BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
James Monroe Flanigan

13th Georgia Cavalry, Company I.

Salute to all of my countrymen in this thread.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
16th Regiment Missouri Infantry
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Apparently, I had some traitors who fought for the confederacy on my Dad's mother's side.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Lt. James Wentworth
2nd Fla Brigade
Captured at Gettysburg during Pickets Charge (he actually wrote in his diary while they waiting to charge)
Rest of the war Union POW
Became a lawyer after the war
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking through the genealogy back to 1649, I'm amazed how many of my ancestors had 10-15 kids with relatively few surviving to adulthood.
First American immigrant: 1689, New Kent, VA (then part of James City County). Buried in St. Peter's parish.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nathan Bedford Forest.
View Quote

No sh*t?  Awesome non-military schooled battlefield leader.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
My family fought in French & Indian War then moved to VA and fought in the revolution from there and other southern states...
Went to KY with the Boones.

We fought on both sides during the Civil War found some of them right in my aunt and uncles back yard at Chickamauga
My dad's sister and my uncle built a home 60 yrs ago in Rossville,GA....the construction site turned up many artifacts as farmers
fields next door did for many years.

The DAR recently honored a couple of our relatives in VA as certified Revolutionary soldiers
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Texas Thirty-fourth Cavalry (Alexander's Regiment, Second Partisan Rangers)

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Gray's 28th Infantry

Kimbrel, S. P.,
Pvt. Co. H, 28th (Gray's) La. Inf.
En. Feb. 17, 1863, Arcadia.
Present on Roll for July and Aug., 1863. On Rolls of Prisoners of War, Paroled at Monroe, La., June 16, 1865.
Res. Bienville Par., La.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
My great Grandfather (Mothers side) . . .

William T. Montgomery (1844-1918) . . . 27th Texas Cavalry, C.S.A.

My great Grandfather on my Dad's side fought for the Union army in Tennessee.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
From my 2nd Cousin.  Add a generation for me.

Two of my forefathers were in the 29th Texas Cavalry of the Confederacy. They were my great-great-grandfather Mathias Mowery and his oldest son James Richard Mowery, my great grandfather. Mathias was taken prisoner by the North and later died as a prisoner of war at Camp Morton, near Indianapolis, Indiana.

They were treated like dogs and Mathius buried in a mass grave
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Willis B. Langston: Co. E, 34th Texas Cavalry, CSA  my Great Great Grandfather on my Dad's side.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Pharmer Leslie, Pvt. Co G 5th Kentucky Infantry. At the tender age of 60. Great, great,great grandfather.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kirkwood,.

ANDERSONVILLE.

Captured...

Pennsylvania.

Screw you Confed people....but I understand heritage.
View Quote

You do realize the food shortages at Andersonville were caused by The North's March to the Sea that burned every crop and destroyed all food stocks in the state of Georgia?  I had two relatives that survived a Northern POW camp.  They were 2 of the 8 survivors out of 225 that arrived in the camp at the same time.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]

116 years!

He was one of the last Civil War vets.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

116 years!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

116 years!

No, I thought that too until I zoomed in on the original.  It actually says 1919 not 1949.  It's a stain or shadow that makes the 1 look like a 4.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Paternal G, G, GF: Company C, 38th Virginia Infantry Regiment.  Laurel Grove Riflemen. I have his pension papers now. Says skull fracture and shoulder smashed by grapeshot, under a infantry charge, Battle of Gettysburg.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Lachlan Neil Barlow.  My great, great, grandfather.

20th Georgia Cavalry

This battalion was formed in 1862 as "Millen's Battalion Georgia Partisan Rangers," also known as the 1st Georgia Partisan Rangers. They were later re-designated as the 20th Georgia Cavalry Battalion, Yancey's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia before being broken up by special order of 11 July, 1864. Company B was transferred to Company G of the Cavalry Battalion of the Jeff Davis Legion, Mississippi troops. Company F, "the Liberty Mounted Rangers" or "Liberty Dragoons" of Liberty County, was formed Jul, 1862, from men of Liberty, Thomas, and Montgomery counties. On July 24, 1864, they were officially transferred to the 10th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry, and as such served under General Joseph Wheeler in the Atlanta campaign. The men of these two companies left Georgia for the Army of Northern Virginia in April 1864, and fought at Haw's Shop, May 28, 1864; Trevillian Station, June 1l 12,1864;WhiteHouse, June20,1864; Nansis Shop, June 24, 1864; Sopri Church, June 28-29, 1864; New Market, July 16, 1864; Charles City Courthouse; White Oak Swamp, July 18, 1864; Reams Station, August 25, 1864.

Lachlan Neil Barlow, enlisted April 1862; transferred to Company F, September 12, 1863; Killed at Cumming, GA, October 1, 1864.

I have been unable to determine how he was killed. There is no reference to any battles in that area during that time.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#20]
TFL
(if the thugs don't turn this thread into a shitshow)
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]
GG Grandfather Brig General Alfred Mouton
Seriously wounded at Shiloh, killed at the age of 35 leading a Calvary charge at the battle of Mansfield in April 1864

One of his Colt Navy 44s today(ish)

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#22]
A few on both sides. William Stork (Willie) Jett, a cousin has a unique place in history.  Look him up. You'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't have the details in front of me, but my forebears weren't with Lincoln. One of them lost his head over it via Union cannonball
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Great *3 Grandfather served with the 60th Tennessee Infantry Regiment and fought at Vicksburg. He apparently also served in Virginia. Got the papers around here detailing his service in a box somewhere.

Love dragging out this anytime someone asks why a half-asian guy calls bullshit on some of the retards out here. I'm real sure the fake redneck flying a battle flag had kin fight in the war. One of these days, I'll get out to Washington County and the Limestone area to see the stack of relatives buried out there.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#25]
41st Georgia Volunteers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
4 quick ones off the top of my head, have 22 total including indirect:

Army of Northern Virginia
Co B, 13th Mississippi Infantry x1(NCO, 3rdCPL)

Dio Vindice, SCV
View Quote

He fought under Barksdale at Fredericksburg where they held up the Union bridgebuilders for hours; allowing Jackson to march north and reinforce Lee's otherwise open right flank.  Any stories?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You do realize the food shortages at Andersonville were caused by The North's March to the Sea that burned every crop and destroyed all food stocks in the state of Georgia?  I had two relatives that survived a Northern POW camp.  They were 2 of the 8 survivors out of 225 that arrived in the camp at the same time.

View Quote

Uh, no it didn't.  Unless you want to explain how and why "every crop" and "all food stocks" in the entire state of Georgia were consolidated into a roughly 60 mile wide area running from Atlanta to Savannah, and the other 80% or so of the state's landscape was desert.

Sherman's March was much more of an example of psychological warfare.  His troops could not actually hope to literally destroy the agricultural capabilities of Georgia, let alone the Confederacy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One of my ancestors may have fought some of your ancestors.  

Frances Fidler   Company C, 27th PA

Vulcan94
View Quote

For all the shit I talk on here about the Feds, I'll admit to this one:

Pvt, Co E, 8th Indiana Infantry (Grant's Army of the Tennessee)

Story goes, when VA seceded, he couldn't go with it so he packed some things and rode to Indiana.  When he went to the county courthouse to register his new residence, he was politely informed that with his signature he was being drafted for a 2 year Fed service hitch.  He survived, and was quite active in my current AO.

Western Fed, baby.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#29]
William Smith 15th Virginia Volunteer Infantry. Was an officer not exactly sure of rank when the war ended. We had his saber, but my grandfather's house was burglarized and it was stolen. After the war he started a funeral home that I still work at today.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#30]
John Wilkes Booth.

Yep, he's my Great Grand-Uncle, or something like that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#31]
This is my Great Great Great Grandfather who had four sons who all served. Don't have pictures of them available.

They lived in New Orleans at the time
One served in the Zouaves in Louisiana
One was wounded in Bull Run (shot in head but lived)
One was captured and imprisoned in New York, never returned home after released
One defected to the North and started a family in Indiana

My dad does genealogy and know all the specifics, he told me when I was young that I'm in the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I have an ancestor on my mother's side who was shot by his commanding officer for insubordination.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Great-great Grandfather. K company. 36th regiment. Alabama Infantry.

Never forget.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
John Wilkes Booth.

Yep, he's my Great Grand-Uncle, or something like that.
View Quote

I have a big collection of books about the Booth family, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Which one do you think you are descended from?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Most famous was General Joe Wheeler.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My family doesn't celebrate traitors or failures.

View Quote

Somebody gotta' Jody
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Lt John L Dixon
8th Virginia Cavalry Regiment

There were many more but I found this one listed in a family bible that my Mom had many years ago.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#38]
My GGG James Federick is said to have died at the battle of Iuka Mississippi in Sept 1862. Body not recovered. However, I can't find anything about his rank. He was 48 years old and fairly wealthy, so I would assume he was an officer but can't find anything to confirm. One of my goals when I retire is to track it all down.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Great,*,* Uncle

William Spencer Grigg

He enlisted on February 28, 1863, Company I, 38th Regiment of NC troops, "The Cleveland Marksmen "

Wounded in action at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on July 1, 1863. (right foot blown off) Taken as a prisoner to New York.

July 21, 1863, Died at Davids Island of "pyemia"

His body still lays in enemy territory

Memorial Marker placed at Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Cleveland County, NC

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#41]
My GF claims that her mother traced their genealogy back to Robert E Lee down the maternal line.  All her brothers have Lee as a middle name, she got Lea for a middle name.  No idea if it's true but they believe it.  Ironically most of their family live in the North.

What is really sad is I don't think she really understands who Robert E Lee was.  She just knows he's important.

As for myself, I have no idea.  I'm a Scott, that's about all I know.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Lol
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

MUH KIN!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't want to burst anyone's heritage bubble

The war was between Republicans and democrats and your ancestors were lied to by the democrats

The war was about Southerners trying to repel invaders from a foreign country.  Many of my kin fought and bled, and in some cases made the ultimate sacrifice, defending their homes.  I remember their sacrifice, and I am teaching my children to do the same.

lol

MUH KIN!

I wonder how close his "kin" are
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I have 21 relatives who fought for the south, mostly located in Ga(I'm the first generation born outside the state). A company in Georgia's 48th Regiment was even given my last name as a nickname. At least one relative defended the Sunken Road. Lots of pride here.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#45]

General David Rice Atchison, great ++ uncle or something.

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#46]
My GGG Grandfather's oldest brother was a Captain in the 30th Louisiana Infantry. He was left for dead after the Battle of Ezra Church, when a Mrs. Clay and her sister happened to come across him and his man. This was mentioned in her memoirs and here is an exerpt:

When my sister and I arrived, a few hours afterward, our sympathies, too, were at once enlisted for the unfortunate man. He proved to be Captain Octave Vallette, a Creole, who, previous to his enlistment, with his brother, had been a ship-builder at Algiers, Louisiana.

A physician was already in attendance when my sister and I arrived, and an examination of the invalid's wounds was making. A week had elapsed since the first hasty dressing of the wound, and the blackened flesh now suggested the approach of the dreaded gangrene.

The cleansing of the dreadful wound was a terrible ordeal. For days the patient raved, and to us, just from the camps and hospitals of Virginia, his frenzied words conveyed most vivid pictures of the experiences our men were meeting in the deadly fray.

"God! What a hole for soldiers to be in!" he would cry; and then would mumble on incoherently until, in an accession of fevered strength, he would burst out, "Give them hell, boys!" while his negro man stood by, blinded by tears.
View Quote
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top