Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Coyotes will snatch up little dogs and disappear into the night.  I was at my buddy's one night, and we had the horror of listening to a pack of coyotes kill the neighbor's lab mix.  What a heart wrenching sound.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Just went out and tried to get a few, spent nearly 2 hours walking around. Got within 150yds of a couple but couldnt get them to come in close enough for a good shot. Popped a shot at one as it was leaving and missed. I need thermal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Hawks will snatch cats as well.  In the city where I was working, one late afternoon I stepped outside for a smoke.  I heard the meow meow meow sound of a cat in distress coming from what I thought was a tree in front of my office.  I then see the cat in the claws of a Hawk fling from behind the tree.  The hawk flies to the top of a wood power pole, lands and sticks his beak through the head of the cat ending the meowing.  Then had dinner.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
On our ranch coyotes are common and devious. We have our sheep and goats inside an electric mesh fence and two guardian dogs with them at all times. One tried to get under the fence and got popped real good. Then the guardian dogs tore into him and he retreated under the fence and got popped again. Hasn't tried again since, however, he and 4 others can be seen keeping their eye on the fence hopping a stray will get loose. One goat escaped last week and was gone in a split second. We try shooting them but they are crafty buggers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]
If someone in a somewhat suburban area of a VERY red political area were to procure an air gun (or suppressed .22 with good backstop), install an IR laser, use NODs/thermal and thwack a coyote within their fenceline:

What might be the best way to dispose of said problem?

Asking for a friend who has dogs that may dig up a shallow grave of clay soil in the yard.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An accurate precharged pheumatic air rifle with a good shroud in 25cal @885 fps and nobody hears anything.  You want round nose pellets.  JSB 25 heavys are great if your rifle likes them and regular crossman 25's are harder and penetrate more.  At 40 yards or less it's extremely effective with good head shots day or night
View Quote
@jdr724

Might you have any recommendations on make/model pneumatic?

If it has a bit of rail space that can take an IR laser, that is IDEAL.

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I live in a neighborhood that backs up to a large farm field bordered by a woods.  I see yotes on an infrequent basis but hear them a lot.  So the wife has a couple of small dogs and she lets them out in the fenced yard.  (The fence would be no problem for coyotes to get over)  We have had some pets disappear around here lately.  I know the best thing is to watch them when they are out but sometimes things happen.  So my question is this.  In this situation would the coyote kill immediately or try and grab the dog and run off?  If I heard anything would I have any chance to get a round off from my pistol.  (assuming it was at hand)  Just not sure about this. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Grab and run. Coyotes are quicker than you are.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If someone in a somewhat suburban area of a VERY red political area were to procure an air gun (or suppressed .22 with good backstop), install an IR laser, use NODs/thermal and thwack a coyote within their fenceline:

Asking for a friend who has dogs that may dig up a shallow grave of clay soil in the yard.
View Quote
Large yard waste trash bag and a trip to the landfill works for me. The song dogs in FL are too mangy to bother with skinning.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@jdr724

Asking for a friend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An accurate precharged pheumatic air rifle with a good shroud in 25cal @885 fps and nobody hears anything.  You want round nose pellets.  JSB 25 heavys are great if your rifle likes them and regular crossman 25's are harder and penetrate more.  At 40 yards or less it's extremely effective with good head shots day or night
@jdr724

Asking for a friend.
Hatsan Carnivore is what you seek.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This thread has renewed my interest in killing coyotes. Not a hunter, more like I want to wipe them out because they killed my kitty back in 2012. What's the best way? I've been thinking a bait pile with a motion activated light.
View Quote
Bucket snares. State biologist here says You can't shoot enough of them to make a difference. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just went out and tried to get a few, spent nearly 2 hours walking around. Got within 150yds of a couple but couldnt get them to come in close enough for a good shot. Popped a shot at one as it was leaving and missed. I need thermal.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277473/IMG_2098-337532.JPG
View Quote
I wish they would come within 150 yards.  Most of the time we see them, they're 4-500 yards away and won't come in.

This was my first night kill a few years back at 175 yards.  Stupid thing kept howling at me and I was able to coax him in.  He was with a pack that was digging around in a turkey manure pile 600 yards away.

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get NV or Thermal, take care of those fuckers.
View Quote
This. Nods + suppressor + IR laser + new moon = dead yote.

I was out running in the woods the other night and had a bunch suddenly start calling nearby. This is why I run through the woods armed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I was just out (o-dark-30) with our nearly 4-month old pup letting him do his morning business and there was a pack of yotes a few hundred yards away yippin' and howlin'. I kept the pup close and got him back in as soon as he was done. We are way out in the country and the yotes are around all the time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've taken a few fox and a small pig with my .25.  It does work well.  Too bad the compressor shop near me stopped filling to 4500 psi or I would shoot more. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The yotes send out a single 'scout' that lures / play bows the pet out of the yard (if able) and then draws them into the pack where they get ripped apart and eaten.  Keep any animal you want to keep secured inside.  You will not get a shot off as yotes are an adaptive bunch that have a healthy fear of humans.  

ETA: the packs in the hill country seem to follow behind the Mountain Lion rotation.  Ie we don't see / hear them until a week after the Mountain Lion rolls around and makes kills.  
View Quote
Our American Bulldog killed yotes.  When she died they did exactly that to our new smaller dog.

1:39 in the morning Mr bait yote caught a round of #4 buck in the guts.

They haven't tried again but we still hear the fuckers ....

They play their game we play ours.

Daughter has a pit/boarder collie who hates them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Always carry at night.

Most coyotes around here seem to be morphing into hybrid grey wolf / coyotes - bigger, blacker, meaner.
We've got some neighbors other side of the hill in their early 90's. Old man lets off a slew of slugs before going out with his little mutt.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@jdr724

Asking for a friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jdr724

Asking for a friend.
EdGun Matador.  I made a longer top rail to mount thermal clip on.  Friends use objective mounted ATNpvs22 i believe.  Low magnification and some outdoor lighting is plenty good for 40 yards.

For the budget conscious, Benjamin Marauder with a 5-6" Neil Clague "lead dust collector"
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jdr724

Asking for a friend.
Way too loud IMO
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#19]
We've shot 3 of the fuckers during deer season on pure luck or their stupidity.  12 Ga. slugs leaves big ole holes in them.  All efforts to trap them or go out and actually hunt for them were a total waste of time.  They are sneaky and covert bastards.  One night after a light snow my friends were under white sheets with an electronic call and a "rabbit fur shaky stick thingy on a remote" (aka lure) calling them in.  They could hear a pack of them coming down the hill and splitting up.  Then dead silence for 30 minutes.  All calls and said rabbit fur shaky thing went ignored but my friend had the weird sense that they were being watched.

After they pulled the set they found fresh yote prints in the snow 25 YARDS behind them in their boot tracks left when they walked in.  How can 3 lifetime hunters after hearing them close in on an e-call all of a sudden not hear or see them when they were that close....

We leave gut piles in traps up on the hill where they live and while sometimes there are tracks we never catch anything in them (well, we did catch a red tailed hawk by the leg once) and that SOB tore us up trying to set him free.

Those damn dogs come really close to the house (once saw one eating the leftovers of a tray of lasagna that was dropped where we park our cars).  Were thinking maybe try baiting the traps with some manicotti .  We hate the fuckers and while there really aren't a lot of them like other parts of my state they are there and raiding pheasant and chicken coops.  Other than dumb luck during deer season we cant catch or kill them.  We all have a "kill on sight" order and will waste one before we shoot any deer - but were just not effective at seeing those sneaky bastards.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Coyotes need to be killed indiscriminately
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#22]
May have to get me a few more jake traps or Mb650's now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#23]
We had one that was hopping up over the split rail fence into our chicken run.  He'd hop over and sneak off with a hen or two.  Took a couple of nights before I finally got him.
In this shitty picture you can kinda sorta see it at the top post near the lighted coop.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Fuck Coyotes.

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Is that just the hide? The ones I've killed weighed around 50-60#, can't pick them up one handed. You don't want to touch them anyway because they are swarming with parasites. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Large yard waste trash bag and a trip to the landfill works for me. The song dogs in FL are too mangy to bother with skinning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My friend appreciates the insight!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#28]
A coyote got my grandpa's Chihuahua once. He got some 9/0 hooks and three packs of hotdogs and some trotline string. I went with him in the woods as he hung them about 6 feet off the ground from the trees.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#29]
OP needs a rabbit call and a rifle.
Kill one and hang it around back of property.
Kill as many as you can.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just went coyote hunting for the 1st time this evening and had zero luck. I set up on a terrace with the caller about 75 yards away on a fence line. On my drive out there I passed several coon and possum roadkill, thinking next time I might stop and pick them up for bait.
Question for those with experience, do you do better in the evening or early in the morning?
View Quote
@name-already-exists From my experience the time of day isn't as important as how cold it is outside. I don't even bother to coyote hunt until it starts to get cold out. Secondly it can take many tries at different locations to call in a yote if you even call one in that day. I only call at a spot for 15-20 minutes before moving a half mile down to the next spot. Some basic hunting principles apply: stay downwind of the direction you are calling (and don't wear any smell good bullshit), don't silhouette yourself, don't move, let me reiterate DON'T FUCKING MOVE (yes shits going to go numb sometimes-- it is the price of killing the bastards), don't make a lot of noise driving or walking to your call sight, do not leave you vehicle visible to the area you are calling (yotes are smart and will often not come into a call if the see a vehicle), don't bother throwing bait next to your call box (I've never heard of this working and you should be downwind from where you are calling anyways rendering the bait useless), Use wounded rabbit calls (jackrabbits are louder than cottontail calls on everything I've tried) and don't go to popular coyote hunting areas.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wish they would come within 150 yards.  Most of the time we see them, they're 4-500 yards away and won't come in.

This was my first night kill a few years back at 175 yards.  Stupid thing kept howling at me and I was able to coax him in.  He was with a pack that was digging around in a turkey manure pile 600 yards away.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/836915/fullsize/12-nov-10-003.jpg
View Quote
Shooting with an IR laser at coyotes definitely isn't easy. 150 yards and up is hard for me to get steady on and know where I'm gonna hit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#32]
My wife lost her 2 cats over the course of a year due to coyotes. We live in suburbia, but it's all big wooded lots (1-5 acre lots).
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is that just the hide? The ones I've killed weighed around 50-60#, can't pick them up one handed. You don't want to touch them anyway because they are swarming with parasites. 
View Quote
Yes just the hide. I sent it out to be tanned and have it hanging in the man cave.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Outdoor Pets are simply Coyote food supplies.
View Quote
I have seen a coyote in my front yard with a cat in its mouth.  City & firearm regulations keep me from doing anything.  It's a different story at my forestland though, no coyotes are safe there.

If anyone is looking for coyote hunting tactics then I highly recommend Predator Masters Forums com
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I recently moved out to a more rural area. They got several of our city cats, who were not used to predators. I was heart broken and pissed. I put my AR, PVS14 and IR laser to good use.

The coyotes are very hard to hunt. You really have to practice field craft, pay attention to wind direction, noise etc. And then it takes luck. The stupidest, laziest yote is 100X better hunter than I am at my best.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#36]
The good old prairie wolf.  Once they get a foothold they are likely there to stay especially in suburban areas where eradication methods are limited.  Hell even in areas where you aren't limited they there to stay as well.  Probably one of the better population controls is wolves but I don't think reintroducing wolves will be a popular or feasible solution.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Owls will also carry off small dogs in my area. If the dog is too heavy it will most likely die from the attempted neck lift.
View Quote
Here the Bald Eagles are doing a job on cats and small dogs in yards adjacent to the river. The DEC has a camera on one of their nests and every once in awhile you can see Fluffy completing the circle of life.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you're near the Boise area, I have my spotlighting permit, PVS14, and a suppressed upper with IR laser. I've never been predator hunting but am willing to be an attentive student. My daytime upper's calculated dope also has been tested successfully on steel to 550 yards suppressed.

@50-140
View Quote
@ Azygos:

Thanks for the offer, however I'm at the other end of the state.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The other morning my wife was letting our dogs (yellow lab, Belgian Malinois) out in our fenced back yard and it was still dark out. Next thing I heard was her screaming about a coyote. By the time I got to the back door with my pistol it was already over. She said when she opened the back door, our Belgian immediately went to the back corner where there is a large green electrical box. Next thing she saw was the coyote run from behind with our Belgian aggressively chasing it. She said our Belgian chased it right up the deck and right back down. Yellow lab didn't even stop peeing to join in the fun, shes old though. I still have no clue how it got in our backyard, we have a six foot fence and all of our neighbors have fenced in yards.
View Quote
Still don't want them on my property. But my mal/gsd need some live bait every once in a while.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My neighbor lost a small dog last winter to a coyote. We found it dying.

Small dogs need to be inside at night in coyote areas. Stand with them for nighttime potty breaks.

A coyote once grabbed a neighbors cat off her deck while she was on the deck with the cat.
View Quote
My now 80 pound GSD is on a leash or I am within feet of him on our night time potty outings.

Until he got to about 30 pounds, he was always on a leash since I was worried about owls.

No..."things don't just happen."

Don't let the ankle biters out alone at night.  On a leash..OK.   Standing right by them probably ok.

I also am armed but really  need to take the AR out if I wanted  better protection.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So I live in a neighborhood that backs up to a large farm field bordered by a woods.  I see yotes on an infrequent basis but hear them a lot.  So the wife has a couple of small dogs and she lets them out in the fenced yard.  (The fence would be no problem for coyotes to get over)  We have had some pets disappear around here lately.  I know the best thing is to watch them when they are out but sometimes things happen.  So my question is this.  In this situation would the coyote kill immediately or try and grab the dog and run off?  If I heard anything would I have any chance to get a round off from my pistol.  (assuming it was at hand)  Just not sure about this. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Best time to kill a yote is when you see a yote
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Shooting with an IR laser at coyotes definitely isn't easy. 150 yards and up is hard for me to get steady on and know where I'm gonna hit.
View Quote
I bet a pvs30 would make it much easier...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Coyotes are all over the Shenandoah valley

Street Cats are always disappearing in my area ( see them for a few week's/months & poof there gone ) And the craigslist pet section every few days will have a ad saying lost dog or cat ( from lab's to boston terriers to kitty etc..) .

If my little shit's (shihtzu's)  wanna go out at 1am-4am I gotta be out there with them and even my black cat knows that curfew starts when I yell out to him ( hey asshole / or martycone come here ) .

My co-workers towards luray and Strasburg see them a lot on there trail cam's
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This thread has renewed my interest in killing coyotes. Not a hunter, more like I want to wipe them out because they killed my kitty back in 2012. What's the best way? I've been thinking a bait pile with a motion activated light.
View Quote
I think you know what you have to do. Sorry for your scrat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Country?

I’m in the suburbs 5 miles from a city of 150,000. They come thru here all the damn time. Northeastern yotes seem large to me compared to the western shitdogs I see in pics.
View Quote
They are. NE yotes have a good amount of wolf dna in them. They interbred when the yotes re entered the N E through Canada after prevously being exterminated.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Coyotes are all over the Shenandoah valley

Street Cats are always disappearing in my area ( see them for a few week's/months & poof there gone ) And the craigslist pet section every few days will have a ad saying lost dog or cat ( from lab's to boston terriers to kitty etc..) .

If my little shit's (shihtzu's)  wanna go out at 1am-4am I gotta be out there with them and even my black cat knows that curfew starts when I yell out to him ( hey asshole / or martycone come here ) .

My co-workers towards luray and Strasburg see them a lot on there trail cam's
View Quote
I hear there have been mountain lion sightings there as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I worry about this alot where I live. The packs seemed to go away over the summer but I've been hearing them since the beginning of the month. I have a small area of the yard fenced in for my beagles, they would have to dig under the fence to get to them. My dogs seem to howl at every animal including sandhill cranes so I'm hoping they will make enough racket for me to get out in time. Fucking hate coyotes
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I bet a pvs30 would make it much easier...
View Quote

Send me yours and I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Send me yours and I'll let you know.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Country?

I’m in the suburbs 5 miles from a city of 150,000. They come thru here all the damn time. Northeastern yotes seem large to me compared to the western shitdogs I see in pics.
View Quote
I live in a suburb of 60K or so, and am about a mile from more "rural" areas, and whenever I'm in the driveway at 4 AM getting my smoker fired up I hear a big pack of them.  Would not surprise me one bit if they ventured into my neighborhood, though my security cams have yet to catch one in their field of view.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top