Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put some truck nutz on it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Agreed. My electrician friend that installed the charger said he generally does 300-500 miles a day in his work truck. He also has a business to write off the cost of fuel, so it works out.
View Quote
So he drives 6-10 hours a day? When does he do the electrical work?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You know, you can own a truck because you like it.  You don’t have to do “truck stuff” to justify owning what you like.

I also own long range guns, and hunting guns, and hunting knives.  

I do none of that stuff. I also own a big ass truck, because I want to.

https://i.imgur.com/K3LKft4.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like EV pickup owners want a car that's shaped like a truck, but never really intend to tow or haul anything.

The whole point of owning a truck is to tow/haul.  Otherwise it's just an expensive, inefficient car that doesn't do car things very well.

FWIW I used to own a truck and I did haul my ATVs and camper with the truck for long distances when I had it.  But why even have a camper if you can't take it long distances?  The whole point of a camper is to "get away".  If your tow vehicle runs out of power before you even leave your county, it's just not going to cut it.

You know, you can own a truck because you like it.  You don’t have to do “truck stuff” to justify owning what you like.

I also own long range guns, and hunting guns, and hunting knives.  

I do none of that stuff. I also own a big ass truck, because I want to.

https://i.imgur.com/K3LKft4.jpg

My Raptor with hard bed cover is the best road trip vehicle ever. Smooth ride. Luggage and guns in the bed. Giant cab with ridiculous amount of back seat room. Over 500 miles on a full tank.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, OP, I just can't get on board with this EV madness. The logistics just aren't there. 41 fucking minutes to charge the rig and that does not get you to 100%?  Basically, to get 60% battery, you'll spend 40ish minutes at the pump...if you can break that formula down, 20 minutes gets you about 30%, which would mean you'd have to wait around for over an hour to go from completely dead to completely full.  To top that business off, "completely full,'' on its best day, will only you allow 198 miles.

In terms of mileage, you may save a lot when compared to good old fashioned fossil fuel, but filling up on the road is a huge time suck.

Also, 41 minutes assumes that nobody else is at the "pump."  If there is, you're proper fucked for about 2 hours.  

Every time I end up reading about these EV's, there is one thing that always sticks out to me.  Basically, you can only obtain many of the benefits of an EV, IF ONLY the best of circumstances are present.  Weather, weight, electrical features used, etc...all impact the already-limited mileage capability.  Then, if you're on the road, you gotta pray that there's nobody (or multiple nobodies) in front of you at the pump.

This is also why I have noticed many EV owners (this is not including you, OP. Not yet, anyway), have pivoted to, "Well, it's only for commuting anyways! I never planned on taking any real long road trips with it.''  Because they are experiencing the reality of what their world looks like when there's too many EV's and not enough stations to charge them, but they would never dare admit to being wrong.  They have simply moved the goal posts from ''my EV will do everything your fossil fuel, earth-killer will do,'' to, ''my EV is for commuting anyways, so those issues don't matter to me."
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I think what Gen Mot way of an EV truck will be the ticket. Built from the ground up as an EV.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. My electrician friend that installed the charger said he generally does 300-500 miles a day in his work truck. He also has a business to write off the cost of fuel, so it works out.

He owns the company. At this point he doesn't do too much actual  install/repair work. He said he holds a supervisor's license which is apparently a tough test. He just runs between jobs keeping his guys supplied with tools and supplies. On my Charger install he actually came out with an extra guy driving a van that did a lot of the actual work and had extra tools and supplies so he could BS with me during the install lol.

He mentioned his pickup had a little over 100k miles and was 2 years old.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry, OP, I just can't get on board with this EV madness. The logistics just aren't there. 41 fucking minutes to charge the rig and that does not get you to 100%?  Basically, to get 60% battery, you'll spend 40ish minutes at the pump...if you can break that formula down, 20 minutes gets you about 30%, which would mean you'd have to wait around for over an hour to go from completely dead to completely full.  To top that business off, "completely full,'' on its best day, will only you allow 198 miles.

In terms of mileage, you may save a lot when compared to good old fashioned fossil fuel, but filling up on the road is a huge time suck.

Also, 41 minutes assumes that nobody else is at the "pump."  If there is, you're proper fucked for about 2 hours.  

Every time I end up reading about these EV's, there is one thing that always sticks out to me.  Basically, you can only obtain many of the benefits of an EV, IF ONLY the best of circumstances are present.  Weather, weight, electrical features used, etc...all impact the already-limited mileage capability.  Then, if you're on the road, you gotta pray that there's nobody (or multiple nobodies) in front of you at the pump.

This is also why I have noticed many EV owners (this is not including you, OP. Not yet, anyway), have pivoted to, "Well, it's only for commuting anyways! I never planned on taking any real long road trips with it.''  Because they are experiencing the reality of what their world looks like when there's too many EV's and not enough stations to charge them, but they would never dare admit to being wrong, they have simply moved the goal posts from ''my EV will do everything your fossil fuel, earth-killer will do,'' to, ''my EV is for commuting anyways, so those issues don't matter to me."
View Quote

That's why I started the thread. An Actual "I spent my money and took my chances" look at an EV pickup. I think the more real information that folks can gather about it without all the hype, planet saving bullshit or unrealistic expectations the better. They are far from perfect, but for some folks I think they can be a cost-effective option. I just took an honest look at how I actually use a vehicle, not how I "aspire" to use one, and decided yeah this will work. Most public chargers have 4 stations or so. The only time you need to charge is when a trip exceeds your range. If you frequently take long trips then this thing would be a terrible choice. I decided that the couple times a year I take a 400 mile trip will be a pain in the ass but I will spend NO time refueling the other 50 weeks a year.

I live in a place where the cost of fuel is going to be driven to the moon through carbon taxes regardless of what happens to the price of the commodity. I Need a pickup but and the same time need to use that vehicle for a 60 mile round trip commute to work. Let's say another 1/2 ton may cost $4500 a year for fuel now. In 3 years, it may cost $7,000. Electric rates may rise 2% a year.

I'll likely spend $90/month extra on electricity. Not to mention maintenance should be cheaper with less fluid changes.

The big risk is the life of the battery and the replacement cost. It should last 10 years. Let say it lasts 10 years and costs 25K to replace. Thats $2500/year. Still less than the cost of fuel for my use.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think what Gen Mot way of an EV truck will be the ticket. Built from the ground up as an EV.
View Quote

Isn't this designed from the ground up as an EV?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Isn't this designed from the ground up as an EV?
View Quote

No, it's a current generation F150 body placed on a purpose-built EV Frame and running gear. No doubt Ford took the EV application into consideration when designing the 14th generation F150 that came out in 2021. Using the same body spreads out the cost of the development making the truck much cheaper to build and they are able to sell it at a lower cost.

In a nutshell it's a very quick F150 that rides smoother. I wanted a regular vehicle, so it works for me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
With more and more EV's on the road... Im starting to think it would be really fucking smart to startup a towing and mobile generator business.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Hoping the range will be able to get the truck back to the dealership during all the recalls.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With more and more EV's on the road... Im starting to think it would be really fucking smart to startup a towing and mobile generator business.
View Quote

They already exist. But EVs are only 6% of sales so there are still plenty of gas cars to tow.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw what looked like such a truck/service in another thread in the last few days.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My god you are fast on these threads. It's like the term EV is sent directly to you for approval before the thread clears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool truck, btw.

My god you are fast on these threads. It's like the term EV is sent directly to you for approval before the thread clears.

He got dem alerts set
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice COAL POWERED pickup.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Workable until the govts put a tax on per mile like they basically do on fossil fuels.

I like the idea of a smaller electric car though for running around town and work.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm curious when they'll start marking multifuel bring-along chargers.

GM & others experimented with them heavily in the 2000s.

They had several hybrid-type drivetrains that would run 60-80mpg similar to how a diesel locomotive works (People generally don't realize that diesel locomotives don't run on diesel, they run on electric with a diesel turbogen).

GM at one time had a vehicle that would do 60-80mpg on almost anything : propane, gasoline, kerosene, natural gas, avgas, jet-A, diesel and more. I loved (generally) the idea of having a vehicle that could run on anything, similar to a Modern M35a2.

Eventually someone will make a small-format combined cycle turbine generator for these kinds of vehicles and it'll be game over. It's silly we use ICE engines utilizing only 45% of the energy in fuel, when for power plants they can get 90%+, heck some cases are 95% right now.
View Quote

There was a guy about a decade ago or so that had one of the Rav4 EVs Toyota made a few of. He rigged up a 30kW turbine generator that he could tow with it so he could go as far as he wanted. I thought that was a great idea - maybe not really a turbine, but a towable generator for extended range. Of course the idea wasn't adopted. A contributing factor likely being that most people can't back up with a trailer worth a shit. LOL  (I'm included in that)

These days, IMHO, a plug-in hybrid with ~50 miles range on battery would be best for most urban and sub-urban dwellers. We tend to drive shorter distances frequently, and long distances infrequently. I'm on the wait list for a Rav4 Prime right now, but I'm not sure if I'll pull the trigger. Price, financing rates and trade-in value on the current vehicle are factors in that... and that I might be better suited in the long run by getting a second vehicle. We'll see.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Electricity only comes from coal. There's no other way to make electricity. Nope. No other way. Neva Been Dun Beefo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
from the reviews i've seen they look like nice trucks. only reason I would buy a truck as I have a company van, would be to tow a 10-12K LB toy hauler 150-300 miles one way for weekend trips to the desert.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I live in the Northwest. The vast majority of Energy comes from Hydro here. In fact, My utilities total coal assets are a 20% stake in a single coal plant in Montana. Thy want out of this asset for political reasons but are contractually obligated to it at this point.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
from the reviews i've seen they look like nice trucks. only reason I would buy a truck as I have a company van, would be to tow a 10-12K LB toy hauler 150-300 miles one way for weekend trips to the desert.
View Quote

Hell use your company van for that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's why I started the thread. An Actual "I spent my money and took my chances" look at an EV pickup. I think the more real information that folks can gather about it without all the hype, planet saving bullshit or unrealistic expectations the better. They are far from perfect, but for some folks I think they can be a cost-effective option. I just took an honest look at how I actually use a vehicle, not how I "aspire" to use one, and decided yeah this will work. Most public chargers have 4 stations or so. The only time you need to charge is when a trip exceeds your range. If you frequently take long trips then this thing would be a terrible choice. I decided that the couple times a year I take a 400 mile trip will be a pain in the ass but I will spend NO time refueling the other 50 weeks a year.

I live in a place where the cost of fuel is going to be driven to the moon through carbon taxes regardless of what happens to the price of the commodity. I Need a pickup but and the same time need to use that vehicle for a 60 mile round trip commute to work. Let's say another 1/2 ton may cost $4500 a year for fuel now. In 3 years, it may cost $7,000. Electric rates may rise 2% a year.

I'll likely spend $90/month extra on electricity. Not to mention maintenance should be cheaper with less fluid changes.

The big risk is the life of the battery and the replacement cost. It should last 10 years. Let say it lasts 10 years and costs 25K to replace. Thats $2500/year. Still less than the cost of fuel for my use.

View Quote

2% electric cost rise in 3 years? Give me a break. I live in the same state and mine has gone up 50% from LAST YEAR! It has been as high as double from 2020 in the last 4 months.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I live in the Northwest. The vast majority of Energy comes from Hydro here. In fact, My utilities total coal assets are a 20% stake in a single coal plant in Montana. Thy want out of this asset for political reasons but are contractually obligated to it at this point.
View Quote

The US needs to build many coal-fired power plants.   Put them near coal mines if possible.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Worst part about owning an EV?

Telling your dad you're gay.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

2% electric cost rise in 3 years? Give me a break. I live in the same state and mine has gone up 50% from LAST YEAR! It has been as high as double from 2020 in the last 4 months.
View Quote

I  meant 2%/yr. However I was incorrect.

Rates increased 4% in 2022 and 7% in 2023.

Your rates didn't increase 50% in one year. You bill may have but your rate didn't. What is your utility? Pacific power had a 14.8% increase.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much is the state imposed EV registration fee? Is it a flat fee or by the mile?
The gov is going to have to figure out a way to replace the lost revenue from fuel taxes as they continue to push EVs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How much is the state imposed EV registration fee? Is it a flat fee or by the mile?
The gov is going to have to figure out a way to replace the lost revenue from fuel taxes as they continue to push EVs.
View Quote

Its complicated...

There is a pay per mile program but it's generally a more expensive way to pay.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is also why I have noticed many EV owners (this is not including you, OP. Not yet, anyway), have pivoted to, "Well, it's only for commuting anyways! I never planned on taking any real long road trips with it.''  Because they are experiencing the reality of what their world looks like when there's too many EV's and not enough stations to charge them, but they would never dare admit to being wrong.  They have simply moved the goal posts from ''my EV will do everything your fossil fuel, earth-killer will do,'' to, ''my EV is for commuting anyways, so those issues don't matter to me."
View Quote

It is true there are a lot of factors that effect range but haven't ran into anything yet that made me worry I'd get stranded. We just completed a 2,500 mile road trip in my Tesla M3P and it did fine. On the way back we went from 80 degree weather to cold blizzard conditions with wind. I did stop earlier to charge due to this but Tesla has a lot of superchargers installed (with more to come) so it wasn't an issue. We never ran into a full supercharger and the navigation app will tell you if it is full so you can reroute or it will tell you an estimated wait time for a free stall. In general with people coming and going frequently I doubt you would have to wait long if you came across a full one. I also have the Tesla CCS adapter so I can use third party DC fast chargers if I must which significantly expands my options while road tripping. We enjoyed it so much we will probably take it on the next road trip we do in about 2 months that will probably be around 5k miles.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top