Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I apologize in advance for what's going to be a rather lengthy post!  

Thanks to @rustedace for hosting & running us again, @captain_morgan and @renegadeburrito for running people, and a special thanks to @maxtherabbit, @40delta and @landraider for fixing the plumbing.  I also want to acknowledge @KaiK handling the provisioning (aka lots of bourbon, energy drinks and junk food, but virtually no water or gatorade ).  And, I can't skip @pbjunkie, @landraider, and @codym (and any others) who helped prepare food for the long weekend.  

This event marks a couple of personal milestones, and it seems fitting that Cola Warrior X is my 10th event.  Failing all the obstacles at Classic III (my second event) opened my eyes.  I joined a gym a few days later and began working at correcting some of the issues.  There have been ups and downs,  particularly recently given the coronavirus shutdowns, but I've seen progress. This year, I've been trying to challenge myself on a couple of fronts, and those efforts paid dividends at this event.  I ran with more people than ever, and, as a result, I ended up with nearly 1000 pictures. I'll be going through them in the coming days and trying to get them posted as I have time.

The ayatollah always seems to find ways to make the course more difficult and provide lessons to those willing to learn.  For example, the loaner carrier and plate combo is miserable, and it inspired the purchase of a nice carrier and lightweight-ish ceramic plates a year or two ago.  This year, several people suffered through a loaner helmet, too, making me quite glad for my bump helmet.  Past events also showed me that my offhand and positional shooting needed work.  I built a reliable AR15 rifle with an ACOG late last year after having issues with my 308 rifle at an event or two, and it's really been paying off on the range.

This is the second time I attempted a 2L - the first was at SE earlier this year, which ended in failure around the halfway point.  This time, I was determined to succeed, and I did.  I also joined the "I got an obstacle at Classic club" this year, which felt great, even if it was something of a gimme, especially for this course.  The shooting side of things went well enough, although seating rifle mags properly can help.    I ended up tied with @landraider, so we competed in a tire shoving contest to see who would get the upper slot.  He put up a good fight, but my additional height and weight paid off - it would have been even more epic had it been for 10th and 11th places.   We also had a tie between icrpdmeself (despite his insistence that @ORJeepguy is his name) and @UniqueSND - I like this new method of settling placement!

Then I went on to win the Macon Armory shoot-off - a single standing shot at an unknown distance, unknown size target.  We learned it was roughly a 3x12" target at 282 yards afterward, and I'm still surprised that I knocked it over using a 3x ACOG and Wolf steel case ammo.  

After these event, I always think about what I could have done better.  Could I have come up with an extra 19 seconds to move up to 10th place?  In retrospect, yes, I could have spent a bit less time on (failed) attempts at the obstacles, pushed a harder on the run, shot just a bit better, or chugged a little faster...but I'm still happy with my run and the improvement that it showed over previous years.  

View Quote

It was a wonderful shot, and fell roughing 1" from center. Well done!!

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I apologize in advance for what's going to be a rather lengthy post!  

Thanks to @rustedace for hosting & running us again, @captain_morgan and @renegadeburrito for running people, and a special thanks to @maxtherabbit, @40delta and @landraider for fixing the plumbing.  I also want to acknowledge @KaiK handling the provisioning (aka lots of bourbon, energy drinks and junk food, but virtually no water or gatorade ).  And, I can't skip @pbjunkie, @landraider, and @codym (and any others) who helped prepare food for the long weekend.  

This event marks a couple of personal milestones, and it seems fitting that Cola Warrior X is my 10th event.  Failing all the obstacles at Classic III (my second event) opened my eyes.  I joined a gym a few days later and began working at correcting some of the issues.  There have been ups and downs,  particularly recently given the coronavirus shutdowns, but I've seen progress. This year, I've been trying to challenge myself on a couple of fronts, and those efforts paid dividends at this event.  I ran with more people than ever, and, as a result, I ended up with nearly 1000 pictures. I'll be going through them in the coming days and trying to get them posted as I have time.

The ayatollah always seems to find ways to make the course more difficult and provide lessons to those willing to learn.  For example, the loaner carrier and plate combo is miserable, and it inspired the purchase of a nice carrier and lightweight-ish ceramic plates a year or two ago.  This year, several people suffered through a loaner helmet, too, making me quite glad for my bump helmet.  Past events also showed me that my offhand and positional shooting needed work.  I built a reliable AR15 rifle with an ACOG late last year after having issues with my 308 rifle at an event or two, and it's really been paying off on the range.

This is the second time I attempted a 2L - the first was at SE earlier this year, which ended in failure around the halfway point.  This time, I was determined to succeed, and I did.  I also joined the "I got an obstacle at Classic club" this year, which felt great, even if it was something of a gimme, especially for this course.  The shooting side of things went well enough, although seating rifle mags properly can help.    I ended up tied with @landraider, so we competed in a tire shoving contest to see who would get the upper slot.  He put up a good fight, but my additional height and weight paid off - it would have been even more epic had it been for 10th and 11th places.   We also had a tie between icrpdmeself (despite his insistence that @ORJeepguy is his name) and @UniqueSND - I like this new method of settling placement!

Then I went on to win the Macon Armory shoot-off - a single standing shot at an unknown distance, unknown size target.  We learned it was roughly a 3x12" target at 282 yards afterward, and I'm still surprised that I knocked it over using a 3x ACOG and Wolf steel case ammo.  

After these event, I always think about what I could have done better.  Could I have come up with an extra 19 seconds to move up to 10th place?  In retrospect, yes, I could have spent a bit less time on (failed) attempts at the obstacles, pushed a harder on the run, shot just a bit better, or chugged a little faster...but I'm still happy with my run and the improvement that it showed over previous years.  

View Quote

Water, like out of the toilet?
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
W finally figured out a good place to put up all the pouches I've collected over the years. Properly motivational.

Attachment Attached File

Loco's patch is so cool this year it got the honored spot on the training plate carrier, which is what everyone sees.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I forgot how bad swamp mud sucks.  It's everywhere.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Comparing the visual suffering from X while enduring the drive back to our homeland...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of the cool stuff I brought home. Thanks loco_engineer, JohnStoner, and Kai for the great patches! Also, icrpdmeself, ORjeepguy, whatever....loving the new AK muzzle device.

THANK YOU SPONSORS!!! I keep talking about the shit I need to buy to build a new CWAR, but my wife insists her ride needs new tires. I can’t see the belts yet so they’re good right?

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Fun side note, I ran the windowed pmags DK-prof donated to the OG Cola Warrior.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Comparing the visual suffering from X while enduring the drive back to our homeland...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/439934/20200823_201636_jpg-1559672.JPG
View Quote

@splat2013
What the hell are y'all listening to???
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@splat2013
What the hell are y'all listening to???
View Quote

Hahahahaha I noticed that after I posted it and was curious who would see it first.

When I graduated high school my dad made me a bunch of CD's with songs that came out every year of my life...he named them all. When I uploaded everything to I-tunes I just used the CD names that he used since I was too lazy to go through and name them all individually. This CD was entitled "Chillin with Elmo in my Pooh Bear Shirt"

Edit: went back and looked for the purpose of this post, the song was "This Kiss" by Faith Hill
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hahahahaha I noticed that after I posted it and was curious who would see it first.

When I graduated high school my dad made me a bunch of CD's with songs that came out every year of my life...he named them all. When I uploaded everything to I-tunes I just used the CD names that he used since I was too lazy to go through and name them all individually. This CD was entitled "Chillin with Elmo in my Pooh Bear Shirt"

Edit: went back and looked for the purpose of this post, the song was "This Kiss" by Faith Hill
View Quote

I was with you until that part. Oof, what an awful song.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a white soroity girl, what do you expect from me?

And in all honesty my iPod has a very random conglomerate on it, I dont really delete things. I've found a number of songs I've never liked but still ended up on there from my sister somehow
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And in all honesty my iPod has a very random conglomerate on it, I dont really delete things. I've found a number of songs I've never liked but still ended up on there from my sister somehow
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faith Hill has some good songs, but the chorus of "this kiss, thiiiis kiiiiiiis" always makes me want to kick puppies.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Faith Hill has some good songs, but the chorus of "this kiss, thiiiis kiiiiiiis" always makes me want to kick puppies.
View Quote

BMSMB loves when I sing him songs in weird voices. Keeps both of us entertained on this 35+ hour drive
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, us East folk made it home this afternoon.  What a wonderful, penalizing event.  I did about as well as I was expecting, with the exception of the trashcan AK, and barely clearing pistol.  Much thanks as always to RustedAce, Kai, Captain Morgan, Burrito, and others for helping out.  I didn't really take many pictures, and what I took pictures of has already been covered in this thread.  It was great to see a lot of old friends and make a couple new friends as well!
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Also, if you ran Classic this year and did not get a patch from me, please get a hold of me on here or on fb and I will get one out to you.  As of now I have spares of every color but regular Multicam.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Other people fighting a losing battle against the AK is another part of my placement this year.  Fools!  Having two dust covers confused you all!  You vainly sought to find one of them to be easy, but it was all a trick!  Both were awfull!
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Explain why I should be nicer next year and not go full nightmare mode?
View Quote

I got nothing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

All runs under nods with simple obstacles.... with 100x strobe lights in the background... thats my vote. Add a colorized puzzle to put together too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make skipping obstacles more than a 5 minute penalty? Maybe 10 or 15? Something to discourage out of shape good shooters from touching obstacles and walking the half mile?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Make skipping obstacles more than a 5 minute penalty? Maybe 10 or 15? Something to discourage out of shape good shooters from touching obstacles and walking the half mile?
View Quote

How dare you try to penalize my strategy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quit copying me!
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why did Dr Fauchi want to shoot Old Gregs AK?

Gross
View Quote

The ayatollah did as well.

He proclaimed it to be garbage. Much to our suprise.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seconded
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Burrito should have to wear two helmets next year for his run for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fukin lmao

Dammit burrito, that one’s on you.

He’ll probably never allow me to have swamp sushi again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Edit:maybe fixed my link
Edit2: nope, apparently don't understand how to link images
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
Not sure exactly how you fucked it up, so I saved and hosted it myself.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9tXjayWvyI

When every obstacle smokes you.  

Stupid phone ran out of memory.
View Quote

Is this not timed? Just to wear you out/raise heart rate before a shoot stage?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're thinking of this as a shooting competition. Think of it as a misery competition, that happens to have some shooting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This gets my vote
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not sure exactly how you fucked it up, so I saved and hosted it myself.
View Quote

Ah, yet another penalty under my belt. Maybe I can fix this one

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cola Warrior, where a 5 minute penalty isnt enough.
View Quote

Each obstacle could have an associated weight. Failing said obstacle means that weight needs to come with you for the rest of the course.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Each obstacle could have an associated weight. Failing said obstacle means that weight needs to come with you for the rest of the course.
View Quote

Stop helping.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Each failed obstacle is a 5 minute penalty. Better to do them slow than rush and fail them.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Sorry if this was addressed in the FAQ, but why is everyone drinking Mountain Dew at Cola Warrior?  Is this like the thing where all carbonated beverages are called Coke?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sorry if this was addressed in the FAQ, but why is everyone drinking Mountain Dew at Cola Warrior?  Is this like the thing where all carbonated beverages are called Coke?
View Quote

It's one of the more lightly carbonated beverages, easier to chug.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shut up. This is bad idea. Horrible.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would be too hard. Add another 12oz can for each failed obstacle.

Same penalty applies to the added can.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fukin lmao

Dammit burrito, that one’s on you.

Yea I'm not sure how that one slipped by. Guess I get 5 min penalty to start my time next year.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice vertical video
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top