Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmmm.  Is this accurate?  I always thought that we simply didn't have the receptors.  Never considered that the lens was filtering out the UV.
I'm eventually gonna need new lenses - minor cataracts around the edges - and I'll remember to ask about this on my next visit to the eye-doc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People who have had their natural lenses replaced with artificial ones can see up into ultraviolet - frequencies of light that natural lenses are opaque to, but that the retina can detect.
Hmmmm.  Is this accurate?  I always thought that we simply didn't have the receptors.  Never considered that the lens was filtering out the UV.
I'm eventually gonna need new lenses - minor cataracts around the edges - and I'll remember to ask about this on my next visit to the eye-doc.
It makes you wonder what the colors look like, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#2]
it's also been my understanding that replacement lenses filter UV, plus a certain degree of blue-blocking
so, yeah, it does make me wonder about the perception of colors
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The first year of the calendar was the year one. There is no such thing as a year zero, because zero is not a number. It's merely a placeholder that means nought. You can, for example, call a hard drive "drive zero", but that isn't counting it, that's assigning a symbol to represent it. If all you have in your desktop is "drive zero", you obviously have one drive, not zero, or no, drives.
When you are counting pennies, you don't put the first penny down and say, "zero", and then the second penny and say, "one!", right? You finish the first dollar with penny #100, and start the second dollar with penny #101.
Ok, so a decade is ten years. So the first decade of the second millenium A.D. began 1 January 1001, and ended 31 December 1010. With me so far? Good.
So, moving ahead 970 years, the 97th decade ends on 31 December 1970, and began on 1 January 1961. Therefore, anyone born in 1970 is part of the decade of the 60's. Likewise, the 20th century ended 31 December 2000, and the 21st began 1 January 2001.
Science and math. It be like it do.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had a patient the other night that was 105 years old, its absolutely fascinating to imagine this person had lived though the Great Depression, World War I, World War II, Korea, and disco music...all in the same life.
View Quote
The craziest thing ever would be to have been born in, say, 1890 and to live to 1970. Man would go from horse mobile, to car mobile, to plane mobile, to jet mobile, to space ships, to landing on the moon, all in one life. Crazy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The craziest thing ever would be to have been born in, say, 1890 and to live to 1970. Man would go from horse mobile, to car mobile, to plane mobile, to jet mobile, to space ships, to landing on the moon, all in one life. Crazy.
View Quote
Both of my Grandmothers were born in the late 1800's.  One died in 1991, the other in 2002.

That roughly 100 year lifespan I think has seen the most change.  When they were kids they could never have imagined
the technology of the late 1900's.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Due to law of infinite probability, if you let clothes tumble in a dryer long enough, eventually they will all be folded at the exact same time.

I saw a meme of that one somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The first year of the calendar was the year one. There is no such thing as a year zero, because zero is not a number. It's merely a placeholder that means nought. You can, for example, call a hard drive "drive zero", but that isn't counting it, that's assigning a symbol to represent it. If all you have in your desktop is "drive zero", you obviously have one drive, not zero, or no, drives.
When you are counting pennies, you don't put the first penny down and say, "zero", and then the second penny and say, "one!", right? You finish the first dollar with penny #100, and start the second dollar with penny #101.
Ok, so a decade is ten years. So the first decade of the second millenium A.D. began 1 January 1001, and ended 31 December 1010. With me so far? Good.
So, moving ahead 970 years, the 97th decade ends on 31 December 1970, and began on 1 January 1961. Therefore, anyone born in 1970 is part of the decade of the 60's. Likewise, the 20th century ended 31 December 2000, and the 21st began 1 January 2001.
View Quote
Your reasoning is retarted and you should feel bad...
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found another one!
Hint: It's not reasoning, in a philosophical sense. It's how counting works. You should feel ashamed.
Also, does "retarted" have anything to do with edible acids, like SweetTarts? I'm unfamiliar with the word.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#9]
What's the minimum amount of cents you can have in order to have one full dime and any part of a second dime?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Is 9 and 364/365 cents a full dime? Or, is 9 years, 364 days a full decade? Is 364 days a full year?

Why did we call it the "twentieth" century when all but one of the years started with "nineteen"?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a patient the other night that was 105 years old, its absolutely fascinating to imagine this person had lived though the Great Depression, World War I, World War II, Korea, and disco music...all in the same life.
My great grandfather did that, 1876-1980.  It's always blown my mind a bit the changes he had seen in his lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#12]
All women are naked under their clothes. Think about it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#13]
You dont fuck the cuck. You fuck next to the cuck. You suck the muck, while he goes yuck. Don't chuck, or the luck will buck and you'll tuck your cock. But always remember, you never fuck Zuck the cuck.

Because Zuck the Cuck, is the one cuck that fucks us all.

Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Collard greens, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, and more all started off as this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Brassica_oleracea0.jpg/1200px-Brassica_oleracea0.jpg
Brassica oleracea

Amazing what a few millennia of selective breeding can deliver.
View Quote
A marvelous plant.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You dont fuck the cuck. You fuck next to the cuck. You suck the muck, while he goes yuck. Don't chuck, or the luck will buck and you'll tuck your cock. But always remember, you never fuck Zuck the cuck.

View Quote
Dr. Seuss? Is that you?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Due to law of infinite probability, if you let clothes tumble in a dryer long enough, eventually they will all be folded at the exact same time.

I saw a meme of that one somewhere.
View Quote
Only if you believe every probability is equally weighted, and the timelines are short enough as to be realistically possible.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
A lyrical assassin.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is 9 and 364/365 cents a full dime? Or, is 9 years, 364 days a full decade? Is 364 days a full year?

Why did we call it the "twentieth" century when all but one of the years started with "nineteen"?
View Quote
not to a banker  

Xth century starts with the year 100X  -99 (100 times the century number, minus 99) and ends in 100X

the final year of a century is the only year in a century where the year designated starts with that century's number

the first century started 01 Jan in the year 1, with its last day as 31 Dec in the year 100
the second century started 01 Jan in the year 101, with its last day 31 Dec, 200
etc.

there was no year 0 (zero), and we didn't even start counting AD/CE years until 525 AD and then it wasn't in common use until around the year 800 AD... and is based on the years following the conception of Jesus (as best as they could figure it)

technically, BC/CE is the system of organizing days ( or calendar)  of an era - there are other calendars
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:27:44 AM EDT
[#19]
If you could travel to a different star in the sky, what would the constellations you see look like?

If a bullet were fired parallel to the flight of a SR-71, could the pilot see the the round out of his cockpit if it were going in the same direction?

If nobody ever died, there would be approximately 30B people on earth.

We'd occupy 3% of the inhabitable land mass if we stood shoulder to shoulder.  Overpopulation isn't a thing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit this thread is fucking awesome!  I have nothing really constructive to add, but I do agree with others on the "first time" we as humans tried something.

Like tea for instance.  That first guy.  Did he just sit in the sun and say, "you know, I'm going to grab those leaves, crush them up, and drop them in my water."

Oh, and what if C-A-T, really spells DOG?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have thought about this in depth. I have zero answer for where bread came from. Still a mystery. If you don't get
the proportions of ingredients just right, you're fucked.

More frightening is bovine. All the way back to the earliest recorded human history, cows were cultivated, but I have
never seen any evidence of wild cows in ancient texts. I'm talking about herds of Holsteins wandering the country side ... yet steak is the most divine of foods. Blows my mind.
View Quote

You have a lot to learn. 

Bread is one of the easiest things to make. It was likely found entirely by accident. Flour, water, salt. That's all you need for bread. Yeast just floats in the goddamn air. 

You'd never see wild herds of Holstein because they are a man-made species, just like the Goldendoodle. Domesticated animals don't exist in the wild, and the reason they have that name. 
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you could travel to a different star in the sky, what would the constellations you see look like?

If a bullet were fired parallel to the flight of a SR-71, could the pilot see the the round out of his cockpit if it were going in the same direction?

If nobody ever died, there would be approximately 30B people on earth.

We'd occupy 3% of the inhabitable land mass if we stood shoulder to shoulder.  Overpopulation isn't a thing.
View Quote
So you're telling me that about 1/4 of all the people that have ever lived are currently alive??

Link Posted: 12/13/2017 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Mysterious Ringing "Moon-Rocks" Found In America

I think shit like this could be real, and they are proof of time travel if they are real.
"Alien Data" Found On 250 Million Year Old Micro-Chip?

1.8 Million Year Old "Nuclear Reactor" Found In Africa?

200,000 Year Old "Tile Floor" Found In Oklahoma?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wat?

I would venture to guess that "where are you" has been a fairly common question since the invention of the radio and telephone.
View Quote
Not to mention God in the garden of Eden.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not to mention God in the garden of Eden.
View Quote
deep man. deep

watch this while observing all of the rooms that have been half exposed due to what looks like water erosion or a blast impact capable of pulverizing and ejecting stone to the scale required to explain the missing volume of material, which is billions of tons.. I think these old ruins represent Sodom and the other cities destroyed by god in the bible. the Hebrews made up stories to explain shit according to their own self interests just like we do today.

If it was a blast, and humans did the bombing, say 50,000 or 175,000 BCE, it might explain signs of rebar construction, and what seem to be  channels for cable conduits, found in vast complexes of desolated stone hollowed out by unknown unexplained forces/

The Astonishing "Mada'in Saleh" Rock-Cut Tombs

your god could only spend three days entombed, Mine can stick around 40,000,000 years and it ain't no thang..
Living Toads Found Entombed In Stone?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My wife and I were on campus at the same college at the same time 14 years before we met and started dating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sometimes I think about people I know now and wonder if I was ever randomly around them before knowing them.

For example, one day my wife and I were talking about our visits to Disney World when we were kids. I was 8 and she was 6. We figured out that we were there about a week apart and stayed in the same hotel. We were from different states and met in our mid 20's.

And we lived in the same city for a couple years before meeting. Went to a lot of the same places. Were we beside each other in traffic? Barely missing each other in the grocery aisle?

That kind of stuff is crazy to think about. Maybe that other driver you yelled at this morning will be your wife, or boss, or friend one day.
My wife and I were on campus at the same college at the same time 14 years before we met and started dating.
I recently found out my boss and I are related. He's my first cousin once removed. He even remembers seeing me when I was little.
It came about when my aunt mentioned a death on her mom's side of the family, which I am largely unfamiliar with. It was my boss' sister.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
My wife and I were in a crowd of people at a college campus, and exchanged a total of 6 words together as random strangers. No names were exchanged, just some question about an event going on. She was from a different state, and that was her last day there before going 1400 miles back home.

7 years later, we met at a college campus all the way across the country where we were attending different grad schools. That was 2200 miles away from my home and almost 1000 away from her home. We've been married nearly 18 years now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cambridge University is older than the U.S. is now when Columbus set sail for the Indies.
View Quote
This statement makes absolutely no sense.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cambridge University is older than the U.S. is now when Columbus set sail for the Indies.
Awkwardly cast sentence with a word left out.
Try "...than the US is from when Columbus set sail to now ..."
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Beat me to it
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Beat me to it
Quoted:

Beat me to it
My Daughter, a Licensed Massage Therapist disagrees. She can explain it, not me
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#31]
At some point, someone will think about you/remember you for the last time.

- I don't know why but thinking about that feels freeing to me.

Also - a 61 year old person has been around for over 25% of the United States existence.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I am in my 40s and got to speak to people born in the 1800s and I knew a WWI vet (old childhood neighbor).

The Gulf war timeline thing is a trip. I was sitting in my truck with my girlfriend listening to the opening shots of that war on the radio, wondering if they were going to reinstate the draft. Not sure what makes me feel older, that or HS grads not being old enough to have any memories of 9-11-01.
View Quote
I work with guys (AD.mil) who don’t remember anything from 9/11.

It’s kind of trippy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As far as the telephone is concerned the numbers used to tie to a physical address.  You didn't take your number with you, even if you moved in the same town.  So really,  when you called someone you knew where they were because they answered at the number you dialed.

But radio is a little different
View Quote
He didn’t specify the caller had to be the one asking the question.  You may have known where the person was that you were calling, but the person you called would have no way of being certain where you were calling from.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

More frightening is bovine. All the way back to the earliest recorded human history, cows were cultivated, but I have
never seen any evidence of wild cows in ancient texts. I'm talking about herds of Holsteins wandering the country side ... yet steak is the most divine of foods. Blows my mind.
View Quote
The ancestor of modern cattle is the Aurochs; they went extinct in the 1600s I think, in Poland... they are well attested to in history.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#35]
A thought that bums me out: 

I wish I could have in a collection, every single photograph of me that was taken by a 3rd party. 

We take photos to commemorate a time or memory, special event, etc. So people snap these in public and capture others in them inevitably. All the random people in the background of your photos all have their own stories. 

Makes me wonder how many other people's photo albums contain pics of me just minding my own business. 

I would like to see those, but know that I never ever will. 
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A thought that bums me out:

I wish I could have in a collection, every single photograph of me that was taken by a 3rd party.

We take photos to commemorate a time or memory, special event, etc. So people snap these in public and capture others in them inevitably. All the random people in the background of your photos all have their own stories.

Makes me wonder how many other people's photo albums contain pics of me just minding my own business.

I would like to see those, but know that I never ever will.
View Quote
Wow, that's a pretty cool/unique thought. People born after 2010 will be in many more pictures than anyone before that time.

Cellphones capture everything.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wow, that's a pretty cool/unique thought. People born after 2010 will be in many more pictures than anyone before that time.

Cellphones capture everything.
View Quote
While they'll exist in the cloud, it won't be forever.
The amount of data staggers the mind.
What was in shoe boxes in the closet, now lives on SSDs, cds, dvds, and flash drives.
Will it be accessible in 30 years, like the shoe box?
Not likely, but what replaces it will be amazing or scary as hell.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Gerbils.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You have a lot to learn. 

Bread is one of the easiest things to make. It was likely found entirely by accident. Flour, water, salt. That's all you need for bread. Yeast just floats in the goddamn air. 

You'd never see wild herds of Holstein because they are a man-made species, just like the Goldendoodle. Domesticated animals don't exist in the wild, and the reason they have that name. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have thought about this in depth. I have zero answer for where bread came from. Still a mystery. If you don't get
the proportions of ingredients just right, you're fucked.

You have a lot to learn. 

There exists on youtube a documentary about the Russian fox experiment that was domesticated.

It was actually an experiment essentially in evolution but due to the rammifications of communism in Russia doing things against the state religion is a BAD idea.   So it was pawned off as an experiment to domesticate the fox.

What ended up was that they discovered certain features that were inherently "fox" qualities disappeared as the fox was selectively bread for domesticated features.   The domesticated gene caused them to have floppy ears and they would wag their tales.   They essentially became more dog like.

The expriment has gone on for something like 50 years and was largely done in secret.

Versus the foxes that were not bread for domestication.

They also browsed the issue of the cow and how it compares to say a Yak or close relative.

The point they left off with is if there are obvious physical changes in a species as it is domesticated away from it's wild ancestry...

What about the case of humans?   We are essentially selectively breeding with modified trait requirements versus anything we may have had in past generations.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
My grandmother was born in the late 1890's and died in the late 1980's.  I asked her that very question and she said it was every bit as crazy as you think.  She went from oil lamps, outhouses, water pumps and horses to television, space travel and atomic bombs.

Never in history has the rate of technological change been more rapid and profound than in that time frame.   Before then changes were slow and incremental.  Now we don't really notice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My grandmother was born in the late 1890's and died in the late 1980's.  I asked her that very question and she said it was every bit as crazy as you think.  She went from oil lamps, outhouses, water pumps and horses to television, space travel and atomic bombs.

Never in history has the rate of technological change been more rapid and profound than in that time frame.   Before then changes were slow and incremental.  Now we don't really notice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding! My grandmother lived to 102. She actually rode a stagecoach to school! The change she experienced in her lifetime is shocking when you think about it.
I can't imagine our lives having as much change.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dude, give it a fucking rest with your conspiracy crap.
View Quote
That tree bullshit is a pretty good indicator that someone’s poor education has left them a slave to fantasy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The water we have on the planet now has always been here and no new added.   The water you drink in your glass might have previously been drank by a dinosaur and a whole bunch of other people.
View Quote
Nope, I create a gallon of water for every gallon of gasoline I burn.  As do we all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Everyone could see different colors.  I could look at something and see this:

while you look at the same thing and see this:

But since we've both been taught that the color we see is "blue" we'd never know.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nope, I create a gallon of water for every gallon of gasoline I burn.  As do we all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The water we have on the planet now has always been here and no new added.   The water you drink in your glass might have previously been drank by a dinosaur and a whole bunch of other people.
It’s not a 1:1 ratio, but your on the right track.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I believe that's covered under latex on a air pollution report.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just in the US alone...how many millions of cars are there on the road?

And all 4 of each car'@ tires wear down?

Where does all that rubber go?

Where does all the brake dust go?

But we have enviro whackos bitching about lead.

Not a single tree hugger complaining about rubber or brake dust.

I believe that's covered under latex on a air pollution report.
Brake dust gets counted in water quality/runoff assessments for businesses and industrial parks.
In particular the high copper levels.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That makes sense if the volume of your body decreases by an equal amount as the pee which is expelled. I don't know if that is the case, though.
View Quote
Archemedies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why isn't there a levee of abraded tire dust next to roadways?  Where does all that used tire material go to? Why isn't the dirt black next to the roadway?
View Quote
Rain and wind.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Everyone could see different colors.  I could look at something and see this:

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/Z/W/N/F/6/p/light-blue-square-md.png

while you look at the same thing and see this:

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/b/2/q/x/Z/N/yellow-square-md.png

But since we've both been taught that the color we see is "blue" we'd never know.
View Quote
Except when I ask you to hand me the blue cup and you don’t see a blue cup.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top