BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I heard from a FedEx line haul driver that their contractor model is coming to an end and the trucks will all be driven by employees before long.

I haven't seen anything to confirm it, nor do I really care that much.
View Quote

that would fix a huge number of problems for Ground.  

Express just needs an across the board (for drivers and immediate supervisors) 20% pay raise.  

administrators can keep licking doorknobs.  it's the couriers and everyone who actually touches the packages or flies the planes or drives the semis that make the system work.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

fedex ground courier is contractor

fedex express couriers are employees.

ground sucks festering donkey balls.  

used to be an Express courier.  totally different operations.  

Ground here treats their employees like convicts.  armed guards, turnstiles, metal detectors.  cameras everywhere like a prison visiting room.
View Quote

I used to work at an Amazon warehouse. Similar treatment of the employees.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This. I used to Jumpseat on FedEx to the Indy hub. I kind of laughed when they said I had to run my bags through the X-ray machine and go through a metal detector to LEAVE the facility.

Then, I saw how serious they were.
View Quote

so we kept having PAYROLL envelopes to deliver SDR FO.  Saturday, First Overnight.  most expensive way to ship anything.  addressee was the HR office weenie at FedEx Ground.  I get the envelope on my route.  drive over to the Ground facility.  attempt to deliver it.  system requires I make the attempt.

none of the private contractor security pukes would sign for it.  refused delivery.  

zero actual FedEx employees on site on a Saturday, everyone there was a contractor.  

you mean you can't put this in an inter office mailbox so hr has it first thing Monday?  nope.  refused delivery.  

happened several times.  

the FedEx Ground couriers I know are busting their ass but they are in a shitshow.  

if UPS figures out how to hire and keep good couriers and other operations people, more power to them.  

I would still be a FedEx Express courier except I landed the ONE Apple Mac technician job available in a 50 mile radius, about six months in.  took a pay cut.  managers didn't want me to go. but I'm at home with wife on Saturdays now and not a zombie on Sundays recovering from a six day week.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good!   As a Customer, that’s exactly what we want and need.
Only way to keep them honest.
View Quote

or just hire good honest people.  

offering noncompetitive hourly wages and letting hr hire people with seriously flawed background check results costs you more in the supposed security infrastructure than just offering more per hour and being more selective about who you hire.

the CID FedEx Express station is inside an airport fence so TSA is the filter - you have to pass a Secure Threat Assessment background check just to work there.  

Ground has a new shiny giant building about 3 miles east, they can hire anything that breathes and walks if they want to.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd hate to have to commute to where their office is, but that's part of the negotiation when you're looking for work. I wonder how many employees moved to N. GA to get away from Fulton and DeKalb counties in the last three years hoping they wouldn't have to go back to the office.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good. They went along with the plan to prevent regular folks from shipping firearms, parts, etc. Let them suffer.
View Quote

fedgov forced the rules change down from above since they set the rules for interstate transport.  I was pissed that FedEx and UPS didn't put up ANY kind of fight at all.  was still a courier when that change went through.  

your tax dollars at work.  elections have consequences.  

barry went after the firearms industry on the money side, got banks to stop offering business loans to firearms businesses.  

sniff is going after ffls for paperwork mistakes and also on the interstate transport side that barry never did.

these out of control bureaucracies are getting weaponized and it needs to stop.  FAA and DOT need to stfu and allow lawful commerce to happen.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Facility is 10 miles away and you didn't just go ask?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought about creating a thread just to vent…now I don’t have to

I got something sent to me last week, put in the “mail” on Wednesday for 2 day air.  I got a delivery notice I would get it on Friday from an email on Thursday.  The package arrived at my local facility (less than 10 miles from my house) Thursday night at 11:59PM.  At 6:15 am on Friday I got a notice that my package was in a severe weather delay…….  It has been above freezing since last Wed and only one or two days of rain.  Package is in the same status as of this moment…...  I tried the automated system which was the only option, sent an email and still nothing but crickets.  I am now contacting the seller to make sure he gets his upgraded shipping fees returned, I could care less if I get the money but this shit is pathetic.

Their customer service office is behind a fence, their office is open 3 hours a day and wasn't open on the weekend.  Not sure about you but I have a job I have to be at from time to time.  I am sure some of you guys would love a good news story but not sure "crazy guy from ARF breaks into local UPS facility and ransacks the place" would help the cause around here.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Marijuana Growers Union SNL
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

fyi, I had 4 pkg (3 different shipments) sitting at the FedEx Ground facility in CID for A FUCKING WEEK and they not only didn't let me know I could tell them to hold at location and I would pick it up but...

THEIR ASININE SYSTEM WOULD NOT ALLOW IT.  

ups might be the same.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]

They need to make rent payments to make the building owners happy along with supporting businesses (restaurants, etc).
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd hate to have to commute to where their office is, but that's part of the negotiation when you're looking for work. I wonder how many employees moved to N. GA to get away from Fulton and DeKalb counties in the last three years hoping they wouldn't have to go back to the office.
View Quote

I grew up in Dekalb County.  Supposedly it is far worse than when I lived there in Ozzie and Harriet days.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i love reading this shit
all the morons who think WFH is a good thing for them are about to get smacked by the long dick of reality.
if you can work from home, anyone can do your job. be it AI, outsourcing, etc.
if i ever worked from home i would be the first one requesting to go back to the office
View Quote

Found the boomer!
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ground here treats their employees like convicts.  armed guards, turnstiles, metal detectors.  cameras everywhere like a prison visiting room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yea, because everyone knows how awesome fedex is

This.

My Express driver is awesome.

I wouldn't piss on my Ground driver to put him out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

offering noncompetitive hourly wages and letting hr hire people with seriously flawed background check results costs you more in the supposed security infrastructure than just offering more per hour and being more selective about who you hire.

the CID FedEx Express station is inside an airport fence so TSA is the filter - you have to pass a Secure Threat Assessment background check just to work there.  

Ground has a new shiny giant building about 3 miles east, they can hire anything that breathes and walks if they want to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good!   As a Customer, that’s exactly what we want and need.
Only way to keep them honest.

Same for us here in Georgetown, brand new facility. Starting wage $16.50/hr, fast food can start at $18/hr. Plus Toyota now hires off the street at $22/hr.

Tried to tell them that Georgetown is a very hard place on labor, the car plant/suppliers eat up the labor force.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I interviewed with them in 2016 for a corporate job. The place was creepy as shit.

They openly knocked my resume because I had worked for the Jim Webb 2016 presidential campaign. I was told, that we are a Republican company because globalism is good for the company.

Keep in mind Webb was one if not the last old school Southern Democrat (pro blue collar worker, protectionism, Trump with a bit of a brain)
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It’s funny how clueless some of you guys are when it comes to job requirements and the opportunities available.
View Quote

Lol yep, my wife is killing it doing WFH, and the people in the Indian offices are so retarded that they shit canned a bunch of them and have people in the states and Canada doing their jobs.

She doesn’t need to go into an office to place people in C-suite jobs in Colombia, Poland and India. It makes 0 sense whatsoever for her to head into an office.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Your UPS delivery driver will still show up for work, and the Brown Vans will be driving just as many miles, and  they'll deliver just as many packages, while using 12,000 FEWER middle management personnel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:04:07 AM EDT
[#19]
If anyone is bored, Brown Cafe is the unofficial UPS bitch board.  

Some insight into the mental health of the company.

https://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-announces-12-000-job-cuts-says-package-volume-slipped-last-quarter.396574/
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I loaded trucks there in my youth. At Christmas time. Still have nightmares of Harry and David chasing me.

Anywho, UPS works the shit out of employees. Drivers hustle and put in some long days.

But $170,000 is crazy money for a blue collar gig that is 100% OJT.
View Quote

They don’t make $170,000 a year. That is their salary + benefits.

Many years ago a man named Tim Crow thought it would be a great idea to discuss value instead of pay. Carol Tome, now CEO of UPS was CFO of the company Tim was EVP of HR at.

You take pay, 401k match, health insurance expense, available employee stock purchase plan discounts, etc and add it all up. Thats your total value.

If a driver makes $85,000 a year and the company matches 5% on 401k then they actually make $89,250. If they get 15% off stock and can deduct a maximum of $40,000 a year for their stock account they now make $95,625. If the company pays $2,100 a month for employee health benefits now the employees earnings are $120,825.

Slick isn’t it? You use this number to boost morale, when an employee logs into an HRIS it’s bold and impactful. When you give interviews about the company you talk to reporters about employee compensation and their total value using these big numbers and the dumbass reporters report it as pay. It makes great headlines!

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:42:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Union strong!
View Quote

Pending where the cuts are going to be made. I believe that the Teamsters are going to the best thing. Stand by on the side and don't ro jack ahit about it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Many years ago a man named Tim Crow thought it would be a great idea to discuss value instead of pay. Carol Tome, now CEO of UPS was CFO of the company Tim was EVP of HR at.

You take pay, 401k match, health insurance expense, available employee stock purchase plan discounts, etc and add it all up. Thats your total value.

If a driver makes $85,000 a year and the company matches 5% on 401k then they actually make $89,250. If they get 15% off stock and can deduct a maximum of $40,000 a year for their stock account they now make $95,625. If the company pays $2,100 a month for employee health benefits now the employees earnings are $120,825.

Slick isn’t it? You use this number to boost morale, when an employee logs into an HRIS it’s bold and impactful. When you give interviews about the company you talk to reporters about employee compensation and their total value using these big numbers and the dumbass reporters report it as pay. It makes great headlines!

View Quote

Yet the retards here and elsewhere will keep parroting the $170k/yr. myth until the end of time. It just shows how susceptible the weak-minded are to propaganda and repetition.

It's all so tiresome...
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I loaded trucks there in my youth. At Christmas time. Still have nightmares of Harry and David chasing me.

Anywho, UPS works the shit out of employees. Drivers hustle and put in some long days.

But $170,000 is crazy money for a blue collar gig that is 100% OJT.

And the anti-union zealots instinctively lap that shit up without any rational thought process.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:45:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:30:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Yep the union fucked them, those cuts are going to come from somewhere. UPS hasn't made the best financial decisions either with woke policies. GO Woke, GO Broke.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:35:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yep... you want more, we pay more. Oh wait, now our bottom line sucks so we have to lay you off.
View Quote
Quite a familiar cycle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:38:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I heard from a FedEx line haul driver that their contractor model is coming to an end and the trucks will all be driven by employees before long.

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yea, because everyone knows how awesome fedex is

Quoted:
Around here, the FedEx ground is OK.   It's the Express people who really suck in every way.
Moslty I do all I can to avoid FedEx and always specify UPS when I can.
From what I've read online, it varies by area which companies suck and which don't, but UPS here is wonderful.   Those guys will bust their butts to make sure every package gets delivered properly every day.   Sometimes the FedEx ground guy will deliver on Sunday just to cut into the following day's workload.    Express - with those fuckers, "out for delivery" means nothing.   They will use any excuse (or even no excuse at all) to not deliver or to misdeliver.   Don't-give-a-shit attitudes, including local management.  We never count on anything arriving when Express says it will.  Toss the package on a snowbank, tie it to a tree, deliver to a neighbor, drop it off at the other end of the road, claim "bad weather" when there's 2" of snow in NH, just not deliver at all - all these things have been done repeatedly by the local Express people.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

UPS should have done the contractor model years ago.

View Quote

Yeah cuz that's what makes FedEx so good
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Your UPS delivery driver will still show up for work, and the Brown Vans will be driving just as many miles, and  they'll deliver just as many packages, while using 12,000 FEWER middle management personnel.
View Quote

Yep, they will be shocked when profit margins actually increase from this.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#32]
And it's still only January.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most American companies could lose 1/2 their office workers and at least that many middle management and higher and never notice a thing different. They ''bought out''/early retired a ton where I work, NONE were actual ''workers'' in fact they know they need more due to all the boomers retiring. [sorry haters, it's just a fact] The dead weight they were carrying for literally decades was staggering and they could still lose more, the multiple layering makes for horrible accountability in management ranks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They need to make rent payments to make the building owners happy along with supporting businesses (restaurants, etc).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Eh, if you have employees at the physical company location, you can't do a decent job managing at home 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So they're shitcanning people that work there that make absolutely no contribution to the operation of picking up and delivering shit around the world? Cool. Let me know when they start shitcanning operations personnel.
View Quote

Most of the layoffs are Management, the hourly employees at the closed hubs are being allowered to bump into other hubs per seniority.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So they're shitcanning people that work there that make absolutely no contribution to the operation of picking up and delivering shit around the world? Cool. Let me know when they start shitcanning operations personnel.
View Quote

While that’s true - and as a corporation I’m sure there’s plenty of fat at all levels….

These folks, or at least a lot of them keep the lights on, the algorithms tuned up etc so that packages actually get where there going.

In my area, the brown Santa is about the only reliable one.

This isn’t good, and hopefully people can see that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't worry, this won't affect plans to open the $20 million dollar office in India and hire over 1,000 new "employees"

https://www.business-standard.com/companies/news/shipping-logistics-firm-ups-opens-india-s-first-tech-centre-in-chennai-123082800689_1.html

It's a shame most people outside of UPS won't see how this company has changed in the last 25 years since they went public.

Greed and ignorance fueled massive growth spending that really has not paid off. I believe it's because the people who did the buying were not committed to growing and improving their purchase. Further, like a big lazy government organization, there were many inside who actively stonewalled or refused to integrate these new acquisitions. Nor did they treat the new acquisition people with any hint of respect for their person or knowledge of the industry. UPS thought they were the king of the jungle and they could simply hide behind the big brown shield.
View Quote

Bingo!! I watched first hand the slide that UPS did Service is the last thing in their name and the last thing they provide.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sounds like it is mostly corporate workers.  They aren't Teamsters.  

View Quote

Exactly 80% of the people in this thread are totally clueless to what is happening at UPS .
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I originally read that as big layoffs at USPS then I came to my senses
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Aw shit, I thought the huge raise was free money
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just this morning I saw a headline about consumer confidence jumping 6.8 points and the highest it has been since Dec 2021.  Yet big companies are laying off tens of thousands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny I keep hearing it's the best economy we have ever had.
Just this morning I saw a headline about consumer confidence jumping 6.8 points and the highest it has been since Dec 2021.  Yet big companies are laying off tens of thousands.

None of it makes sense. Good economy, bad economy? Manipulated info? I have never been so confused about the economy? I know 1 thing, if someone talks matter of fact about the economy, good, bad, you be pretty sure it’s bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yep... you want more, we pay more. Oh wait, now our bottom line sucks so we have to lay you off.
View Quote

This is what low-level union works simply don't understand. They want that extra $3-5 an hour and end up getting fired due to the company protecting its bottom line.

Now, customers will bitch about longer shipping times, demand faster service, and costs will go up to cover the cost of hiring back a few temps or apprentice employees. New employees will scream about increasing pay and benefits...and the cycle starts all over.

Ironically, I'm so used to mail taking 3-4 weeks to get to Afghanistan, I simply don't expect anything to arrive on time, so when I get it a week late after I forgot about it, it's a pleasant surprise

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Regardless if you think the 12k people did anything or not, what they did do will be put on those there now. 31% is an incredible pay cut.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m pretty sure it’s the opposite. They’re getting ready to turn all the express drivers into contractors. I have a close friend that just retired from express and they’re talking about a buyout at this point for express drivers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i love reading this shit
all the morons who think WFH is a good thing for them are about to get smacked by the long dick of reality.
if you can work from home, anyone can do your job. be it AI, outsourcing, etc.
if i ever worked from home i would be the first one requesting to go back to the office
View Quote

Going into the office is not going to save your job from being sent to India.

American = expensive
Indian = cheap

Getting rid of Americans = cost savings. And they love cost savings.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sounds like it is mostly corporate workers.  They aren't Teamsters.  

They know, they just hate unions here.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The military used to do the same thing.  Every year you would get this letter saying what you ‘really’ made. Funny thing, the banks would laugh if you tried to use it as proof of income.   I think saying something like ‘it costs UPS $170k per year for each driver’ could present a pretty clear picture to the average Joe if done right.  However, you need to remember the average IQ of reporters is somewhere between idiot and imbecile - and half are lower.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

UPS has not guaranteed delivery times since the start of covid.  They are more than happy to take your money for providing that option however.
View Quote

We have a hub about 25 miles away.  I was told that packages often arrive by air at the hub the next day after ordering

but unless the customer has paid extra for next day or two day, they will sit there for 4-5 business days on purpose.

I understand their motivation, but it seems underhanded and unnecessary.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#49]
So, was texting a buddy who works as a feeder driver for UPS, been there, I think 15 years.  Says the people being canned are part time supervisors, some full time, yard control, dispatchers.  Says the "bean counters" are safe.  Then he goes on to say that the CEO needs her pay raise, and the board of directors need their thief bonuses, money gotta come from somewhere.  

He's been making >100K a year (sometimes $120-130k if enough overtime) for a while now, loses $15,600 a year post-tax in alimony, and cries poor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We have a hub about 25 miles away.  I was told that packages often arrive by air at the hub the next day after ordering

but unless the customer has paid extra for next day or two day, they will sit there for 4-5 business days on purpose.

I understand their motivation, but it seems underhanded and unnecessary.
View Quote
They're still paying a guy to kick a box onto the resort belt over and over, whether it's 4 days or 1 day.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top