User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Made in China
View Quote

True, but not sold to america.  Wonder if they pay attention to the metallurgy when it is for them?  Hope not.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Is that self storage units a top the flight deck?
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Second time you've mentioned these. How exactly is a kill switch in a sub component being found and how is it supposed to work if it's not tie into a communications infrastructure?
View Quote

A few years back the F35's were grounded temporarily due to finding small integrated chips in crucial components. The Japanese voiced concerns that the chip was indeed a remote Killswitch that can bring the jet down by a flip of a switch.
DOD claims it's been handled. Japan lost an F35, powered down mid flight. Japan whistled it was done purposely by unknown source.

Around the same era, remote operated valves on ships were found with the same mysterious chips in it's sending components.

There are legit sources for unclassified info on the web, I apologise for not providing source material right now. I'm in and out of this thread between chores at home.

Imagine the chaos that can be brought if EVERYTHING made in China had a cheap 0.003 cent chip that can be switched off.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Made in China
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#5]
America looking at a small, poor, low-tech country like Russia and projecting the conclusions on a big, rich, high-tech country like China to draw the conclusion we don't need to compete (in order to triangulate between rightist populist isolationism and the leftist establishment managing our decline) is a problem.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'll read it later. China has an all volunteer military, they always have. They can do conscription, but they have never needed to.

People like to talk about tech, shit Chinese quality, etc. But, China has the mfg capability and the numbers. The tech is outdated, but look at the Russia vs Germany in WWII. The US is a loooooong distance from the area China wants to control.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recently read this article, the author’s name caught my attention https://warontherocks.com/2022/06/putins-lessons-for-the-all-volunteer-force/

I'll read it later. China has an all volunteer military, they always have. They can do conscription, but they have never needed to.

People like to talk about tech, shit Chinese quality, etc. But, China has the mfg capability and the numbers. The tech is outdated, but look at the Russia vs Germany in WWII. The US is a loooooong distance from the area China wants to control.

?!?
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@sigking

I thought it was me at first but yeah your absolutely correct, many things in that picture look off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn thing looks fake.  Too small, proportions not right, like a kit car on a VW frame back in the 80's

China is still asshole

@sigking

I thought it was me at first but yeah your absolutely correct, many things in that picture look off.

I think it's just a really hi res pic. Pic matches the video below.

China Launches First Aircraft Carrier Which Rivals U.S. Navy’s
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are the sinophile bed wetters pissing their pants in blind panic yet?
View Quote

At least throw in a gif or video with your post
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - Bane Calm Down Doctor Now Is Not the Time for Fear
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ayup.  American exceptionalism lulz

Looks like someone is going for energy independence.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/1481DC88-62A6-430F-8EE2-2C708893BF77_png-2421114.JPG

Meanwhile we are burning forest and tires for power and erecting wind turbines and solar fields
View Quote

Wow that's a scary graph. Better than Argentina but not as good as turkey.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thing that pisses me off is the fact that is a valid question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who sold, gave or left the catapult schematics unencrypted?

Thing that pisses me off is the fact that is a valid question.

Remember “Chinagate” is 1996?  Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

For those who don't, Chinagate was one of the most serious and traitorous scandals in American history where the Clintons sold some of America’s most sensitive technology, including nuclear missile, satellite and naval vessel technology to the Chinese.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A few years back the F35's were grounded temporarily due to finding small integrated chips in crucial components. The Japanese voiced concerns that the chip was indeed a remote Killswitch that can bring the jet down by a flip of a switch.
DOD claims it's been handled. Japan lost an F35, powered down mid flight. Japan whistled it was done purposely by unknown source.

Around the same era, remote operated valves on ships were found with the same mysterious chips in it's sending components.

There are legit sources for unclassified info on the web, I apologise for not providing source material right now. I'm in and out of this thread between chores at home.

Imagine the chaos that can be brought if EVERYTHING made in China had a cheap 0.003 cent chip that can be switched off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second time you've mentioned these. How exactly is a kill switch in a sub component being found and how is it supposed to work if it's not tie into a communications infrastructure?

There were a lot of processors found to have an extra chip hidden on them- supposedly they have no idea how many are out there.  Just one example (left cold since it's bloomburg): https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#12]
It has steam boilers, six of them. The naval boiler design should be developed with the help of Ukrainian.

Some source claim it's electric drive, as the stream turbines are connected to generators instead of gearbox. There are additional gas turbine onboard for extra powers during launch ops.

Doesn't seem like the EMLS been installed. The launch date today is a historical Chinese holiday with a 2300 year tradition.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's why they've been doing those incursions into Japanese waters. To practice and learn. They believe they need to 2060 to reach 100% parity with the USN but imo they don't have the luxury of that time. Of course half of GD doesn't think China will actually do anything other than wait and buy off US politicians, companies and eventually isolate Taiwan from the world until they just own it without firing a shot. I disagree with that. China is uncharacteristically in a rush and impatient these days if you read local Chinese media.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Building one isn't the same as fighting one.

That's why they've been doing those incursions into Japanese waters. To practice and learn. They believe they need to 2060 to reach 100% parity with the USN but imo they don't have the luxury of that time. Of course half of GD doesn't think China will actually do anything other than wait and buy off US politicians, companies and eventually isolate Taiwan from the world until they just own it without firing a shot. I disagree with that. China is uncharacteristically in a rush and impatient these days if you read local Chinese media.
Honestly as long as there's a baseline level of competence, building/repairing them seems to matter more. The IJN stomped all over the allies in surface fights for most of the early war, but the USN had new ships in the pipeline and focused on learning and applying lessons while the IJN didn't.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And in 1995 their growing capability was the focus of my thesis for my Master's degree studies in national defense planning. I was told I was way off... guess not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A decade ago Many on arfcom assured me that China would never have a blue water navy capable of doing carrier operations.

It's scary how quickly they advance by stealing technology.

And in 1995 their growing capability was the focus of my thesis for my Master's degree studies in national defense planning. I was told I was way off... guess not.
People think the ships that won WW2 just magically appeared after Pearl Harbor, then you try to tell them about the Vinson acts and their eyes glaze over.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There were a lot of processors found to have an extra chip hidden on them- supposedly they have no idea how many are out there.  Just one example (left cold since it's bloomburg): https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies
View Quote

I was working for Lockheed when the memo/ruling came out where DOD said it was okay to source parts manufactured in China, I remember co-workers and I discussing the high probability that the DOD ruling would bite America in the ass.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.  American exceptionalism lulz

Looks like someone is going for energy independence.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/1481DC88-62A6-430F-8EE2-2C708893BF77_png-2421114.JPG

Meanwhile we are burning forest and tires for power and erecting wind turbines and solar fields

The writing is on the wall.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was working for Lockheed when the memo/ruling came out where DOD said it was okay to source parts manufactured in China, I remember co-workers and I discussing the high probability that the DOD ruling would bite America in the ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has no one watched Battlestar Galactica? Maybe the Chinese did?
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#18]
All I know if Japan supposedly had an inferior Navy and they had the USN turned inside out for most of 1942. The only thing the US did better that year was dive bombing and ship damage control. We were lucky Japan didn’t have triple our population like china does.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lulz, wake me up when they have launched their 11th aircraft carrier
View Quote
I see you intend to take a nap.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Not gonna lie, looks half decent.

Also, the US just admitted recently that China does indeed have Gen 5 fighters.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I see you intend to take a nap.
View Quote

See what you did .gif
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#22]
The war in Ukraine is being won by artillery, not 5th gen fighters, so look for a lot more articles like this talking about China's advanced technology. Defense contractors need to shift focus on to something that will justify more .gov money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The war in Ukraine is being won by artillery, not 5th gen fighters, so look for a lot more articles like this talking about China's advanced technology. Defense contractors need to shift focus on to something that will justify more .gov money.
View Quote

Not gonna work - budget has been flat for all but Navy and Congress appears to be pissed off at USN contracts. DOD is lucky Ukraine happened as FY 2023 was looking at another 5% drop. Even with flat budgets USMC is ejecting personnel to cover acquisitions and Army is dropping 12,000 personnel this year. Good luck fighting China by yourself Navy. USAF is claiming it’s overwhelmed but Congress has tacked on more aircraft despite a lessened but continuing pilot shortage.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's with the artillery mount on the stbd sponson?
View Quote

Most likely a chinese CIWS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what concerns me more than their carriers. They are not as good at carrier ops and they have fewer of them, but having a "STUXNET" style failure built into a bunch of mundane systems could be extremely beneficial.

If you can force a US ship to make port, or force the US Navy to fly out spare parts, then you can either take ships completely off the table, or make our ships more predictable.

And you don't even necessarily want to use an obvious kill switch, the deniability means you can use such techniques for years during peace time, and wait to use the information collected during a hot war, ideally without ever revealing the vulnerability itself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It doesn't need to be. You are thinking like an American, which is a problem most American's have. China isn't planning on attacking the CONUS, this is for their patch of the World.

China's goal is not to destroy the US, that wouldn't benefit their economy, they just want the US to GTFO out of E.Asia.

PRC doesn't have to deal with all the BS the US and other Countries do. Let's test an ASAT, okay, etc, etc. Meanwhile Countries loose their shit if their big brother protector wants to make a port call with a nuc powered ship or, god forbid, a ship with nucs on board. China just doesn't GAF. Meanwhile, everyone is going on about climate change.

Remember when Japan spent all that money to buy/build that ABM ground based Ageis thing... They scrapped it because of public concern over the booster falling into populated areas. Falling booster vs. nuc, the falling booster is more of a concern. People's priorities are all fucked up. PRC doesn't answer to the public or pretty much the World for that matter.
View Quote

Ha...  Because it is not nuclear powered it has less room for aviation fuel and ordinance.  From what I've read the current generation of Chinese carrier based fighters also are not optimized for the new carrier launching system and must take off with less than a full load of ordinance.  All in all it does not have the same combat capabilities as an American Carrier.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Who sold, gave or left the catapult schematics unencrypted?
View Quote

There have been documentaries on how the work. Not like it’s a massive secret anymore
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ha...  Because it is not nuclear powered it has less room for aviation fuel and ordinance.  From what I've read the current generation of Chinese carrier based fighters also are not optimized for the new carrier launching system and must take off with less than a full load of ordinance.  All in all it does not have the same combat capabilities as an American Carrier.
View Quote

My understanding is they have less range but more weaponry. China has killed all our spies so it’s not like we know anything for certain but generally China realizes they don’t match us 100%, they think there’s a pivot point 75%, 80%, 90% where that capability along with a higher capacity than ours will be enough to succeed. They’re trying to acquire just enough tech coupled with higher quantity to overwhelm our tech. Missiles is where they think they’re matching us in tech.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Shipbuilding and ship repair is an advantage for China which is why I’m so fixated on the S-500. Dies it actually work? If so China could prevent us from damaging those facilities.
View Quote

Why is the s500 so important? I figured if we hit their ports or ship yards it would be with low flying cruise missles probably submarine launched?

The Russians were so ass backwards in Ukraine getting their fancy vls aa vehicles shot up by atgm teams we didn't get to see a combloc aa umbrella properly set up but I'd  assume it would be pretty decent if used correctly. I've read a large part of their budget and best personal go towards that and i would assume it's similar for the Chinese.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

F-18s I’m assuming you’re referring to Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why is the s500 so important? I figured if we hit their ports or ship yards it would be with low flying cruise missles probably submarine launched?

The Russians were so ass backwards in Ukraine getting their fancy vls aa vehicles shot up by atgm teams we didn't get to see a combloc aa umbrella properly set up but I'd  assume it would be pretty decent if used correctly. I've read a large part of their budget and best personal go towards that and i would assume it's similar for the Chinese.
View Quote

According to the Russians {which of course means Jack shit} they claim the S-500 can knock out all our current missiles, aircraft and low orbiting satellites - this one the Russian released data doesn’t seem to support for space related ops so it’s not T-72, T-90 or Ukraine comparable. I’ve been hoping they put one in Crimea so we can get info on it. GD scoffs and given SU57, Russia aircraft carrier etc I understand their skepticism but the S-500 Russia seems to have gone all in on judging from political and economic aspects. It was on Putin’s top 3 priorities. Could be dogshit or maybe it works. No clue. DOD, Congress and our Allie’s don’t have any solid info.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#33]
China launches the Fujian, the PLA Navy’s 3rd aircraft carrier

Chinese Navy just launched its biggest aircraft carrier ever
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Binkov gets some stuff right but sometimes he’s way off
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#35]
What's the take on China's ability to operate carriers given their lack of institutional knowledge so to speak developed from actual experience at carrier operations.  Just can't help at wondering how good they will be right off the bat with all the different divisions a carrier has and how a lot of their operation has been instilled in several generations of sailors and aviators in the US Navy and to a similar extent in the UK Navy or the Japanese JMSDF which also have a history of combat on the high seas.  

I see the US (and the UK Navy) as having experience in surface combat and fleet operations that results in tactics and concepts that are passed on institutionally.

Just because they have the ships, will they really be effective in the near term or do they have a lot of learning to do?  What has China done militarily with any combat at sea in modern history.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#36]
At least this time they copied a good design instead of trying to retrofit Russians crap carriers.

Looks to have a greater deck space than the Ford.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What's the take on China's ability to operate carriers given their lack of institutional knowledge so to speak developed from actual experience at carrier operations.  Just can't help at wondering how good they will be right off the bat with all the different divisions a carrier has and how a lot of their operation has been instilled in several generations of sailors and aviators in the US Navy and to a similar extent in the UK Navy or the Japanese JMSDF which also have a history of combat on the high seas.  

I see the US (and the UK Navy) as having experience in surface combat and fleet operations that results in tactics and concepts that are passed on institutionally.

Just because they have the ships, will they really be effective in the near term or do they have a lot of learning to do?  What has China done militarily with any combat at sea in modern history.
View Quote

My guess is they provoke a war with Vietnam then India to test bed their shit and gain some confidence.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My guess is they provoke a war with Vietnam then India to test bed their shit and gain some confidence.
View Quote

I wonder how that would prep them for a battle with a equivalent or greater peer/adversary?
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I didn't realize how important "pride" month was for China.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I wonder how that would prep them for a battle with a equivalent or greater peer/adversary?
View Quote

Crawl, walk, run
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

How recent has US UK and Japans been involved in full scale naval combat?
Maybe the british against argentina in falklands was the last one
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a Crawl, Walk, and then Run to the Top
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Their precision strike capabilities are astounding.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#45]
They named it Fujian. That's a province closest to Taiwan.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is what concerns me more than their carriers. They are not as good at carrier ops and they have fewer of them, but having a "STUXNET" style failure built into a bunch of mundane systems could be extremely beneficial.

If you can force a US ship to make port, or force the US Navy to fly out spare parts, then you can either take ships completely off the table, or make our ships more predictable.

And you don't even necessarily want to use an obvious kill switch, the deniability means you can use such techniques for years during peace time, and wait to use the information collected during a hot war, ideally without ever revealing the vulnerability itself.
View Quote

Kind of reminds me of the Star Trek TNG episode when Picard is a Borg.  The crew are trying to figure out how to defeat the Borg because they can adapt so rapidly and Picard, fighting the influence of the Borg, tells the Enterprise crew "sleep"- it was a backdoor that they forgot to lock and the crew of the Enterprise was able to put the Borg to sleep and thus gain the upper hand on them.  What happens when your watermakers shut down, or a cooling pump, or some other system that's not directly tied to the defense industry?

Are crew members allowed to bring their personal devices on board the ships?  It wouldn't be the first time we've had spies and saboteurs aboard our vessels.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How recent has US UK and Japans been involved in full scale naval combat?
Maybe the british against argentina in falklands was the last one
View Quote

I get it, but my point was a lot of our leaders are taught the history of battle through the military training institutions.  We made the transition from concept to fighting and learned a lot of lessons in World War II.  We then went on to Korea, Vietnam Gulf War 1 and 2.  Those carrier operations are built off of the development of the carrier prior to WWII and its heavy use in that war and most conflicts since.  In between wars those ships have still deployed and trained to fight a peer adversary in the cold war.  All the while that well orchestrated ballet we see go on the most dangerous working space on the earth has the benefit of years of practice, execution and refinement.

I get that they can crawl, walk, run.  But how do they really make up for several generations of experience that Navies with carriers like the US and even the French while the UK and Japan are seriously wanting back in to some type of carrier capability.   The UK and Japan have previous experience with carriers and have learned lessons from using them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I get it, but my point was a lot of our leaders are taught the history of battle through the military training institutions.  We made the transition from concept to fighting and learned a lot of lessons in World War II.  We then went on to Korea, Vietnam Gulf War 1 and 2.  Those carrier operations are built off of the development of the carrier prior to WWII and its heavy use in that war and most conflicts since.  In between wars those ships have still deployed and trained to fight a peer adversary in the cold war.  All the while that well orchestrated ballet we see go on the most dangerous working space on the earth has the benefit of years of practice, execution and refinement.

I get that they can crawl, walk, run.  But how do they really make up for several generations of experience that Navies with carriers like the US and even the French while the UK and Japan are seriously wanting back in to some type of carrier capability.   The UK and Japan have previous experience with carriers and have learned lessons from using them.
View Quote

This goes to their 2060 model but they honestly won’t wait 40 years. They know it would take 4 decades to garner that level of experience. But their strategy from what I can tell is a mix of “our missiles are the shit” + more numbers; aircraft, personnel, ships + good enough. That’s where the whole can’t match USA 100% on its advantages but between asymmetrical - cyber, space and “good enough” they can paint the USA into a corner that a Joe Biden type can do a Pacific version of the Afghanistan withdrawal. Both Russia and China incorporate a strategy of trying to put pressure or misinformation on the civilian public of their opponents in hopes that translates to political weakness of resolve. Whether these strategies will or can work remains to be seen. But important circles in the PLA seem to believe in it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not necessarily all of it, Europe has been selling a lot of shit to China's navy https://amp.dw.com/en/german-engine-technology-found-in-chinese-warships-report/a-59740301
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made in China

Not necessarily all of it, Europe has been selling a lot of shit to China's navy https://amp.dw.com/en/german-engine-technology-found-in-chinese-warships-report/a-59740301

The Euros have a much different take on economics with the Chinese and much different agreements than we do.

Ask Siemens.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Some here think that the invasion of Ukraine and thousands of murders isn't any of our business, and supporting Ukraine is a waste of taxpayers money.  They probably say the same thing about Taiwan.  Maybe this will wake some of them up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are building them so they have airpower on the backside of Taiwain far out in the ocean out of range of anti-ship missiles.

Some here think that the invasion of Ukraine and thousands of murders isn't any of our business, and supporting Ukraine is a waste of taxpayers money.  They probably say the same thing about Taiwan.  Maybe this will wake some of them up.

Probably not.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top