Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
those are awesome wheels

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
those are awesome wheels

View Quote

Thanks. I’m really picky about wheels. Wasn’t many options for the offset I needed but I think they are going to look good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have ZERO mechanical ability and/or knowledge. But I've always wanted to do a Cobra kit car or an F100 street truck.

Are there any manuals/websites you're following for your build?

How practical is something like this for a guy with no experience?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have ZERO mechanical ability and/or knowledge. But I've always wanted to do a Cobra kit car or an F100 street truck.

View Quote

Not really following any manuals for this build.  It's more trying to bring what I see in my head for this truck into reality.  I am also building this for a purpose and "trying" to stay on a budget so that drives most of it. I grew up on a farm so I have been working on things as far back as I can remember.  I don't have any formal automotive training or anything like that.  I would say this is a 6/10 difficulty rating.  QA1 and Wilwood stuff is quality and it goes together like it should and their instructions are detailed.  Basic hand tools along with a good torque wrench,grinder and air hammer is all it took to get this far.  Having working knowledge of how the different systems works will help but you can learn quick from Youtube.  The thing to understand is this is assembly and not building and there is a big difference.  I am fabricating some chassis braces but the rest of this is all bolt on.  This would be more like putting together a kit car.  In my opinion something like a kit car would be more piratical for someone starting out.  You will be able to get vendor support for the different systems that make up a vehicle.  You won't have to deal with 50 year old stuff and parts availability issues.  There are more than enough youtube channels you could follow along and build your car kit with.  One thing I can't stress enough is find a good body shop because bodywork sucks lol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look at the DF Goblin Kits.

Great place to start with limited knowledge, and lots of support on the build.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Got the rear brakes installed but ram into some issues. The joys of aftermarket parts not playing together

QA1 swapped F100 Wilwood rear brake install
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Subscribed!
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Started trying to figure out ride height but jacking up a tire doesn’t work lol. Should be on the ground mid week I’m hoping. All the mechanical is done. No it’s just a matter of checking over everything again to make sure all the bolts are tight.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag.  I'm jealous....
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tag.  I'm jealous....
View Quote

Don't be.  All the mechanical stuff is just about done and then it's bodywork.  I hate doing bodywork and paint stuff.  I suck at every aspect of it and I'm too stubborn to pay someone.  That and I don't want someone else touching my girl lol.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Got the power steering installed last night.  Didn't go to plan because I ran out of hose ends so I had to order more to install the cooler.  It should be enough to get the truck to the alignment shop.  

Power steering install in the QA1 swapped F100
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice OP! Enjoy!

Fifth gen. Fords are my favorite classic pickups.
I owned 3 in the past.

The '69 4WD F-100 manual was my fav. It was my daily driver for 7 or 8 years.
I re-worked the suspension in the mid 80s a year after I bought it.
It amounted to a 2-1/2" lift, which was fine for that 1/2 ton.
Taller coil springs on the front, and the rare progressive rate factory 1/2 ton overload springs and extra HD Helwig rear torsion bar I installed made her solid, empty or loaded.

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably the last video on the truck for a week or so. I’ve got some other stuff to do around the farm I’ve been neglecting. Just a quick update on how the truck sits today.
QA1 swapped F100 back on the ground and it runs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Last update for a few days. Have to get caught up on some stuff around the farm.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Woah.  That's pretty awesome.  I would never have the confidence to cut into a truck like that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#18]
OST. I need more F100 in my life...
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Woah.  That's pretty awesome.  I would never have the confidence to cut into a truck like that.
View Quote

Thanks

You have to commit like the bacon in bacon and eggs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Another update. Trucks running and I’ve been enjoying it. Had my first failure with a power steering line. Otherwise it’s really doing well. 

I broke the f100 already plus some new parts
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top