BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There’s a very real “don’t meet your heroes” vibe in the gun world.

Python, MP5, UZI, AK.... often lose a bit their reputation once they actually get shot a bunch.
View Quote

AKs are a ton of fun, and I’ve never heard any complaints about the MP5.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d rant her have the stainless GP100.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

i dont care for how needlessly complicated the MP5 is but i have no problem with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot a friend's 77 Python, six inch barrel.  I don't have a lot of experience with revolvers.  I've shot a few .22's, a Taurus Tracker in .357 and I own an S&W Model 19-5.  I did like the trigger on that Python, in both DA and SA.  Also, the pistol was very accurate.

A friend of mine possesses an S&W 686 Classic DX that came with a test target showing a stupid small group that was actually shot at 25 yards...I guess that's how S&W deemed some of their 686 Classics to being "Classic Deluxes," they had to shoot small groups at 25.  I am certain that Smith would out shoot most any Python it was less than half the price.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

i dont care for how needlessly complicated the MP5 is but i have no problem with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AKs are a ton of fun, and I've never heard any complaints about the MP5.

>No gas system
>Needlessly complicated

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Never cared for Colts

Not only is the cylinder relais just wrong they are lock work has always been very finicky.

They are definitely a Target revolver, not a Combat revolver, they're just too ... delicate? Temperamental? I can't quite find the words.

But they did have great barrels, so much so that's back in the day people used to put Colt barrels on Smith frames.

Smith's or Ruger's for me all day everyday.
View Quote

The 70s era Detective Special, Cobra, and the Trooper MK III are all fine revolvers. I equate them equally with their S&W counterparts of the same era, maybe a bit more so as I shoot Colts very well.

Colts seem to shoot "longer" for me. I can shoot the DS or Cobra snub just as well as a 4" S&W....Always could for some reason.

My EDC is a 1970 Colt Cobra, so much nicer than a J-Frame in most all aspects yet smaller than a K-frame snub.

The "new" Colt Cobra was a bitter disappointment, you may as well carried around a Model 19 snub as that damn thing.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lol.

Or spend about 10 bucks on Wolff springs and about 10 minutes polishing surfaces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol.

Or spend about 10 bucks on Wolff springs and about 10 minutes polishing surfaces.

^This is why we do the push off test before purchasing a used revolver ladies and gents.

Quoted:

It sounds like the new Cobra is a better gun than the new Python.  I've heard more negative stuff about the new Python.  YMMV.

They are nice little guns. I carry mine on occasion
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

>No gas system
>Needlessly complicated

https://i.imgur.com/BTvPv0R.jpg

View Quote

the whole gun could be far simpler, not having a gas system is nice but still

the whole trigger group is silly, just look at all those tiny parts.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There’s a very real “don’t meet your heroes” vibe in the gun world.

Python, MP5, UZI, AK.... often lose a bit their reputation once they actually get shot a bunch.

MP5s suck for mag changes and are notorious for extractor spring failures.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll just keep my 686s...

I've had shots at a few Pythons near the $1200-1500 mark. I couldn't ever bring myself to pay for them then and the new one certainly doesn't justify it either.
View Quote

there ya go!!
a good smith and Wesson 686 is a good firearm!!
I had both a 6 inch and an 8-3/8
the 6 was a carry, and the 8-3/8 was mostly for range.
but both worked in the longhorn shoulder holsters.

later I had a dan Wesson kit with all the barrels in .357

the old colts from the 1970's and even early 1980's were ok...
I was never impressed with the new stuff..

I switched over to good quality pistols and have never looked back...

but I still have my colt national guard ar as nib.
kinda cool unit with both the 5.56 and 22 cal as factory.
it was an investment back in the early 1980's..
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like the new Python has the same issues as the original. My dads old Python had light strikes as well sometimes. Smooth trigger, but with the cost of light strikes, not a strong enough hammer spring. Meanwhile my S&W 686 would always work. The Python is pretty, but the Smith is a workhorse.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

the whole gun could be far simpler, not having a gas system is nice but still

the whole trigger group is silly, just look at all those tiny parts.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/bd/e9/9bbde941eac136ddc12e374573c4a413.jpg
View Quote

Looks ok to me.(My last name is German)

Honestly, its nice to be able to just swap out a bad trigger pack without any tools.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]

pretty contest

1. python

2. 586/686

3. GP100

-------------------------------------------

strong contest

1. GP100

2. 586/686

3. Python.

--------------------------------------------

accruacy test

tie

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Pythons always were more show than go...never understood the allure. They are pretty, but their triggers are laughable in comparison to a Smith of the same era. This rings true for all Colt wheelguns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
She's hotter than the gun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Its Colt, it'll retain its value even if shitty, guaranteed. It'll go up in value if you keep the box. Nobody pays $1400 and will actually shoot it regularly. Most will just shoot a few rounds and put it away so it won't hurt the resale value.

Colt died a long time ago, but some how they are able to still cash in on thier name.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOL at peeps that thought they would get old Python quality in a $1500.00 revolver. Hell even the old ones were sorta weak.

The hell of it is the fan-boys that bought the first lot with the recall won't send them back so you will have a bunch of defective guns out there long after the recall is forgotten about.
View Quote

For $1500 shouldn't Colt be able to make a Python that is BETTER than the old ones? I would think modern manufacturing methods should be able to negate most of the need for expensive hand fitting. The main problem that I see with this new Python is that it looks like Colt did effectively ZERO testing before unleashing it on the masses. The first 100 guns off the line should have been shot and abused with all types of ammo until they broke and then they could have corrected the weaknesses of the design. Colt is basically using John Q. Public as their beta testers at this point, perhaps in the knowledge that many people who buy guns these days barely ever actually shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Don’t have a new one, but I do have the one I bought when I was 13 in 1960. It has a SN 4xxx with a 6” barrel, indicating it was manufactured in 1957.  I have run over 15000 rounds through it flawlessly. Have no doubt it will continue to perform.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I never thought the originals were that great, especially for what they go for.  Give me a pre-lock 686.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like you LP... but sometimes you say some DUMB shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#22]
You can't pistol whip a bad guy with a Colt Python even a little bit, the cylinder latch will break. You can however beat the shit out of a bad guy all day long with a Ruger Security Six.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Never cared for Colts

Not only is the cylinder relais just wrong they are lock work has always been very finicky.

They are definitely a Target revolver, not a Combat revolver, they're just too ... delicate? Temperamental? I can't quite find the words.

But they did have great barrels, so much so that's back in the day people used to put Colt barrels on Smith frames.

Smith's or Ruger's for me all day everyday.
View Quote

Yes. yes they did. I have a Smith - Wesson mod 19 with a 4 inch Colt Python barrel. That gun is 37 years old and I have had it for 35.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lol. Now everyone remembers why people put Python barrels on Smith actions. The myth is a lie and the new guns are not even faithful remakes of the old ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Lol. Now everyone remembers why people put Python barrels on Smith actions. The myth is a lie and the new guns are not even faithful remakes of the old ones.

Python barrel were choke bored. That was why they were accurate.

Quoted:
So in her annoying style she essentially says the gun is crap that shouldn't have left the factory and that Colt should have ("kinda sorta" done a recall but she still loves it and recommends it.  Weird review.

Are those laminated grips on that gun?

Yes. I hate them.

It's been know that hard primers in firearms can fail to go off for years, but are needed in some guns like ARs. This was one of the problems that, that GoldenWebb kid had in his Python. This woman's test was designed to fail, as she was shooting ammo that is notorious for having hard primers.

I was one of the first to get a 2020 Python. My gun has a serial over 2K, and has been utterly reliable for the 4 hundred rounds fired through it since it warmed up. I do think Colt rushed these to market without dotting their Is, and crossing their Ts, but a few growing pains with a newly designed firearm are expected, and do not make it a shit firearm. What you have here is the internet blowing shit way out of proportion.

I have an original Python and it's much nicer than the new one, but it's worth exceeded me being able to enjoy it. I have been impressed with the new one, and as of yet. I do not have any buyer's remorse.  I like them just fine, but give me a classic Smith any day.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've seen some new ones with a really fucked up crown.

for those who don't know....a good crown is essential to accuracy

here's an example of a new one.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/H2gyAlEBM6c/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Someone posted a pic of a new King Cobra on the 1911 forum that looked just like that. It was lead wipe, and cleaned off with no problem.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Someone posted a pic of a new King Cobra on the 1911 forum that looked just like that. It was lead wipe, and cleaned off with no problem.
View Quote

@JDemond

fast forward to 3:03, Colt admits the bad crowns

Hickock45 having trouble also

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They'll work the kinks out. I don't know how long it'll take.
View Quote

Just wished that they had worked it out before releasing them in the market.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They'll work the kinks out. I don't know how long it'll take.

I bet it would have been stuck in R&D for another five years before they would have worked all the Kinks out.

and even then they would still have to manufacture a quite a few thousand of them for the new Workforce to get experienced enough on them to get them right.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like these so much I went out and...…..bought a GP-100.
View Quote

GP100... The Glock of the revolver world.

Only revolver I own.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

^This is why we do the push off test before purchasing a used revolver ladies and gents.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Quoted:

It sounds like the new Cobra is a better gun than the new Python.  I've heard more negative stuff about the new Python.  YMMV.

I bought a new Night Cobra, it's my favorite EDC now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#31]
At the price of the 2020 Python, I'd spend a few hundred more and get a Dan Wesson 715 which has an adjustable rear sight like the 686 and comes with 3 barrels.  

And the motherfucking thing works, unlike the Python.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Lol....I have 2 of those Smolts.

I love the looks of the Python but never picked one up, I prefer SW.

That said I have an old 1965 Colt Trooper(like a python but not as pretty) and it's a darn nice shooter.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That said I have an old 1965 Colt Trooper(like a python but not as pretty) and it's a darn nice shooter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Friend of mine has a Trooper MKIII and an 80s Python. He likes the Trooper every bit as much as its expensive brother.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#34]
The original Python looked nice, actually shooting them not so much.
Looks like Colt nailed it with the remake.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There's a very real "don't meet your heroes" vibe in the gun world.

View Quote
Mp5 on full auto is pretty damn cool.

Heavy pig, but cool.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#36]
In all fairness, the failures to fire could have been the ARMSCOR ammunition. In my experience, most of it goes bang except when it doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Friend of mine has a Trooper MKIII and an 80s Python. He likes the Trooper every bit as much as its expensive brother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Peeps bought the Python because it was "pretty", fair enough but men bought the Trooper MK III because it was tough as nails, a pure working gun.

None of that "practice with .38 special" crap like with the K-Frame .357s yet the frame was still just slightly larger than the K-Frames but smaller than a N-Frame, particularly in the size of the cylinder.

Colt got it just right with the Trooper MK III.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn, that was a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

MP5s suck for mag changes and are notorious for extractor spring failures.
View Quote

Mag changes & mag prices are really my only gripe, I enjoy pretty much everything else about it
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Peeps bought the Python because it was "pretty", fair enough but men bought the Trooper MK III because it was tough as nails, a pure working gun.

None of that "practice with .38 special" crap like with the K-Frame .357s yet the frame was still just slightly larger than the K-Frames but smaller than a N-Frame, particularly in the size of the cylinder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They did get the Trooper right, Excellent revolver. Unfortunately if Colt starts producing the Trooper again it'll be as fucked up as a soup sammich just like the Python.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
  They did get the Trooper right, Excellent revolver. Unfortunately if Colt starts producing the Trooper again it'll be as fucked up as a soup sammich just like the Python.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Trooper III's were one of the strongest .357's of it's time. Only downside was if someone ''tuned'' the trigger and cut into the soft metal under the hardened part. Almost every complaint about wear was due to this.

I have a couple, a blued one and a nickle one. They are harder to find then Pythons for some reason in really nice shape.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Trooper III's were one of the strongest .357's of it's time. Only downside was if someone ''tuned'' the trigger and cut into the soft metal under the hardened part. Almost every complaint about wear was due to this.

I have a couple, a blued one and a nickle one. They are harder to find then Pythons for some reason in really nice shape.
View Quote

I have two exactly like that also.

Both made in the mid 70's IIRC.

Robust guns!!

First time I fired one decades ago I said "Jesus, was this frame made for a .50 caliber machine gun initially!!??".
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've never seen anyone say anything negative about an MP5.
View Quote

Poor trigger, mags don't last when loaded full, rear sight adjustment screws break, jam and make it impossible to zero.

Now the Uzi OTOH, never heard anything bad about those. Mags are used in tons of other guns because they're the bee's knees.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Poor trigger, mags don't last when loaded full, rear sight adjustment screws break, jam and make it impossible to zero.

Now the Uzi OTOH, never heard anything bad about those. Mags are used in tons of other guns because they're the bee's knees.
View Quote

Top covers wear out on UZIs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes. yes they did. I have a Smith - Wesson mod 19 with a 4 inch Colt Python barrel. That gun is 37 years old and I have had it for 35.
View Quote

They used to be called Smolts or/and Smythons round here.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top