Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:31:24 AM EDT
[#1]
My official retirement date was 01 NOV 2019.

In the 20 years I served (enlisted) pay was never an issue, it was what it was. I stayed in because of the people and for what I thought I could provide to those people.

Every time I thought about getting out I looked left and right and said to myself nope, there is no one else that will ever care for my men the way I do; and certainly not any that I would trust to take them down range.

For those who serve to serve, regardless of all the bullshit, the politics, the whatever...they will all tell you that the pay was low on the list of priorities as to why they did it.

The guys saying we are paid too much likely never put on armor...
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Officers are paid way too much, enlisted way too little

Given the shit enlisted deal with, its fucking criminal that some dipshit makes double what they do just cuz they went to college first

Fuck all officers who weren't enlisted first
View Quote
Ouch, tell us how you really feel :-)

If this makes it worse, the E-4 w/10 years (who posted here) makes almost 4X less than a senior O-6, not counting BAH and all the rest of the entitlements.

As far as if it's too much or too little (and I can only speak for the CG), retention in the CG is almost 94%.  That indicates it isn't too little.  Most exit interviews rarely list pay as an issue; wanting geographic stability was generally #1, and that's something nobody gets in any Service.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As an E4 with 10 years in, I made $13 an hour on a deployment.  That includes haz pay, BAH, getting hit with rockets and mortars.
View Quote
Why would you be an E-4 with 10 years in?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As an E4 with 10 years in, I made $13 an hour on a deployment.  That includes haz pay, BAH, getting hit with rockets and mortars.
NG or Reserves activated for deployment?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:12:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not understanding special pays might be one reason, username is telling, poor sounding attitude is more telling...

Getting hit with Rockets and Mortars=FOBs are where the enemy likes to say hello...so incidental to his service.

Immenent Danger Pay is more likely what he was collecting...Haz pay is different (think Parachute, Demolition, etc.)

Soft skill MOS w/ shitty leadership adds up to someone who needs to GTFO if haven’t done so already.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
High relative to civilian pay. Well, guess most civilians are getting paid like shit, doesn't mean the military has to be paid like shit too. Using the same logic the article could make a case for increasing minimum wage.
View Quote
By the standards that Congress applies to everyone else the military is overpaid.  They have made the largest contribution to stagnant wages and encouraging the importation of cheap labor (both unskilled, low-skilled, and semi-skilled) to drive down the value of the average US citizen worker.

Military pay reflects what average pay for responsibility should be for equivalent civilian jobs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not reading that garbage, but you can start to compare the military to civilians when the military only works a 40hr week, these people should STFU until that happens.
View Quote
Also look at the responsibility compared to non-mil.  The amount of responsibility we lay on guys in their 20s and early 30s is incredible.  Few civ jobs even come close, and they're paid a LOT more.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:27:41 AM EDT
[#8]
$2305 a month as a 4 year E-4 when I got out in 2013

Granted the $1100 in BAH which wasn't taxed brought my biweekly checks to around $1600.

I lived comfortably for the times, I wasn't rich but I wasn't poor.

Nowadays I pay for insurance, pension, 401K... the amount of deductions I have is ridiculous compared to having none before and barely ever owing anything of significance in taxes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.
Retiring as an E4 was not uncommon.  You don't make E5 unless that guy above you retires or ETS's.

And that's if your unit has an E5 slot for your MOS.   Otherwise, drive 250 miles to get promoted.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:38:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
NG.   20 year E4s happened all the time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ouch, tell us how you really feel :-)

If this makes it worse, the E-4 w/10 years (who posted here) makes almost 4X less than a senior O-6, not counting BAH and all the rest of the entitlements.

As far as if it's too much or too little (and I can only speak for the CG), retention in the CG is almost 94%.  That indicates it isn't too little.  Most exit interviews rarely list pay as an issue; wanting geographic stability was generally #1, and that's something nobody gets in any Service.
View Quote
You can't compare E-4 with 10 years to an O-6 with 25+ years.  What is the E-4 responsible for?  Not much other than himself and sometimes a couple E-3s.

The O-6 is responsible for HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of people, including that E-4, and hugely expensive equipment.  Or he might be responsible for planning, programming and budgeting for billions of taxpayer dollars that buy equipment and weapons, along with all their logistic support.

The E-4 might be in charge of maintaining a truck, under close supervision of an E-6.  A truck that a predecessor of the O-6 spent literally years specifying, procuring, testing, and fielding.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:41:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

, username is telling, poor sounding attitude is more telling...
View Quote
Poor attitude?  I literally stated hard numbers.   Look at pay charts, BAH, etc, and those are the numbers.

Oh, and I was never supply ;)  Nor a WO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#13]
officers maybe, my CO pulls in close to 9K a month right now
enlisted never makes enough money period end of story no discussion
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:47:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep.
Retiring as an E4 was not uncommon.  You don't make E5 unless that guy above you retires or ETS's.

And that's if your unit has an E5 slot for your MOS.   Otherwise, drive 250 miles to get promoted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I know a E-4 that retired out of the NG with 20 years.

Everyone (including him) thought it was hilarious. If you have a well paying civilian job and you just enjoy your Guard MOS (and Tricare) why not.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They are paid enough when the military is meeting recruiting goals,
View Quote
Someone gets it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Paid too much? No.

Paid fairly, when you factor in tax advantages, hidden payments like health insurance, retirement, etc given the amount of experience and education required? Yes.
Fuck, I retired at 37. And I was a shitbag that cared more about having fun then getting promoted and retired an E-5 on my 3rd time being one.

As for "there would be lines outside the recruiting office"... Kids are stupid and don't want to work. You can literally give them a classroom presentation as a recruiter, showing facts and figures, and they will still say "I will take loans"
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As an E-5 with a wife and child we qualified for WIC assistance based on my income.  No, service members do not get paid too much.
View Quote
Yep, as an E5 and second kid born, the hospital automatically signed us up for WIC.  I damn sure didn't ask for it and it was embarrassing.  When I think of all the late nights I worked, the weekends, the deployments, the missed birthdays, missed holidays, missed school events, etc., no, military members aren't paid too much
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember when these asshats came to do this survey. Their big selling point was "we're pushing to put everybody on the GS pay scale, and remove all the tax free entitlements. We'll pay you more so it evens out, and the gov can tax you more, everybody wins and nobody makes less money." This is after we just did our pay comp study (National Guard) and all of our guys, O and E, were making any where from 24% - 67% less then their peers in the civ side. Thanks RAND.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 4:08:37 AM EDT
[#19]
No.

We have a professional military, and only 20% of the population is eligible to serve.
We are drawing from a shallow pool and those same people are also attractive to corporate America.
They have difficult jobs and leave home at a moment's notice for months on end, they need to be properly compensated.
Or they will leave.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 4:53:10 AM EDT
[#20]
The pay is adequate. No one that is enlisted is going to be rich (unless they win the lottery or something crazy), but they're not going to go hungry either.

No amount of money is worth missing years of your kids/families lives (births, birthdays, holidays, etc.), the only thing that keeps many of us in and doing what we do is because we enjoy it and it's important. If it was only about the money or compensation they would have to be paying me a shitload more than they are now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 4:58:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You can't compare E-4 with 10 years to an O-6 with 25+ years.  What is the E-4 responsible for?  Not much other than himself and sometimes a couple E-3s.

The O-6 is responsible for HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of people, including that E-4, and hugely expensive equipment.  Or he might be responsible for planning, programming and budgeting for billions of taxpayer dollars that buy equipment and weapons, along with all their logistic support.

The E-4 might be in charge of maintaining a truck, under close supervision of an E-6.  A truck that a predecessor of the O-6 spent literally years specifying, procuring, testing, and fielding.
View Quote
I agree with you (just wrote it poorly).  I was trying to illustrate that if geoint was unhappy thinking O's were paid double, he be really unhappy to know they actually made more (some times much more) than double.
I've heard arguments like his my entire career, generally ignored them, since most rebuttals would fall on deaf ears.  I did offer five of my guys, when they were bitching about officers, to sign their packages for OCS if they were so inclined.  All were surprised and four took me up on it.  Three made very good officers, all have made O5, one not so much.  Point is that I was always more than happy to offer someone who I thought could do my job the opportunity to make that jump.

I never required my personnel to do anything I wouldn't do myself.  As I got more senior, I couldn't do those jobs anymore, but I did ensure they were able to do their jobs without interference.  My job evolved into ensuring that everyone else had the tools and training to do their jobs.

Lastly, I never complained about what the Coast Guard paid me.  Now, if folks want to bitch about what I make as a civilian, that's actually justified
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I wish I had a chow hall.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 5:11:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not understanding special pays might be one reason, username is telling, poor sounding attitude is more telling...

Getting hit with Rockets and Mortars=FOBs are where the enemy likes to say hello...so incidental to his service.

Immenent Danger Pay is more likely what he was collecting...Haz pay is different (think Parachute, Demolition, etc.)

Soft skill MOS w/ shitty leadership adds up to someone who needs to GTFO if haven’t done so already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/21/2019 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Hell no!
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#26]
1987 I was paid $990 a month for E4/SP4.  I was in Germany, the market sank and the exchange rate was almost 1:1. That $990 was not nearly enough for all the bullshit we endured.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Over paid?  That's a stretch.  We do have once of the best compensated armed forces in the world.  It's just that a lot of that compensation isn't reflected in the pay charts and a lot that compensation is paid out after members separate.

If you delve in even further to job training and security clearances, the military really shines as it gives it's members an edge on extremely high paying jobs or jobs that pay significantly more than their non DOD counterparts.  Getting paid 80K a year to set up conference calls and presentation equipment only happens to people who have security clearances and most companies aren't going to pay for that low of a salaried person to get a security clearance.  It's not money in hand while members are in but they certainly have the advantage should they take advantage of those kind of opportunities while they are in the service.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#28]
When you look at civilian jobs that send you to warzone with austere living conditions and long hours the lower paid jobs start around $100k.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#29]
You are fucking joking, right?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Fuck no...
That's real retarded.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#31]
I don’t know about officers but enlisted are not overpaid.  It was a long time ago but I was so damn poor as a marine I was selling plasma to help pay for beer.  Free food was a huge positive though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Reports I’ve read have shown that enlistment numbers are going down and standards for acceptance are going down as well (things like asthma in childhood formerly being disqualifying, and now there is a workaround/waiver, and others).

The supply and demand economic principle may explain these, as the number of enlistments declines, the cost to hire new one increases until equilibrium is found.

If military salaries have risen over the course of 2001-Present, I may propose that one factor may have been the lack of excitement to travel to Iraq and Afghanistan to be killed or maimed by a roadside bomb, among others.
View Quote
Tell me more about how MEPS is letting these people through.

Actually @614Buckeye tell me more about the entire first paragraph.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Considering the job is 24/7 365, enlisted guys dont make enough.  I remember it being tough to get by compared to civilians I knew.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#35]
NO!   I don't believe it can it be possible to pay someone too much when they are quite literally willing to risk life and limb on my behalf.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Very low barrier of entry and tons of people wanting to do it equal low salaries.  Same reason teachers, medics,  and police usually make very little.  I live in podunk ks. They can get a new teacher or cop here in less than 2 weeks.

I don't understand why you would be a soldier OTHER than the 2 reasons my friends,  family,  and wife's ex do it.  They either dreamed about it forever and love it (those guys have moved up and done well financially) or they can't hold a regular job and had no other options.  Some people just can't start themselves,  they need someone telling or yelling at them to do it.

My wife's ex and 2 of my highschool classmates were fired from every civilian job they had.  Mostly scheduling issues with video games.  They stay in the military.  Haven't advanced much but it's a job.

On the other hand a close friend of mine and a cousin wanted nothing more than to be in the service.  They both are officers and make a good living.  They weren't great in school,  average.  But military life was their strength it seems.

My wife's best friend's husband is in also.  Officer school right now. Loser. He's flunking and about to be demoted.  Said he needs helps but he will not ask for it under any circumstances. She did all of his homework during military school before to get him the shot.  Now he's full time school and it's getting ugly.

Those occupations really are the law of supply and demand at work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I take a pay cut from my civilian job as an e-7 with 21 years.  If I was still active it wouldn’t be to bad a paycheck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Pay soldiers more.

Pay defense industry less.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't have a problem with the pay structure. I know that when I was active and reserve, every day I worked was at least 10 hours and most were closer to 12. So if you break it down, the pay is justified.

What I do have a problem with is the current VA disability system. You draw a retirement check along with a 100% disability check and you can go back to work as a contractor. It should be like any other job where someone goes out on disability. You get one or the other or a combination of both not to exceed a certain percentage of you highest salary.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Some are massively overpaid

Some are massively underpaid
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pay is so good there are lines a mile long outside the recruitment office.
View Quote

I tried being a good ambassador of the service and assist the recruiting folks.

You can't entice most 17-24 year olds with free college and one weekend a month. I'm talking about the Guard.... A few months of tech training and then free college.

The typical answer is they can just take loans. Or they're too fat. Or they use drugs. Or they have tattoos all over their neck and face. Or they are so fucked up in the head the bells go off instantly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#42]
We pay the  welfare scammers and SSI DISABILITY thieves too much. Cut that 10%
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Very low barrier of entry and tons of people wanting to do it equal low salaries.  Same reason teachers, medics,  and police usually make very little.  I live in podunk ks. They can get a new teacher or cop here in less than 2 weeks.

I don't understand why you would be a soldier OTHER than the 2 reasons my friends,  family,  and wife's ex do it.  They either dreamed about it forever and love it (those guys have moved up and done well financially) or they can't hold a regular job and had no other options.  Some people just can't start themselves,  they need someone telling or yelling at them to do it.

My wife's ex and 2 of my highschool classmates were fired from every civilian job they had.  Mostly scheduling issues with video games.  They stay in the military.  Haven't advanced much but it's a job.

On the other hand a close friend of mine and a cousin wanted nothing more than to be in the service.  They both are officers and make a good living.  They weren't great in school,  average.  But military life was their strength it seems.

My wife's best friend's husband is in also.  Officer school right now. Loser. He's flunking and about to be demoted.  Said he needs helps but he will not ask for it under any circumstances. She did all of his homework during military school before to get him the shot.  Now he's full time school and it's getting ugly.

Those occupations really are the law of supply and demand at work.
View Quote
Being a military recruiter must be the easiest thing ever.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There's your problem.
View Quote
Lol didn’t want to be the one to say it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not reading that garbage, but you can start to compare the military to civilians when the military only works a 40hr week, these people should STFU until that happens.
View Quote
Works 40 hours a week, or at work 40 hours a week?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Are some military members paid too much?  Without doubt.

Are some military members underpaid? Certainly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#47]
When I got off active duty as an E5 in 2014 I calculated that I would need something like 65k a year to maintain the same standard of living. I went to college before I enlisted, but an E5 with 5 years could easily be 24 years old and with no degree so that's pretty good money

Base pay isn't much but BAH, BAS, incentive pays (much of which isn't taxed) add up and that money goes a lot further when you don't pay for, for instance, any health insurance or virtually any healthcare costs for yourself or family

You can say military people aren't paid enough, but you won't convince me that most of the people I worked with weren't doing a lot better financially than they would have been in the civilian sector.

Maybe that's necessary to compensate for the deployment tempo and all the shit enlisted people have to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
After just short of 5 years in the Army, I was an E5 making and super awesome $27k gross salary.  Given the hours we actually worked (11 hours a day on a normal day, 20+ hours a day in the field or deployed), I don't think I was even getting paid minimum wage.

In the real world that would be called getting paid "jack shit."
View Quote
Some things never change, 1970 Navy E5 in for 4 years getting paid less than that including combat pay on an all expense vacation to wonderful SE Asia as figured in today's dollars.  Hell no, not nearly enough pay for our troops while illegals and welfare bums get paid to sit on their butts.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#49]
For the sacrifices required, no way.

From a straight pay perspective, my son could get out today and make 4x his current pay.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top