one actually is Russian (an Ilyushin)

From what the guy at the Air Force museum told us yes it is.  You'd think Vlad would pay the $60k to get his airplane back!

To wit:
Company owner Gary Fears purchased the IL-78 (N78GF) in 2006 for the purpose of being used in an outsourced US DoD aerial refueling program. The plane was never used for this purpose, and in 2009 the IL-78 took off from North Texas Regional Airport with a Ukrainian crew for Pakistan. Due to a lien against the plane for unpaid maintenance costs, it was diverted to Sawyer International Airport in Michigan and prevented from leaving US airspace. The Ukrainian crew was deported after the plane landed for visa violations. Fears company (Air Support Systems) filed for bankruptcy which revealed creditors including a mercenary group, a front company, and a gambling executive with ties to the Chicago mob. The plane is still sitting at Sawyer International Airport today.

More:

@MudEagle

What a mess, I read the article from the link and have to ask, will it fly again?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I know one of those things flew into OKC
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What a mess, I read the article from the link and have to ask, will it fly again?
View Quote

My guess is no.

There's another article that quotes the maintenance company who used to own the lein against it as saying there's corrosion inside the fuel tanks because of it sitting partially fueled for so long.

But anything is possible, hehe.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I heard an AN-124 come over the house after taking off from IAH during COVID.

I only lived about 3 NM from the runway at the time. It was loud as hell
View Quote

They are louder than many other commercial jets 20 or 30 K feet overhead, too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:40:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know one of things flew into OKC
View Quote

And Tulsa
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top