[#2]
Zeppelin is for old hippie burnouts

Stones just flat out suck

ACDC
OZZY
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones, in no particular order, are number 1 and 2 seeds. If you feel different you best visit another thread.

One rule is it must be a complete band, and not a performer like Hendrix or Jethro Tull. Bands will be considered at their peak, so no need to still be touring or alive.

Who are number 3 and 4?

My thoughts in no particular order:
AC DC? Always awesome.   Agreed
Aerosmith? They had a nice run.  Meh
Ozzy Osbourne? With his band, Black Sabbath, or a hybrid entry?    My favorite
Judas Priest? Enough said for the metal heads.   Awesome
Eagles? Not me, but a friend of mine would be offended if it was not discussed.  Gay
Rush? A personal favorite. Up tempo gay
Montrose, the album Montrose? It was a monster and I would consider Ronnie Montrose with Sammy Hagar a contender on that album alone. Who ?
Lynyrd Skynyrd? Hell yea  Meh
Beatles? GTFO and find a geezer thread elsewhere. Agreed
Boston? Maybe if you're wanting to get laid, but they get spanked in the first round. Gay-up tempo gay
Kiss? Not my favorite but definitely a pioneer with legs. Better than most of your pics
Molly Hatchet? Just a joke unless you still have a mullet and live in Florida. Still better than most of your picks especially the stones

Post your bracket if you can. Me, I've been thinking about this for several years and still can't pin down my final 4.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:21:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One rule is it must be a complete band, and not a performer like Hendrix or Jethro Tull.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Similarly, her name is not Blondie.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Pink Floyd. Plenty of others up for the remainder of the final 4.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pink Floyd

Queen

This should have been obvious.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is no one named Jethro Tull in Jethro Tull, it's the name of the band.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No arguments but if one cannot name at least 2 fellow band members, then the band was the performer in my opinion. Who played drums for Hendrix, guitar for Alice Cooper, Bass for Jethro Tull? Very few people can answer those questions or even care.

There is no one named Jethro Tull in Jethro Tull, it's the name of the band.

You missed my point. Ian Anderson was "Jethro Tull" (the band) and most fans cannot name who played bass, drums, etc.

Sorry my post was not more clear.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones, in no particular order, are number 1 and 2 seeds. If you feel different you best visit another thread.

One rule is it must be a complete band, and not a performer like Hendrix or Jethro Tull. Bands will be considered at their peak, so no need to still be touring or alive.

Who are number 3 and 4?

My thoughts in no particular order:
AC DC? Always awesome.   Agreed
Aerosmith? They had a nice run.  Meh
Ozzy Osbourne? With his band, Black Sabbath, or a hybrid entry?    My favorite
Judas Priest? Enough said for the metal heads.   Awesome
Eagles? Not me, but a friend of mine would be offended if it was not discussed.  Gay
Rush? A personal favorite. Up tempo gay
Montrose, the album Montrose? It was a monster and I would consider Ronnie Montrose with Sammy Hagar a contender on that album alone. Who ?
Lynyrd Skynyrd? Hell yea  Meh
Beatles? GTFO and find a geezer thread elsewhere. Agreed
Boston? Maybe if you're wanting to get laid, but they get spanked in the first round. Gay-up tempo gay
Kiss? Not my favorite but definitely a pioneer with legs. Better than most of your pics
Molly Hatchet? Just a joke unless you still have a mullet and live in Florida. Still better than most of your picks especially the stones

Post your bracket if you can. Me, I've been thinking about this for several years and still can't pin down my final 4.

Point has been addressed and no one yet has named who played in Tull other then Ian Anderson,
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Point has been addressed and no one yet has named who played in Tull other then Ian Anderson,
View Quote

That’s because Tull sucked too

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#11]
“My favorite bands are Def Leppard, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Van Halen, not Van Hagar”

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I think there should only be 3.

Zepp
Stones
Skynyrd

After this you fall down to another level.

People that listed Tom Petty? WTH?

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You missed my point. Ian Anderson was "Jethro Tull" (the band) and most fans cannot name who played bass, drums, etc.

Sorry my post was not more clear.
View Quote

So who was better, Tony Iommi, or Martin Barre as a Guitarist in Tull?  

Was John Glasscock really a BDSM aficionado?  

None of these things really have anything to do with the fact that Tull, The band, not the Farmer was in fact a band, not just Ian Anderson.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#14]
<--Graduated HS in 1986.

If you grew up in that era I think that there was probably quite a bit of variation depending on where you lived.

When I was in jr. high and HS in the first half of the 80s, the "big four" were generally considered to be:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Kinks

Led Zeppelin was a band that was listened to by the guys smoking pot in the bathroom. Same for Iron Maiden. Black Sabbath was just scary. Weird kids listened to punk, mainly The Clash.

The Doors were still very popular. The biography of Jim Morrison, "Noone Gets Out of Here Alive" was popular when I was a freshman in HS.

Yes's 90125 was huge in 1983 - 84. Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers was big in 84 - 85.

VH of course was big and listened to by pretty much everyone.

When The Who reunited and toured in 1989 (I was already in college) it was FUCKING HUGE. Pete's solo stuff in the 80s was also really popular.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So who was better, Tony Iommi, or Martin Barre as a Guitarist in Tull?  

Was John Glasscock really a BDSM aficionado?  

None of these things really have anything to do with the fact that Tull, The band, not the Farmer was in fact a band, not just Ian Anderson.  

View Quote

Without hitting the Internet I do recognize Toni Iommi as old school Sabbath, but do not remember him as playing with Tull. Which would be an error on my side.

But earlier I referenced Jetro Tull as as a band name. Same as I know there was never a band member named Led that played for Led Zepplin
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<--Graduated HS in 1986.

If you grew up in that era I think that there was probably quite a bit of variation depending on where you lived.

When I was in jr. high and HS in the first half of the 80s, the "big four" were generally considered to be:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Kinks

Led Zeppelin was a band that was listened to by the guys smoking pot in the bathroom. Same for Iron Maiden. Black Sabbath was just scary. Weird kids listened to punk, mainly The Clash.

The Doors were still very popular. The biography of Jim Morrison, "Noone Gets Out of Here Alive" was popular when I was a freshman in HS.

Yes's 90125 was huge in 1983 - 84. Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers was big in 84 - 85.

VH of course was big and listened to by pretty much everyone.

When The Who reunited and toured in 1989 (I was already in college) it was FUCKING HUGE. Pete's solo stuff in the 80s was also really popular.
View Quote

Trying to refrain but the Kinks? They had a few good songs but no where close to a top 4. Doors... too early in rock most of their songs have no legs. Deep purple, VH, the Who, all had good runs (VH) but don't seem top 4 seed bands to me. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Eric Clapton
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Eric Clapton
View Quote

Lay Down Sally
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Uhh, Jethro Tull was a band
View Quote

By the way, which one is Pink?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Who played drums for Hendrix?
View Quote

There was no band named "Hendrix".
Mitch Mitchell played drums for "The Jimi Hendrix Experience".
Buddy Miles played drums for "Band Of Gypsies".
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Trying to refrain but the Kinks? They had a few good songs but no where close to a top 4. Doors... too early in rock most of their songs have no legs. Deep purple, VH, the Who, all had good runs (VH) but don't seem top 4 seed bands to me. YMMV
View Quote

That's why I pointed out that IMO the answer to the OP's question can depend on where you grew up. Some bands were more popular in certain areas than others.

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Hands down, unequivocally, without a doubt,  Lynyrd skynyrd should be on that list. If not number one on that list!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top