Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Irons never have dead batteries and have worked for literally hundreds of years. Matter of fact I have a few 80yo+ pistols that still shoot great. However if you want to runs RDS I won't stop you (even have a couple myself), I won't even criticize you when your back is turned. Then again I am a boomer we tend to be that way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Irons never have dead batteries and have worked for literally hundreds of years. Matter of fact I have a few 80yo+ pistols that still shoot great. However if you want to runs RDS I won't stop you (even have a couple myself), I won't even criticize you when your back is turned. Then again I am a boomer we tend to be that way.
View Quote

Weird.  My RDS never have dead batteries, either.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've seen lots of broken irons at matches. Even seem then fly off in a stage
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

UNPOSSIBLE

Attachment Attached File

Luckily I had a back up optic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I am happy you guys enjoy your red dots and I have seen some sights leave their hosts but not all handguns are made that way. But if you insist please tell me which red dot I should install on my S&W 340 daily carry and one my Mauser C96, an attention getting range toy. But please do so in an IM, this is just an attack thread. I'm out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am happy you guys enjoy your red dots and I have seen some sights leave their hosts but not all handguns are made that way. But if you insist please tell me which red dot I should install on my S&W 340 daily carry and one my Mauser C96, an attention getting range toy. But please do so in an IM, this is just an attack thread. I'm out.
View Quote

You sound like you need a safe space. This.is GD. You won't find that here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never seen irons fail in a match but I have had them fail on me in classes. Was doing room clearing and smashed my pistol, still in the holster, into a door frame when I was entering a room with a rifle. Somehow managed to blow the front sight off and almost completely dislodge the rear sight.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

@GaryM

Stick an RMR on that 340.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If Han Solo can put an optic on a C96, so can you

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe I have 10 or so pistols with mRDS. There's a few others I'll get around to milling and figuring out. My rifles I consider using for self defense have either a full size RDS for a primary sight with iron backups or a magnified optic with mRDS backup.

There's a few Revolvers that I have that I'm probably not actually going to bother putting a dot on. Maybe I'll get bored and get around to it someday.

I'm very much in favor of the red dot all the things movement.

Iron sights are becoming the type writers of the gun world.

In on page 9 of this shitshow.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do it.
I did the same thing. I wanted to keep my 25 year old G19.3 in its original form for sentimental reasons.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_4405_jpeg-3040708.JPG

You won’t be disappointed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m not ditching my current G19s but my next purchase is going to be a G45 MOS set up like Lungbuster has his.

Do it.
I did the same thing. I wanted to keep my 25 year old G19.3 in its original form for sentimental reasons.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_4405_jpeg-3040708.JPG

You won’t be disappointed.

@Lungbuster

I see what you did here. Ye old doublefister.

One gun with the optic and one with the flashlight. LOL
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd agree with that if the magnified scope is an ACOG.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That’s great man.

Nobody has said you HAVE to mount an optic to your pistol.

Nobody has said that you’ll suck at shooting without one.

Nobody has said you can’t have fun with irons.

Nobody has said all your guns need to be killing machines.

The argument is that higher levels of speed and accuracy are attainable with a red dot, and that many of the myths surrounding them are just that.

View Quote

I did not say anyone was saying all of that. I was answering the question "Are you moving to RDS on all pistols?"

I apologize if my answer was unsatisfactory to you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Dots are great, I'm ~10 years into them.

I'm not any better with a dot within 10 yards, I have a hard time using a dot while I'm moving, other than that they are usually better at everything.

If I'm practicing a lot, I don't have any issues with a regular presentation, I have had issues initially finding the dot when shooting at weird positions from "cover" on stages

I have gotten crap - lint, mud, dirt on the emitter and lenses that was a major issue. I now have a 509t and think my next buy will be an EPS carry.

Dots, especially enclosed dots do add bulk although in an area that's more convenient than grip

I've had a screw shear off and completely lost zero

I mostly carry the stock 365 sights and my personal favorite sighting system is the Dawson carry sights on a g19. I have another g19 with a 509t that. I feel very comfortable with the g19 and Dawsons in a self defense situation. There are definitely possible situations where I'd be wishing I carried the g19 with a dot, but my overall confidence in the irons gun currently exceeds my confidence in the dot gun

I think an EPS carry on a 365 is gonna end up being carried more than the g19 with dot
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the main reasons I moved to RDS was the first time I shot it I realized I was not as good as I thought I was. Which is just another was of saying I could see more of what I was doing wrong and allowed me to train it out easier. Any handgun I carry or enjoy shooting is getting a rds.

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One of the main reasons I moved to RDS was the first time I shot it I realized I was not as good as I thought I was. Which is just another was of saying I could see more of what I was doing wrong and allowed me to train it out easier. Any handgun I carry or enjoy shooting is getting a rds.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371613/HappyMonday-3042076.png
View Quote

It’s an excuse to accept mediocrity.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Question for the RDS types, going to pick up a G45 and wanted info and thoughts on whether to get the MOS version or standard then have it machined ?
Also, how do the finishes hold up on the slides that have been machined compared to the OEM Glock finish?
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Question for the RDS types, going to pick up a G45 and wanted info and thoughts on whether to get the MOS version or standard then have it machined ?
Also, how do the finishes hold up on the slides that have been machined compared to the OEM Glock finish?
View Quote

Plates kinda suck.  Assuming you’re going to go for something with an RMR footprint, just have it milled.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. MOS is fine, but you should get a plate from Forward Controls. The OEM Glock plates are absolute dogshit and are warped half the time.

2. Direct optic milling is a more durable solution. Plus it puts the optic lower in the slide. You can get whatever coating you want to cover up the machine work (including melonite/nitride usually which is what the factory finish basically is anyway). The only part getting refinished is underneath the optic though, so you're not going to get wear on it, the refinish is just for rust prevention.

My personal opinion: if you are going to get an RMR-pattern optic and are good with the several choices that gives you, or you know 100% you're keeping whatever other optic pattern you get, then direct milling is better. The advantage of MOS is that it lets you swap around, which can be advantageous early on when you're still figuring out what you like/need/want.

FWIW my 34.5 MOS that I use for USPSA has more rounds on it than my other pistols all put together, and it has held up just fine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like MOS as it gives you the option to change optics down the road if you choose. I personally don’t see an issue with a properly installed FCD plate I’ve got a lot of rounds though my G45 this year with no issues.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the replies, I just assumed the whole slide had to be refinished after the machining.
Any recommendations on who to do the machine work ?  Heard good things about Jager werks but haven’t really looked into this that close so far.
I’ve made up my mind on a Trijicon for the optic, really liked my ACOGs I’ve had.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, I just assumed the whole slide had to be refinished after the machining.
Any recommendations on who to do the machine work ?  Heard good things about Jager werks but haven’t really looked into this that close so far.
I’ve made up my mind on a Trijicon for the optic, really liked my ACOGs I’ve had.
View Quote

ATEI was my first one like 8 years ago. They do a super tight milled fit to the specific optic you send with the slide. Really nice.

My 43X was done by Empire and they did a good job but it looks like they quit doing machining.

I've heard good things about JW but haven't used them. I have a 17 I need to get done and was thinking about using Maple Leaf, but I haven't used them before either.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I am not using any RDS currently but From now on Night Sites and Red Dot capability will be required for me on all all MODERN semi autos that i buy the exception being PD trade Glocks or other guns where you can buy an aftermarket slide. However though the only reason I don't have one on my 365xl is because mine is the older one where you have to remove the rear site to put the dot on. I would rather have 3 dot night sites then a dot and a front post. If i had the newer slide I would Put a 507c on it. I am also going to replace my Nightstand G21.4 with a 9mm W/ Red dot before the new year. leaning towards a Walther PDP. everything else i have is not RMR cut
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whenever I have had my slides milled I redid the entire slide. You can get them done however you want, wear will be based on the finish you choose.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

IMO, buy the MOS.
Then order a Holosun SCS-MOS.
Direct fit, lowest profile possible, no tall sights required.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

IMO, buy the MOS.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/1000000805_jpg-3042966.JPG
View Quote

I totally forgot about those. That’s a real good option.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

#1 draft pick is always milled/direct mount.
#2 Milled/plate mount.
#3 dovetail mount (don't do this)
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IMO, buy the MOS.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO, buy the MOS.

If you are going with Holosun, this is probably the best way to go.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Just bear in mind the SCS does not have a user replaceable battery. That may not be an issue.  
It just should be mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just bear in mind the SCS does not have a user replaceable battery. That may not be an issue.  
It just should be mentioned.
View Quote

True, but the capacitor is covered by the warranty if it were to go out.
I have an LED strip light in my safe so even if it's locked in there it will charge.
With motion shutoff, auto brightness and the solar panel the capacitor has a huge functional capacity.
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top