Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 6/10/2024 5:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greyninja]

The first astronaut mission of Boeing's Starliner capsule will last a bit longer than we'd thought.

Starliner launched on June 5, carrying NASA astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams to the International Space Station (ISS) on a shakeout cruise called Crew Flight Test (CFT).

Wilmore and Williams arrived at the orbiting lab on June 6 for a roughly week-long stay — or so we thought. The duo, and Starliner, will actually get to spend a few more days off Earth, NASA announced over the weekend.

https://www.space.com/boeing-starliner-first-astronaut-mission-end-june-18

U.S. Government Media:
Boeing's Starliner strands astronauts in space

***UPDATE***
...they need to test the thrusters on the ground to figure out how to get the astronauts back safely...
NASA and Boeing
are further extending the first Starliner crewed flight but are not yet setting a new target date for returning the capsule to Earth, the organizations announced on Friday.

Boeing’s Starliner capsule “Calypso” will stay at the International Space Station into next month while the company and NASA conduct new testing back on the ground. Boeing’s crew flight test represents the first time Starliner is carrying people, flying NASA astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams.

Officials say the Starliner team is starting a test campaign of the spacecraft’s thruster technology at White Sands, New Mexico – testing that will be completed before Starliner returns to Earth.

View Quote

SpaceX emergency contract:
This is a $266,678 firm-fixed-price delivery order contract awarded to Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) by the Kennedy Space Center, a civilian agency of the U.S. government. The contract is for a "SPECIAL STUDY FOR EMERGENCY RESPONSE" with a completion date of August 15, 2024.
View Quote

https://govtribe.com/award/federal-contract-award/delivery-order-nnk14ma74c-80ksc024fa090
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
We'll just call it an extended stay.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
That happens when you book Spirit Starlines.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they can catch a ride home on SpaceX and kick their junker to the curb.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:20:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#5]
"Shakeout Cruise".

Is that anything like a shakedown cruise?

Maybe that's what they call it when it's a Boeing.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It's Boeing, guess they should be lucky they're still alive to worry about the trip back down.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If anyone blows the whistle about this......they are as good as dead.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fox2008:
It's Boeing, guess they should be lucky they're still alive to worry about the trip back down.
View Quote

Actually amazed that a door didnt rip off and the whole thing decompress.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s a Boeing what could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By _DR:
"Shakeout Cruise".

View Quote

Boing did the shakedown years ago
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess it’s time to call Elon and send space X to save them. Nice work Boeing. Never change.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Huh. Usually the doors fall off, not get stuck.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Both companies won contracts to provide this ferry service from NASA's Commercial Crew Program back in 2014. Boeing got $4.2 billion, and SpaceX was awarded $2.6 billion.
View Quote

If all goes well on CFT, Starliner will be certified to fly six-month astronaut missions to and from the ISS for NASA. SpaceX already does this with its Dragon capsule; Elon Musk's company is in the middle of its eighth long-duration crewed flight to the ISS, known as Crew-8.
View Quote

Obviously a very well seasoned government contractor.

It's gonna look bad if Elon has to send a rocket up there to bring them back.

I'm sure there's a charge for that.

One billion dollars?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#14]
The Russian Soyuz is the safest lander. I’d hitch a ride on one of those.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#15]
"Oh, you wanted it to actually bring them back too?! Weeell that's gonna cost extra."
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
They're probably counting their blessings and wondering what the odds are
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PR361:
View Quote

Elon should offer to go get them...
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been following the main thread on and off and statistically I think the Titanic sub had better odds of people surviving any one random trip on it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#19]
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:
View Quote

As I said in the other thread. If he were to do that personally it would be his Magnum Opus of trolling.

But sending up Jared Issacman or Peggy Whitson would probably be enough humiliation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Strandedliner? Maroonedliner?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

As I said in the other thread. If he were to do that personally it would be his Magnum Opus of trolling.

But sending up Jared Issacman or Peggy Whitson would probably be enough humiliation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

The way he runs things, they could probably have a ship ready to go by noon tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By southeast_scrounger:
That happens when you book Spirit Starlines.
View Quote

More like South West 🤣
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Can the starliner be moved remotely to allow another craft to land or is it necessary to have crew aboard?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#24]
Originally Posted By JamPo:
Can the starliner be moved remotely to allow another craft to land or is it necessary to have crew aboard?
View Quote

First 2 Starliner flights were unmanned so that shouldn't be a problem. Just detach from ISS then come back to Earth if nothing else goes wrong. Crew can come back on a Soyuz or Dragon once they have been provided with proper suits.

If it detached and something else went very wrong, having an uncontrollable Starliner just orbiting up there would be pretty bad though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Another pos Boeing failure at 3 times the price of Space x

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
View Quote

You can have an enjoyable time arguing with your superiors why you should be chosen to man the flight rather than the other person.

Since you are sure (correctly as it turns out) that the mission was doomed and you wanted to save your friends life.

John 15:13  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#27]
"Shakeout Cruise".

View Quote

Take it UP and see what falls OFF?

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Is this the point at which someone walks into the conference room, dumps a pile of stuff on the table, and says "this is what we have to bring them home"?

They're going to need to bring back smoking for that to work I think.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#29]
its not exactly stranded according to that article.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#30]
we will find out if they run out of redundancy.

sounds like yet another finger pointing exercise - just waiting for boing to start publicly blaming the helium plumbing supplier or the valve supplier.  

given the increasing failures, that thing will either just become a permanent wart parked off to the side and the two guys will come back on a Crew Dragon, or they stay on ISS and boing brings back Starliner un crewed.  

if I hear they will ride it back, well, nasa has made boneheaded decisions in the past and look what happened.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By racer765:
sounds like yet another finger pointing exercise - just waiting for boing to start publicly blaming the helium plumbing supplier or the valve supplier.  
View Quote

That shot has already been fired.
https://payloadspace.com/nasa-stuck-in-the-middle-of-starliner-contractors-valve-fight/
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#32]
"Shakeout Cruise".

View Quote
It shakes tiles off the hull
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By greyninja:

The first astronaut mission of Boeing's Starliner capsule will last a bit longer than we'd thought.

Starliner launched on June 5, carrying NASA astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams to the International Space Station (ISS) on a shakeout cruise called Crew Flight Test (CFT).

Wilmore and Williams arrived at the orbiting lab on June 6 for a roughly week-long stay   or so we thought. The duo, and Starliner, will actually get to spend a few more days off Earth, NASA announced over the weekend.

https://www.space.com/boeing-starliner-first-astronaut-mission-end-june-18
View Quote
Fucking title trolling.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#35]
They’ll probably push back from the gate and make them sit and wait, just so they can list it as an on time departure.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By PR361:
View Quote

This was just toooo funny!  I live in Long Beach and have two Boeing engineers as neightbors!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
It’s a Boeing what could possibly go wrong?
View Quote

Will go wrong
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:33:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#38]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
View Quote

I dont know how I feel about a lander that is designed to land on the ground. If any of the chutes or the soft landing rockets fail I bet it hurts when they touch down at 25 mph ( under the back up chute ) which they "claim" is "survivable"
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Marooned (1969) G | Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller Trailer
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Bet's on it breaking up on re-entry?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm truly surprised they strapped people into that thing with out at list one "zero anomaly" flight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Boeing you just you want that as your ride?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:48:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OSUBeaver] [#43]
“Wow. Yesterday was exciting, and I didn’t think we could make it more exciting, and we did that today,” said Mark Nappi, Boeing’s Starliner program manager. “It was amazing. We accomplished a lot and really more than expected. We exercised the team, we exercised the crew and just had an outstanding day.”
View Quote

What dumb fucker would say something like that? Your known pile of shit isn't working, putting humans at risk, it's exciting, and "you excercised..."  What in the actual fuck?  If I was one of the people on that pile, if I made it back I'd kick that dipshit in the nuts as hard as I could as soon as I could.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2024/06/08/starliner-crew-welcomed-aboard-space-station-news-conference/
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By fox2008:
View Quote

Thus their dances when they entered the ISS.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I think I found a problem that the crew needs to sort out.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:00:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dorobuta] [#46]
Originally Posted By DeltaV42:
Is this the point at which someone walks into the conference room, dumps a pile of stuff on the table, and says "this is what we have to bring them home"?

They're going to need to bring back smoking for that to work I think.
View Quote

No, this is where someone says here's a list of what they need to fix it. Get that list over to SpaceX so they can overnight it to the ISS.....
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Reading is for faggots

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#48]
The crew won't be "stranded" no matter what.

They're probably making sure the capsule can

A: safely undock and maneuver away from the iss and
B: Successfully deorbit in a sage and controlled fashion

Of course, most spacecraft have these things figured out BEFORE they launch but...meh, it's Boeing.  What do you expect?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#50]
So does the ''arrived, departure, delayed, cancelled'' sign say delayed or cancelled?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top