Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You seriously think there's anything wrong with drinking a cup or two of black coffee?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never done a keto diet, but here's how I look at things...

Both diet and regular soda over the long run is bad for you. I mostly drink water and coffee. I keep myself in good enough shape where if I want a Coke every once in a while, I'm gonna go ahead and enjoy a real one.

You seriously think there's anything wrong with drinking a cup or two of black coffee?

Nope. I was joking. Relax.

You also didn't say black coffee.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
diet drinks make you eat more because your body is expecting calories  
View Quote

Studies have shown that some people, when drinking diet drink, their bodies prep for the surge of glucose, therefore the body will secret insulin in preparation, then when no sugar is there, you eat more to bring blood sugar up.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Diet soda? Not healthy. In my opinion it's at least as bad as regular soda.

Studies are beginning to come out that indicate drinking diet soda causes changes to gut flora which can make it hard to lose weight or keep it off. Which could explain why I've known several people with weight problems over the years who drink only diet soda and never seem to benefit from it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Until about a year ago it did.  It now tastes even worse than before!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have read studies where Aspartame slows your metabolism.

Diet Pepsi doesn't have Aspartame.

Until about a year ago it did.  It now tastes even worse than before!

My son drinks it. Diet Pepsi has always been bad, but I tried one a couple days ago and it wasn't terrible.

My usual drinks are Diet Coke and Diet Rite, but I may now periodically grab one of his Diet Pepsis out of the fridge. (I bought em' anyhow.)
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both diet and regular soda over the long run is bad for you. I mostly drink water and coffee. I keep myself in good enough shape where if I want a Coke every once in a while, I'm gonna go ahead and enjoy a real one.

Now my GF on the other hand thinks coffee = grande caramel macchiato
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like my coffee like I like my women.

Ground up and in the freezer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This is relevant to my interests.  I drink Diet Coke daily.
View Quote
that shit is poison, and WILL kill you.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I gave that shit up 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black coffee that sounds wrong, pour some cream in it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mmm..almond milk!
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woop woop!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok so I spent a few hours at the local Winn Dixie reading labels. I realized two things:
1. Diet soda has more chemicals than I am willing to ingest.
2. I am not a chemist and you need to be to understand the ingredients.

I posted this question on another site and got an interesting response. There is this all natural soda made with Erythritol (a name Keto people should recognize since it is in most stevia products and is a very popular natural sweetener found in berries) it has no chemicals or other junk in it either. It's expensive though. It's called Zevia zero calorie soda. I bought some and I have to admit, it's better than other diet sodas I have had.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am on the Keto diet and not drinking soda is killing me. I can have diet sodas but what is the current consensus on them? Ok to drink? Gonna give me super cancer?
View Quote

The fact that not eating  anything is killing you is a fatal confession.  You are not committed. Your heart is not in it.  You are doomed. You may as well go to burger king and eat $20/day worth of crap for the next month and at least enjoy yourself.

Diet Soda comes from the Darks Arts of chemical engineering.   Stay away from that shit.  Hate it, and believe you hate it.  Never, ever.

Only eat real food, food that was made 150 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Studies are beginning to come out that indicate drinking diet soda causes changes to gut flora which can make it hard to lose weight or keep it off. Which could explain why I've known several people with weight problems over the years who drink only diet soda and never seem to benefit from it.
View Quote

This has merit.  If you're drinking one a week, probably no problem.  One a day is when you need to start watching for symptoms.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Soda is nasty. Man up and quit that shit
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The fact that not eating  anything is killing you is a fatal confession.  You are not committed. Your heart is not in it.  You are doomed. You may as well go to burger king and eat $20/day worth of crap for the next month and at least enjoy yourself.

Diet Soda comes from the Darks Arts of chemical engineering.   Stay away from that shit.  Hate it, and believe you hate it.  Never, ever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am on the Keto diet and not drinking soda is killing me. I can have diet sodas but what is the current consensus on them? Ok to drink? Gonna give me super cancer?

Vernor's ginger ale gtg then?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically this is correct.

Here's the thing:  STOP DRINKING IT for awhile.  after 6 weeks, drink one and see how you feel.  I BET YOU HATE IT!!!!!

The craving goes away once you cut off the addiction.  Because of daily exposure, your body has short circuited the defense mechanisms.  Like the fact that things that are bad for you smell, taste and feel very bad.

When you were 12, if someone gave you a shot of vodka you would've gagged.  Yet a few years later you are discussing the tasty qualities of polish potato vodka vs russian grain vodka.  That 12 year old is trying to tell you something that you've forgotten.

Same with Diet Coke.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't know. I only drink club soda with lime juice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Diet Pepsi now uses sucralose (Splenda) instead of aspartame if that makes any difference
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You fuckers need to find something that matters to worry about JFC
View Quote

Living a healthy life isn't important?

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do titties count?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything artificial can't be all that healthy.

Do titties count?

You are much more likely to get black eyes with bolt on's.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Fatties often seem to blame diet soda for their obesity.

LOL.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Here is a very eye opening statistic for you OP on the mortality rate of diet soda drinkers.

100% of them die
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Aspartame is evil

I stopped reg Diet Dr Pepper and moved to Diet Coke with Splenda and for 5 weeks I felt horrible. Massive joint pain and random migraines.

still on caffeine, but no aspartame, one step at a time. I feel a lot better now that the withdrawal is over. My knees don't feel 150 years old anymore.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#26]
As a type 1 diabetic i've almost completely cut out diet sodas. I use lightly flavored seltzer/soda water and add in a splash of natural juice with no extra sugar added in. For caffeine it's just plain coffee or tea.

Within about two weeks of really laying off the diet cokes and diet mountain dews I felt amazingly better. I typically keep my diet soda intake to about 1-2 12oz cans a week now. I save money and feel better. win/win.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, I came here to post that.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/860431#vp_1

Stop ingesting weird chemicals just because companies tell you it's food.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Very bad; tea, coffee, water ok.

Breaking soda is hell but worth it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#29]
There is probably a good keto-friendly, extra-fatty snack you can eat to kick the cravings.  Maybe a couple spoonfuls of natural peanut butter?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Switch to Iced Tea and never look back

Or, try this.  

Nothing but natural fruit juice and Seltzer water.  

No sweetener natural or otherwise.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"Expert agencies in the United States and elsewhere that have evaluated aspartame have found it safe for use."

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
View Quote

Safe for use as in not causing cancer doesn't necessarily mean healthy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Like most diet threads we get lots of anecdotal evidence followed by ignorant saying its a "chemical" and all chemicals are bad for you! ( newsflash everything is a chemical or element). What is strangely always missing is empirical evidence or peer reviewed studies that show that diet/aspertane is bad for you. Asking GD advice for anything that uses sciences is like asking a 2 year old how to build a rocket.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't do keto but I avoid sugar unless I'm exercising. Stick to coffee and a little green tea, and occasionally one of these after a bike ride. It's delicious and there are GRAMS of ginger in it which has numerous health benefits including hepatoprotection (assuming the cane sugar is going straight to replacing glycogen). But for keto and soda, I think half of it is wanting something cold and carbonated so just flavored sparkling water.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You fuckers need to find something that matters to worry about JFC
View Quote

...and another thread to read perhaps?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Based on the responses you will be fine if you quit drinking it, but only drink diet coke or regular coke or water or diet tea, or don't drink it all all, unless in moderation.  You may die of cancer sooner or get beetus if you drink the diet or regular or tea, so drink a combination of none and all.  

Does this sum up the consensus?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Diet is a habit.  Gain some discipline, eat healthy, feel better, look better.  One can every few days is fine.  

Or keep eating junk and be stunned when you get the beetus and we fucking pay for your surgeries.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Diet is a habit.  Gain some discipline, eat healthy, feel better, look better.  One can every few days is fine.  

Or keep eating junk and be stunned when you get the beetus and we fucking pay for your surgeries.
View Quote

Let me guess you are a calorie in calorie out guy?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Like most diet threads we get lots of anecdotal evidence followed by ignorant saying its a "chemical" and all chemicals are bad for you! ( newsflash everything is a chemical or element). What is strangely always missing is empirical evidence or peer reviewed studies that show that diet/aspertane is bad for you. Asking GD advice for anything that uses sciences is like asking a 2 year old how to build a rocket.
View Quote

Like all the evidence you posted about your ignorant claims?

You probably weight what 300#s?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

....classy...I use simple logic and get called fat.... sounds about par for the course.

I was not making any claims for or against diet sodas or aspartame therefor why would I need evidence to back up my non existent claim? I was merely commenting that when it comes to diet drinks many on GD uses the same type of arguments as with topics such as GMO's.

That is...."I am going to comment and put my opinion on here as fact because of the evidence that I heard second hand from my wifes cousin who does something or another for the industry (anecdotal evidence!), I then read the label and saw all those long worded chemicals and just knew in my

heart that it is bad for you, oh and my dottera sales friend told me that anything that isn't natural is bad,  oh and by the way science is for nerds!"

Anyway here is a simple video about how aspartame is not the voodoo poison that people here are making it out to be https://youtu.be/92r1oOul0kM, oh and it has a whole bunch of peer reviewed sources in the description, fancy that
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

....classy...I use simple logic and get called fat.... sounds about par for the course.

I was not making any claims for or against diet sodas or aspartame therefor why would I need evidence to back up my non existent claim? I was merely commenting that when it comes to diet drinks many on GD uses the same type of arguments as with topics such as GMO's.

That is...."I am going to comment and put my opinion on here as fact because of the evidence that I heard second hand from my wifes cousin who does something or another for the industry (anecdotal evidence!), I then read the label and saw all those long worded chemicals and just knew in my

heart that it is bad for you, oh and my dottera sales friend told me that anything that isn't natural is bad,  oh and by the way science is for nerds!"

Anyway here is a simple video about how aspartame is not the voodoo poison that people here are making it out to be https://youtu.be/92r1oOul0kM, oh and it has a whole bunch of peer reviewed sources in the description, fancy that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are fat?

One of the studies he even list identifies a link between artificial sweetneers and weight gain. Good job, derp.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Of course drinking anything but water is bad.

This aint no liberal site boy!

You wont find justification for your

actions here!

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Best diet soda is water. Sugary/sweet tasting things light up the same centers of the brain as cocaine. Congrats, your an addict.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Do titties count?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything artificial can't be all that healthy.

Do titties count?

Artificial titties on a female or artificial titties on trannies?  Probably be able to get the the definitive answer to this question from Charlie Sheen.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#44]
1 diet soda a day for me.

i gave up regular pop about 3 years ago.  ive dropped about 10lbs.  too much sugar...
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Guys it says Diet there for it has to be better for you than just water.

I mean after all Diet has to mean you can order 5 woppers and 3 large fries but that Large Diet soda evens it all out and makes you skinny, Right?

EDIT: Just to add eatting like a slob then ordering a diet does not fool anyone into thinking your trying to "Watch your weight"

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have read studies where Aspartame slows your metabolism.
View Quote

I have experienced this. I limit myself to one zero diet monster every few days. Other wise water and unsweetened tea.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Like with anything - moderation.

View Quote

Best advice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Diet Drinks have a negative effect on your system by tricking your body. it will screw up your metabolism and pancreas. I have talked to a couple of Internal Med Doc's at the hospital who have sworn by the negative effects for 20 years.

they both say you are better off drinking regular sugar drink's in smaller quantities.  I swore off daily Dr. Pepper's 10 years ago. I might have a cane sugar Dr Pepper once every two-3 weeks. I do not drink corn syrup sweetened Dr Pepper.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Diet Drinks have a negative effect on your system by tricking your body. it will screw up your metabolism and pancreas
View All Quotes
Diet Drinks have a negative effect on your system by tricking your body. it will screw up your metabolism and pancreas

There is no evidence that diet soda inhibits fat loss, or that it even spikes insulin levels to levels that would be detrimental to health.

Current research that attempts to link diet soda with health issues did not have equal caloric consumption.

Some light reading :

http://examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you/
Sweet-taste receptors, low-energy sweeteners, glucose absorption and insulin release
Aspartame ingestion with and w/o carbohydrate in phenylketonuric and normal subjects: effect on plasma concentrations of amino acids, glucose, and insulin
Effects of carbohydrate sugars and artificial sweeteners on appetite and the secretion of gastrointestinal satiety peptides
Effects of stevia, aspartame, and sucrose on food intake, satiety, and postprandial glucose and insulin levels
Effect of the artificial sweetener, sucralose, on gastric emptying and incretin hormone release in healthy subjects.
Effects of oral ingestion of sucralose on gut hormone response and appetite in healthy normal-weight subjects.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ok so I spent a few hours at the local Winn Dixie reading labels. I realized two things:
1. Diet soda has more chemicals than I am willing to ingest.
2. I am not a chemist and you need to be to understand the ingredients.

I posted this question on another site and got an interesting response. There is this all natural soda made with Erythritol (a name Keto people should recognize since it is in most stevia products and is a very popular natural sweetener found in berries) it has no chemicals or other junk in it either. It's expensive though. It's called Zevia zero calorie soda. I bought some and I have to admit, it's better than other diet sodas I have had.
View Quote

I've tried the ginger ale and black cherry diet soda from Zevia.  I like both, but they are too expensive for me to drink every day.  

I generally prefer iced tea, and it is pretty economical if you buy the big tea bags that make a gallon at a time.  I use Truvia as a sweetener in my coffee and tea. It does not seem to have any negative effects on me being in ketosis.  I am one pound shy of loosing 50 pounds in the last 6.5 months.

Funny, I drank diet coke for about 30 years, usually two 12 oz cans a day.  If I have one now it tastes weird.  I have a friend who when he tasted diet coke for the first time (he was a regular coke drinker) he said it tasted like rusty nails, and I now understand what he was talking about.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top