Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/22/2014 5:24:42 AM EDT
http://vimeo.com/84713706

Link to 5 infrared cameras recording the crash. 30 knot tailwind and 8000ft airport make for a very bad setup. Jet bounces about 50 feet up in the air before crashing into a fireball. One way in, one way out of that airport, this aircraft aborted landings 3 times before it crashed.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#1]
that was rough to watch..hard to imagine anyone in control after that first hit
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I assume it is mountains that make it one way in and one way out? I thought a fundamental principal of controlled flight was to land and take off into the wind.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#3]
See the body language of one of the ground workers in the last clip.

Wonder if the pilot was determined to land, or had a lot of pressure not to divert from the back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
That is was a Challenger 600, not a Learjet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a Challenger 600, not a Learjet.
View Quote

this.

Details... who needs 'em.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I assume it is mountains that make it one way in and one way out? I thought a fundamental principal of controlled flight was to land and take off into the wind.
View Quote

In Google maps terrain view it doesn't look impossible to approach from the other direction. But IDK for sure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a Challenger 600, not a Learjet.

this.

"The Challenger 600 began as Bill Lear’s LearStar 600 intercontinental tri-jet design. The rights to the project were purchased by Canadair Ltd in 1976, and the CL-600 went through a difficult period of development as it evolved into the twin turbofan Challenger."

Not too far off the mark.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like it hit the ground hard.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
See the body language of one of the ground workers in the last clip.

Wonder if the pilot was determined to land, or had a lot of pressure not to divert from the back.
View Quote

I'm guessing B.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Are there no other airports they could have diverted to?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is possible to land both directions, but very uncommon.  You land up valley, you takeoff down valley.  

It is not uncommon to land with ten knots or less tailwind, but more than that, and you need to be looking at different options.

The pilot tried the dive for the deck maneuver, and hit nosewheel first.  Should have gone around at that point.

Bad decision making.  Bad aviating
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bunch of them.   You always have a divert plan when going to ASE
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Grand Junction, Rifle, Eagle
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Looks like it hit the ground hard.
View Quote

He lost lift with the tail wind and skipped off the runway.

The second hit was the fireball. The last vid shows pretty well he was struggling for control.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Thats not a Lear
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#17]
After the bounce it looked like a jet-propelled rock the way the ass pitched up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#18]
When the jet skips hard off the runway the pilot is clearly trying to dive to the deck but my guess is that the 30 knot tailwind lifted the back end of the aircraft and put the plane in a near nose-down attitude, and then it augered into the deck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#19]
It appears he tried to force it down, bounced, and then made the 2nd critical mistake ......... continuing to try and force it down.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#20]
If I was rich enough to afford to fly in a jet like that, I would be more than happy to divert to another field and pay cab-fair to get where I was going.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I was rich enough to afford to fly in a jet like that, I would be more than happy to divert to another field and pay cab-fair to get where I was going.
View Quote

Some folks of privilege won't do things a commoner would do.

I'll be curious as to what any cockpit recordings will reveal. Assuming of course a jet like this has black boxes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Camera 5 shows the landing portion.  I can't tell what happens just before first contact but it is possible that for some reason the nose goes down enough to initiate a porpoising chain of events.    There may be two bounces with the last (or a third) resulting in the larger elevation gain and stall/"nosedive" into the ground.  

This is another example of my attitude that sometimes you have to accept delays.  Go somewhere else and land then return to Aspen when the weather is better.  Sure that is inconvenient but by not doing that, one pilot dies, the plane is destroyed and the delay happens anyway.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#23]
A good illustration of why it is inadvisable to land nose gear first. And if you do? The call is "go around, go around thrust, flaps 20 (or 8)". Because if you try to ride it out you end up like this guy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When the jet skips hard off the runway the pilot is clearly trying to dive to the deck but my guess is that the 30 knot tailwind lifted the back end of the aircraft and put the plane in a near nose-down attitude, and then it augered into the deck.
View Quote

Lol.  No.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#25]
2/3 of the pilots on board survived.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lol.  No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  No.

To expound, the aircraft appeared to experience a porpoise (most likely from trying to fly it onto the runway in the first place due to the wicked ground speed, rather than allowing the aircraft to settle to the runway on the mains.)  This is when the nosewheel hits first and the aircraft bounces back into the air.  It is nearly impossible to "save" a porpoised landing as the aircraft's configuration, motion, and energy just don't work out.  Upon reaching the apex of the first bounce, you can pull a little, porpoising even more the next bounce, or pull a lot and make a hard landing.

The only acceptable response to a porpoise is to go around.  Even in light training aircraft, with sturdy gear that are designed to get beat up by students, you may only get two, maybe three bounces before you are going to do some damage.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

To expound, the aircraft appeared to experience a porpoise (most likely from trying to fly it onto the runway in the first place due to the wicked ground speed, rather than allowing the aircraft to settle to the runway on the mains.)  This is when the nosewheel hits first and the aircraft bounces back into the air.  It is nearly impossible to "save" a porpoised landing as the aircraft's configuration, motion, and energy just don't work out.  Upon reaching the apex of the first bounce, you can pull a little, porpoising even more the next bounce, or pull a lot and make a hard landing.

The only acceptable response to a porpoise is to go around.  Even in light training aircraft, with sturdy gear that are designed to get beat up by students, you may only get two, maybe three bounces before you are going to do some damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  No.

That's the best I can see what happened too. We will never know unfortunately. I have all of ten hours into my private pilots license so I know dick. But, I do not know to try to land when porpoising! I also don't know anything about heavy tailwind landings yet, so that's something I'm going to read up on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go around is certainly the #1 solution on the initial nose first hit.  However, if the pilot is skilled and has enough runway, you can add power, stabilize the flight and still land.

Consider that a modified go around.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Just crashing jets Americans won't crash.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/05/aspen-plane-crash_n_4546029.html

Three souls on board; I am amazed only one fatality and two injured.

Flight originated in Mexico.  All three on board were pilots and Mexican nationals. The plane was owned by the Bank of Utah.

I wonder if there are rabbit holes, and if so, where they all lead.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Some more data, windshear reports of 20 kt gain on 2-3 mile final, the plane had previously aborted approach a few times prior to the crash

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Flight originated in Mexico.  All three on board were pilots and Mexican nationals. The plane was owned by the Bank of Utah.

I wonder where all the rabbit holes lead.

View Quote

Oh for fuck's sake, like that has fuck all to do with fuck all.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm pretty sure there is no going around at Aspen. The mountains off the end of the runway go from 7800' to 13,000' pretty quickly. I know that the missed approach for the RNAV calls for an early turn out back up the valley. It's a one way in, one way out place. Put 30kts of tailwind on that... not a chance. Poor life choice. Get-there-itis combined with absolutely HAVING to stick the landing on one try... and that's what we get.

Shoulda waited until morning.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#33]
As a teenager taking my first lessons in a faded yellow J3 that was older than my parents, I vividly remember my flight instructor discussing landing conditions and that there was no shame to be had in aborting.  

He looked over at me and said, "Just remember son, in the long standing battle between the Earth and flying machines, the Earth has yet to lose."
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#34]
A Canadair Challenger 601 corporate jet, registered N115WF, was destroyed in a landing accident at Aspen-Pitkin County Airport, CO (ASE). The airplane came to rest upside down on runway 15. The right hand wing had broken off and a fire erupted. There were two crewmembers and a passenger onboard. One crewmember was fatally injured; the other crewmember and passenger received serious injuries.
Flightaware data show that Challenger N115WF arrived at Tucson International Airport, AZ (TUS) about 08:47 MST following a flight from Toluca (TLC), Mexico. The airplane then departed at 10:04 MST, bound for Aspen, CO.
Audio from the Aspen Tower frequency shows N115WF being cleared to land about 12:10 but the flight executed a missed approach: "Missed approach November one one five Wiskey Fox .. Thirty three knots of tailwind." Other flights had also reported low level windshear and a gain of 5-20 knots on approach.
Following the missed approach procedure, N115WF was again cleared to land about 12:20: "November one one five Wiskey Foxtrot wind three three zero at one six, runway one five cleared to land. One minute average three two zero, one four, gust two five." This clearance was confirmed by N115WF: "Roger one one five Wiskey Fox."
On the second landing attempt N115WF briefly touched down on the runway, then bounced into the air and descended rapidly impacting with the ground at midfield.

The last automated weather report before the accident read:
KASE 051853Z 31009G28KT 270V360 9SM HZ FEW035 BKN046 OVC050 M11/M20 A3007 RMK AO2 PK WND 33028/1851 SLP243 T11111200 $
18:53 UTC (11:53 LT): Wind 310 degrees at 9 knots, gusting to 28 knots; wind variable between 270 and 360 degrees; Visibility: 9 miles in haze; few clouds at 3500 feet AGL, broken clouds at 4600 feet AGL, overcast cloud deck at 5000 feet AGL; Temperature: -11?C, Dew point -20?C; pressure 30.07 inches Hg.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#35]
COC 1. Knock it off. ~ JW777
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'd be amazed at the stupid shit "professional" American pilots have done. In this same type of aircraft, no less. Waaaay dumber shit than what this video shows. Google Northwest Airlink flight 3701 for starters.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
COC 1.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You'd be amazed at the stupid shit "professional" American pilots have done. In this same type of aircraft, no less. Waaaay dumber shit than what this video shows. Google Northwest Airlink flight 3701 for starters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or google United 173.  I was on that flight.  

"Check the fuel level?  Ain't nobody got time for that...."
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure there is no going around at Aspen. The mountains off the end of the runway go from 7800' to 13,000' pretty quickly. I know that the missed approach for the RNAV calls for an early turn out back up the valley. It's a one way in, one way out place. Put 30kts of tailwind on that... not a chance. Poor life choice. Get-there-itis combined with absolutely HAVING to stick the landing on one try... and that's what we get.

View Quote

Good God, NO!       You can go around at Aspen.   A twin jet will out climb any terrain at any airport, provided you don't start 2/3 down the runway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#40]
They shouldn't make jet fuel so flammable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
DERP
View Quote

Yeah, because you know the regulations allow you to operate a US registered aircraft in the united states with a foreign pilot certificate... yeah you totally knew that
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
reports state they were three mexican nationals, coming to colorado to pick up family.

prolly should stick to river crossings and underground tunnels.
View Quote

DU loves to come here and see this kind of shit.

Grow up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good God, NO!       You can go around at Aspen.   A twin jet will out climb any terrain at any airport, provided you don't start 2/3 down the runway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was a good ways down the 8000' runway. I'd have rather tried to go around myself, but I only fly slow planes. Even if there is only about 2 miles between the runway and 13,000' peaks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They shouldn't make jet fuel so flammable.
View Quote

Amen brother.   The Government tried to fix that.   They failed.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

It has to. FAA won't approve an instrument approach if they can't construct a viable missed approach procedure. If nothing else they'll just raise the minimum decision altitude to insure obstacle clearance on the second segment climb. But the missed approach point for this approach is 2.6 mikes from the runway threshold. So once you're over the numbers, if you can't stick the landing, you better be flyin a Saturn V.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It has to. FAA won't approve an instrument approach if they can't construct a viable go around. If nothing else they'll just raise the minimum decision altitude to insure obstacle clearance on the second segment climb. But the missed approach point for this approach is 2.6 mikes from the runway threshold. So once you're over the numbers, if you can't stick the landing, you better be flyin a Saturn V.
View Quote

A missed approach is mucho mas different than a go around after the landing is botched like this.  Maybe than plane could have safely aborted after the first hit.  I do not know its climb abilities.

From the post above, it looks like this was the third approach.  One go around/missed approach is understandable.  After the second, I wonder if they should have diverted.  Ego or get there-itis  in flying can be a killer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

He was a good ways down the 8000' runway. I'd have rather tried to go around myself, but I only fly slow planes. Even if there is only about 2 miles between the runway and 13,000' peaks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been into Aspen dozens of times.   He could have gone around at the point of the first bounce, it's a no brainer.    Pilots who don't have good instinct or experience will react to a bounce like that by pushing the nose down.  Exactly the wrong move and timing, and that is the result.    

Jet are nothing like small recips when it comes to performance.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#49]
How many lost in that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
COC 1. Knock it off. ~ JW777
View Quote

stay classy, troll.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top