Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still mourning the loss of Arthur Treacher's.

There (somehow) actually one left, in NE Ohio. Long may it reign.
View Quote

Man. That's a name I haven't thought of in ages.
They opened one a couple miles from my childhood home. It was badass and quite the treat back in the day.

LJS used to have decent fried clams many moons ago but like so many things they went to shit. I haven't been to one in probably 15 years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
It was legit 1987 the last time I went to a Long John Silvers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol...
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I agree they've changed in taste from earlier days. Not too many in my neck of the woods, so it's a moot point, IMO.

Captain D's seafood is rocking it in TN though. Good food.
View Quote

Captain D's seems to have filled the niche left behind when many of the LJSs around here started closing.

I eat there occasionally too and find that they suffer the same issue as LJS did:

You cannot leave fried food sitting under lamps waiting for a customer to show up.

Fried foods only have about five minutes out of the fryer before the taste and texture decline rapidly.

Freshness is key.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Find a Long John Silver's Restaurant Near You

https://locations.ljsilvers.com/
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
My 87 year old mother loves that place.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I ate there a couple of times last year and it wasn't too bad. Not good to eat a bunch of fried food though. Might go back at one point but maybe not.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only one here is a combo Taco Bell/Long John Silver's. Last time I ate there I had the shits for three days. Never again.
View Quote

If there was a TB/LJS place within 10-15 minutes of me I wouldn't eat anywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I like it.  The fish is really crunchy, their cole slaw isn't bad, love the hush puppies.  Their shrimp is tasty and their cocktail sauce is excellent.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm just now realizing Arthur Treacher's and Long John silver aren't the same restaurant.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I last ate there in 2020.

Before that, the last time was definitely in the 90s.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

One of the last freestanding ones I know of is in Round Rock, TX.

Back in the 1980's, LJS was great! I even know of hard core foodies who lament the passing of that level of LJS. IDK what changed, but nothing there tastes the same any more. It's trash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never seen one in person. They must all be photoshop fakes. Or maybe where the bird drones are made.

One of the last freestanding ones I know of is in Round Rock, TX.

Back in the 1980's, LJS was great! I even know of hard core foodies who lament the passing of that level of LJS. IDK what changed, but nothing there tastes the same any more. It's trash.

I eat at the Round Rock LJS at least once a year.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My 87 year old mother loves that place.
View Quote

My experience was that my MIL liked it and we just ate there because it was convenient because of all of the extra traffic that the yankees have brought to town. MIL has passed now so probably not. I really have to have the cow you know.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Doubt it, haven't been in many years, don't anticipate going anytime in the future
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I lived in Alliance in 67-68.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#18]
There's about 15 fast food joints that rank ahead of that in my book, and I eat fast food like 2x a year, unless you count a gas station shit sandwich/pizza.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Watching them slather a frozen chunk of something in a bucket of batter before dropping it in the fryer is appetite killing
View Quote

No way in hell anybody drops frozen fish in the vat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Love me some LJS fish with the malt vinegar
View Quote

apparently, some of us have the gastrointestinal system of cavemen that not only will chow down on the Fish, Chicken, Hush Puppies and delicious krispies left in the bottom of the container.

I love it. but don't test my gut anymore than 1-2x a month.

Nancy Lads and their sensitive tummies.

LJS Franchising
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Last Friday we met friends at a very large local Catholic Church for a fish fry.  Huge turnout.  All-you-could-eat fish, sides, and soft drinks.  They gave us each 3 tickets for beer but they waived the tickets so all the beers you wanted were included.  The fish was really good - thick pieces of cod (thicker by about double compared to LJS).  Good cornmeal breading.  $20.00 a person.  This was our first time there.  Won't be the last.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Subnet, remember when Rax was a thing in the PA/OH corridor?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll be headed there in a week or so.

Hit ljs 6 months ago water first getting back to Ohio.

Fish flavored batter is not what I went there for.

(Clara voice)Where's the fish?

Fuck ljs, hope Arthur Treacherous is more like I remember

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd keep them in business if I could find them.  I think it's been three years since I've seen one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Was at one maybe 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#28]
LJS is pretty rare in the South.  Still have a few Captain Ds sticking around.  I tried it for the first time since I was a teen last year.  It was...

suboptimal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Taylor Proves the Long John Silver's Conspiracy Theory | PKA
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Our local one is also an A&W, so maybe once a month...
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Never seen one in person. They must all be photoshop fakes. Or maybe where the bird drones are made.
View Quote

I can walk to one in less than 5 minutes. Haven’t been there in years. Everything tastes the same, fish, shrimp, chicken, just depends what sauce you dip it in. Haven’t been in years but might go next time my bowels need flushed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't think I've been once in the last 40 years.

I prefer real, fresh seafood.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I've never set foot in one, but certainly would have no problem doing so.

I used to eat at Skippers once in a while, and love their clam chowder, and their fish and chips aren't to gross.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Dude, you ate at an LJS in PAC Beach???? Good god man, there must have been 20 better choices for fish!

BYW, my BIL is from PAC Beach. I love the strand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ate there once when I lived in the Pacific Beach neighborhood of San Diego in the 1970s.  I saw no reason to go back.

It was a lot more fun buying McDonald's burgers when they were on sale and handing them out to meat-starved Hare Krishna kids.

Dude, you ate at an LJS in PAC Beach???? Good god man, there must have been 20 better choices for fish!

BYW, my BIL is from PAC Beach. I love the strand.

Even H. Salt Esquire was better than LJS, but I was desperately poor back then and couldn't afford to go to a respectable restaurant.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#35]
The one by me went out of business years ago — it was replaced by a drive thru Starbucks recently.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I vaguely remember seeing them as a kid, but I don't think I ever ate in one. The only reason I even knew of Arthur Treacher's, was more out of trivia - it was my Dad's first job, as a teenager in Toledo circa 1974 or 1975 (during their heyday). So I kinda ate there when I could, more out of a misplaced sense of nostalgia. I did like it, though.

Burger Chef is another one that I'm aware of, but never got to try. I'm a bit too young.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I vaguely remember seeing them as a kid, but I don't think I ever ate in one. The only reason I even knew of Arthur Treacher's, was more out of trivia - it was my Dad's first job, as a teenager in Toledo circa 1974 or 1975 (during their heyday). So I kinda ate there when I could, more out of a misplaced sense of nostalgia. I did like it, though.

Burger Chef is another one that I'm aware of, but never got to try. I'm a bit too young.

Burger Chef was awesome.  They went away I suppose by the mid eighties or so where I grew up.  Glad I got to know them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't think I've ever eaten there before.

Captains D's is my jam!! It's so damn greasy

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't think I've been one in about 20 years. I don't even know if there are any near where I live.

Only reason I ate there was because at the time we were installing communications equipment for them in WV. We would eat there as long as the place was clean. We were up in the ceilings and back rooms so you could tell if the place was OK. Sometimes we paid, others the manager would offer us a free meal.

The food wasn't horrible. I will say to this day I remember an employee there telling a story to her co workers and it was straight up white trash Jerry Springer shit.

It has been so long I can't quite remember the entire story but she was smacking her husband with a board over something.

I always thought they were surviving because they were owned by Yum Brands but looks like they sold them 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

more appropriate name
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
True.

LJS switched to coelacanth filets in 2002.  
View Quote

Well, Google says there are only 500 of those worldwide, so that won't last
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#43]
It’s been years and years. None around me
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I haven't seen one locally for several years now, and even then, it was grafted on to a Taco Bell.

I could go for some greasy shrimp and mystery fish right now....
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#45]
They served draft beer when they first opened ( the 70's)
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't think I've ever eaten there before.

Captains D's is my jam!! It's so damn greasy

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/348s_jpg-2759953.JPG
View Quote

That looks NOTHING like what they served me last year.  Mine was served in a hard plastic cafeteria tray.  Fries were not an option.  Had a scoop of buttered corn and fried okra.  Felt more like a soul food cafeteria than a fast food seafood joint.  IDK maybe it was just that location.  Not going back though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Never have....
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Been there maybe once
Not even sure it was a ljs actually
lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I didn’t even know they were still around. I hit Culver’s when I feel the urge for a fish sandwich.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Used to be a Rax here in Kentucky. Remember awesome buffet. Got turned into a Wendy's.

LJS going strong here or at least as strong as KFC.  Lees has way better chicken and service.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top