Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Who determines value of the trade and the value of the car you trade it in on?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
All part of the plan.

They have declared victory in these shit holes.
The voters will continue to vote them in because the freeloaders far outnumber the producers.
Now they are going to make it as uncomfortable as possible for the producers to stay, hence exporting them to more conservative states.

Then the affordable housing plans sends them out to the conservative parts of town to overwhelm the vote there.

Nothing will get better before it gets a lot worse.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a horrible state.  It seems like the only way to deal with that if one had to live there is to keep a vehicle until it has little to no value.  Something I would think the dealers would not like.  I can't see how that is even legal and hope it gets challenged in court.
View Quote
What with the salt they use in winter would that be like 4-5 years?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
what ever the state decides
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What with the salt they use in winter would that be like 4-5 years?
View Quote
most cars are more resilient to salt now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Get woke go broke applied to the state level too
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, the good people of Illinois voted the bums into office.  They wanted tax and spend democrat politics.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The way the article is written I can’t tell if you only pay tax on the used car value or if you pay for the difference and the trade in value which means there is no tax benefit to trading in.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
How so? Honest question
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How so? Honest question
View Quote
better clear coat, better seals, thick undercoat epoxy like stuff from the factory, better everything

since 2015 things have gotten stellar across the board much like how there was a noticeable improvement around the mid 00s
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm actually surprised it's taken Illinois this long to get with the program.

Virginia has had the same tax rules for awhile.  I was slightly shocked when I heard about it.

Pure, unadulterated bullshit.  Pick up that can.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not in Iowa.

Rust is everything on everything. Even more if you drive gravel. Everything more than 4 years old we regularly repair rust. Hell any Ford trucks before 2015, Chevy's before 2014 and all Dodge or "Ram" trucks have rust everywhere. Ford went aluminum, Chevy rock guarded and waxed stuff and Dodge hasnt done jack crap. Rust belt rules all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The way the article is written I can’t tell if you only pay tax on the used car value or if you pay for the difference and the trade in value which means there is no tax benefit to trading in.
View Quote
Sales tax will be charged on the sale price of the vehicle you're buying, same as always. There's not going to be an additional tax on your trade in.

In the past there's been a tax credit for the entire trade in value, that credit will be capped at $10K after this year.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm guessing within 5 years they'll figure out a way to tax the people fleeing that shithole of a state.
View Quote
Pretty sure Prickless will think of that next.

But doesn't NY do that also?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, not by far....
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Joe Bonamassa - "Taxman" - Live at The Cavern Club
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good for their stupid residents who voted for shit like that by electing shit bag pols.
No sympathy for people who stay in places like that.
View Quote
Don't be that fucking stupid. Do you realize that Cook county and the city of Chicago's population is double the whole rest of the mainly conservative state! That is right south of I80 really has little to no say in the laws put upon us. But at least we don't marry our daughters here like that WV dude!
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wonder if they could beat the tax by buying/trading in Indiana?
View Quote
Nope, when you register it in Illinois they want the dealer paperwork. In my case the city I am in has an additional 3.5% sales tax. So that $10k to me on a trade is more like $975 per $10k.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's a Z06 I have been looking at in IL but I think I'll pass.
View Quote
reading is for faggots
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are their car tags a flat rate, or based on the worth of the vehicle?
View Quote
Flat. For my SUV and previous sedan, it’s been $101 for some time. Going up soon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We tax you on the money you make at your job to buy the vehicle.

We tax you when you use the money you were taxed to buy a vehicle.

We tax you to license the vehicle that you were taxed twice over now.

We tax you to use the highway system for the vehicle that you were taxed over 3? times now.

We tax you for the gasoline the you've been taxed 4? or 5? times over to use.

We now tax you when your vehicle is worn out and you trade it in on a new vehicle, which you will be taxed on.

Illinois is still deep in the red.

Land of Lincoln!
View Quote
Don't forget the "Use Tax" on the vehicle you're buying.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Coming soon to a state near you...
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Holy carp, that’s probably more per tank in State Fees and permits than we pay for building a whole fuel distribution terminal with a couple million bbls of storage
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We tax you on the money you make at your job to buy the vehicle.

We tax you when you use the money you were taxed to buy a vehicle.

We tax you to license the vehicle that you were taxed twice over now.

We tax you to use the highway system for the vehicle that you were taxed over 3? times now.

We tax you for the gasoline the you've been taxed 4? or 5? times over to use.

We now tax you when your vehicle is worn out and you trade it in on a new vehicle, which you will be taxed on.

Illinois is still deep in the red.

Land of Lincoln!
Fun fact.

Cook county has a tax, a licensing department and inspection department for bulk oil tanks.

For new customers it was in excess of $1000 a tank depending on size.
Holy carp, that’s probably more per tank in State Fees and permits than we pay for building a whole fuel distribution terminal with a couple million bbls of storage
We literally got run out of our building.

$2400 a week fine for not having handicap accessible doors.
$700 a week fine for not having a handicap accessible bathroom.
$40 a day business license fee late fee. (Even though we’re an Ohio company.)

There is other things I’m forgetting. But we tossed the keys to the land lord and said have fun.

They targeted us, not wanting us around.  Not a damn thing has been updated in the building since we left. But the company who owns it, upfits all the cars for Chicago PD and the surrounding areas.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]
CT has a similar tax that should be starting around the same time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]
So overall car sales will decline, and overall taxes that come in will decrease.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone else think it's flawed being able to tax second hand goods? I mean the tax is already paid the first time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#27]
It's not a new tax, it's the removal of a tax credit for the value of your trade.  MD used to be this way, then added the credit ten or so years back.  Also, the amount of taxes and .gov fees on a car purchase are factored based on where it will be registered.  So a MD resident will pay the same taxes whether they buy a car in MD, VA, PA.  Doc fees are charged based on where the dealer is located.   So a MD dealer will usually charge $299, but a VA dealer will usually charge $699.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Is that even legal? Sounds like double taxation to me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hey, the good people of Illinois voted the bums into office.  They wanted tax and spend democrat politics.
View Quote

Don't get too comfortable, Tex.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's not going to be a tax on trade in vehicles, I'm not sure where you're getting that. The only thing that's changing is the existing TAX CREDIT for trade ins will be capped at $10K.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There's not going to be a tax on trade in vehicles, I'm not sure where you're getting that. The only thing that's changing is the existing TAX CREDIT for trade ins will be capped at $10K.
View Quote
The story had to say taxing the credit, instead of removing the trade tax credit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wait until the Georgia republicans find out they can add taxes
View Quote
I'd say they are well aware of that.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In Georgia they changed the law 8-10 years ago on car sales.  Prior to the law change, you could buy a used car from an individual and you didn't have to pay sales tax at all.  There was a huge market for used cars sold by individuals.

The new law in Georgia is you pay a tax when you get your car tag.  So it doesn't matter how or where you buy your car, when you get the tag transferred, you pay the 7% tax.
View Quote
Yep.  GA now strongly discourages selling your car for a new one.  Drive it into the ground, and pollute the air in Atlanta more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#36]
that doesn’t seem like it would hold up in court.  Seems like double taxation.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m thinking you pay the sales tax on the entire value of the new car, not the value net of your trade in.  Essentially taxing you twice on your previous car
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Reminds me of the used car tax that passed here in GA a few years back. It basically took away all of the perks of buying via private sale. Every time a vehicle is sold, you are taxed on the government's value of the vehicle, not the price paid. Also, it's an all at once tax as opposed to the old ad valorem tax that was MUCH lower. Of course, the dealerships lobbied hard for this and got what they wanted. Gotta love it
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
that doesn't seem like it would hold up in court.  Seems like double taxation.
View Quote
Is double taxation unconstitutional?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Our forefathers would have already went past having a tea party to full on kill dozer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yep.  GA now strongly discourages selling your car for a new one.  Drive it into the ground, and pollute the air in Atlanta more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Georgia they changed the law 8-10 years ago on car sales.  Prior to the law change, you could buy a used car from an individual and you didn't have to pay sales tax at all.  There was a huge market for used cars sold by individuals.

The new law in Georgia is you pay a tax when you get your car tag.  So it doesn't matter how or where you buy your car, when you get the tag transferred, you pay the 7% tax.
While it is a crime, in NJ and OH (among others), it's customary to claim the vehicle's value at a couple hundred, or on expensive models, a couple thousand. While you can't beat the entire tax, you can still screw them out of 90%.

Taxation as exists in this country is armed robbery, and you can't change my mind (honorable mention to extortion).
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that doesn't seem like it would hold up in court.  Seems like double taxation.
Only if you consider the SCOTUS an authority on the constitution......
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#43]
People will sell their cars and take $ to put down. Like cash for clunkers the used car market will get sparse. The state will not get that much tax money. Up next is taxing people for their mileage driven every year. Then someone will develop software that turns the odo off with the flick of a switch.

People with money arent stupid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah it’s 100% a double tax and is bullshit. I hate this state
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
People will sell their cars and take $ to put down. Like cash for clunkers the used car market will get sparse. The state will not get that much tax money. Up next is taxing people for their mileage driven every year. Then someone will develop software that turns the odo off with the flick of a switch.

People with money arent stupid.
View Quote
The state will get the same money whether you trade or not.  They will get tax on what you buy.  The change takes away the tax credit for your trade amount.  Instead of $30k new car - $10k trade value credit = pay tax on $20k difference,  now you just pay on $30k regardless of trade.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#46]
a tax on a tax on a tax on a tax .... the government are masters at taxing a citizens dollar, the same dollar, as many times as they absolutely can until that dollar isn't worth a dollar anymore.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm sure it will be pissed away on more handouts rather than be put toward their huge underfunded public pensions liability.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wait until the Georgia republicans find out they can add taxes
View Quote
GA already leads the country in bullshit vehicle taxes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#49]
When you're bankrupt and still desperately need to spend money that you don't have, it creates a certain desperation where just about anything is possible.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good for their stupid residents who voted for shit like that by electing shit bag pols.
No sympathy for people who stay in places like that.
View Quote
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top