Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Viper prices have gone way up in the last three years.  50k use to get you that GTS dream car, but I don’t think a good one is going to fit the budget.

All those kids of the 80’s and 90’s are starting to get some coin and that’s got to be a highly sought after car for that demographic.

View Quote

Being out of production again isn’t helping.

Gen 3 vipers are great cars and can be found  at 50K. I have a gen 4 Viper and I love it. Had it for 10 years now.

$53k (yes a hair over budget)

Low mile gen 3

Appears to be a decent deal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Mustang Dark Horse edition.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you can find a place to rent the cars you're considering, rent each one for a week. You're about to spend a lot of money on strangers' advice and a 30 minute test drive. Driving 200 miles in each car will tell you a lot about which you'll be happier in.
View Quote

this

i bought a lexus in my mid life crisis mode.  i did a test drive and liked it.

then i bought it and foud out i hated the thing

it was nice, strong, etc, but found too many oddities and such that drove me nuts.

yeah, its my fault for not researching/driving it more.

I did ask the lexus dealer if they had a 5/7 day return policy-- which i would have gotten a different lexus, byt they said hells to the naw  
"tHeY lOSt a CusTomer!!!!"
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Check the Hemmings classifieds

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/2014-chevrolet-corvette-sanborn-ia-2669386

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/2014-chevrolet-corvette-reno-nv-2670338

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/corvette/2617649.html

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/2013-factory-five-cobra-tampa-fl-2669338

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1966-cobra-other-162018

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1997-panoz-aiv-englewood-co-2665983

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/shelby/gt500/2646322.html

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Corvette all day long. Because baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. Because they're just plain fun to own and drive. Because you're an American, and you'll be driving every red blooded little boys dream car. Because you're freshly divorced and can pull so much leg from sleazy single women who can see themselves in the passenger seat. Put on your cargo shorts and New Balance and live the dream.

Or you can buy a Porsche or something else European and drive in circles at the track with nerds. Your choice OP.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A ZL1.

View Quote

At a 50K price point this is a damned good choice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Save up for a C8 ZR1.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#8]
B8.5 Audi RS5 w/4.2 v8 available in coupe or cabriolet. I’d say manual 911 but think you’d need to up the budget.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Mustang convertible and you can get a new one under that budget.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]
You are too young for a Vett and too old for a Subaru.   If you want domestic you get get a fine Mustang at that price point.  If not then Porsche or BMW.  

Regardless, unless you are buying a certified preowned with a warranty (you might get some BMW's in that ballpark) don't spend more than 40 on the car itself as when it breaks (and it will inevitably) you will be too poor to maintain and repair it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Depends on how you're going to use it OP. For styling and profiling, there are many choices that will fit the bill.

If you plan on hitting the track, getting some instruction, exploring the limits of the car and yourself as a driver, the choices get tighter.

You can get a new Camaro SS 1LE for that money, and it will perform very well at the track. Most importantly it will stay together while getting beat on. Older Vettes are usually good to go also, but if it's a few years old plan on upgrading a few things to live on track. Porsches typically do well and stay together, but can be expensive if repairs are needed. Performance Pack 2 Mustangs are similar to 1LE Camaros with respect to track worthiness, but are pretty rare and they stopped building them in 20 I think.

Keep in mind, lots of stuff out there can make good power and handle decently, especially when modified. But track time is rough on a car, so find something designed from the outset to live in that environment. It'll save you lots of grief and downtime.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#12]
If I was spending 50k for a fun car I would probably look for resto-mod hotrod.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#13]
GD will explode over this. Go drive a dual motor 3 and then start shopping for other cars. Used e class can be had for 50k and get a lot there. Sport cars are not great for daily driving (I know there are exceptions) I would get something you like driving.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Z06 Vette.  My uncle was a race car driver and in his words “ you wont find a better deal on an honest to god track ready car than a high performance model Corvette.”
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Corvette is a good suggestion; they are common and can be had reasonably considering the performance. The Camaro is also no slouch.

As someone else said, you need to narrow this down. Do you want four seats, or are you okay with two? AWD, RWD? How much practicality do you need? Something like an Elise or 4C are going to be an incredible driving experience, but they don't even attempt to be practical.

I went with a MkV Supra, myself, and am happy with my decision, but mine is also my daily driver.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#16]
BMW M5 AWD

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-BMW-M5-d391#listing=348004597/NONE
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Porsche. Since you don’t have to lug the wife or kids around, a Boxster or Cayman of your liking. An older 911 is possible in the 50’s if that’s preferred.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#18]
It may be a bit over budget and more of a sport sedan but I really like the Cadillac CT5-V (non-Blackwing version).  Twin turbo V6, electronically adjustable suspension, steering, brakes, etc.  It starts out smooth and quiet, then hit the V-button on the steering wheel and it turns into a wild animal.

I do think they should have stuck with V-Sport for the lower-end models and V for the top tier instead of doing V / V-Blackwing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
C7 Z06.
View Quote

Not for $50k...  More in the $70k range.

C7 Stingray yes, ZO6 not likely.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Saturn SL2
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hellcat charger or challenger.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Saturn SL2
View Quote

This will be in the $50.00 range...
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#24]
C6 or C7 Corvette of whatever flavor you want is going to give you a lot of performance for the money and have decent reliability and maintenance bills. Alternatively an ND Miata or a BRZ/86 and use the extra money saved to go on more road trips and go to some racing schools and actually enjoy the hell out of the car.

Other things to look at: Toyota Supra (2019+), Jaguar F-Type, BMW 2 Series of some sort with the I6, S2000, Mustang GT of some sort (GT350, GT500, Mach1, Bullitt, GT w/Track Pack), Porsche Cayman/Boxster.

Here's my two main recommendations having owned or at least driven/reviewed everything I've listed:

1) C6/C7 Corvette. They look great and can be driven daily and are great on road trips. If you don't plan on racing it then you can skip the higher end models and just look for a regular Stingray. In fact if you want to use it more for road trips/cruising then racing look at a 2LT C7 (C6 as well but they only had heated seats and no A/C seats if that matters). It will have heated/cooled leather seats and some other amenities so it will be very comfortable while still hauling ass and looking cool. If you think you'll be hitting up the autox and/or road courses then definitely step up and look at the Grand Sports or Z06 models or at least a stingray with the Z51 package.
2) If you don't think you'll be doing a lot of road trips and want something a bit more frugal that still looks great, has great performance, a big aftermarket, and still will kick ass on the autox or road course then an ND Miata 2018+ (they got a nice engine boost this model year) will be a solid choice.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
C6 or C7 Corvette of whatever flavor you want is going to give you a lot of performance for the money and have decent reliability and maintenance bills. Alternatively an ND Miata or a BRZ/86 and use the extra money saved to go on more road trips and go to some racing schools and actually enjoy the hell out of the car.

Other things to look at: Toyota Supra (2019+), Jaguar F-Type, BMW 2 Series of some sort with the I6, S2000, Mustang GT of some sort (GT350, GT500, Mach1, Bullitt, GT w/Track Pack), Porsche Cayman/Boxster.

Here's my two main recommendations having owned or at least driven/reviewed everything I've listed:

1) C6/C7 Corvette. They look great and can be driven daily and are great on road trips. If you don't plan on racing it then you can skip the higher end models and just look for a regular Stingray. In fact if you want to use it more for road trips/cruising then racing look at a 2LT C7 (C6 as well but they only had heated seats and no A/C seats if that matters). It will have heated/cooled leather seats and some other amenities so it will be very comfortable while still hauling ass and looking cool. If you think you'll be hitting up the autox and/or road courses then definitely step up and look at the Grand Sports or Z06 models or at least a stingray with the Z51 package.
2) If you don't think you'll be doing a lot of road trips and want something a bit more frugal that still looks great, has great performance, a big aftermarket, and still will kick ass on the autox or road course then an ND Miata 2018+ (they got a nice engine boost this model year) will be a solid choice.

View Quote

But the C6/C7 Grandsports are just so much sexier than the base models...
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
C7 Z06.
View Quote

Maybe a Salvage title, Maybe
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Are Porsche reliable?

Im looking for a car but everything I ask about or post about everyone is like not reliable.....and its some of the same stuff you all are posting
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would buy some other clapped out piece of shit late 60s something and spend 20k on suspension and motor and still get smoked by most of the cars mentioned so far.

And I would be perfectly content.
View Quote

We found little pony's second account.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are Porsche reliable?

Im looking for a car but everything I ask about or post about everyone is like not reliable.....and its some of the same stuff you all are posting
View Quote

Yes, broadly speaking. That said, like most German cars they are not very forgiving of delayed maintenance, and OEM parts are not cheap. You can bring costs down a bit by doing the work yourself or finding a reasonable independent Euro shop, but the Porsche tax is real and you do need to account for it.

As long as you keep up with maintenance they aren't going to leave you stranded.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
C7 Z06.
View Quote

I sold a 2017 Zo6 M7 with 100,000 miles for $51,000 but it was on it's original clutch and supercharger.

Took the funds and bought a very lightly used C6 Zo6 for $44,000.

Lots of these cars nearly new all over. They come up all the time. You really can't beat a Corvette if you want to have fun on a budget.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Saturn SL2
View Quote

I think he meant 50k dollars, not 50k cents.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I sold a 2017 Zo6 M7 with 100,000 miles for $51,000 but it was on it's original clutch and supercharger.

Took the funds and bought a very lightly used C6 Zo6 for $44,000.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20220424_140144-2402748.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20230210_150904-2725348.jpg

Lots of these cars nearly new all over. They come up all the time. You really can't beat a Corvette if you want to have fun on a budget.
View Quote

Yep, to get a C7Z in the 50's, it would have a lot of miles and need some work.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#34]
The best '69 - '71 Corvette you can find.  A convertible with a removable hard top.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Grand Cherokee SRT

Fuck climbing in and out of these sedans at 46
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Since the early Acura NSX is out of reach at this price point, I would also go with the Honda S2000...

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are Porsche reliable?

View Quote

For what it is, very much so. The 992’s (current Gen) has a few known thing but not major, same goes for the 991’s. Even the dreaded IMS baring issue on 996/997 cars were overblown.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I bought a new Supra back in January... but a few words of warning if you are shopping for a Supra:

1. Manuals are selling above MSRP right now and can be very hard to get in some markets. I had to put in my allocation back in June to get it in January.
2. The autos are still very good, but you may be hard pressed to find a good low mileage 3.0 for under 50K. Again depends heavily on your market.
3. The Supra gets slight improvements each year but no real outward changes. Meaning, the later year you can get the more power and better handling it will be.
4. Only the original 2020 Supras and a tiny handful of 2021 Supras are easily tunable, everything else requires an unlock and extra hoops to jump through.

That said, the new Supra is SMALL. It is not Miata small, but they feel very tiny compared to a Mustamaroallnger. The Supra also doesn't have the power of a new Vette, but it also doesn't have the New Balance and Jorts stigma... it has a different stigma (that of being a BMW).

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#40]
$90k new, $50k used.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Corvette shold come with free white New Balance shoes as a stereotype.  Get a classic car or motorcycle of somekind.
View Quote

About every Porsche should come with a roll of pigmat and a 50% discount coupon for common, yet exceedingly expensive repair bills, even if you DIY.
About every BMW should come with a turn signal upgrade and the disclaimer that you'll never get that platform-fatal recall approved.
About every Mustang should come with a tool that permanently removes the stability control button (or extracts light poles from the front bumper).

We could do this all day!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#43]
The best Porsche I could find.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, broadly speaking. That said, like most German cars they are not very forgiving of delayed maintenance, and OEM parts are not cheap. You can bring costs down a bit by doing the work yourself or finding a reasonable independent Euro shop, but the Porsche tax is real and you do need to account for it.

As long as you keep up with maintenance they aren't going to leave you stranded.
View Quote

A flat tire can be a bad fucking day if the provided ‘slime’ and pump fail you due to a rip in the tire. Of course this isn’t isolated to Porsches, with most sports cars there’s very little room for even a donut.

Several options:

1: Buy a donut spare, you have to inflate them after you put them on and it’s only to get you to a tire shop. Downside is, no frunk (storage,) and of course more weight.

2: Buy a patch kit and/or slime kit. A patch kit will be more effective but also more troublesome. The included pump would be needed for either and you’re still headed to the tire shop.

3: Roadside assistance and/or a flatbed to take your car to the nearest shop.

Again this applies to must sports and sporty cars. Run-flats in my experience aren’t worth it because they don’t work as advertised, you’re still going to chew up your wheel.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#45]
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-backdraft-cobra-6/

Attachment Attached File

You probably won't find a Backdraft for $50K right now.  But there are other alternatives.  They can be quite fun.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Corvette.

Why?  America.  
Why no 2?  Not a POS European car
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#47]
SS 1LE
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Highest smiles-per-mile would likely be a trackable Miata. Cheap enough that if you put it into the wall you're not going to cry.

Highest performance-to-dollar will be a Corvette owned by someone who already put a bunch of money and time into it and is moving on.

Something that may appreciate over the years, that will get you a thumbs up on the road? A 4th gen NA Supra.

Or you could buy a solid example of just about any 1960s-1970s muscle car for that budget. Maybe get a convertible model for weekend cruising. But you're going to be underwhelmed with the power and drievability.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
air-cooled 911
View Quote

His budget is only $50k.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A flat tire can be a bad fucking day if the provided 'slime' and pump fail you due to a rip in the tire. Of course this isn't isolated to Porsches, with most sports cars there's very little room for even a donut.

Several options:

1: Buy a donut spare, you have to inflate them after you put them on and it's only to get you to a tire shop. Downside is, no frunk (storage,) and of course more weight.

2: Buy a patch kit and/or slime kit. A patch kit will be more effective but also more troublesome. The included pump would be needed for either and you're still headed to the tire shop.

Again this applies to must sports and sporty cars. Run-flats in my experience aren't worth it because they don't work as advertised, you're still going to chew up your wheel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A flat tire can be a bad fucking day if the provided 'slime' and pump fail you due to a rip in the tire. Of course this isn't isolated to Porsches, with most sports cars there's very little room for even a donut.

Several options:

1: Buy a donut spare, you have to inflate them after you put them on and it's only to get you to a tire shop. Downside is, no frunk (storage,) and of course more weight.

2: Buy a patch kit and/or slime kit. A patch kit will be more effective but also more troublesome. The included pump would be needed for either and you're still headed to the tire shop.

Again this applies to must sports and sporty cars. Run-flats in my experience aren't worth it because they don't work as advertised, you're still going to chew up your wheel.

I had non-runflats on my C6 Z51. Just had a pump, couple cans of fixaflat, and a plug kit that fit great in one of the little rear hatch cubbyholes. I fucking hate runflats with a passion. My '11 BMW 335D and '14 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid AWD had them and they were the absolute worst. NVH in the BMW was just garbage. I had three failures in my Q50 in as many months (massive issues with those run flats) and they in fact do not runflat even at reduced speeds below 30mph and one almost completely separated and destroyed the fender and almost left me stranded since there's no spare or pump or anything on those. I have non-runflats on my '17 SS right now but luckily since it has a trunk I was able to throw the optional full size spare in the subfloor location along with the factory pump/goop kit for some extra road trip redundancy.

Seriously fuck runflats.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top