Link Posted: 9/21/2024 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 8:09:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 2:08:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#4]
there is nothing from the Taiwanese Ministry of National Defense for any flights or naval sorties around Taiwan for 21SEP24. (doesn't mean it didn't happen; they're just not reporting on it. That's been happening more and more.)

Here's one from 22SEP24, and perhaps later tonight the Taiwanese News will have the Flight Tracker:
2024/09/22 PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan
 Date  
6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Saturday to Sunday, Sep. 21-22

PLA activities  
6 PLA aircraft and 6 PLAN vessels operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today. 3 of the aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and entered Taiwan's central ADIZ. ROC Armed Forces have monitored the situation and employed CAP aircraft, Navy vessels, and coastal missile systems in response to the detected activities.
View Quote
No way I can keep an accurate accounting at this point, and noting trends in patterns is now going to be a "Madame X and her Crystal Ball" effort, so I'm just going to take what I can get from the sources.

Taiwan just purchased another weapon system from the US with a delivery schedule of 2026"
Taiwan to receive all Volcano mine systems by 2026
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan is set to receive all 14 Volcano Vehicle-Launched Scatterable Mine Systems purchased from the US by 2026.

Originally, the systems were planned to be delivered in multiple batches, with the first reaching Taiwan in 2024, Liberty Times reported. However, the latest plan is for all 14 sets to be delivered in one shipment. The military remains in close communication with the US regarding potential schedule adjustments.
View Quote

According to the 2025 defense budget, the total cost of the mine systems, including logistical support, is NT$4.89 billion (US$152.90 million). Once delivered, the Volcano systems will be distributed among the three Army Corps engineering units in northern, central, and southern Taiwan.

Additionally, mobile teams have been formed within these corps by combining engineer units with mechanized infantry battalions. These teams are responsible for quickly deploying barriers and mines in strategic locations, such as roads and bridges, and during emergencies.

The Army Command said the mine-laying system would help block enemy movements in coastal areas. It targets enemy armored vehicles with fast deployment capabilities.

The system features timed detonation and magnetic sensors. The mines are easily recognizable and removable, minimizing the risk to friendly forces and civilians. The Army stressed that the system complies with domestic and international regulations and balances humanitarian concerns with operational needs to deter the enemy effectively.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a follow up from yesterday's Quad Meeting at Joe's House:
QUAD leaders call for stability in Taiwan Strait, Indo-Pacific
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Leaders of the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (QUAD) member nations reiterated their support for peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific in a joint statement issued on Saturday (Sept. 21).

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida gathered at the Quad Leaders Summit hosted by US President Joe Biden in Wilmington, Delaware.

The leaders emphasized the importance of regional peace "as an indispensable element of global security and prosperity." They also rejected unilateral actions that aim to alter the status quo through "force or coercion."

The leaders expressed concerns over "recent dangerous and aggressive actions in the maritime domain," referring to the ramming of Philippine coast guard ships by Chinese counterparts. They hoped to see a region where all countries could determine their futures.

"We are united in our commitment to upholding a stable and open international system," the joint statement said. The leaders supported human rights, freedom, the rule of law, and democratic values and called for the peaceful settlement of disputes.
View Quote

Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs thanked the QUAD members for reaffirming the importance of peace and stability in the region. "As a responsible member of the Indo-Pacific, Taiwan will continue to collaborate with like-minded partners to safeguard peace, stability, and prosperity in the Taiwan Strait and the broader region," it said.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Bullshit??? Wha???? You don't advocate sharing your Nation's greatest technological secrets with your enemies???? I don't know who you are anymore!  

I don't doubt that they wound a mile's worth of thick copper cable, encased it, sunk it, and now are claiming to being able to detect ELF or VLF signals.

But you're very correct that they they're not detecting US subs with it; otherwise they would have made a couple of thousand of them, sunk them, and not told a soul.

Why isn't Greenpeace out there protesting in the South China Sea?????????????????????? Look at all the changes made by the PRC to those waters, plus the over fishing, and not a fucking peep from these "cigarettes!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Another outstanding chart, GoldenMead!! Thank you!!
(By the way, how did you like the Chimay?)

Three Carrier groups out and about are a big deal for a couple of reasons. First is that the Chinese have confidence in the ships and the crews. Second, they're expanding their area of operations in a major way. They have no fear of failure sending all three carriers out at the same time for the World to see.

If you recall, or not!, the Liaoning was originally a Russian carrier (I can't recall the Class) that the PRC bought to learn. This was about 2010? It went through two years of refurbishment and was classified as a "training" ship until around 2021.

Part of that is because a big chunk of the US carrier force is in the Middle East. The PLA is flexing very hard.

What does it mean for the China South Sea? This is a distraction ultimately. It's a distraction for everyone including the PRC. When you look where their action groups are now, they're all pretty much trapped, and therefore easy pickings, if anything were to happen to Taiwan or the Philippines. In conclusion, this is a publicity stunt and also a way to reduce the "heat" in the South China Sea. We'll see what happens upon their return to port.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
there is nothing from the Taiwanese Ministry of National Defense for any flights or naval sorties around Taiwan for 21SEP24. (doesn't mean it didn't happen; they're just not reporting on it. That's been happening more and more.)

Here's one from 22SEP24, and perhaps later tonight the Taiwanese News will have the Flight Tracker:
No way I can keep an accurate accounting at this point, and noting trends in patterns is now going to be a "Madame X and her Crystal Ball" effort, so I'm just going to take what I can get from the sources.

Taiwan just purchased another weapon system from the US with a delivery schedule of 2026"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have to quote myself as the Taiwan news has an updated Score Card for the 21SEP24 to 22SEP24 period.
Taiwan tracks 8 Chinese naval vessels around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked eight Chinese naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Sunday (Sept. 22) and 6 a.m. on Monday.

In response, Taiwan sent aircraft and naval ships and deployed coastal-based missile systems to monitor the People's Liberation Army (PLA) activity, according to the MND. No PLA aircraft were tracked in the nation's air defense identification zone (ADIZ).
So far this month, Taiwan has tracked 321 Chinese military aircraft and 180 ships.
That's quite the change from this morning when the MND released their initial release. Maybe this is why the Taiwanese News is skipping them. They have some understanding that changes will be made.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 9:53:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GoldenMead] [#11]

View Quote

On the 28th I will. Having a big party.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Japan fighters fire flares after Russian military plane enters airspace

Japan scrambled fighter jets Monday after a Russian surveillance plane entered Japanese airspace three times, the Defense Ministry said, with Air Self-Defense Force fighters deploying flares for the first time since Tokyo began enforcing measures against such incursions.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2024/09/23/japan/japan-russia-military-aircraft-incursion/
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes Sir, my Brother! This Leftist will do much better than the previous leftists before him.

They are Saved!!!!!

(I don't think I'll ever understand, except on a very very basic level, human behavior.)
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0918_jpeg-3330155.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0920_jpeg-3330156.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0919_jpeg-3330157.JPG

Japan scrambled fighter jets Monday after a Russian surveillance plane entered Japanese airspace three times, the Defense Ministry said, with Air Self-Defense Force fighters deploying flares for the first time since Tokyo began enforcing measures against such incursions.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2024/09/23/japan/japan-russia-military-aircraft-incursion/
View Quote
This is quite the distraction. I wonder if this time, they'll pass through the Bearing Straight? Storm season is coming up soon. We got that going for us!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I have some Taiwan Defense news to keep us occupied for the moment:
Taiwan's AIDC establishes drone alliance
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   A "drone alliance" of more than 50 companies held its inaugural meeting on Monday (Sept. 23), seeking to bolster international cooperation.

The alliance, established by Taiwan's Aerospace Industrial Development Corporation (AIDC), includes MITAC, Thunder Tiger, Coretronic Intelligent Robotics Corp., and Geosat Aerospace, CNA reported. The alliance's founder and AIDC Chairman, Hu Kai-hung (   ), said that the goal is to assess the capabilities of member companies and secure international business matchmaking opportunities.

Hu stressed that assessing capabilities does not mean probing companies' trade secrets but rather identifying and complementing each other's strengths and weaknesses. Division of labor is a crucial function of this alliance, and AIDC will play a coordinating role, facilitating discussions among members to leverage core technologies and increase the success rate in securing global business opportunities, he said.
View Quote

AIDC said while the global drone market is booming, it remains an emerging industry in Taiwan. Companies are involved, but their scale is relatively small, and system integration capabilities are limited.

The company pointed out it has long been engaged in both military and civilian aircraft R&D, and system integration is one of its strengths. It expressed optimism in creating a resilient supply chain and boosting the nation's drone development.

The company also said it plans to bring alliance members on overseas trips to secure international orders.
View Quote

The alliance meeting comes as Taiwan and the US seek deeper collaboration in drone production. A delegation of 26 US executives from drone companies arrived in Taipei on Sunday (Sept. 22) to discuss with Taiwanese representatives ways to help US companies find non-Chinese suppliers and manufacturing partners.

Delegation members include officials from the US Department of Commerce and the Department of Defense. Taiwanese drone industry representatives, military officials overseeing weapons procurement and research and development, and researchers and engineers will join the talks.

In 2022, former President Tsai Ing-wen (   ) established the Asia UAV AI Innovation Application R&D Center in Chiayi to achieve self-reliance and strengthen its asymmetric defense capabilities in drone development.
View Quote

Taiwan to receive 1st batch of M1A2T Abrams tanks this year
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan will receive the first batch of M1A2T Abrams tanks in December.

The Army allocated NT$40.52 billion (US$1.26 billion) from 2019 to 2027 to purchase 108 M1A2T tanks from the US. The tanks will be assigned to the 6th Army Corps to defend northern Taiwan.

Thirty-eight tanks will be delivered in 2024, 42 in 2025, and 28 in 2026, CNA reported.

Seed instructors training in the US will return to Taiwan by the end of November. After completing the necessary procedures, maintenance and weapons training is set to begin in February 2025, following the Lunar New Year.

The Chang An base and Kengzikou proving ground are under renovation in preparation for the forthcoming tanks. The proving ground will have a new firing range extended to 1,800 meters with fixed and mobile targets.
View Quote

In addition to purchasing new tanks, the Army is upgrading its aging fleet of M60 Patton tanks. In 2022, it allocated NT$444.01 million (US$13.95 million) to enhance the tanks' fire control, targeting, and sighting systems.

The upgrades are being carried out by the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology and are expected to be completed next year.
View Quote

US-Taiwan Defense Industry Conference begins in Philadelphia
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The 23rd annual US-Taiwan Defense Industry Conference began on Sunday (Sept. 22) in Philadelphia to address Taiwan's defense challenges and the future of bilateral defense cooperation.
View Quote

The conference is divided into five sessions that will last until Sept. 24, per its website. The first session will consider regional and global approaches to threats Taiwan faces. It will evaluate potential regional allies and the capabilities they could bring in "a coalition-based response."

Experts will review China's gray zone tactics toward Taiwan in the second session, including political, economic, and disinformation operations. The third session will cover existing and potential mechanisms to "appropriately resource" Taiwan's deterrence and defense efforts.

The fourth session will assess how Taiwan can counter coercive measures such as a quarantine or blockade, and how US industry could play a role in these situations.

The fifth session will discuss the possible impacts of the 2024 US presidential election on future Taiwan-US ties, particularly regarding foreign military sales and the backlog of arms delivery to Taiwan.
View Quote

Vice Minister of Armaments Hsu Yen-pu (   ) is leading a delegation at the conference. Other Taiwanese politicians are also attending, including the director of the Democratic Progressive Party's US office Iris Shaw (   ) and Kuomintang Director of International Affairs Alexander Huang (   ).

The conference has been held since 2002 to discuss Taiwan's defense and national security needs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2024 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Bullshit??? Wha???? You don't advocate sharing your Nation's greatest technological secrets with your enemies???? I don't know who you are anymore!  

I don't doubt that they wound a mile's worth of thick copper cable, encased it, sunk it, and now are claiming to being able to detect ELF or VLF signals.

But you're very correct that they they're not detecting US subs with it; otherwise they would have made a couple of thousand of them, sunk them, and not told a soul.

Why isn't Greenpeace out there protesting in the South China Sea?????????????????????? Look at all the changes made by the PRC to those waters, plus the over fishing, and not a fucking peep from these "cigarettes!"
View All Quotes

Electromagnetic.  Underwater.  From a rotating propeller.  Uh-huh.  I can't even begin to conceive how that would work.

So, you didn't pick up the electric motors operating---you know, those things that require strong, changing electromagnetic fields to operate.  But you did manage to detect a propeller.  Sigh.  Eventually, someone will learn how to see multi-thousand ton hunks of steel and titanium underwater, but that way is likely not The Way.

Not liking the news of setbacks on the Virginias.  Oh well, we all kind of knew it would be a 'come as you are' conflict, if it was going to happen at all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#16]
And now some more PRC Propaganda News (there was more agitprop from the PRC than Propaganda Friday could handle):
Taiwan denies China's accusations that 3 Taiwanese soldiers are behind cyberattacks
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Monday (Sept. 23) denied Beijing's accusations that three Taiwanese soldiers are behind recent alleged cyberattacks in China, Hong Kong, and Macau.

On Monday, China's state-run CCTV published a report by China's Ministry of State Security alleging that a hacker organization called "Anonymous 64" has gained access to websites, outdoor electronic billboards, and TV streaming services to upload and broadcast content that "defames the mainland's political system and major policies." It claimed that an investigation revealed that the group is part of the MND's Information, Communications, and Electronic Force Command (ICEFCOM).

The ministry alleged that the group is part of a wing of the ICEFCOM responsible for carrying out "cyber cognitive and public opinion warfare" against China. In June 2023, Anonymous 64 purportedly registered multiple social media accounts and "brazenly launched cyberattacks and counter-propaganda sabotage activities."

The article said ICEFCOM was established in June 2017 as the fourth military branch and was restructured in 2022 as a direct entity under the MND. It claimed the branch's primary responsibilities are "electronic warfare, information warfare, cyber warfare, and the maintenance and management of military communications."

The report alleged that ICEFCOM has carried out cyber infiltration and sabotage activities against China, "attempting to steal sensitive data and gather intelligence for Taiwan's authorities." It added that ICEFCOM "frequently distorts public opinion online, hires internet trolls to stir up trouble, amplifies conflicts, and incites divisions for its gain."

The state security ministry posted the photos and names of three Taiwanese nationals who it claimed were ICEFCOM soldiers. It said national security authorities have filed investigations against the three individuals.
View Quote

On Monday, the MND responded that the ICEFCOM is responsible for performing tasks such as maintaining national defense information and cybersecurity. It said the accusations from China are not factual.

The ICEFCOM said enemy cyber threats are severe. The People's Liberation Army and its allied forces harass Taiwan with military aircraft, naval vessels, cyberattacks, and other means, making them the "instigators of regional instability," it said.

The command pledged to follow the MND's guidance to ensure national security.
View Quote
and...

No doubt that's all supposed to mean something to someone, and that someone ain't me!

What's the point of a planted story? To get a reaction!!

For the sake of argument, let's say that the highlighted part is Red is factually true. Naming three of them and including pictures is meant to send a message.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#17]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0918_jpeg-3330155.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0920_jpeg-3330156.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0919_jpeg-3330157.JPG

View All Quotes

Two Udaloys and a corvette, looks like.  With a PLAN AGI boat at the top of the page?  Then one PLAN oiler/Unrep ship, and three PLAN combatants.  Jeez, the Type 55s are big.  Tico-sized and then some.  Plus a 52D and a 54A FFG.  

Big kid navy stuff.  For shits and giggles, what fraction of Royal Navy combatant capability does this little SAG represent?  Half?
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Two Udaloys and a corvette, looks like.  With a PLAN AGI boat at the top of the page?  Then one PLAN oiler/Unrep ship, and three PLAN combatants.  Jeez, the Type 55s are big.  Tico-sized and then some.  Plus a 52D and a 54A FFG.  

Big kid navy stuff.  For shits and giggles, what fraction of Royal Navy combatant capability does this little SAG represent?  Half?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Haven't you heard that "the Sun always sets on the British Empire"?
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 3:26:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#20]
View All Quotes
Holy Shit! Let me pull out this quote from the regular website:
The House Select Committee on China Competition, together with the Education and Workforce Committee, found some 9,000 joint research publications that were funded either through the Department of Defense (DOD) or the Intelligence Community (IC) published by co-authors with ties to China's "defense and security apparatus," including entities that are on a Commerce Department blacklist.
Well, this is one way of reducing the need to prosecute MSS spies: just invite them to the research.

"The purpose of that research funding is to generate advancements that will eventually become applied warfighting and intelligence capabilities to protect America against adversarial nations," a summary of the report states. "Yet the research that the DOD and the IC are funding is providing back-door access to the very foreign adversary nation whose aggression these capabilities are necessary to protect against."

More than 2,000 DOD-funded papers included Chinese co-authors who were directly affiliated with China's defense research and industrial base, according to the report.
Wow. This is way bigger than I ever could of thought it was.

ETA: I started shaking my head in disgust, but I'm over it now. Great Find, Carmel!!!!

Let's get more quotes. It builds character.
Under the guise of academic cooperation, the committees say China has orchestrated a campaign to pair with prestigious U.S. universities to transfer U.S. technologies and expertise back to China and circumvent government blackists.

In six case studies, covering research institutions including Carnegie Institution's Earth & Planets Laboratory, UCLA and U.C. Berkeley, lawmakers found Chinese researchers who collaborated with U.S. academia and took knowledge they learned back home to help China "achieve advancements in fourth-generation nuclear weapons technology, artificial intelligence, advanced lasers, graphene semiconductors, and robotics."
Case Studies are essentially a collection of observations and the results of these observations to understand phenomena: this is how it works!
Here are 6 of them probably because of the sheer number that are available.

There are no dates when the first of the 9,000 joint research publiciations started. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#21]

In an unusual move, China effectively blockaded most of the Bohai Sea on September 24 and 25. A navigational warning (LN335/24) issued by the Liaoning Maritime Safety Administration established seven no-sail zones across the Bohai Sea, Bohai Strait and the northern Yellow Sea, raising questions about the nature and scope of the military activity taking place.

The notice, which instructed vessels to avoid the restricted areas for an undisclosed military mission, did not provide further details.

Meanwhile, the Fujian aircraft carrier appears to have left the training area in Bohai Sea, according to satellite imagery from September 22.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
I got a follow up. Found the Report!!!!! It was at the Committee on Education and the Workforce website!!!
I have a link to the actual report in case you're bored shitless:
CCP ON THE QUAD: How American Taxpayers and Universities Fund the CCP's Advanced Military and Technological Research

and then here is the Press Release for the report which isn't too bad:
Foxx, Moolenaar Uncover that American University Research Aids Chinese Military

Here's another interesting layer to this story:
We uncovered significant failures in the reporting of foreign funding by UC Berkeley and Georgia Tech under section 117 of the Higher Education Act (HEA), despite section 117 being law for over 30 years. Enforcement of foreign gift and contract reporting requirements by the Biden-Harris Department of Education has been an abject failure. And the Biden-Harris Department of Education has failed to open a single enforcement action under Section 117 of the Higher Education Act in the last four years, despite widespread evidence of lack of reporting. These undisclosed foreign gifts likely hundreds of millions, if not billions in total gives PRC entities troubling influence without transparency and contribute to building the research relationships that pose risks to U.S. national security.
That's just in four years, Gentlemen! We reallly are a Third World Country.

From the actual report, I did a "CONTROL /F" to search the terms, Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump. The returns were 0, 3 on the name of a school with 'Bush' in it, 0 and Several. Here's the several from page 62 of the report:
B. Foreign Gift and Contract Reporting Under HEA

1. Trump Administration Response

The Trump administration initiated and carried out multiple compliance
investigations of IHEs to help ensure the integrity of foreign gift and contract
reporting.407 These investigations by the Trump administration discovered $6.5
billion in previously undisclosed gifts and contributions provided to so-called
"elite" colleges from countries that pose serious national security threats.408
The investigations found many schools failed to disclose more than half of
foreign gifts and contracts they received. Consistent with the Trump
administration's findings, a 2019 U.S. Senate staff report found that up to 70
percent of institutions reviewed failed to comply with section 117 and those that
do comply often underreport.409

These findings showed widespread lack of compliance even though the
reporting requirements of section 117 had been in place for over 30 years.
In summary, under the Trump administration, the Department took many
steps to increase transparency and combat foreign influence through sustained
and focused enforcement of section 117. The Department opened over a dozen
section 117 investigations, issued detailed reporting guidance, modernized the
Department's online portal to make compliance easier,410 and required the names
of foreign sources to be listed.411

2. Biden-Harris Administration Response

In a stark contrast with the Trump administration, the Biden-Harris
administration appears unconcerned about foreign gifts and influence. This
administration is characterized by a glaring lack of transparency and blatant
ignoring of foreign gifts and contracts. The lack of announcements by Secretary
Cardona or other senior Department officers of any newly-initiated compliance
investigations speaks volumes.412 Further, when asked repeatedly in May 2023 at
a hearing of the Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development
whether the Biden-Harris administration had opened any new section 117
investigations, then-Office of Federal Student Aid (FSA) Chief Operating Officer
Richard Cordray failed to say yes or no. 413 Instead, Mr. Cordray obfuscated,
contending that he could not speak to the details of current investigations.414 A
review of the Department's website on September 20, 2024, shows that no new
compliance investigations were opened during the Biden-Harris administration.415
Moreover, on December 27, 2022, the Biden-Harris administration announced
it would transfer responsibilities for administering section 117 away from the
Office of General Counsel and to FSA.416 This move was and remains ill-advised,
given the Office of General Counsel's expertise and recent history of conducting
section 117 investigations. 417 Additionally, FSA was embroiled in many legal,
technical, and other challenges demanding its attention, such as the....
This also is indicative of Trump Administrations increase in criminal prosecutions of MSS spying and the Biden-Harris Admin's pretty much disregard for such prosecutions.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a follow up. Found the Report!!!!! It was at the Committee on Education and the Workforce website!!!
I have a link to the actual report in case you're bored shitless:
CCP ON THE QUAD: How American Taxpayers and Universities Fund the CCP's Advanced Military and Technological Research

and then here is the Press Release for the report which isn't too bad:
Foxx, Moolenaar Uncover that American University Research Aids Chinese Military

Here's another interesting layer to this story:
That's just in four years, Gentlemen! We reallly are a Third World Country.

From the actual report, I did a "CONTROL /F" to search the terms, Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump. The returns were 0, 3 on the name of a school with 'Bush' in it, 0 and Several. Here's the several from page 62 of the report:
This also is indicative of Trump Administrations increase in criminal prosecutions of MSS spying and the Biden-Harris Admin's pretty much disregard for such prosecutions.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#24]

In an unusual move, China effectively blockaded most of the Bohai Sea on September 24 and 25. A navigational warning (LN335/24) issued by the Liaoning Maritime Safety Administration established seven no-sail zones across the Bohai Sea, Bohai Strait and the northern Yellow Sea, raising questions about the nature and scope of the military activity taking place.

The notice, which instructed vessels to avoid the restricted areas for an undisclosed military mission, did not provide further details.

Meanwhile, the Fujian aircraft carrier appears to have left the training area in Bohai Sea, according to satellite imagery from September 22.
View Quote
That's the "Mig Alley" return leg area.

Anybody download google products such as good Earth in this specific instance?
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Score Card!
Taiwan tracks 6 Chinese naval vessels around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked six Chinese naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Monday (Sept. 23) and 6 a.m. on Tuesday.
View Quote
So far this month, Taiwan has tracked 321 Chinese military aircraft and 186 ships.
View Quote
It's been ships!! No Aircraft.

It could be two to three days of no to very little aircraft this month. The pattern for the last three months has been sometime in the beginning of the month, a day without planes! This month has more than doubled that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 9:22:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoldenMead] [#26]
A record high 251 Chinese ships were operating within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone — “marking a dramatic surge for the third time this year”

• 16 PLA Navy warships
• 28 Coast Guard ships
• 200+ Maritime Militia vessels

For comparison: “The Philippine Navy monitored 207 Chinese vessels from 3 to 9 September while there were 203 ships from 27 August to 2 September

https://tribune.net.ph/2024/09/24/251-chinese-ships-swarm-wps

It appears the PLA is adding more warships.  I don’t ever remember seeing 16 here at once.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#27]
A record high 251 Chinese ships were operating within the Philippines' exclusive economic zone   "marking a dramatic surge for the third time this year"

16 PLA Navy warships
 28 Coast Guard ships
 200+ Maritime Militia vessels

For comparison: "The Philippine Navy monitored 207 Chinese vessels from 3 to 9 September while there were 203 ships from 27 August to 2 September

https://tribune.net.ph/2024/09/24/251-chinese-ships-swarm-wps

It appears the PLA is adding more warships.  I don't ever remember seeing 16 here at once.
View Quote
Yes, 16 is a lot, and with more on the way, plus the carrier groups are out in the Ocean potentially providing a distraction.
There's been a tropical depression over Taiwan that's supposed have ended yesterday.
This is one of the semi-annual "best invasion" times.

Or on the other hand, it's time for some land reclaimation with the Sabine Shoal since the Philippines left.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#28]
More propaganda!!!!!!!

Russia puts Taiwan on enemy list
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan featured on a new list of countries with "values inimical to Russia" published by Moscow, reports said Saturday (Sept. 21).

Other countries in East Asia included on the list were Japan, South Korea, and Singapore. Russia used the formula "Taiwan (China)," as it recognizes China's claims of sovereignty over Taiwan, per CNA.

China was not one of 47 countries on the list, while of European Union members, only Hungary and Slovakia were not mentioned. The only NATO member state not to be considered an enemy was Turkey.

Premier Mikhail Mishustin reportedly put his signature on the new list on September 17, with publication following on Friday (Sept. 20). According to the Russian government, residents of the countries on the list could apply for "humanitarian assistance" from Moscow if they accepted "traditional Russian values."

The first official enemies list, published in 2021, only included the US and the Czech Republic, but just weeks after the 2022 invasion of Ukraine, it expanded rapidly, also adding Taiwan.
View Quote

Here's one on the National Budget matters:
Taiwan opposition parties reject government budget
NEW TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Opposition legislators voted down the Cabinet's budget bill for the second time on Tuesday (Sept. 24), as Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators protested.

During the session of the legislature's Procedure Committee, the opposition Kuomintang (KMT) and Taiwan People's Party (TPP) voted against the bill with nine votes to the DPP's seven, while one legislator abstained, per CNA. DPP Legislator Shen Fa-hui (   ), who chaired the session, said it would be unprecedented if a government budget continued to be postponed in this way.

The KMT and TPP said they rejected the budget in opposition to funding earmarked for compensation for logging bans for Indigenous people, health insurance, and the government's acquisition of public food stock. For these reasons, the KMT and TPP caucuses also rejected the budget on Friday (Sept. 20).

KMT Legislator Chen Yu-jen (   ) said the legislature has passed laws requiring increased funding for these items. She said if the Cabinet redrafts the budget to include adequate funding, the KMT caucus will vote to pass it.

Before the Tuesday vote, TPP caucus leader Huang Kuo-chang (   ) said the TPP and KMT caucuses would return the budget bills, citing the same reasons for rejecting it as on Friday.

Aware that the bill would not receive enough support, DPP legislators held up placards in protest during the vote.

An amendment to the law governing cross-strait relations proposed by the DPP's Puma Shen (   ) was also voted down in Tuesday's session. The amendment would require legislators to apply for the central government's permission to travel to China.

The budget bill will be voted on again when the legislature reconvenes on Friday (Sept. 27).
View Quote

This budget gets voted on one more time, and if it fails, then they start all over.

The part in red may be accurate, or it may be a way to cut off defense spending. I think it was two weeks ago, we did the stories about the opposition to defense spending increases.

The Part in blue is a "floating" line because the KMT spokesperson, Chen Yu-Jen, didn't make an offer of how much more in funding would be adequate.

Link Posted: 9/24/2024 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't make my mind up about whether to include story in the pantheon of History here, but it's more of a wishful thinking story. Here's just the link and heading:
Deputy defense minister says US allies could help clear Taiwan arms backlog

Here's a very interesting story:
Taiwan's TSMC engineers in Arizona have 200 newborns
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Approximately 20% of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) employees have had children since being assigned to Arizona.

Over 1,000 engineers from Taiwan and their families have moved to the US since the Arizona plant held a ceremony in December 2022 for the first batch of semiconductor equipment. Reports surfaced by employees that TSMC wives had given birth to "American babies," with hundreds born within two years.

TSMC has not disclosed the number of employees giving birth in the US. However, China Times reported that Taiwanese employees have given birth to over 200 American babies, with some families having a baby every year.
View Quote

Liberty Times reported that local overseas Taiwanese communities said there is a growing number of TSMC employees giving birth in the US, with around 20 cases per month. Some TSMC wives have formed chat groups to share childbirth and childcare experiences and resources.

In 2022, BBC explored reasons TSMC engineers were willing to relocate their families. Three young engineers interviewed admitted their goal was to create a safety net for the next generation.

One engineer surnamed Lee ( ) said he and his wife plan to have a child in the US during his three-year assignment to provide the next generation with the "insurance" of US citizenship. "Our child can choose to be educated in Taiwan or the US. If the Chinese Communist Party invades, he can return to the US, giving him options," he said.
View Quote
I'm okay with this. Growing up here in the SF Bay Area (born in '61), we had a lot of Taiwanese here in a multitude of high-end manufacturing corps. IBM to North American (now called Northrup). One of my bestus little buddies was the son of a North American aeronautical engineer. We did a lot of model airplanes together, and his Mom always made up lunch!!!!!!!!! All the time!!!!!!!!!!!!! By virtue of being born in SF, I impressed the family with my innate ability to use chopsticks. Yes, I was a favored guest, for a little kid.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 1:48:33 AM EDT
[#32]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0921_jpeg-3331883.JPG
View Quote

We have a few different times here!!!!

We also have this story:
Chinese satellite launch passes over Taiwan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   A Chinese rocket carrying a satellite passed through the eastern part of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Tuesday morning (Sept. 24).

The Ministry of National Defense (MND) said the rocket was launched from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in Shanxi at 10:33 a.m. It flew south toward the Yellow Sea, flying over eastern Taiwan, and then headed toward the waters east of the Philippines, MND said. The rocket's altitude was outside the atmosphere, posing no threat to Taiwan, it added.

The MND said it monitored the launch and took appropriate precautionary measures.

In January, China launched the Einstein Probe from Sichuan Province. The satellite flew over Taiwan's southern airspace.

China said the probe was a small satellite designed for high-energy astrophysics and astronomy research. It was a joint project between the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the European Space Agency, and Germany's Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics.

Taiwan Space Agency Deputy Director Chu Chung-hui (   ) said at the time that the satellite launch did not appear to prioritize safety. Chu said that due to multiple segments detaching during the satellite's launch, they could potentially fall anywhere, posing a safety concern. However, China does not seem to pay attention to these kinds of issues, he said.

The deputy director said typically, trajectories are set over the ocean to avoid flying over land areas.
View Quote
When I first read this story, I was really interested in the trajectory the rocket of this story took! It went into a direction where I couldn't tell if it was to be geosyncronous equatorial orbit or what it was actually. Sort of a sharp turn heading for Australia. But that's this story.

The two that GoldenMead and Carmel posted are interesting in this way: for the sake of argument, everything presented is true; the PRC has a missile shot for scientific purposes and in less than 24 hours, a missile shot for military purposes. They truly have the ability to talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 1:52:20 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Thanks for posting the daily nuisance!!

I can't tell what's going on any more!!
Here's what's on the MND site:
2024/09/25 PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan
 Date    
6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Tuesday to Wednesday, Sep. 24-25

PLA activities
2 PLA aircraft and 6 PLAN vessels operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today. 2 of the aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and entered Taiwan's eastern ADIZ. ROC Armed Forces have monitored the situation and employed CAP aircraft, Navy vessels, and coastal missile systems in response to the detected activities.
That's quite a difference in the number of aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#34]
China tests intercontinental ballistic missile in Pacific for first time since 1980

First major missile launch since hypersonic tests in 2021 comes ahead of anticipated Biden-Xi phone call

https://www.ft.com/content/561d16ee-5dd5-4ee6-8c42-63372040b37b
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#35]
China tests intercontinental ballistic missile in Pacific for first time since 1980

First major missile launch since hypersonic tests in 2021 comes ahead of anticipated Biden-Xi phone call

View All Quotes

This story is getting bigger, Boys!
I couldn't get past the paywall that my browser gave me.
I can with this link:

I also read the Reuters' version, and it's the typical "cup the balls with short strokes at the bottom of the shaft" type reporting when it comes to the PRC: useless.

Let's get some quotes from GoldenMead's first posting:
China fired an intercontinental ballistic missile into the Pacific Ocean for the first time in 44 years on Wednesday, a show of force set to fuel concerns in the US and among its neighbours.

The test, Beijing's first major missile launch since twin hypersonic weapons tests in the summer of 2021, comes as the People's Liberation Army is conducting intensive air and naval drills around the region and ahead of a call between Chinese leader Xi Jinping and US President Joe Biden expected in the coming weeks.

The ICBM carrying a dummy warhead was launched into international waters at 8.44am, China's defence ministry said, adding that it was a "routine arrangement in our annual training plan" in line with international law and not directed against any country or target.
But observers interpreted the launch as a political message, saying it could heighten concerns in the US about Beijing's modernisation of its nuclear weapons.
Taiwan News reported on another missile shot, but that was to launch two satellites. There was also a second missile shot from the same "sea platform" after this intercontinental ballistic missile shot that launched 8 satellites. More on that in a different post.

Analysts said the Rocket Force, the PLA arm in charge of conventional and nuclear missile operations, uses ranges in Xinjiang or the Bohai Sea as target areas in almost all its tests.

"It is very rare for them to use a range other than these two as an ICBM firing range, the last time being in 1980," said Hsu Yen-chi, a researcher at the Council on Strategic and Wargaming Studies think-tank in Taipei.

Beijing did not specify which missile it tested on Wednesday or the launch location. But four security officials in Asia said the launch came out of Hainan, southern China, and was assessed to be a road-mobile ICBM such as the Dongfeng-41.

"It doesn't seem to have been launched from a [Rocket Force] base or the Wenchang Space Launch centre. Most likely, it was launched from a coastal area," said Duan Dang, a maritime security analyst based in Vietnam.

China, Japan, the Philippines, the US and French Polynesia published navigational warnings of potential space debris in several areas in the South China Sea, the Luzon Strait, the Philippine Sea and waters in the south Pacific between Tokelau and Tahiti, indicating that Beijing had notified some countries.

However, it only informed them of a "space flight" event and did not mention a planned ICBM test, the officials said.

This is an AP story on the event:
China test-fires an intercontinental ballistic missile into the Pacific Ocean
TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP)   China test-fired an intercontinental ballistic missile into the Pacific Ocean on Wednesday, stirring security concerns in the region already tense over Beijing's territorial claims and rivalry with the U.S.

The ICBM carried a dummy warhead and fell into a designated area of the sea, the Defense Ministry said in a statement posted to social media.

The launch by the People's Liberation Army's Rocket Force was part of routine annual training, complied with international law and was not directed against any country or target, according to the statement.

It is unclear how often China conducts tests over such a distance. In 1980, China launched an ICBM into the South Pacific.

A map published in Chinese newspapers at the time showed the target area as roughly a circle in the center of a ring formed by the Solomon Islands, Nauru, the Gilbert Islands, Tuvalu, western Samoa, Fiji and the New Hebrides.

The U.S. and non-governmental organizations have said China has been building up its missile silos, but it's unclear how many missiles and nuclear warheads it has added to its arsenal.

The People's Liberation Army, which functions as the ruling Communist Party's military wing, runs China's space program, which has established an orbital station and has ambitions to set up a Moon base and land a spacecraft on Mars.

Rocketry has long been part of China's development into a major global power, spurring nationalism and growth that has made China the world's second-largest economy.
Even the PRC's commercial satellite program is run by the PLA.

Tests of China's intercontinental ballistic missiles into international waters are rare. Experts and a historical survey of China's program by the Washington-based Nuclear Threat Initiative suggest the last occurred in May 1980. That test saw China launch its DF-5 missile into the South Pacific.

China typically launches missiles toward its western deserts from its east coast, said James Acton, the co-director of the Nuclear Policy Program and a senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. The fact that China launched a test that splashed down in international waters was unusual, but mirrors testing that the United States does for its own ballistic missile fleet.

"When they haven't done something for 44 years and then they do it, that's significant," Acton told The Associated Press. "It's China's way of telling us, 'Like you, we're not ashamed we have nuclear weapons and we're going to behave like a great nuclear power.'"

The launch came amid the ongoing United Nations General Assembly in New York. China is one of five veto-holding permanent members of the U.N.'s Security Council and has sought to gain influence over its key departments involving human rights and that align with its authoritarian system.

"We're entering a new age. We're entering an age where the U.S. and China are engulfed in what feel like an arms race," said Jeffrey Lewis, a missile expert at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in the U.S.

"The Chinese government always prioritized diplomatic issues over operational readiness. It's just a different China. It's a China that does not feel constrained," he said.

"There's a renewed emphasis on assuring themselves these systems work and demonstrating to others they work," Lewis added.

The AP report also added this bit at the end:
Meanwhile, tensions remain high over Taiwan, and with the Philippines, where the U.S. Army has deployed its new mid-range missile system, known as Typhon, to Northern Luzon. On Wednesday, two Filipino officials said the U.S. and the Philippines have agreed to keep the system there indefinitely to deter China.

"I don't know what's the plan, but if I were to be followed, if I were given the choice, I would like to have the Typhon here in the Philippines forever because we need it for our defense," said Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr., the head of the Philippines' military.

There is a context for all of today's events: the Ukraine, Mid-East, Western South Pacific.
Here's a take:

John Keegan in the epilogue of his book On War wrote that "the appearance of weakness invites attack." He wrote the book in an effort to try and understand why Wars exist.

In 2010, then Pres. Obama effectively ended "Pax Americana", went on a World-wide apology tour, and also promptly started "bullying" smaller countries like Libya, the Ukraine, the "Arab Spring" through his new vision of American foreign policy of "lead from behind."

In 2014, after organizing and executing another "color revolution" in the Ukraine and with the subsequent reaction of the Russians taking over the Eastern provinces and the Crimea, that looked to me like the opening stages for WWIII.

In 2016, as everyone's favorite party girl, H. Clinton, lossed the election, but for the entire campaign blamed Russia for everything (favored Trump, Pee-Tape, "hacking" of the DNC, etc.), and it's because of "them" that she lost. The Russians, being a simple people, only took this as a message or the final piece of the puzzle that the Democratic Party of the US wants War with Russia.

Then there's all that money to the Iranians. It deserves and exclaimation mark, but also a question mark. I've had a working theory for decades regarding domestic politics, that the Republicans see their enemies as outside US borders while the Democrats only see their enemies within US borders.

Then there's the destruction of US borders, immigration policy and just overall breaking down, systematically mind you, American society. The Country that Alexander de Toqueville wrote about in the late 1930s no longer exists. We're now a historical anomaly: a Country created in order that an individual could "design" his own fate to this indescribable mess.

I always thought that John Keegan was beyond a genius. But, it seems to me he may not have realized one important aspect of his study on War: countries create their own enemies just like people do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Still under a 1,000, Pentagon?  Jesus, what a load of bullshit and cope.  At least they're not still using that idiotic number from the mid 60s anymore.

Off to armscontrolwonk to see what Dr Lewis et al have to say about the launch...
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#37]

We also have this story:
When I first read this story, I was really interested in the trajectory the rocket of this story took! It went into a direction where I couldn't tell if it was to be geosyncronous equatorial orbit or what it was actually. Sort of a sharp turn heading for Australia. But that's this story.

The two that GoldenMead and Carmel posted are interesting in this way: for the sake of argument, everything presented is true; the PRC has a missile shot for scientific purposes and in less than 24 hours, a missile shot for military purposes. They truly have the ability to talk out of both sides of their mouth.

View All Quotes

We also have this story:
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   A Chinese rocket carrying a satellite passed through the eastern part of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Tuesday morning (Sept. 24).

The Ministry of National Defense (MND) said the rocket was launched from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in Shanxi at 10:33 a.m. It flew south toward the Yellow Sea, flying over eastern Taiwan, and then headed toward the waters east of the Philippines, MND said. The rocket's altitude was outside the atmosphere, posing no threat to Taiwan, it added.

The MND said it monitored the launch and took appropriate precautionary measures.

In January, China launched the Einstein Probe from Sichuan Province. The satellite flew over Taiwan's southern airspace.

China said the probe was a small satellite designed for high-energy astrophysics and astronomy research. It was a joint project between the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the European Space Agency, and Germany's Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics.

Taiwan Space Agency Deputy Director Chu Chung-hui (   ) said at the time that the satellite launch did not appear to prioritize safety. Chu said that due to multiple segments detaching during the satellite's launch, they could potentially fall anywhere, posing a safety concern. However, China does not seem to pay attention to these kinds of issues, he said.

The deputy director said typically, trajectories are set over the ocean to avoid flying over land areas.

I have no idea why they just don't send everything out of Hainan Island.  Closer to the Equator, too.

They seem to delight in dropping hypergolic-filled stages on villagers.  Even the Soviets didn't do that shit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#38]
got a Score Card, but I'm no longer certain where it is in the grand scheme of things:
Taiwan tracks 6 Chinese naval vessels and 2 military helicopters
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked six Chinese naval vessels and two military aircraft around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Tuesday (Sept. 24) and 6 a.m. on Wednesday.

The two People's Liberation Army (PLA) helicopters crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the nation's central and eastern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked 323 Chinese military aircraft and 192 ships.
View Quote
I have no idea what route the PLA helicopter in area 2 flew to get to it's station out in the East. Both helicopters are reported to have been on station for around 3 hours each.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 5:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#39]
This story is getting bigger, Boys!
I couldn't get past the paywall that my browser gave me.
I can with this link:

I also read the Reuters' version, and it's the typical "cup the balls with short strokes at the bottom of the shaft" type reporting when it comes to the PRC: useless.

Let's get some quotes from GoldenMead's first posting:
Taiwan News reported on another missile shot, but that was to launch two satellites. There was also a second missile shot from the same "sea platform" after this intercontinental ballistic missile shot that launched 8 satellites. More on that in a different post.

This is an AP story on the event:
China test-fires an intercontinental ballistic missile into the Pacific Ocean

Even the PRC's commercial satellite program is run by the PLA.

The AP report also added this bit at the end:

There is a context for all of today's events: the Ukraine, Mid-East, Western South Pacific.
Here's a take:

John Keegan in the epilogue of his book On War wrote that "the appearance of weakness invites attack." He wrote the book in an effort to try and understand why Wars exist.

In 2010, then Pres. Obama effectively ended "Pax Americana", went on a World-wide apology tour, and also promptly started "bullying" smaller countries like Libya, the Ukraine, the "Arab Spring" through his new vision of American foreign policy of "lead from behind."

In 2014, after organizing and executing another "color revolution" in the Ukraine and with the subsequent reaction of the Russians taking over the Eastern provinces and the Crimea, that looked to me like the opening stages for WWIII.

In 2016, as everyone's favorite party girl, H. Clinton, lossed the election, but for the entire campaign blamed Russia for everything (favored Trump, Pee-Tape, "hacking" of the DNC, etc.), and it's because of "them" that she lost. The Russians, being a simple people, only took this as a message or the final piece of the puzzle that the Democratic Party of the US wants War with Russia.

Then there's all that money to the Iranians. It deserves and exclaimation mark, but also a question mark. I've had a working theory for decades regarding domestic politics, that the Republicans see their enemies as outside US borders while the Democrats only see their enemies within US borders.

Then there's the destruction of US borders, immigration policy and just overall breaking down, systematically mind you, American society. The Country that Alexander de Toqueville wrote about in the late 1930s no longer exists. We're now a historical anomaly: a Country created in order that an individual could "design" his own fate to this indescribable mess.

I always thought that John Keegan was beyond a genius. But, it seems to me he may not have realized one important aspect of his study on War: countries create their own enemies just like people do.
View Quote

People cry, get angry, call for mods or say nuh hunh no way, when I post my thoughts so I’m going to continue just posting news articles 87% of the time in other threads and hot women and jokes in 10% of the rest of my posts. People don’t like the truth and want to be told what they’d like to hear. The one positive for this thread is GD doesn’t care, so very few people arrive and bring drama to it on a regular basis. The bad news is maybe me and 10 other people will have read your post
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

People cry, get angry, call for mods or say nuh hunh no way, when I post my thoughts so I’m going to continue just posting news articles 87% of the time in other threads and hot women and jokes in 10% of the rest of my posts. People don’t like the truth and want to be told what they’d like to hear. The one positive for this thread is GD doesn’t care, so very few people arrive and bring drama to it on a regular basis. The bad news is maybe me and 10 other people will have read your post
View Quote

There’s some lurkers…

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#41]

People cry, get angry, call for mods or say nuh hunh no way, when I post my thoughts so I'm going to continue just posting news articles 87% of the time in other threads and hot women and jokes in 10% of the rest of my posts. People don't like the truth and want to be told what they'd like to hear. The one positive for this thread is GD doesn't care, so very few people arrive and bring drama to it on a regular basis. The bad news is maybe me and 10 other people will have read your post
View All Quotes

People cry, get angry, call for mods or say nuh hunh no way, when I post my thoughts so I'm going to continue just posting news articles 87% of the time in other threads and hot women and jokes in 10% of the rest of my posts. People don't like the truth and want to be told what they'd like to hear. The one positive for this thread is GD doesn't care, so very few people arrive and bring drama to it on a regular basis. The bad news is maybe me and 10 other people will have read your post
My Brother, my post is just a post, albiet with evidence from primary and secondary sources, and your point is well taken! But among the people that contribute to this thread, everyone is defending the thread. There's only been a few people who've come in trying to derail, but there's been a lot of readers/views. Our luck may end one day, but we'll deal with it as best we can until it gets locked. Plus, the one thing that binds us together is that there's going to be a War. There's no question about that. They've already started.

The only question is who dies, who suffers and to what extent. It was the ancient Greeks (no one really knows btw) that came up with the saying "weak men bring hard times; hard times make strong men; strong men bring good times; good times make weak men." Let's say it was the ancient Greeks or at least one of them that came up with this saying to cover a generational observation. Humanity has not progressed much in over 3,000 years.

<segue> and neither has this story progressed much</segue>

Your post and GoldenMead's post agree with each other. We then had two stories about satellite launches at the same time frame to confuse the actions taken by the PRC. This may be a tactic they use in the future: a mixture of commercial satellite launches with ballistic missile launches.

Commercial satellite launches usually follow a track to go around the equator for a geosynchronous orbit, or they head for one of the poles for a polar orbit. I'm sure there are probably other orbits that I know nothing about, but the point is these are established orbits. Plus, now I think that the Taiwan News report is about a missile shot that went polar instead of equator??

But now, we have this space.com story that says there have been two launches on 20SEP24 6 hours apart:
China launches 10 satellites on 2 rockets less than 6 hours apart (video)
China launched separate sets of Earth-observation and "Internet of Things" satellites into orbit on Friday (Sept. 20) on two different missions.

The action began at 12:11 a.m EDT (0411 GMT, or 12:11 p.m. Beijing time) on Friday, when a Long March 2D rocket lifted off from Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern China. Insulation tiles fell away from the rocket's payload fairing as it climbed into cloudy skies above the spaceport.

Aboard were six remote-sensing satellites for Changguang Satellite Technology (CGST), a commercial spinoff from the Chinese Academy of Sciences. The Jilin-1 Kuanfu (wideband) 02B satellites numbers 1-6 add to CGST's Jilin-1 commercial remote-sensing constellation, which is planned to consist of 300 satellites when completed, and provide high-resolution imagery. The company was founded in 2014 and has already launched more than 100 satellites.

U.S. Space Force space domain tracking picked up objects associated with the launch in near-circular, 339 by 330-mile (545 by 531 kilometers) near-polar orbits. This choice of orbit, common for Earth observation and remote sensing, allows the satellites to image the same spots on the planet at the same time of day repeatedly.

China's second launch of the day took place just under six hours later. A Kuaizhou 1A solid rocket launched  at 5:43 a.m. EDT (0943 GMT, or 5:43 p.m. Beijing time) from Xichang Satellite Launch Center in the country's southwest, according to Expace, the commercial launch provider affiliated with the state-owned defense giant CASIC.

Aboard were four Tianqi satellites, numbered 29-32, for Guodian Gaoke, a Chinese commercial satellite operator. The satellites provide low-bandwidth communication to connect Internet of Things (IoT) devices in remote or hard-to-reach locations.

The U.S. Space Force tracked the satellites from the launch in 529 by 523-mile-altitude (852 by 842 km) orbits inclined by 45 degrees.

I love this part of the story:
The rocket was sponsored by the children's nutrition brand Inne, according to Expace. The launches were China's 42nd and 43rd of the year.
Is there a part of Chinese society that is not involved with the PLA?

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#42]
My Brother, my post is just a post, albiet with evidence from primary and secondary sources, and your point is well taken! But among the people that contribute to this thread, everyone is defending the thread. There's only been a few people who've come in trying to derail, but there's been a lot of readers/views. Our luck may end one day, but we'll deal with it as best we can until it gets locked. Plus, the one thing that binds us together is that there's going to be a War. There's no question about that. They've already started.

The only question is who dies, who suffers and to what extent. It was the ancient Greeks (no one really knows btw) that came up with the saying "weak men bring hard times; hard times make strong men; strong men bring good times; good times make weak men." Let's say it was the ancient Greeks or at least one of them that came up with this saying to cover a generational observation. Humanity has not progressed much in over 3,000 years.

and neither has this story progressed much

Your post and GoldenMead's post agree with each other. We then had two stories about satellite launches at the same time frame to confuse the actions taken by the PRC. This may be a tactic they use in the future: a mixture of commercial satellite launches with ballistic missile launches.

Commercial satellite launches usually follow a track to go around the equator for a geosynchronous orbit, or they head for one of the poles for a polar orbit. I'm sure there are probably other orbits that I know nothing about, but the point is these are established orbits. Plus, now I think that the Taiwan News report is about a missile shot that went polar instead of equator??

But now, we have this space.com story that says there have been two launches on 20SEP24 6 hours apart:

View Quote

There’s still a chunk of GD clinging to no war claims, especially among those who think a war takes attention away from their causes
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Your President has spoken:
US president reaffirms Taiwan Strait peace at UN General Assembly
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   US President Joe Biden underscored peace in the Taiwan Strait in his speech at the 79th UN General Assembly.

Biden said the US is "unabashed" in its fight against unfair economic competition and military coercion in the South China Sea, in maintaining peace and stability across the Taiwan Straits, and in protecting advanced technologies.
View Quote

The president pledged to continue growing the network of partnerships in the Indo-Pacific. "These partnerships are not against any nation," he said, adding, "They are building blocks for a free, open, secure, and peaceful Indo-Pacific.  
View Quote

Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs thanked Biden for his reaffirmation of support for peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait. The ministry vowed to continue cooperating with the US and other like-minded countries to safeguard peace, stability, and prosperity in the Taiwan Strait and the region.

The foreign ministry pointed out that Biden reiterated his commitment to the Taiwan Strait and the Indo-Pacific region at the QUAD leaders' summit last week.
View Quote

and hopefully something does come out of these meetings:
The US will soon establish the Partnership for Indo-Pacific Industrial Resilience with its allies, including Taiwan, according to Jedidiah Royal, the US principal deputy assistant secretary of defense for Indo-Pacific security affairs.

The Pentagon will host the first meeting in Hawaii in approximately two weeks, with at least 12 Indo-Pacific and European allies participating, he said. The initiative aims to streamline the production of weapons systems.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

China like Iran and to a degree Russia love the gray war hybrid war assymetric warfare approach so you’re probably right.

I’ll stay tuned for future details on the launches
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#45]

There's still a chunk of GD clinging to no war claims, especially among those who think a war takes attention away from their causes
View All Quotes

There's still a chunk of GD clinging to no war claims, especially among those who think a war takes attention away from their causes
GD gonna GD as will as the rest of Humanity. There's the saying from the Old Testament originally written/spoken almost 3,000 years ago: "there's nothing new under the sun." Don't fret it, Brother, no matter how irritating it is. Easier said than done for certain.

But you can look at it this way: the first Willie Wonka movie with Gene Wilder as Willie. Everytime one if the kids and/or adults violated a rule, Willie let the consequence play out while saying almost under his breath, "stop" or "don't do it." In this Universe actions have consequences and consequences will be suffered. (Sometimes, no maybe a lot of times the suffering is unfair or unjust, but such is Life.)

I have another example, a harsher one. When I was in the Air Force, I was credited with saving people! But, did I really save anyone? Lost people for sure. First time I did CPR on someone, they were even more dead when I stopped. But, I one day after me and the two other idiots couldn't find a little girl in a house after two failed searches, I remember sitting on the tail board of the truck waiting for the fire to be put out, so I could help with the overhaul. While I was sitting there thinking, I realized, I never really saved anyone. The people I was given credit for saving had done things that allowed them to be saved. I was just there for the glory. The people lost had done everything they possibly could to fuck up. There's more people in this second group than the first group.

You can only lead by example. Words are pretty meaningless to this second group.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 6:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#46]
GD gonna GD as will as the rest of Humanity. There's the saying from the Old Testament originally written/spoken almost 3,000 years ago: "there's nothing new under the sun." Don't fret it, Brother, no matter how irritating it is. Easier said than done for certain.

But you can look at it this way: the first Willie Wonka movie with Gene Wilder as Willie. Everytime one if the kids and/or adults violated a rule, Willie let the consequence play out while saying almost under his breath, "stop" or "don't do it." In this Universe actions have consequences and consequences will be suffered. (Sometimes, no maybe a lot of times the suffering is unfair or unjust, but such is Life.)

I have another example, a harsher one. When I was in the Air Force, I was credited with saving people! But, did I really save anyone? Lost people for sure. First time I did CPR on someone, they were even more dead when I stopped. But, I one day after me and the two other idiots couldn't find a little girl in a house after two failed searches, I remember sitting on the tail board of the truck waiting for the fire to be put out, so I could help with the overhaul. While I was sitting there thinking, I realized, I never really saved anyone. The people I was given credit for saving had done things that allowed them to be saved. I was just there for the glory. The people lost had done everything they possibly could to fuck up. There's more people in this second group than the first group.

You can only lead by example. Words are pretty meaningless to this second group.
View Quote

All true

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Wise words Zoinks.  Keep posting your opinions Carmel they are needed here.

Back to China’s ICBM and satellite launches yesterday.  When the US or Russia does a test of a ICBM we notify each other so there is no misunderstandings.  It appears the Chinese just issued a NOTAM for space debris in the landing area.  Did they tell the US in advance?  I can’t find any US official saying they did. If they didn’t did we detect the launch at launch?  Supposedly we can detect a ICBM being launched anywhere in the world.  Taiwan seemed to be surprised by the satellite launches and the ICBM.  I find this whole thing unnerving.  Once again I’ll point out our lack of public intel on the Chinese activities.  From my crystal ball 8,000 miles away it looks like China is making big moves.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 10:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoldenMead] [#48]
I’ll leave the PLA activity around Taiwan today to Zoinks, but let’s just say it’s a doozy.

The Geopolitics of Port Security in the Americas

People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) has assumed a new role as guarantor of Chinese port projects and the sea routes leading to them around the world. In turn, China’s growing network of ports directly aids the PLAN’s power projection capabilities and blue water aspirations by providing convenient points for docking and resupply. In the United Arab Emirates and Equatorial Guinea, for instance, PRC-backed port projects were found to have been built to explicit specifications, allowing military vessels to berth there.

https://www.csis.org/analysis/geopolitics-port-security-americas

Some graphics on the ICBM.
Attachment Attached File

DF-31A was likely used
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 10:08:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoldenMead] [#49]
Big news!

A Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force vessel has sailed through the Taiwan Strait for the first time, a source familiar with the matter said Thursday, in an apparent challenge to China's growing military assertiveness in the region.

The destroyer Sazanami, along with Australian and New Zealand vessels, conducted the transit on Wednesday in the narrow waterway between China and Taiwan, a self-ruled island that China claims as its own territory, according to the source.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2024/09/f2aefb85d27d-urgent-japan-defense-force-ship-sails-through-taiwan-strait-for-1st-time.html
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By KonamiCode:

There's some lurkers

View Quote

Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top