Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Well played.

I'd like to buy him a beer.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Who said anything about changing history? I have chosen to take a broader view towards the flag and not cherry-pick certain events where losers flew it.

The Confederate battle flag did not magically reappear during the civil rights movement. It has always been around since the 1860's. It is just that you choose to roll with the PC types and believe only what the MSM feeds you. It is the path of least resistance but doesn't present the whole picture.

I have never displayed the Confederate battle flag but if asked I will reply that it is a beautiful piece of Southern heritage. What it represents to somebody else is not my problem and I will not buy one and hide it for fear of hurting some ones feelings.

Just wait until they find out where the US flag has been flown
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason the stars and bars have been deemed racist is because the NAACP started to run out of things to whine about.

Yeah, I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with it flying at every fucking coward Klan rally since 1865..................................    

As posted earlier in this thread, the Klan burned crosses. Does that make a cross racist too?

During the Civil Rights movement, the Confederate Battle Flag was used to show disgust for desegregation. I can't recall people flying Confederate flags during the Civil Rights movement marching together with black people for equal rights. So, yea, it will come off has racist to many.

I am repeating myself..

Reinventing history is fun - if you can make the war not about slavery, why can't you make the flag not about resistance to desegregation?  Reality sucks.

In your sad little mind.

The more I see posts like yours, the more I want to go out and buy a nice high quality rebel flag. Why? Because I can and it bothers folks that are stuck on stupid.

You can go do whatever you want.  You can have a collection of flags of all sorts of defunct nations if you want.  What you can't do is change history, such as the clearly espoused motives of the secessionists and the Confederacy being established in part as a refutation of the "all men are created equal" assertion in the Declaration of Independence, and the reappearance of the flag during the civil rights movement, such as on the Georgia state flag in 1956 and over the South Carolina state capitol (which some insist was only to mark the 100th anniversary of the American Civil War, in typical "piss down my leg and tell me its raining" fashion).  The thoughts, speeches, and writings of the men involved are still there to be seen, by anyone who cares to look.

Who said anything about changing history? I have chosen to take a broader view towards the flag and not cherry-pick certain events where losers flew it.

The Confederate battle flag did not magically reappear during the civil rights movement. It has always been around since the 1860's. It is just that you choose to roll with the PC types and believe only what the MSM feeds you. It is the path of least resistance but doesn't present the whole picture.

I have never displayed the Confederate battle flag but if asked I will reply that it is a beautiful piece of Southern heritage. What it represents to somebody else is not my problem and I will not buy one and hide it for fear of hurting some ones feelings.

I never said it went away and "magically reappeared."  I specifically referred to major moves on the behalf of state legislators, major moves that had a very specific context.

Cherry picking events is a full time hobby for the revisionists here, such as as the very story that started this thread, and the inevitable references to black soldiers in Confederate uniforms, or black slave owners.  We have people who talk about the great great grand pappy's letters, while dismissing the "Cornerstone" speech.  When you place things in context, though, a wholly different picture appears.  It can mean whatever you want it to mean to you, but neither you or I can change history, or the very real reasons some get upset by that symbol due to very real contexts in which it was used to perpetuate a racist system.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#4]
You're taking spinets of history to make your point. As another pointed out, the KKK burns crosses according to your argument all crosses should be considered as racist symbols. People should take the time to brush up on the politically incorrect version of history. Racism is not restricted or isolated to the south or Southerners. While you continue to mention the Confederate flag being held up during the Civil Rights movement, you have failed to note that during the same period there were norther riots over desegregation as well. What symbols were used in the north during the protests to keep Blacks out of the elementary and secondary schools?  The south wasn't the only region of the country to have slaves. New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland had large slave populations as well as very active slave ports.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree. Is it possible that the people who are so easily offended have WAY TOO MUCH time on their hands? I am offended by those who are easily offended.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Racist!

Wait nevermind..

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You're taking spinets of history to make your point. As another pointed out, the KKK burns crosses according to your argument all crosses should be considered as racist symbols. People should take the time to brush up on the politically incorrect version of history. Racism is not restricted or isolated to the south or Southerners. While you continue to mention the Confederate flag being held up during the Civil Rights movement, you have failed to note that during the same period there were norther riots over desegregation as well. What symbols were used in the north during the protests to keep Blacks out of the elementary and secondary schools?  The south wasn't the only region of the country to have slaves. New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland had large slave populations as well as very active slave ports.

Your analogy is ridiculous, and burning crosses is illegal in most places.  If some black guy wanted to do a cross burning in his own front yard, and he was arrested for it, there would be maybe be a parallel.

There are plenty of contexts in which crosses are viewed negatively.  The huge controversy in front of Auschwitz comes to mind.  There is a difference between having an opinion, and refusing to acknowledge historical facts, and the perceptions those create.

The rest of your post is more typical non sequiturs that have nothing to do with the reason people are bothered by that flag.  It is avoiding the history rather than admitting to it.  

What symbols were used in northern racist protests?  Good question.  I can tell you, the one I saw the most growing up was the very flag from this post.  And those waving it were born in Illinois.  Another one you see is the Aryan nations flag.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
God bless him.

The only reason the stars and bars have been deemed racist is because the NAACP started to run out of things to whine about.

To me it has ALWAYS meant States Rights and Southern pride.

NAACP? Oh really? And, I thought the KKK using it and people flying it in opposition to civil rights for black people made it a racist symbol to many.

Get over it.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top