Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
7/10

Would have been much better with less “westernized” cast, characters, and script. For example, the central scientist acts all surprised that soviet government be like it do, as if he just stepped off a boat from America or England. The characters just weren’t believable for anyone familiar with the time period and place. Would have been better with Slav actors speaking Russian and subtitles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it's not a scientific documentary. Yes it's still 10/10. Read through the archive thread and follow along through the five episodes. The biggest technical inaccuracy is in the last episode so I won't spoil it for you. It's still a good show.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agreed to an extent. Some of it was over the top and unrealistic. The unborn child absorbing radiation from the mothers exposure to her firefighter husband was one such moment. Suggesting the people on the bridge all died from the fallout was bullshit- most everyone survived.

OTOH the character of Ulana Komhyuk was artistic liberty and I think necessary for streamlining the story.

Overall a very good series.

The explanation into how the RBMK failed, as I understand it was spot on. As well as the realization the USSR knew there was a flaw in the design and hid it from everyone, even their own nuke techs operating the reactors. That’s what commies do.

ETA: don’t be a fucking dick, 19’er.
View Quote

My father was a nuclear engineer, very well versed on what happened, and this is essentially what he said too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They openly stated that khomyuk was a composite of the many scientists that were consulting on the disaster, there was no dishonesty there, they had to compress many characters into one for the sake of telling the story.  

They even showed a real photograph of the group of scientists that the character was meant to represent in the closing credits....during the explanation of khomyuk's character.

They were totally open about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For starters, the woman's character is totally made up just to add a female role. But since that wasn't SJW enough, they went even further to have her save the day. Good series otherwise.
They openly stated that khomyuk was a composite of the many scientists that were consulting on the disaster, there was no dishonesty there, they had to compress many characters into one for the sake of telling the story.  

They even showed a real photograph of the group of scientists that the character was meant to represent in the closing credits....during the explanation of khomyuk's character.

Agreed.

All I expected from Hollywood (or HBO) was to be entertained based on actual events.    I got interested enough in the horror, science, and humanitarian disaster that I did my own research to the accurate details.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent series. Many YT videos support the accuracy, was it 100%???  No, some people were fictitious. Make sure to see the little clips at the end or beginning (I cant remember) that gives details about each episode. Watch in surround sound esp with the divers scene... Freaky AF!  You feel like you're really there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They only commented because there was so much backlash over it. Then they came up with some BS excuse of why a woman character solves what evil men can't and then busts her way through a 80's era Russian security perimeter because "woman power". Give me a break. When the show aired, there was no explanation, and just one article explaining her character was pure fiction. They weren't upfront about anything and I guess they found their group of scientists to cherry pick the character from in the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They only commented because there was so much backlash over it. Then they came up with some BS excuse of why a woman character solves what evil men can't and then busts her way through a 80's era Russian security perimeter because "woman power". Give me a break. When the show aired, there was no explanation, and just one article explaining her character was pure fiction. They weren't upfront about anything and I guess they found their group of scientists to cherry pick the character from in the end.

You're way overstating what happened. It was way easier to have 1 actor portray 100 scientists in a show rather than have 100 scientists cast.
She was good in her role. Historically the Soviets did have a fair amount of women scientists and such, so really...who fucking cares that they cast a woman to portray a group of scientists? Seems absurd to make a big deal about it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
7/10

Would have been much better with less “westernized” cast, characters, and script. For example, the central scientist acts all surprised that soviet government be like it do, as if he just stepped off a boat from America or England. The characters just weren’t believable for anyone familiar with the time period and place. Would have been better with Slav actors speaking Russian and subtitles.
View Quote

Agreed, or even slavic accents.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
7/10

View Quote

I would have liked that too, but I think they would have killed off a lot of their viewership because of subtitles unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Edited ~ medicmandan
View Quote

Are you mad that they used one female actress to represent multiple scientists?

You seem so triggered there buttercup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, for those of you who want a more Russian take on events...

Are the Russians still working on their version of the story where everything that happened at Chernobyl was the CIA's fault?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I watched it in real time and the explanation aired at the same time as the final episode, so I guess they reacted to viewers who saw it early..and they reacted quickly.

Honestly, I didn't notice a SJW bent to the character, and she didn't really save anything, she caught that the bubbler pools were full of runoff but to me that was always a sketchy problem.  The coreium wouldn't have dropped in one giant molten ball into the pool so one giant explosion seemed unlikely. Certainly not a megaton class explosion that would involve the other reactors on site.

All that being said, there were divers, they did drain a full pool, so obviously the authorities were concerned.

If you want to get wrapped around the axle over the fact that they chose a woman for the composite character you can. I didn't give it much thought at the time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The visuals and sets were very good but the miniseries was overly dramatized and the scientific accuracy is garbage.  The sequence of events and procedures in the first episode was well done, but it went down hill from there.  They should have used nuclear scientists or physicists as technical advisors instead of the anti-nuclear activists that they had.  It was nothing but fear-mongering the dangers of radiation and other claims like the possibility of a steam explosion in the megaton range that was off by 4 to 5 orders of magnitude.

The depiction of the soviets system was very accurately portrayed in some parts but complete nonsense in others.  The basement committee meeting in the first episode and some parts of the court scene looked very realistic.  Threatening to shoot or throw subordinates out of a helicopter did not happen in the 1980's.  The people in the soviet union were demoralized and conditioned to follow orders without question.  They would grumble and do a half assed job, but people followed orders.  Scientists questioning how the system worked was especially ridiculous considering that Legasov was a high ranking leader in several academic institutions.  He never would have gotten where he was unless he knew how to play politics.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes it's not a scientific documentary. Yes it's still 10/10. Read through the archive thread and follow along through the five episodes. The biggest technical inaccuracy is in the last episode so I won't spoil it for you. It's still a good show.
View Quote
Ok this is bugging me...out with it...
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The visuals and sets were very good but the miniseries was overly dramatized and the scientific accuracy is garbage.  The sequence of events and procedures in the first episode was well done, but it went down hill from there.  They should have used nuclear scientists or physicists as technical advisors instead of the anti-nuclear activists that they had.  It was nothing but fear-mongering the dangers of radiation and other claims like the possibility of a steam explosion in the megaton range that was off by 4 to 5 orders of magnitude.

The depiction of the soviets system was very accurately portrayed in some parts but complete nonsense in others.  The basement committee meeting in the first episode and some parts of the court scene looked very realistic.  Threatening to shoot or throw subordinates out of a helicopter did not happen in the 1980's.  The people in the soviet union were demoralized and conditioned to follow orders without question.  They would grumble and do a half assed job, but people followed orders.  Scientists questioning how the system worked was especially ridiculous considering that Legasov was a high ranking leader in several academic institutions.  He never would have gotten where he was unless he knew how to play politics.

View Quote
reader of the New Yorker huh?

new yorker article saying the exact same thing
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#15]
It was very well done. I liked it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Best series I’ve watched since Breaking Bad. Until now, for me personally, I like Cobra Kai better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
7/10

I read somewhere they tried having the actors all do accents but it just sounded like a bad Rocky & Bullwinkle episode with everyone sounding like they were looking for moose and squirrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I have it on my DVR, from a free HBO weekend.

Guess I need to make time to watch it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I've heard from some people it ends up being anti-nuclear propaganda. Yes, no?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not in my opinion.

Just against stupidly run nuclear programs. Lessons that can be applied to any large, complex and dangerous industrial process.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the viewer is already slanted that way, I can certainly see how that viewer would interpret it as such.

But objectively?  It just shows how Marxist government is so pitifully inept that it thinks it can literally preempt science with ideological purity.  Which comes to think of it sounds eerily familiar....
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at all, I think it's anti-corruption more than anything.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If the viewer is already slanted that way, I can certainly see how that viewer would interpret it as such.

But objectively?  It just shows how Marxist government is so pitifully inept that it thinks it can literally preempt science with ideological purity.  Which comes to think of it sounds eerily familiar....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the default consumable commodity of communist systems is human lives. The default medium of exchange is lies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And the default consumable commodity of communist systems is human lives.
View Quote

Historically, killing Marxists is the only thing Marxist governments are able to do efficiently.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#28]

LOL.

This scene was frightening to say the least.

Chernobyl (2019) Reactor Core Meltdown Scene
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Although the director is a huge Marxist shitbag, I think he unintentionally made it an indictment on communism
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have it on my DVR, from a free HBO weekend.

Guess I need to make time to watch it.
View Quote

Give yourself five hours, you likely won’t stop once you start
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#31]
The beginning of the show felt like a horror movie
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Historically, killing Marxists is the only thing Marxist governments are able to do efficiently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the default consumable commodity of communist systems is human lives.

I saw something the other day about the "greatest genocide in human history" in reference to the Holocaust.

Kinda paused a little, not in that it wasn't a holocaust, but that the Soviets and Chinese each killed far more of their own citizens than perished in the Holocaust. I think the estimate for the Soviets is something like 100 million.

Quoted:

The whole thing was a rolling horror movie.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Episode three is
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Although the director is a huge Marxist shitbag, I think he unintentionally made it an indictment on communism
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny how that worked out isn't it...
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

See what I mean?

Marxists suck at everything.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmk52YwLQc
View Quote

I still wonder. That ringing... Howling sound you hear at 1:11. Is that a warning siren? Air flowing towards the fire or something else?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.

It's a scathing indictment of applied Marxism.  Honestly I can't believe it got made these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on both points, but as a drama its gets about as close to a documentary as you can get while still keeping the average Joe's attention.

Most folks don't want to sit through Chernobyl Uncensored,  but they'll gladly sit down for the HBO series.  Its not a bad way to introduce people to the failures of the Soviet State.

This.

It's a scathing indictment of applied Marxism.  Honestly I can't believe it got made these days.

Agree completely which is why I was so shocked one of the directors said it was anti-Trump. It gave me Forrest Whittaker eye.

Absolutely insane.

I dug Chernobyl a lot. Enough that after watching the first ep by myself I stopped, grabbed the wife, and we watched the whole series together.

The details were amazing. The gigantic meeting rooms with one small stacking chair in them. The library where you had to justify what books you were taking out because the Political Officer might not think you should read it... and on and on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I enjoyed it.  Was good tv to watch on the treadmill.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I still wonder. That ringing... Howling sound you hear at 1:11. Is that a warning siren? Air flowing towards the fire or something else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.

Dramatic soundtrack. Kinda taking the warning siren sound from the hallway and making it into a fearful sound effect.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Only thing I didn't like was the British accents were annoying as hell.  So 9/10.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

He said the government's behavior in the film and hiding information was reflective of Trump (and I'm assuming muh-Russia).  

He freaked out when many said hey, look, a film that portrays communism the way communism worked.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Dramatic soundtrack. Kinda taking the warning siren sound from the hallway and making it into a fearful sound effect.
View Quote

Well, it worked!

Sounds like something not of this world has been unleashed and is coming to eat you down to your bone marrow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Not sure.  I do know that they took the sounds within a similar nuke plant in Russia or wherever they had access to and recorded noises and then mixed them into sounds and music of the movie:

''Chernobyl'' composer created entire haunting score from real power plant sounds
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For starters, the woman's character is totally made up just to add a female role. But since that wasn't SJW enough, they went even further to have her save the day. Good series otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok comrade.

Any significant examples or just nitpicking?

From what I understand, she was a composite of a number of scientists to simplify the plot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#45]
It was good.
I don't think I'd go 10/10 good.
Probably 8/10, definitely worth watching.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#46]
The explanation at the hearing at the end was a great presentation job that even on the first run though, allowed understanding of what happened.

Whomever wrote the script at that point should do science education or TV shows or something.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#47]
It’s one of my favorite series.  Difficult to watch at times, and unfortunately I have seen the same mentality in American industry.  There’s no shortage of people willing to bypass safety guidelines for more or cheaper production to look good to their bosses.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
A lot more anti commie system propaganda than anti nuke. There wasn't much anti nuke moralizing.

The anti nuke is more or less restricted to exaggerating the effects of the radiation and the initial event.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ukrainian wife said they nailed local details, the buses used, telephones in apartments, was period correct.  She was singing along and impressed how well they did it.  Not sure on accuracy of actual accident, we did the tour back in 2017.

https://i.ibb.co/SvyvH9j/21458043-1100845536719353-6189259096065697703-o.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/j5MBBsg/21414741-1100408080096432-3650124349669833675-o.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Sn76SNg/cn24.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/3f1mHvM/22218306-1116279265175980-2452858600536427331-o.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/3TnyShP/22219664-1116285785175328-5406438077230803463-o.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/9sxPrhG/cn12.jpg
View Quote
Awesome!

Beats my 'tour' in MW4
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

From what I understand, she was a composite of a number of scientists to simplify the plot.
View Quote
My issue is that they got almost everything right, the plant workers were men for the large part, the nurses were women, the miners were men, the towns folk were families, the head guys at the plant and govt were men, yet they chose to interject a woman into an unbelievable role for no reason other than the directors needed to fulfill their SJW tendencies. Why not make some of the miners women or some of the nurses men? Because everyone knows those would not be believable traditional roles of the 80s. Just like everyone knows she didn't have some scientific epiphany and then bust her way through security to save the world. I remember watching it as it aired and it was so stupid I had to google it and there was literally one article at the time saying she was a fictional character. Now it seems she's part of some obscure team of scientists which doesn't make it any better, if true.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top