Page / 43
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#1]
My money is on a YouTuber with a DJI.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:09:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the drone pilot get a purple heart?
View Quote
He gets the rest of the day off
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Pics or it didn’t happen?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:17:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pics or it didn't happen?
View Quote
Is this the second one they claim to have shot down?
i seem to remember late last week they made the same claim.

Either way, it's definitely heating up over there. And like most here, I'm not a fan of another ME war but in the case of Iran it's almost 40 years in the making.
We need to just get it over with.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Either way, it's definitely heating up over there. And like most here, I'm not a fan of another ME war but in the case of Iran it's almost 40 years in the making.
View Quote
Iran is long overdue for getting their pee pees slapped.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something seems off with this whole situation with Iran. Maybe it was Kerry going over there and acting like he was still the secretary of state even after Trump took office. Maybe it was fineswine getting caught in public calling an Iranian leader but something seems to be up between the democrats and Iran. The democrats so openly working with Iran makes me think they are trying to provoke Trump into doing something. There is really no reason for the democrats to be so openly close with Iran. They could do whatever they want without making such a show.

I personally think the democrats and Iran are working together and working on trying to win the democrats the 2020 election. How exactly I'm not sure but they are certainly up to something shady. Maybe they are trying to provoke Trump into taking military action and then making sure it goes bad.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Should bill Bolton for the cost of it
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Gulf of Tonkin 2: Electric Nuclear Boogaloo
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:38:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gulf of Tonkin 2: Electric Boogaloo
View Quote
? In this case Iran is making the claim not the USA. So far the Pentagon is denying any activity in that sensitive motor area
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it really a hard feat to shoot one down?  I can't imagine it has too many defensive measures at its disposal.
View Quote
They're not. They're not super fast and I'd imagine there's some serious latency issues due to the pilot being on the other side of the world.

They're used mostly for loiter and surveillance.  They've got an impressive range and maximum altitude but they're not very fast or agile.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:40:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
? In this case Iran is making the claim not the USA. So far the Pentagon is denying any activity in that sensitive motor area
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gulf of Tonkin 2: Electric Boogaloo
Maybe the .gov is just saying they said that

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Find the Iranian missile site and drop a terrifying, yet inert device on it.

I'm thinkin a 2020 Silverado HD from 30K feet would send a message...

https://images.hgmsites.net/lrg/2020-chevrolet-silverado-2500hd_100690494_l.jpg
View Quote
LMAO!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Something seems off with this whole situation with Iran. Maybe it was Kerry going over there and acting like he was still the secretary of state even after Trump took office. Maybe it was fineswine getting caught in public calling an Iranian leader but something seems to be up between the democrats and Iran. The democrats so openly working with Iran makes me think they are trying to provoke Trump into doing something. There is really no reason for the democrats to be so openly close with Iran. They could do whatever they want without making such a show.

I personally think the democrats and Iran are working together and working on trying to win the democrats the 2020 election. How exactly I'm not sure but they are certainly up to something shady. Maybe they are trying to provoke Trump into taking military action and then making sure it goes bad.
View Quote
If that's the case and it's confirmed, I don't see how those involved would avoid treason charges.

You may may be on to something. Obama was more loyal to Iran then to the US, Jerrit is an Iranian by birth.

On a related note, I do believe the Democrats Have sold us out to hostile countries for a profit.
They get the money now, they've agreed to be puppets for whoever our real rulers will be and best of all, their lifestyles don't change.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#14]
not much room for pilots in there.  It's like a plane for ants.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like .gov is confirming a shoot down in international airspace...
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:46:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:50:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like .gov is confirming a shoot down in international airspace...
View Quote
At least this thing didn't have anyone onboard. Unlike Iran Air 655
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Uh yeah, just because they're unmanned doesn't mean they come cheap.  There's a ton of tech in them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for them?

ETA: Nevermind, apparently they're expensive as fuck. Fuck Iran.
Uh yeah, just because they're unmanned doesn't mean they come cheap.  There's a ton of tech in them.
A tomahawk should have hit the wreckage minutes later regardless of where it landed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:59:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don’t be to high and mighty. You guys might lose another client state. You can’t even get Libya back and Baghdad wasn’t too interested in Russian assistance either. You guys are 0/2
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#22]
So they're bragging about shooting a U.S. military asset? Time to fuck them up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:21:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's been time to fuck them up since 1979
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:21:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If they shot down an RQ-4, I guarantee it was over international waters, unless the RQ-4 suffered a major malfunction.
View Quote
Then we should retaliate.

And even if they didn’t, we should still retaliate because they claim they did.

“Oh, you say you shot down one of our drones? We’re going to take you at your word. And we can’t let a naked act of aggression like that stand.”

Pound them when they tell the truth and when they lie about it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:33:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Is “demonstrated reliability” a specific term?  Because I’m curious how something gets to have 23,000,000 hours of it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:37:28 AM EDT
[#26]
It looks like the MQ-4C unit cost is about $180 million.

ETA 120 if you don't count R&D
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Is “demonstrated reliability” a specific term?  Because I’m curious how something gets to have 23,000,000 hours of it.
View Quote
The graphic says, "Triton is powered by a Rolls-Royce AE 3007 turbofan engine that features 8,500 lbs of thrust and 23+ million hours of demonstrated reliability."

If Rolls-Royce has built a hypothetical total of 23,000 AE 3007 turbofan engines, and each one has 1,000 hours of flight time on it, then how many hours does the entire AE 3007 engine family have? 23 million.

That's all they're saying. Just marketing. Doesn't actually mean much. The AE 3007 is used in a bunch of other aircraft so there are already a bunch of specimens out in the wild.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#28]
this is the largest UAV that US has and operates at 50-60k feet.  if it was shot down, it would have to have been Iran and some not rebel group
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The graphic says, "Triton is powered by a Rolls-Royce AE 3007 turbofan engine that features 8,500 lbs of thrust and 23+ million hours of demonstrated reliability."

If Rolls-Royce has built a hypothetical total of 23,000 AE 3007 turbofan engines, and each one has 1,000 hours of flight time on it, then how many hours does the entire AE 3007 engine family have? 23 million.

That's all they're saying. Just marketing. Doesn't actually mean much. The AE 3007 is used in a bunch of other aircraft so there are already a bunch of specimens out in the wild.
View Quote
Ah, thank you.  I read that and thought, “bullshit that thing’s been in the sky 24/7 for over 2,500 years.”
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Milestone is usually what I recall as a specific term but I’ll leave the question for our Navy SME https://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2016/pdf/navy/2016mq4c_uas.pdf
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:54:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don’t be to high and mighty. You guys might lose another client state. You can’t even get Libya back and Baghdad wasn’t too interested in Russian assistance either. You guys are 0/2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All he has left is bumping up that troll account post count. lol
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 3:08:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All he has left is bumping up that troll account post count. lol
View Quote
He could have called out Syria as a win, although Idlib is going way slower than Assad & the Russians and anticipated but that would be 1 hold onto client state and still 2 lost states, especially if the Iranian supported Iraqi Shiite militias are panicking as much as their claims of the USA violating their redline seem to be this week. I haven’t even looked into what specifically the US envoy to Iraq is doing but it’s pissed off Hash’d and all the pro Iran anti USA factions in southeastern Iraq
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 3:14:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So, the Iranians are 1 hit out of 3 tries. If this drone was shot down in international airspace, we should be shooting down or sinking something of theirs outside their territory.
View Quote
We kind of already did this, with one of their airliners.  It was somewhat understandable under the circumstances, until you get the full story on how the crew kind of fucked up.  The Iranians screwed up some, too.  But it was our guys that shot down a scheduled airliner on a known air route.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We kind of already did this, with one of their airliners.  It was somewhat understandable under the circumstances, until you get the full story on how the crew kind of fucked up.  The Iranians screwed up some, too.  But it was our guys that shot down a scheduled airliner on a known air route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, the Iranians are 1 hit out of 3 tries. If this drone was shot down in international airspace, we should be shooting down or sinking something of theirs outside their territory.
Wa?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Its time for Operation Praying Mantis - round 2.

Smelly goat rapers are getting very uppity, and its time to remind them to behave or else.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Now if they can just figure how how delayed/remote fuses work so they don't look like idiots scurrying around on a bass boat trying to pull duds back off before they get caught.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I call bullshit
View Quote
How about reading the news headlines.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#40]
"you just lost a refinery"
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Let's see if Trump retaliates.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was about to get excited, but then I remembered that they already took one of our drones before and nothing came of it.
View Quote
We President now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 6:31:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I call bullshit
He did. Iran claims the drone was in Iranian airspace.

I call bullshit also.

We we should drop cruise missles on about a dozen of their SAM sites in the region.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was about to get excited, but then I remembered that they already took one of our drones before and nothing came of it.
View Quote
That was then.  This is now....

(I'm not suggesting there will be a retaliatory strike for a drone, but it is a different game now.)
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine a nuclear capable Iran.  What geopolitical changes would that cause?  Why would someone like Obama and John Brennan like that?

Also, look at the biggest oil customers of Iran and then think about their influence.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree but nothing will happen i fear.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That was then.  This is now....

(I'm not suggesting there will be a retaliatory strike for a drone, but it is a different game now.)
View Quote
This is exactly why the developed world has drones, so that if something happens to them, we aren't caught in an escalation of force in retaliation.  If we go to war with Iran over a drone, they declare public jihad for whatever sects of Islam they claim to control, and also claim the evil US is persecuting them, so it's a propaganda win for them.  If we do nothing in retaliation, the best the can do doesn't even get a shrug from us in return.

Anyone who has raised children will tell you that ignoring a child throwing a tantrum will piss them off to no end.

ETA:  not that I'd complain if some of their military hardware in international airspace or waters were to suddenly explode.  Downside is almost all of their stuff is manned, which means they can't brush it off and they still get to declare war/that they're persecuted by the US.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#48]
US spokesman confirmed drone shot down in international air space.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_MQ-4C_Triton

This drone is based on the Global hawk but it is the super family truckster deluxe of the Global Hawk series.
Upgrades
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:[/b]
View All Quotes
Quoted:[/b]
 i didn't either.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top