BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smog techs in CA are failing vehicles with replacement cats and anti theft devices on them.
Cats have to be OEM or CA approved with visible approval numbers on them. If the cat shield blocks said number, they fail the vehicle, directing it to the smog ref for approval.
And CARB outfitting a late model truck with non approved cats, putting cat shields on it and sending it in as an undercover vehicle to trip up/fine smog techs sounds exactly like something CARB would do.

View Quote

I'd say fuck it then. Just drive it unapproved. They don't police window tint, license plates, obviously hazardous vehicles... why would they police a fucking registration sticker? Mass disobedience.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife has a low rider.

My truck is lifted but took the CV off myself.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Offroad Desert Eagle has cat cover for tundra and sequoia for $300

Contact Kent at (214) 287-8960

Yup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27489/de_plate_jpg-2005627.JPG

Thanks. Doesn't fully cover the rear cats but I'll bet I can fix that...
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cops know who's doing it. Ukrainians and it's organized. Not sure why they haven't done anything about it, though.
View Quote

I’m not sayin you’re wrong, but as someone who grew up and spent the first 35 years of his life in Missouri, “Ukrainians” is sure an odd way to say white trash meth heads….
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Remove it yourself
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd say fuck it then. Just drive it unapproved. They don't police window tint, license plates, obviously hazardous vehicles... why would they police a fucking registration sticker? Mass disobedience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smog techs in CA are failing vehicles with replacement cats and anti theft devices on them.
Cats have to be OEM or CA approved with visible approval numbers on them. If the cat shield blocks said number, they fail the vehicle, directing it to the smog ref for approval.
And CARB outfitting a late model truck with non approved cats, putting cat shields on it and sending it in as an undercover vehicle to trip up/fine smog techs sounds exactly like something CARB would do.

I think only white people have to register their cars in CA. I see border buddies routinely rolling around in cars with tags a year or more out of date.
But we gotta keep our tags current and all our documents in order.
Also: If you have anything enthusiast related and you run catless, the CHP can (and will) impound your car over it. We have the "green police" here and they have the authority to do roadside inspections (sans probable cause).

No time to catch people stealing said cats, plenty of time and resources to catch those running without them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard the Sheriff in St Paul MN saying on Live On Patrol that his department would paint yellow stripes on anybody's Cat who came to the Sheriff's Office.

He also mentioned that they contacted all the scrap yards in the area to let them know that cats with yellow stripes were stolen.

I don't know if that has had any effect or not.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Offroad Desert Eagle has cat cover for tundra and sequoia for $300

Contact Kent at (214) 287-8960

Yup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27489/de_plate_jpg-2005627.JPG

I know of a rear cat shield.

I am not concerned about those, they are secondary its the front ones that do all the work.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Chain a pitbull to the bumper.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not really. Just grab the outer pipe with one hand while Sawz-Alling through everything with the other hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put a larger diameter tubing around the exhaust in front and behind the cats. Large enough so it spins freely.  Makes it next to impossible to cut out.

Not really. Just grab the outer pipe with one hand while Sawz-Alling through everything with the other hand.

Ever try to hold a small section of pipe in one hand while trying to cut it with a recip saw?
Not fun or easy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Sleep under your truck and keep a knife between your teeth.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I heard the Sheriff in St Paul MN saying on Live On Patrol that his department would paint yellow stripes on anybody's Cat who came to the Sheriff's Office.

He also mentioned that they contacted all the scrap yards in the area to let them know that cats with yellow stripes were stolen.

View Quote

Wouldn’t that be a yellow Tabby?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bag your truck and drop it to the frame when you park.
View Quote

Either this or the skid plate thingy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I used my dremel and etched STOLEN into my cats and my VIN number.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used my dremel and etched STOLEN into my cats and my VIN number.
View Quote

Nice try though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Paint's pretty easy to remove. Bead blaster would make short work of a batch of hot cats with paint on them.

I'm not usually in favor of government regulating stuff like this, but if they required that cats can't be scrapped without a title/VIN for each one scrapped, that would slow this shit down. Scrap yards that take in wrecks and do it in bulk could probably get some exemption but you should be required to show that your cat came from a vehicle you possessed with a paper trail to get compensated for it.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top