BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are both good rifles, if you want a full-size .308 magazine fed semi-auto.

Honestly, I think either is a great choice, and so "the best" is going to be more a matter of personal preference and ergonomics, and well as the particular role you need it for.  Obviously the M14 is a more accurate rifle, and perhaps has slightly better slights, but the FAL probably has slightly better ergonomics for a generalist infantry rifle.

Both are longer than they need to be, IMO.

If I was forced to make a choice, I'd probably pick the FAL, but I'd be perfectly happy with either.  
View Quote
FAL para and the m1a socom solved that mostly.

I like both setups but invested into the M1A world. I like how the m1a handles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
@lilMAC25

Let me know the next time you visit your folks.  I could let you shoot one (18" barrel though).  Railed topcover and ACR stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want a 16" FAL with a railed top cover and ACR/ACR style stock.

I don't want to spend the $$ to feed it.
@lilMAC25

Let me know the next time you visit your folks.  I could let you shoot one (18" barrel though).  Railed topcover and ACR stock.
Roger that! Certainly will. We can ride down the road from their house and pew pew pew

ETA: I have MP5 clones (S/A only, unfortunately) that you can use to play bullet hose with in exchange.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sort of, that is a 1st order approximation I'd say. It is probably true for rack grade rifles.

The M14 can be made into a true MOA rifle (but not much better), but it doesn't keep that long, it shoots itself lose quickly. Just as the M1 did.

I don't think anyone has a reliable MOA FAL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy is a wash.
Sort of, that is a 1st order approximation I'd say. It is probably true for rack grade rifles.

The M14 can be made into a true MOA rifle (but not much better), but it doesn't keep that long, it shoots itself lose quickly. Just as the M1 did.

I had a DSA Gray Wolf that would probably do it. The current SPR should do it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone is all wrong.  The AR10 for the win.

But keeping in with the thread. FAL
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's potentially true, but I don't know of hard evidence to support that. What hard data do we have on original AR-10s?

The AR-10 is, in principle, the superior design. But I don't know that is true in practice.
View Quote

These guys didn’t have a problem
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had a DSA Gray Wolf that would probably do it. The current SPR should do it.
View Quote
True MOA is a lot harder to get than most think. To get that with a FAL with its tilting bolt system would be difficult. I'm curious what level of accuracy Commonwealth target shooters got with FALs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When AR15s began to stomp M1As at the 600 yard line, I took notice. M1As don't own distance, one of the reason "battle rifles" were pushed in the 80s.

Since FALs can't compete in Service Rifle, their lack of success doesn't mean anything. The Brits (and other English speaking nations) used FALs in their version of Highpower, it might be interesting to compare their results to ours with M1As.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea. How is that relevant?
When AR15s began to stomp M1As at the 600 yard line, I took notice. M1As don't own distance, one of the reason "battle rifles" were pushed in the 80s.

Since FALs can't compete in Service Rifle, their lack of success doesn't mean anything. The Brits (and other English speaking nations) used FALs in their version of Highpower, it might be interesting to compare their results to ours with M1As.
You both are basically hovering around my point.

The M1A's sights and trigger are NOT outclassed by the FAL; two of the *most fundamental* aspects of shooting- sight alignment and trigger manipulation- are substantially better in the M1A.  That tells me that the FAL doesn't outclass the M1A enough (in other ways) to justify making such a grandiose claim in favor of the FAL.

I like both- I have a Para and full-size FAL, and a Standard and Scout Squad M1A- but I have held and fired them side-by-side enough to know their strengths and shortcomings.

For what it's worth, they each easily beat out my PTR-91 in everything except price of mags.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FAL by a mile.
View Quote
yup
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Perhaps, but I don't know the actual record.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer my M14, but the FAL actually has a long track record as a fighting rifle worldwide.

The M14 had issues. Love the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
If I had to pick one of those two, the FAL.

I have trigger time on all of the mainstream .308 Battle Rifles and I prefer them in this order

FN SCAR 17S
AR10
Galil ACE 308
FAL
HK91
M14

Of those, our family has the SCAR and the HK. Pretty much just get used for hog hunting, and the AR's are the more serious fighting weapons.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You both are basically hovering around my point.

The M1A's sights and trigger are NOT outclassed by the FAL; two of the *most fundamental* aspects of shooting- sight alignment and trigger manipulation- are substantially better in the M1A.  That tells me that the FAL doesn't outclass the M1A enough (in other ways) to justify making such a grandiose claim in favor of the FAL.

I like both- I have a Para and full-size FAL, and a Standard and Scout Squad M1A- but I have held and fired them side-by-side enough to know their strengths and shortcomings.

For what it's worth, they each easily beat out my PTR-91 in everything except price of mags.  
View Quote
From a service rifle POV I think the FAL sights are better. The trigger is the same in my experience (rack grade rifles). In all, they are typically 3 or 4 moa rifles usually.

The FAL advantages are a more closed action (more reliable) and an in-line stock (faster follow up shots). Slight advantage to the FAL.

The G3 type is very reliable, and cheap to make using 70s manufacturing. Also seem to have a higher level of intrinsic accuracy (which doesn't buy it much due to its trigger and recoil impulse). Your PTR-91 might not have the accuracy of an HK due to the barrel, I once had an HK-91 and it shot very well despite the horrid trigger.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are ways to make a FAL very near 1MOA and it'll stay that way. But it (as is the '14)  isn't what would be conducive to a production operation. Secret is a trued bolt face and bearing surfaces, and a custom fit between the bolt, bolt carrier, and the receiver so that magazine pressure doesn't cause vertical stringing as it's emptied. A quality bbl goes without saying as does a free float forearm.

Shutting the gas off on either rifle helps considerably but is kind of disingenuous when being semi auto is kind of a key part of the gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#14]
That was some of the best shit on posted that I have ever read here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FAL

M-14 should have never existed.
View Quote
Exactly.  WTF, it’s not even a close contest...

People shit all over the AK for having an opening for dirt to get into the action when the safety is off, but the fully exposed bolt on the M1 M14/M1A gets a pass.

The M14 can be made accurate?  Even without it shooting itself loose, the common field conditions/handling will see likely see to it.  Infantry rifles aren’t going from a pelican case to a bench on the range.

If we are talking a modern context (and we are if talking about an “accurized” M14) - then Modularity favors the FAL design, which also means the sights - the BUIS - matter less.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Perhaps, but I don't know the actual record.
View Quote
Well first off here’s what we know:

America made oodles of M14s. No client states wanted to buy them.

FALs were Commonwealth and cost Commonwealth riches and were sourced mainly from Belgium. Pricey to make but not prohibitively so. Africa made some.

G3s were stamped sheet metal and could be made by anybody who could make them to spec. Arguably more prolific as a lot were/are made in SWA.

There were fewer AR-10s because they required people who could work with legit Aluminum. That narrowed it down quite a bit. Not “buying”. Able to make. The Dutch had more success and West Germany was interested but more expensive.

But the ones that have survived the years of intermittent production are still better off than the other three

On paper, all three were more “successful” solely because more were made.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a few of both,and I like both equal. I have all the other  battle rifles,they are all fun to shoot,for different reasons.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Best Target Rifle: M14

Best Main Battle Rifle:   FN FAL 50.63
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Some of you are seriously on dope.

AR-10 was hugely successful in many places of heavy fighting with less than ideal ammo where few white men dared to tread.

It’s ALWAYS been successful aside from Eagle Arms and Knights Armament, the only real revisions were made in the early 70s.

Its only drawback was the odd for its era charging handle.

The only issues it had were outright sabotage. Anyone else who just used it and kept it lubed had few problems if any.

A lot of this “muh M14” “muh FAL” and “muh G3” boils down to fashion statements and emotions or wanting to be different.

Why do I want a gun with wood, more moving parts, and a lot of personality with the gas valve when I can have something that is accurate, lightweight, and works?

Even 50 years ago AR-10 was the right answer.

Gimme a break with the wolf talk on muh Cold War and muh Rhodesia
View Quote
Lol. The AR-10 was never fielded in any significant numbers because it wasn’t a reliable enough platform till the last 20 years. The Port military didn’t even have a significant sample size...

I still remember when KAC couldn’t even reliably produce components to spec...
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol. The AR-10 was never fielded in any significant numbers because it wasn’t a reliable enough platform till the last 20 years. The Port military didn’t even have a significant sample size...

I still remember when KAC couldn’t even reliably produce components to spec...
View Quote
I don't think that's the reason. When trying to sell AR10s and AR15s, everyone wanted the 15s. 7.62 sucks. The advanced nations already were invested in FALs.

KAC has nothing to do with it. Modern AR10s were upscaled AR15s, moreso than a continuation of original AR10s. The effort placed in developing modern AR10s in the 90s wasn't the same as put into developing the AR15 from the AR10, because the intent was to market to a small civilian market.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally, a thread with original content.  Thank God!
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Primarily ergonomics and manual of arms, imo.

If you consider them equal in combat accuracy  and reliability then the FAL wins simply by being pistol gripped, thumb selector, left side charging handle and folding stock capable.
View Quote
Unless you’re left-handed, in my case I find the M14/M1A much easier to operate without all kinds of contortions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

FALs were Commonwealth and cost Commonwealth riches and were sourced mainly from Belgium. Pricey to make but not prohibitively so. Africa made some.

G3s were stamped sheet metal and could be made by anybody who could make them to spec. Arguably more prolific as a lot were/are made in SWA.

There were fewer AR-10s because they required people who could work with legit Aluminum. That narrowed it down quite a bit. Not “buying”. Able to make. The Dutch had more success and West Germany was interested but more expensive.

But the ones that have survived the years of intermittent production are still better off than the other three

View Quote
Were we trying to sell M14s? Much of the FAL success was being first to market, but the items on the market were G3s and FALs. The M14 was a US army thing, TRW couldn't just sell it to make a profit to other countries.

As I understand, early on Colt was trying to sell AR10s and AR15s in Asia, no one wanted the AR10, there was huge interest in the AR15. It's possible the AR10 was the best 7.62 (it had the potential to be), but I don't see sufficient evidence to assume that it is true.

The truth is that the market success of the FAL and G3 don't mean quite what some people think. Just because 90 countries adopt a rifle doesn't mean it is better than the rifle only one country adopted. I think you are right that AR10 had the potential to be the best 7.62, but the 5.56 AR15 was still more better. We can't say the AR10 lived up to that potential. The wide adoption of FAL doesn't mean it is better than M14 (although I think it is--slightly).
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Best Target Rifle: M14

Best Main Battle Rifle:   FN FAL 50.63
View Quote
I can get behind this.

The ergonomics of the FAL do greatly aid it *as a fighting rifle* over the M1A/M14, if each were to do the same duty.

My LAR-8* has a better companion in the FAL than the M1A, for obvious reasons.  

*Bought long before RRA went retarded.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Finally, a thread with original content.  Thank God!
View Quote
This thread is really related to MAC posting a video with the exact title in the thread. But because Youtube is all fucked up, people aren't seeing that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I really want a FAL Para Congo.
View Quote
This is what the Belgian paratroopers that jumped into the Congo during the second crisis used.  Belgian Paras still use these and the para FNCs for training that's harder on their weapons since their SCAR-16s tend to break stocks and lowers under the same circumstances (and even do still without being used for that training).  They were the first, I believe, to request the 17.2" (436mm) barrel.

17" barrel was what I decided to go with for my second build.  It's a great length for the FAL.  Drilling out the sight aperture to 5mm was also a good call as far as practicality goes.

Or you could always go with something like the rifle used in the iconic SANParks K-9 Ranger pic posted here from time to time.

Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
16" with a para stock feels perfect imho.

Im a small guy though, and even for me the para stock seems a wee bit short
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really want a FAL Para Congo.
16" with a para stock feels perfect imho.

Im a small guy though, and even for me the para stock seems a wee bit short
I measured and the fixed stock has the same LOP.  For some reason I had always thought the para stock as about an inch shorter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#28]
In a total SHTF situation I would go with my FAL.  It's almost AK47-like in it's ability to function with no cleaning or maintenance:

Old Dirty
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://i1.wp.com/silahreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Screen-Shot-2017-10-01-at-20.23.56.png?resize=643%2C510

View Quote
That bolded part isn't true on both counts.

First, M14 production was bungled (which is a large part of why the M16 was adopted) and fewer than 1.4 million were made.

Second, the Taiwanese license produced the M14 as the Type 57 and used it as their standard service rifle.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/57%E5%BC%8F%E6%AD%A5%E6%A7%8D
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some of you are seriously on dope.

AR-10 was hugely successful in many places of heavy fighting with less than ideal ammo where few white men dared to tread.

It’s ALWAYS been successful aside from Eagle Arms and Knights Armament, the only real revisions were made in the early 70s.

Its only drawback was the odd for its era charging handle.

The only issues it had were outright sabotage. Anyone else who just used it and kept it lubed had few problems if any.

A lot of this “muh M14” “muh FAL” and “muh G3” boils down to fashion statements and emotions or wanting to be different.

Why do I want a gun with wood, more moving parts, and a lot of personality with the gas valve when I can have something that is accurate, lightweight, and works?

Even 50 years ago AR-10 was the right answer.

Gimme a break with the wolf talk on muh Cold War and muh Rhodesia
View Quote
You're a lone civilian. Shit has HTF (or not). You have a case head failure.

Have you seen the difference between what happens in such an event between steel rifles and enclosed aluminum ones?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Were we trying to sell M14s? Much of the FAL success was being first to market, but the items on the market were G3s and FALs. The M14 was a US army thing, TRW couldn't just sell it to make a profit to other countries.

As I understand, early on Colt was trying to sell AR10s and AR15s in Asia, no one wanted the AR10, there was huge interest in the AR15. It's possible the AR10 was the best 7.62 (it had the potential to be), but I don't see sufficient evidence to assume that it is true.

The truth is that the market success of the FAL and G3 don't mean quite what some people think. Just because 90 countries adopt a rifle doesn't mean it is better than the rifle only one country adopted. I think you are right that AR10 had the potential to be the best 7.62, but the 5.56 AR15 was still more better. We can't say the AR10 lived up to that potential. The wide adoption of FAL doesn't mean it is better than M14 (although I think it is--slightly).
View Quote
Yes! The US tried to unload M14s in Middle East and Africa.
They literally couldn’t give them away.

NOBODY wanted them. That’s why whatever wasn’t kept for parade, D&C, etc was shredded.

Colt very briefly tried to market AR-10s, hence AR-10A(that wasn’t something Eagle Arms pulled out of the air).

You’re wanting to play the baseball statistics game in order to have ammunition for some debate with autistic people and economics majors.

The fact is that all 3 of the “Battle Rifles” were obsolete the day the AK-47 was made. Why carry a larger weapon with less ammo and more weight?

And the AK-47 was definitely obsolete the day the AR-15 was made.

I won’t say a semi automatic 308 didn’t have a place but the G3, FAL, and M14 just aren’t it.

We’re kinda applying 2020 hindsight to an era where profits were to be made from political tension.

I fear we have romanticized the image of some cigar chomping Marine route stepping through a rice paddy with an M14, some Rhodie wearing hot pants with a painted FAL, and some West German dude goose stepping with a G3 when all three of those guns were kinda assbackwards since at least 1959.

Even the caliber was wrong. A .308? Really?

Whatever. I’m in 2020. I have AR10s. I see no reason to go back. I say this as a person whose first rifle I bought of my own was an STG-58. It was fun at the time when SR-25s were impossible to get and I simply wasn’t educated on AR-10s.

I had a tape deck in the 90s. Fun. Listened to Van Halen and Weird Al on it. Doesn’t mean I want one again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FAL is better no doubt. But I can understand why some prefer the M14. Probably because being American it's more familiar. I do like the M14 iron sights and trigger better. But that's about it. Wish we dropped the Garand and picked up the FAL instead of the M14. It's just a far more modern design.
View Quote
Yeah, the sights and trigger are definitely better, and it has more intrinsic accuracy potential, although people would be surprised what a FAL can achieve with a similar approach taken to M-14s used in matches and quality handloads.  Even without that sort of treatment, in good hands it's still capable of minute-of-man accuracy out to a few hundred meters.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
6.5/.260 FAL would have been a great choice in the 50's.  Design it around some of the 140 grain 6.5 projectiles.

Decent compromise of weight and performance.

But still, an AR-10 design is superior in most ways.
View Quote
A 6.5mm FAL was made.  In 6.5X55 for trials by the Swedes.  Nowadays, you could have one done up in 6.5 Creedmoore if desired.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You're a lone civilian. Shit has HTF (or not). You have a case head failure.

Have you seen the difference between what happens in such an event between steel rifles and enclosed aluminum ones?
View Quote
Okay.

But I’m not a lone civilian and if I am then I am not going to be in that scenario. If so, I find another gun.

This nation sends people to hellholes with SR-25s. How is it that my ass back on the block is catching all these doomsday scenarios worse off than they would be.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I want a 16” FAL with a railed top cover and ACR/ACR style stock.

I don’t want to spend the $$ to feed it.
View Quote
My most recent purchase of M80 ball was $8.30 a box.  M855 purchased the same day was $7 a box.  Prices online for equivalent ammo for M855 didn't really get much lower than that.

It'd be nice if ammo of either type was still as cheap as it was back when I was in high school.  I could swear I was paying $40 for 200-round cans of Aussie 7.62mm.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's not really a question at all

FAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Real question is FAL vs G3
That's not really a question at all

FAL
Ditto.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That bolded part isn't true on both counts.

First, M14 production was bungled (which is a large part of why the M16 was adopted) and fewer than 1.4 million were made.

Second, the Taiwanese license produced the M14 as the Type 57 and used it as their standard service rifle.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/57%E5%BC%8F%E6%AD%A5%E6%A7%8D
View Quote
Except you’re wrong. Wikipedia isn’t a scholarly source. Taiwan was doing Taiwan. And explain all the M14s going to Anniston.

A lot of the Asian M14s were meant to be sold commercially to boomercore Americans who “knew dat Mattel made gun was a piece of shit I tell ya hwut”

Big wow, America’s permanent Aircraft Carrier in the South China Sea used an M14.

It’s not like Israel literally said “Naw we’re good. We don’t need M14s” or anything
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
AR-10 wasn’t a reliable enough platform till recently and even now has issues mostly stemming from a lack of standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moar beddah than FN-FAL or M-14.
AR-10 wasn’t a reliable enough platform till recently and even now has issues mostly stemming from a lack of standards.
I wonder what the AR-10 would look like if the actual AR-10 had succeeded and its development continued instead of the bunch of upsized 7.62mm AR-15 derivatives we have today.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I wonder what the AR-10 would look like if the actual AR-10 had succeeded and its development continued instead of the bunch of upsized 7.62mm AR-15 derivatives we have today.
View Quote
Oh I dunno.

The world may never know
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#40]
i like them both but for those peeps that just can't handle the fact that the M14 even exists....

Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My old Portuguese G3S had a 17lb trigger pull, all grit and stack. It was stupid-reliable and fed everything I could find, though.

I have another local member’s butchered semi-auto trigger pack in my parts box. He sent it off to a guy who’s supposed to be a genius with lowering pull weights and smoothing them out. Instead, there is mostly hammer-follow, 2.5lbs of pull in FIRE, 7lbs on SAFE(yes, it fires on that position), and he was able to make his rifle fire by wiggling the trigger housing. There is so much metal missing from the trigger, sear, and hammer, that only a little spring pressure is holding everything back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is probably the most reliable of that class of rifles. Also probably wins out on intrinsic accuracy as well.

Recoil impulse and the heavy trigger make it much less fun to shoot.
My old Portuguese G3S had a 17lb trigger pull, all grit and stack. It was stupid-reliable and fed everything I could find, though.

I have another local member’s butchered semi-auto trigger pack in my parts box. He sent it off to a guy who’s supposed to be a genius with lowering pull weights and smoothing them out. Instead, there is mostly hammer-follow, 2.5lbs of pull in FIRE, 7lbs on SAFE(yes, it fires on that position), and he was able to make his rifle fire by wiggling the trigger housing. There is so much metal missing from the trigger, sear, and hammer, that only a little spring pressure is holding everything back.
I recall Jeff Cooper saying that it was a rare G-3 that could have its trigger successfully made excellent by event the most qualified G-3 'smith.  Luckily for him, he had one of those few.  He seemed to really like his HK-91, as well as his BM-59.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I have both.  Also an AR-10.

It is kinda like like having blond, brunette and redhead girl friends.  They are different and sometimes you prefer one over the others but they are all good.

I actually prefer the M1A over the FAL but that is only because I was trained in the Army with a M-14 in 1966.

The FAL and AR-10 are better scope platforms but the M1A has better iron sights.  I personally like the ergonomics of the M1A better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I WILL own a FAL one day, especially a short barrel variant.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I think the M14 is one of the sexiest rifles out there but the reality is that it’s looks are about all it’s got going.

There are eternal truths in life.  For example attractive women don’t have to try hard (m14).  Ugly things (ak47, fal, etc) have to try real hard.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How many high-power matches have been won with a FAL?
View Quote
Best I ever shot in a HP with my FAL was a 427-3X IIRC.

But we're talking about using them in the field here, right?  Like in strange situations...

2019 RockCastle RnG stage 5 FROM A BOAT!

4th overall for that stage.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I recall Jeff Cooper saying that it was a rare G-3 that could have its trigger successfully made excellent by event the most qualified G-3 'smith.  Luckily for him, he had one of those few.  He seemed to really like his HK-91, as well as his BM-59.
View Quote
I found his lack of comment on the FAL odd. Perhaps I missed it, but I read a bunch of his stuff back in the day. Early on it made sense due to the lack of FALs on the market in the early '80s.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#47]
The M14 was a good rifle, it was just a dozen years too late.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes! The US tried to unload M14s in Middle East and Africa.
They literally couldn’t give them away.
View Quote
I mostly agree with you, but would need more info on M14s for Africa and the ME and the context. Certainly it was a poor design for the desert. But to draw conclusions I need more context to understand market conditions. I'd line up to get a CMP M-14, even though I'm not that big of a fan of the rifle. Well, I think the classic M-14 in wood is fine looking, I'd want one just to hang on my wall and look at.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't think it is "obvious" the 14 is more accurate.

Match grade M1As are more accurate, but for rack grade rifles it is more a tie. It takes a lot of work to keep M1As shooting well.

I know in the UK they used to shoot FALs out at 1,000 yards, not sure what they did to make them accurate or how much success they had.
View Quote
M1A's benefitted more from the aftermarket then FAL's.

Currently if you want an M1A that holds 1 MOA there are a lot of good options, most of which are neither cheap nor light (although some are) but it is easily doable with a credit card.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How many high-power matches have been won with a FAL?
View Quote
I believe there is still at least one standing record at Camp Perry set by the M14.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top