Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
For a segment of aviation perhaps. For a chartered flight were the plane sits waiting the return-very likely good to go. But if it needs to be back flying with another load of passengers ever 30 minutes-maybe less so
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Battery tech is improving and will continue to improve
In the last 5 years Tesla has added about 50% increase in range and reduced charging time by about 35%
View Quote
Have you checked what a Tesla weighs? Current predictions don't understand battery technology and density. This is the same thing affecting solar panels.  Moore's law doesn't apply, physics is a bitch and improvements are hard or difficult. I haven't seen anything that can/will be adopted in the near term that will double the density. Maybe, maybe 15 years someone will get the exotics working.  Until the density problem for batteries is solved you won't see total adoption of electric vehicles. Short range or second commuter vehicles sure. An F250 all electric towing 15K nope.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Shh, we don't talk about that.  Electricity comes from the wall, just like food comes from the grocery store.

These cherry picked cannonball runs mean nothing, electric cars are not practical for long distance driving.  If I can do some cherry picking of my own, look at New York to Seattle.  42hrs in a normal car.

Standard range Model X takes 69hrs and a 250 mile detour to find superchargers.  This trip might not even be possible in winter.  Assuming 10hrs/day driving, you're slightly faster than a bicycle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is the massive amount of extra electricity going to come from? We already have problems supplying enough power to areas with higher populations when it gets hot.  Charge over night when the grid is less stressed?  Don't you think it would be stressed if a shit ton of people plug in their cars before heading to bed?
Shh, we don't talk about that.  Electricity comes from the wall, just like food comes from the grocery store.

These cherry picked cannonball runs mean nothing, electric cars are not practical for long distance driving.  If I can do some cherry picking of my own, look at New York to Seattle.  42hrs in a normal car.

Standard range Model X takes 69hrs and a 250 mile detour to find superchargers.  This trip might not even be possible in winter.  Assuming 10hrs/day driving, you're slightly faster than a bicycle.
This is the other problem besides battery density. Not everyone lives in a house and even if they do can they afford a multiple thousand dollar 220v DC charger and re-wire? What apartment complex, business or company is going to bear the cost to install in parking garages and other locations "for free" it's going to costly and be spendy. To say nothing of transformer and grid upgrades for those chargers.

Nuclear is the only answer, but we lost our manufacturing knowledge and due to the NIMBY and regulatory costs we probably won't see a new one until if/when natural gas goes high. In short, feel good you libs, your electric is really running on coal, fuel or natural gas.  Solar doesn't provide at nighttime/winter/cloudy and needs a $hit ton of batteries to make it reliable. Even when you get it in a sunny climate the heat (like here in AZ) sucks some of the efficiency. Wind is not reliable.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Japan is betting on Hydrogen to hedge that, but they will not give up IC engines as nothing comes close to the being able to supply the amount of energy needed to keep major economies ticking along and moving. I agree, and I doubt EV's will ever take over, they will be supplemental.

MB engines are really good, they can afford to not invest for 5 to 10 years and play with hybrid systems and keep their politicians placated. That is what I read into this.

Oil is the lubricator of the world, nothing can change that no matter how green the fluffers lips are!
View Quote
Same page. Yea the Mirai and Clarity ain't going anywhere.

Toyota strategically chose the Hybrid path, rather than full EV, as it allowed the best use of the limited current production of batts. Batt production is sufficient for something like 25k EV vs 1.5 million hybrids. They chose 1.5M units. Killman pointed that out explicitly during Geneva. Toyota will try to sell you on carbon emissions, but there's a huge profit motive. But it's also developed a very mature tech base to leverage.

The reason we have the Supra is because BMW needed Toyota competency in batteries, systems and motors. Sok trade
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1908-“hey mister livery stable owner, what do you think of mr fords fancy affordable horseless carriage?”

-livery stable owner “it’s pretty neat, it’s cool it’s faster than a horse and all but only in a straight line. And once it’s out of gas my horse will keep on going. I mean look, there are only a few gas stations around so how are you going to refuel it? And besides that, it’s really only good if you live in a big city. If you want drive it long distance there is the gas station issue and what roads are you going to drive it on? There are only a few smooth enough to not beat the car to pieces. And another thing, where is mr ford going to get all that steel for his cars? The supply chain is constrained by the building industry buying it all up for those big buildings. And what about the rubber for all those tires? Only X amount of rubber is produced a year and it’s pretty much spoken for.....and the oil and gas companies are pretty much tapped out in their refining capacity. They can never handle fuel for any significant number of those fancy cars. I’m not worried in the least bit they are kind of cool. Even if, I’ve still got farmers bringing their crops to town. No car can ever replace that plus they need those horses to work their fields. Cars can’t plow fields”

Fast forward 12 years to the 1920s when Americans bought 26 million cars and 3 million trucks.
Plus tractors

I’m certain there were tons of “cling to your horse” folks that made these arguments

And to me those arguments seem really familiar
View Quote
ICE > EV >Horse Buggy
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is the other problem besides battery density. Not everyone lives in a house and even if they do can they afford a multiple thousand dollar 220v DC charger and re-wire? What apartment complex, business or company is going to bear the cost to install in parking garages and other locations "for free" it's going to costly and be spendy. To say nothing of transformer and grid upgrades for those chargers.

Nuclear is the only answer, but we lost our manufacturing knowledge and due to the NIMBY and regulatory costs we probably won't see a new one until if/when natural gas goes high. In short, feel good you libs, your electric is really running on coal, fuel or natural gas.  Solar doesn't provide at nighttime/winter/cloudy and needs a $hit ton of batteries to make it reliable. Even when you get it in a sunny climate the heat (like here in AZ) sucks some of the efficiency. Wind is not reliable.
View Quote
We already install charging stations at all new properties developed - almost always subsidized by local power co. There's a demonstrated path to full retrofit on multi family - but adopters/residents will pay a premium.

Current use is marginal tho, with little increase, so I have plenty of capacity for the foreseeable future. Had virtually no use on a student housing asset that's since been sold. Which I found surprising. I doubt I'll be retrofitting my legacy properties anytime soon. Def sizzle not steak.

That said if you asked me 15 years ago if I'd have multiple charge stations (or private electrical infrastructure) on my properties by now, I'd have given it a low probability.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
See this is just the problem
It’s ignorance
The inverter is in the car
At home it’s a 240v AC charger
I put my own in
$75 bucks for a nema 14/50 plug
50 amp breaker and about 10 feet of wire and 2 hours of work

There is an adapter that plugs into the nema 14/50 receptacle
Gives me about 25 mph charge rate
I usually have the charging amps dialed down though (you can set the rate on the car)
18 mph is plenty fast

It doesn’t cost multiple thousands of dollars to set up charging at home on 240v and it doesn’t take 2 weeks to drive across country in a Tesla
If you opt for a fancy charger Tesla sells one for about $500 and you can have it installed for about $400 bucks around here
If you wanted to go max cost

The apt thing is an issue but there are several apt complexes starting to install them as part of their lease packages
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
where are they proposing all of this "green" electricity to charge these cars will come from?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's ignorance
At home it's a 240v AC charger
I put my own in

I usually have the charging amps dialed down though (you can set the rate on the car)
18 mph is plenty fast

It doesn't cost multiple thousands of dollars to set up charging at home on 240v and it doesn't take 2 weeks to drive across country in a Tesla
If you opt for a fancy charger Tesla sells one for about $500 and you can have it installed for about $400 bucks around here

The apt thing is an issue but there are several apt complexes starting to install them as part of their lease packages
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's ignorance
At home it's a 240v AC charger
I put my own in

18 mph is plenty fast

It doesn't cost multiple thousands of dollars to set up charging at home on 240v and it doesn't take 2 weeks to drive across country in a Tesla

MultiFam won't be an issue, if there's demand, the scale allows pay for play amortized retrofit. That won't be necessary as most PowerCos see this as an opportunity and offer various programs to encourage adoption. So much for Negawatts

Attachment Attached File

We'll see more of this
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
where are they proposing all of this "green" electricity to charge these cars will come from?
View Quote
It won't be green, and few who are serious will claim that's so
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the conversion to electric correlates to an equal reduction in oil drilling, refining, pumping etc some of the grid stress will be relieved as a generally accepted figure is about 8 kw of electricity is consumed to find, extract, refine, and deliver 1 gallon of gas

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2011/10/14/how-gas-cars-use-more-electricity-to-go-100-miles-than-evs-do/

My car can go around 25 miles on that
A model 3 can go about 30

Let’s reduce that figure by half
4 kw
12 miles
If the gas process is reduced proportionately that will free up about 35% of the daily electric production required for average daily driver
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If the conversion to electric correlates to an equal reduction in oil drilling, refining, pumping etc some of the grid stress will be relieved as a generally accepted figure is about 8 kw of electricity is consumed to find, extract, refine, and deliver 1 gallon of gas

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2011/10/14/how-gas-cars-use-more-electricity-to-go-100-miles-than-evs-do/

Let's reduce that figure by half
4 kw
12 miles
If the gas process is reduced proportionately that will free up about 35% of the daily electric production required for average daily driver
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's reduce that figure by half
4 kw
12 miles
Theres all kinds of offsets that can be played - but offsets rarely come straight across the grid. Many load exchanges are poorly calculated.

The production of electricity itself might be marginally greener than today, but barring breakthroughs it won't be green.

Batts have a lifespan and energy costs as well. And unlike oil, very little of the constituents are present in the US.

But the flame burns in none like the converted
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I still don't understand why hybrids have been abandoned; it seems like the best of both worlds.  The performance and simplicity of electric drive train, with the flexibility and range of a small gas generator to charge the battery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should be focusing on hybrid electric powertrains not just pure Electric

That's a pretty dumb move
I still don't understand why hybrids have been abandoned; it seems like the best of both worlds.  The performance and simplicity of electric drive train, with the flexibility and range of a small gas generator to charge the battery.
I couldn't agree more. Especially plug-in hybrids. There are still a massive number of people in this country who do not have access to power where they park their vehicles. Think of the logistics to add thousands of chargers to a work place parking lot or street so people could charge in cities. Hybrids give people options.

I don't disagree that EV's are coming, but it'll take a long time to replace IC.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I couldn't agree more. Especially plug-in hybrids. There are still a massive number of people in this country who do not have access to power where they park their vehicles. Think of the logistics to add thousands of chargers to a work place parking lot or street so people could charge in cities. Hybrids give people options.

I don't disagree that EV's are coming, but it'll take a long time to replace IC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will take a few decades to get close to dominance, I think Moore’s law for batteries is about 8 years, so in about 4-8 years I think the tech is going to become obviously better as edge case problems disappear. Once you get past the majority of battery shortcomings and add in self driving capabilities, I think they will have a hard time meeting demand.

I for one would LOVE a self driving car with a million mile warranty that is cheaper to refuel to boot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Theres all kinds of offsets that can be played - but offsets rarely come straight across the grid. Many load exchanges are poorly calculated.

The production of electricity itself might be marginally greener than today, but barring breakthroughs it won't be green.

Batts have a lifespan and energy costs as well. And unlike oil, very little of the constituents are present in the US.

View Quote
I am no energy expert
My experience stops at having put a solar system on my barn that provides all the electricity my house needs and the fuel my car requires
For the most part unless I’m on a road trip

And the last line....
Any number of cliches can be applied to those resistant to change

The bulk of the criticisms of electric vehicles here are exaggerated, unfounded or simply false
I can only chalk that up to resistance to change as EVs don’t stand in their own merits
It’s wrapped up in politics
EVs bad Green Bad
Ohhh Porsche has an EV? Now EVs maybe good?

My first career was photography
This exact same battle with the exact same arguments were played out when the industry was transitioning from film to digital

As to the electricity requirements
There are lots of ways to generate electricity
Cost is an issue, if that’s the only concern the electricity required won’t be green
Bust certainly “green” proction has been increasing significantly as a part of our total production
If we boil it down to politics and make associations
Then most on this board will find any argument to show how it can’t be a part of the solution as green energy has an emotional association with the left.
In the real world politics aside alternatively produced electricity will be a factor.
EVs will continue to take marketshare globally
The fuel has to and will be produced
Coal has seen its peak
Most will most likely be made up by natural gas
It’s cheaper and greener
More people are going to be buying solar
It’s just a truth
If I had to wager Allternatively produced electricity will account for a significantly higher percentage of our total
10 years from now and will play its part in helping meet the increased demands EVs will require
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now work to get 60%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read my post above. They have spent billions and achieved over 50% thermal efficiency with hybrid electrics.
Now work to get 60%
You're starting to reach the limits of physics at levels above 50%.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Until electric vehicles offer refueling/recharging as quickly and conveniently as gasoline does, they won't be mainstream.

I've been told recharging a vehicle battery that has 300+ miles of range in 3-5 minutes would require a massive amount of power (not sure if voltage or amperage or both).  Pretty much every "gas station" out there would have to be re-wired and it would be a strain on the current electrical grid.

Another solution would be for standardized battery packs that can be swapped in 3-5 minutes but that presents other engineering and design challenges, plus the labor or equipment in the field to swap the batteries.
View Quote
90% of the time you just charge at home.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Where is the massive amount of extra electricity going to come from? We already have problems supplying enough power to areas with higher populations when it gets hot.  Charge over night when the grid is less stressed?  Don't you think it would be stressed if a shit ton of people plug in their cars before heading to bed?
View Quote
Switching all gasoline cars to EVs would require about a 25% increase in electricity generation, if this happened over a 10 year period this would require a little over 2% growth per year, which is in line with the historical average.

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Would you like to discuss this topic in terms of efficiency, logistics, mathematics or economics?

I'd like you to answer this rhetorical question; "Which source of energy best suits our current state, and the next 10 years of economic growth and stability?"

Consumer cars are such a small part of the energy equation, but they are the most emotional subject because we all want to be the master of our own horse. How do we power the devices that move (logistically) most of the stuff we need to keep our economies productive? Can EV's compete with current systems?

EV's are novelties for market mavens and first movers, but on every measurable scale of economic development and environmental protection, they are net losers.

Hydrogen creates a conundrum, but it has to be produced by massive amounts of electricity so how the hell do we do that??

NOTHING is free. But some things are more efficient and easier to improve like the energy systems we have now. Get over that and embrace cleaning of current systems before embarking on new untested ones.
View Quote
Road transportation is about 25% of our energy consumption.

https://www.iea.org/Sankey/#?c=United%20States&s=Final%20consumption
https://www.iea.org/Sankey/#?c=United%20States&s=Balance

It's also the most expensive part of our energy consumption, probably more than all other forms of energy combined.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have you checked what a Tesla weighs? Current predictions don't understand battery technology and density. This is the same thing affecting solar panels.  Moore's law doesn't apply, physics is a bitch and improvements are hard or difficult. I haven't seen anything that can/will be adopted in the near term that will double the density. Maybe, maybe 15 years someone will get the exotics working.  Until the density problem for batteries is solved you won't see total adoption of electric vehicles. Short range or second commuter vehicles sure. An F250 all electric towing 15K nope.
View Quote
The Tesla Model 3 with the long range batteries weighs about 200 pounds more than comparable ICE cars. (4,000 lbs vs 3,800 lbs)
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I think there really is more potential available with electric than gas for locomotion.  That is the wave of the future and one day when we are all gone no one will remember or care about the ICE.

BUT....

I think electric cars are for communists.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#22]
So they’re pulling out of F1 then too?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I think this is about as genuine as Bill Gates and Warren Buffet signing the giving pledge.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Tesla Model 3 with the long range batteries weighs about 200 pounds more than comparable ICE cars. (4,000 lbs vs 3,800 lbs)
View Quote
4,000 lbs is about 700 lbs (or more) heavier than the Camry and Accord.

ETA: For comparability, the Model 3 NVH matches a Civic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All while Germany produces electricity by coal plants.

Fucking retards

Another reason to hate Mercedes
View Quote
On TV they were jacking off that China builds over 10 times the amount of electric cars than the U.S.  They are coal powered cars, most of China's electricity is from coal plants, they have NO natural gas and very little oil reserves in China.

China is finally building 11 nuclear power plants, but bring a new coal fired plant on line every week or two.

Other than in the U.S. France and Japan most electric cars are really coal powered cars.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#26]
A bad move
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#27]
@P400

Your post is more ironic than you know. A German Daimler Benz engine engineer flew here and bought a 71 cuda we did. Shipped it home to Germany.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On TV they were jacking off that China builds over 10 times the amount of electric cars than the U.S.  They are coal powered cars, most of China's electricity is from coal plants, they have NO natural gas and very little oil reserves in China.

China is finally building 11 nuclear power plants, but bring a new coal fired plant on line every week or two.

Other than in the U.S. France and Japan most electric cars are really coal powered cars.
View Quote
China
20% hydro
10% wind
7.5% solar
55% coal

When the reactors come online the coal will drop a good bit
Increase in the hydro, wind and solar
Probably 5-10 years coal will be 20-30%
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So says this development chief. And the next one will be brought in to take the company back to its roots to refocus of new gas engines, then the next chief will be brought in to usher in the future again. Rinse. Repeat.
View Quote
Yup.

This year's vanity project is electric cars.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#30]
To be fair Mercedes has always been innovative and a trend setter for technology. This is merely continuing that tradition.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am no energy expert
My experience stops at having put a solar system on my barn that provides all the electricity my house needs and the fuel my car requires
For the most part unless I'm on a road trip

And the last line....

The bulk of the criticisms of electric vehicles here are exaggerated, unfounded or simply false
I can only chalk that up to resistance to change as EVs don't stand in their own merits
It's wrapped up in politics
EVs bad Green Bad

This exact same battle with the exact same arguments were played out when the industry was transitioning from film to digital

Cost is an issue, if that's the only concern the electricity required won't be green
Bust certainly "green" proction has been increasing significantly as a part of our total production
Then most on this board will find any argument to show how it can't be a part of the solution as green energy has an emotional association with the left.
In the real world politics aside alternatively produced electricity will be a factor.
Coal has seen its peak
It's cheaper and greener
It's just a truth
If I had to wager Allternatively produced electricity will account for a significantly higher percentage of our total
10 years from now and will play its part in helping meet the increased demands EVs will
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am no energy expert
For the most part unless I'm on a road trip

And the last line....

I can only chalk that up to resistance to change as EVs don't stand in their own merits
It's wrapped up in politics
EVs bad Green Bad

Cost is an issue, if that's the only concern the electricity required won't be green
Bust certainly "green" proction has been increasing significantly as a part of our total production
Then most on this board will find any argument to show how it can't be a part of the solution as green energy has an emotional association with the left.
Coal has seen its peak
It's cheaper and greener
It's just a truth
10 years from now and will play its part in helping meet the increased demands EVs will
If the next ten years are the last ten years - and the increase has been fairly steady -  no. Unless by significant you mean less than 20% non hydro renewable. But there's barriers so the near futures not more green, but not green by a mile

The problem is, when arguments  are predicated as "Green", almost every new solution pales to reuse.  My buddy with a 60 year old Land Rover with a 40 year old Cummins he's owned for 25 years -  that burns WVO/BioD - just laughs when he's berated by smug Tesla drivers for his choice in transportation. In Portland it's not an uncommon occurrence - which is normally shorted by his questions about energy cost of 5 year cycling of their new EVs. Preference is personal and should remain so - nobody defends the purchase of leather seats or premium sound. It's a decision not a cause.

The whole championing becomes tiresome to people like me, who are inclined, but are turned off by the zealotry and  lack of candor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
China
20% hydro
10% wind
7.5% solar
55% coal

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

China
20% hydro
10% wind
7.5% solar
55% coal

The only reason the percentage will drop is because China will be building more Nuke Electric capacity, they will not be shutting down coal power plants. They will also not stop building more of them either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If the next ten years are the last ten years - and the increase has been fairly steady -  no. Unless by significant you mean less than 20% non hydro renewable. But there's barriers so the near futures not more green, but not green by a mile

The problem is, when arguments  are predicated as "Green", almost every new solution pales to reuse.  My buddy with a 60 year old Land Rover with a 40 year old Cummins he's owned for 25 years -  that burns WVO/BioD - just laughs when he's berated by smug Tesla drivers for his choice in transportation. In Portland it's not an uncommon occurrence - which is normally shorted by his questions about energy cost of 5 year cycling of their new EVs. Preference is personal and should remain so - nobody defends the purchase of leather seats or premium sound. It's a decision not a cause.

The whole championing becomes tiresome to people like me, who are inclined, but are turned off by the zealotry and  lack of candor.
View Quote
I understand all that
It’s pretty common where I live that I get coal rolled
Have you heard of that? The process of modifying your Diesel engine to at will release copious amounts of sooty exhaust on primarily electric vehicles and Prius because of their choice of vehicle?

Do a YouTube search for Hickory super charger fuck Tesla
You’ll see a funny little protest rally against Tesla
Watch people go out of their way to block Tesla chargers

To act as if Tesla owners have a corner on the dick move behavior is just rediculous

You can find literally 1000’s of rolling coal videos on you tube
Those are just the recorders ones

You can find thousands of images of dickheads going out of their way to block Tesla chargers

I’d love to know how your buddy is berated
Do they like yell at him at stop lights? Or is it more like an eye roll?
Do they scream at him
A good proper dressing down
Do they follow him and get out when he does to confront him?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#34]
FICE FICE FICE
I hate ICEs.
We probably have 15 old jeeps trucks heavy equipment and the maintenance drives me crazy!
But my electric forklift always goes and is the cheapest to maintain.
I can't wait for an electric f350 and I will keep a diesel generator in the back for road trips.
I have solar so just having all my shit charging is part of my retirement fantasies.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They have also spent multiple billions over the last 7-8 years doing R&D on their F1 engine program ultimately achieving over 50% thermal efficiency.

When they say, “we are stopping further development” it really means: Our current development projects encompass our next generation engine programs for the next 12-15 years. Further resources will now be spent on electric development for future deployment.
View Quote
This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 2:04:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don’t know but we figured it out in 10 years when we went from needing to fuel 500,000 cars in 1908 to needing to fuel 30,000,000 in the 1920s

Yes that was good ol oil
We produced enough to meet the need in 1908  and on utility scale as the need increased so did the production

I get pretty much all of my fuel from solar
15kw system
Makes more than I use for driving and my house

Maybe more hydro? Maybe need storage on a utility scale to offset? Maybe more nuclear? More wind? More solar?
Natural gas?

We have done it before
When electric consumption has increased we have responded.

It’s a valid question but when the question is phrased in such a way as to be nearly rhetorical it dismisses the fact we have rapidly increased production of fuel for gas cars in the past and we have rapidly increased electrical production in the past to meet rapidly rising electrical consumption

The fact that electricity is going to be used in something you might not agree with doesn’t feminism the fact we have produced pretty much anything we have needed to meet the demand that need required.
There is  a business model in there somewhere
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t know but we figured it out in 10 years when we went from needing to fuel 500,000 cars in 1908 to needing to fuel 30,000,000 in the 1920s

Yes that was good ol oil
We produced enough to meet the need in 1908  and on utility scale as the need increased so did the production

I get pretty much all of my fuel from solar
15kw system
Makes more than I use for driving and my house

Maybe more hydro? Maybe need storage on a utility scale to offset? Maybe more nuclear? More wind? More solar?
Natural gas?

We have done it before
When electric consumption has increased we have responded.

It’s a valid question but when the question is phrased in such a way as to be nearly rhetorical it dismisses the fact we have rapidly increased production of fuel for gas cars in the past and we have rapidly increased electrical production in the past to meet rapidly rising electrical consumption

The fact that electricity is going to be used in something you might not agree with doesn’t feminism the fact we have produced pretty much anything we have needed to meet the demand that need required.
There is  a business model in there somewhere
You should have stopped at I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#37]
and there was a fucking Tesla in Drag Week.

ran consistent 10.40's.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hybrid makes sense in some cases, but for the vast majority of driving all electric is a better option. Both have their place. Most households have more than one vehicle, having a pure electric and a hybrid would be ideal for most of those cases.

Personally, I have no interest in a hybrid, but would love a pure EV to DD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hybrid is the way to go. I know most of you laugh at the Prius, but mine is going on 4 years old and it is bullet proof transportation. Point A to B. makes its own electricity, sips on gas. Not a super car but it was designed for every day driving. Tesla is an example of a family super car but it has a limited range because it is 100% electric. Put a small gas motor in one and you have a winner.
Hybrid makes sense in some cases, but for the vast majority of driving all electric is a better option. Both have their place. Most households have more than one vehicle, having a pure electric and a hybrid would be ideal for most of those cases.

The overall energy efficiency of a hybrid is significantly higher than an electric when you consider all energy consumed, from extraction to usage.

All-electric cars are all marketing. Hybrids just make more sense.

Of course, the only non-boring option is and always will be the ICE.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Both electric and petroleum are dead ends.

The future belongs to wood gas powered cars.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#40]
It's their damn funeral.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
The outlet in the well.  Duh.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For daily driving/commuting 99 % of people will meet 99% of their needs by fueling at home at night when the grid isn’t stressed
View Quote
That works great for the 1% driving EVs now, but if your 99% were plugging in their cars in the evening, or setting delay chargers for after midnight, the grid will be overloaded at those times.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
What's your idea of comparable to a Model 3?
A Cruze weighs 2900, Civic weighs less.
Malibu closer to 3400 IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#44]
EVs are the future for personal transportation, but are still 20/30 years out to being truly viable.

That being said, MB is most likely just trying to get a leg up on research.

Who knows...maybe they will crack the energy density issue in battery
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The overall energy efficiency of a hybrid is significantly higher than an electric when you consider all energy consumed, from extraction to usage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hybrid is the way to go. I know most of you laugh at the Prius, but mine is going on 4 years old and it is bullet proof transportation. Point A to B. makes its own electricity, sips on gas. Not a super car but it was designed for every day driving. Tesla is an example of a family super car but it has a limited range because it is 100% electric. Put a small gas motor in one and you have a winner.

Hybrids are just a more complicated and expensive version of what we have now. You have more maintenance than with an ICE, none of the convenience of an EV. They're a shitty solution to a governmentally invented problem. The only way they make sense is if pure ICE powered vehicles are legislated out of existence. Pure EVs have a logical, existing market segment. EVs are an improvement over what we have now for the majority of people the majority of the time. Hybrids are an expensive and overly complicated replacement for something that already works. That doesn't mean they won't have a market segment, just that the segment will only exist due to governmental interference.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Complete and total BS
Here is a canonball run time in a Tesla for you.
Better time than a few ICE cars

I’ve done it in 2.75 days on a bit more leasurely route
The last half carrying 5 adults and luggage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-ev-cannonball-run-record-video/amp/

2 weeks? You are woefully uneducated on the
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using Tesla's recharging stations and working with the timetables, it takes you two weeks to cross the United States.

Tell me Mercedes, what got you to do that in 28 hours with an electric car? Because so far, only an internal combustion vehicle can do that.

MB is virtue signalling to their ignorant buyer base insulated from reality.
Complete and total BS
Here is a canonball run time in a Tesla for you.
Better time than a few ICE cars

I’ve done it in 2.75 days on a bit more leasurely route
The last half carrying 5 adults and luggage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-ev-cannonball-run-record-video/amp/

2 weeks? You are woefully uneducated on the
Screen name is fitting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#47]
As someone who has owned three electric vehicles and studies the current and future technology in this arena, I am 98% sure, I’ll never purchase another gas/diesel powered vehicle in my life (unless I buy a an old classic for fun).  The electric car/truck/suv has arrived in a big way. 5-10 years from now, you won’t want to buy a gas/diesel powered vehicle because the electric options will be wayyyy better.  I’m waiting for an electric full sized truck.  It shouldn’t be long and my current gas powered truck only has 35K miles, so my next one will indeed be all electric.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

4,000 lbs is about 700 lbs (or more) heavier than the Camry and Accord.

ETA: For comparability, the Model 3 NVH matches a Civic.
View Quote
~4,050 pounds for the dual motor, long range version. A Camry with 4 cylinders, 150hp, and 2wd is not comparable.

Comparable BMWs and Audis weigh ~3,800 pounds.

~3,850 pounds for the long range
~3,650 pounds for the short range
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hybrids are just a more complicated and expensive version of what we have now. You have more maintenance than with an ICE, none of the convenience of an EV. They're a shitty solution to a governmentally invented problem. The only way they make sense is if pure ICE powered vehicles are legislated out of existence. Pure EVs have a logical, existing market segment. EVs are an improvement over what we have now for the majority of people the majority of the time. Hybrids are an expensive and overly complicated replacement for something that already works. That doesn't mean they won't have a market segment, just that the segment will only exist due to governmental interference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you tell all those Prius taxi owners how unreliable their cars are O.o... plenty of exceptionally reliable hybrids on the road.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What a bunch of progressive idiots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What a bunch of progressive idiots.
They just shot themselves in the dick by jumping into green feel-good power projects and importing a couple of million barbarians into the EU, so at least they're consistent.

10, 20 years from now nobody may want their engines anyways.

Some people like to masturbate about electric cars because it satisfies a certain fascination with gadgets for non-gearheads.   They're not ready to replace internal combustion for many users, and certainly not for most for reasons of scale.

Quoted:

90% of the time you just charge at home.
It's the other 10% that is a deal breaker.    If I need more range, I can toss some fuel cans in the back and it takes all of a minute to dump one in the tank.    Getting an additional vehicle for trips under a certain distance requires space to park it, being set up to charge it, extra insurance costs, cost of the vehicle, etc.

Everyone I know with EV's falls into one of two categories:

- They're effectively tied to an urban area.   Modern day techno-serfs.

- They're rich and have conventional vehicles and garages you can stuff several cars in
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top