Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Where I work I have access to airports. I go through metal detectors and bags scanned just to get to work. Supposedly my work badge let's me board with flight crew. I havent flown since I started this job tho.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Spend the extra $15 and get Global Entry
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn skippy!

If I want to see the world I'll watch Animal Planet. Get to see the strange critters without the lines, cost and smells, and by smells I mean other tourists who have adopted a "bathing is evil" mantra.

Plus I know my bathroom is clean, there are no bugs with malaria or superEbola and I don't have to pay outrageous prices for a beer.

#basementsrock
View Quote
I'm confident that the bathroom in the master suite will be clean. If it isn't I'll let the butler know and he'll make sure any deficiencies are taken care of.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Or just say NO to the whole charade.

Some people have to fly for business. I get that.

Everyone else? Get groped so you can go to Disneyworld and get fleeced or get shoehorned into a 28" seat spacing flying petri dish with 600 599 598 million screamin corollavirus superspreaders and kids screamin?

"Oh but we went to Machu Pikachu and it was so awesome" "only 600 others in our tour group!" "We flew to San Francisco and smelled the street poop for ourselves! It was awesome!" "We flew to Haiti and only had a mild case of AIDS, but the beaches were awwweeesssommeee"

No thank you.
View Quote
Who hurt you?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hilton Emerald you say
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah being a hermit is the way to go through life. Not!
My wife and I are Hilton Emerald, United Gold for life, I'm retired so I don't get higher status anymore
Hilton Emerald you say
Oops, meant Diamond,  Emerald is the my National Car Rental status.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate commercial flying with a passion, so naturally at my new job I've had almost 30 flights since last May

Applied for Global Entry and Pre Check in July of last year and just now got conditional approval, right when I'm about to head overseas for a year or three. Go figure
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:36:42 AM EDT
[#7]
For the guys with clear how do you like it?

I have GE and pre check.

Also if anyone goes to Canada a much look at Nexus.  Gives you GE and precheck.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Fly 20+ times a year on Southwest and Alaska. TSA PRE is the only good thing I can stay about the TSA. The less of it you have to deal with, the better.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]
We just renewed global entry in December.  All on line.  No interview.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Precheck is great. Every great once in a while you find yourself in a situation where the regular line is actually shorter, but that's rare in my experience. Even if it is longer, it's worth it to me just to not have to deal with the belt/shoes/hats etc. Just my opinion, but I like the program and think it's worth the cost, especially if you travel for work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:35:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm confident that the bathroom in the master suite will be clean. If it isn't I'll let the butler know and he'll make sure any deficiencies are taken care of.
View Quote
I can pee out my window and won't have neighbors or people on lesser decks raisin' a ruckus.

And what's with the commie sinks? Black so yous can't see the curlies from the previous guests? No thank you.

As for open windows on the ocean, it's all well and good until a flying fish comes sailin' in. I'd want screens at a minimum. Maybe reinforced bars like the brush guard on the truck.

I can't even contemplate what those places look like under a black light...

*shakes fist at the outside world*
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:48:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Yup, TSA Pre and Global Entry, it makes air travel so much easier, do it!
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:23:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I just got my email last night stating that my Global Entry application was cancelled because of Andy The Fuckhead Cuomo and his illegal alien ass-kissing.

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I fly for my job and I have it since I'm a contractor for a big defense company. I've never actually applied for TSA Pre, but your DoD ID number (if you have one, you'll know) counts as a "known traveler number" if they ever ask you or when you do the self check-in at those kiosks. Just a nice heads up.

But yes, it is super nice to not have to take all your crap out of your bags, take your belt off, take your shoes off or whatever else they want you to do. Just empty your pockets into your carry on and walk thru.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I fly for my job and I have it since I'm a contractor for a big defense company. I've never actually applied for TSA Pre, but your DoD ID number (if you have one, you'll know) counts as a "known traveler number" if they ever ask you or when you do the self check-in at those kiosks. Just a nice heads up.

But yes, it is super nice to not have to take all your crap out of your bags, take your belt off, take your shoes off or whatever else they want you to do. Just empty your pockets into your carry on and walk thru.
View Quote
This is the same number on your CAC? I was under the impression that if you're a contractor and not a USG employee that this won't work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Best decision ever.

I almost missed a flight because of user error with three kids in tow. We had a connection that was a once a day thing on the next leg, and I have never come that close to a complete meltdown.  I did not have TSA Pre at the time.

I have it now, and can't imagine NOT having it, and being in that situation again.

(backstory) I made it through MCO's regular line with about an hour and a half to spare. My youngest daughter wanted "starbucks" which was not on our spine of the tram. I looked at maps, talked to the Info guy, and while his English was spotty, I understood, or thought I did, that I could take the tram back to the central port, then take another tram to starbucks. Five minutes later, I was sending the girls to their coffee, and walking into a Mexican place and ordering a margarita. Ordered an appetizer platter for the kids, and relaxed. I was only five minutes away from where I needed to be.. No reason to rush. I ordered a Margarita to go about 30 minutes before final boarding, and then went back, the way we came...  Holy fuck, fuck fuck fuck wtf... The guy that didn't speak English so good at the INFO stand was saying right right, left left. or similar.. I made it there, thought I could make it back the same way...

That's not how it works. IF you go on the wrong tram, left tram not right, or right tram not left, you get dumped off outside of TSA, and there is NO round trip available.

I had to wait through TSA again, and asked a lot of good people to understand us cutting the line. I was stopped about 3/4 the way through by a complete cunt. < i hate that word, but it's a word for a reason. We ended up running while holding our shoes to the tram, getting on a very fortunately timed one...and running a 7 minute mile i didn't think i was capable of. At one point my toothbrush from my open backpack flew over my shoulder, and I just kicked it away. Made it on the plane right before they closed the door. My kids and one of their friends who was travelling with us were laughing hysterically, thought it was the most fun adventure ever.

Had we missed that flight, we would have missed the only flight daily to the next connection, and there was really no good way out of that mess. I would have been homeless in Orlando, looking to find a way to Monterey CA.

PTSD from that one flight made TSApre something I can't live without.

ymmv
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ve had TSA Pre for a few years now.  It helps a lot flying out of ATL.  Lines generally much shorter, no need to remove shoes, etc.  Worth it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]
TSA Pre is worth it for sure, but don’t expect it to be worth it at every airport. I fly out of Orlando and that alone makes it invaluable. I can enter the airport and be through to my gate in 10-15 mins. But, at smaller, dinky ass airports like RDU, I often find they have the Pre line shutdown, or more commonly they route every passenger through Pre. When they put everyone through Pre it makes for a lot less screening per person on their part -so they are just being lazy is my conclusion.

Clear is a lot more expensive, but worth it IMHO. Clear is how you bypass the Pre line when you encounter an airport where they have the regular line closed and are cramming everyone through Pre. In fact this scenario in La Guardia last year is what prompted me to sign up for Clear in the first place. It also allows you to skip to the front of the Pre line if there is one. Once again, totally worth it!

Global Entry is the final one I need to get. I’m still not sure if I’m going to do it (not because of price, but because the time required to schedule the interview and drive an hour each way for it). There is a lot of speculation on travel boards on if it’s worth it vs. just using Mobile Passport for free: https://www.businessinsider.com/travel-tip-use-mobile-passport-instead-of-global-entry-2019-3 . That said, I’ll probably still do it because after waiting to clear customs for 3hrs in JFK with 2 young children in tow, along with a million folks returning from The Hajj one year... that one time alone would have been worth it.

Final notes, as mentioned by earlier posters:

If you pick too early of a flight in airports like Miami for example, the Pre line won’t be open so you’ll still have to use the lengthy normal line. Good luck finding out when their Pre line opens too, unless you habla the espanol

There are a handful of credit cards that will pay for Pre, some for Clear, and a couple for Global Entry.

In Summary: If you can pass a background check (and) if you fly through a busy airport more than once a year, getting TSA Pre is probably worth it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I fly as a passenger on commercial airlines at least monthly. The TSA Global Entry is better than naked titties (almost).

Apply, perform a couple stupid human tricks, wait a couple months and then join the national sensation that is flying again without holding up your pants while walking barefoot through the metal detector.

Shorter lines, no need to remove your 311 bag or laptop from carry-on. It's all good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sitting on the tarmac right now lol.

TSA pre check. Work paid for it. Worth it, yeah I would pay out of pocket if it comes to that.

I fly about 12 times per year. Sometimes no one is in either line. But more often than not, especially at busy airports, I side step the huge line and don't get hassled with shoes, taking my laptop out my bag, etc.
View Quote
I have Global Entry. Got it mainly for vacation.
It is coming due soon, Need to look at my credit cards and see if I can get reimbursed.
My employer wouldn't even pay for my Real ID, even though that is the bare minimum needed to fly shortly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes boomer

I have had global entry for a long time also.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I got it with Global Entry, it's good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I have TSA Pre check incidental to my occupation.  It is free for me.  What I am wondering is if I would see any advantage to adding Clear or Global Entry?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
this.

Ive seen some pre-check have longer lines than the normal screening...
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
just using Mobile Passport for free: https://www.businessinsider.com/travel-tip-use-mobile-passport-instead-of-global-entry-2019-3 . That said, I’ll probably still do it because after waiting to clear customs for 3hrs in JFK with 2 young children in tow, along with a million folks returning from The Hajj one year... that one time alone would have been worth it.
View Quote
Mobile Passport was nice at first, then like Pre-check, now everyone has it. Also, some airports don't use it anymore, like Dulles. Makes having GE worth it as that is my primary port of entry.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#26]
The only airport that it is useless is Dulles since almost everyone else there has PRE (Free for Govvies with a clearance).
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My wife and I have global entry and precheck, it makes travel pleasant again.  I would highly recommend it.
View Quote
This. Need to get Clear also. Leaving the country soon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just got my email last night stating that my Global Entry application was cancelled because of Andy The Fuckhead Cuomo and his illegal alien ass-kissing.

View Quote
Was Cuomo or Deblasio? or both?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top