Page / 180
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#1]

We’ll secure page 120
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:19:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#2]
Woooooooowwww

How Much Did STAR WARS Sequels Really COST Disney? | The TRUTH Revealed

Disney has probably LOST money on starwars movies, or just BARELY cut even on the movies ONLY because of the UK tax credit and anything they could make off it post-box-office.

-----------------

So, you have to file real numbers in the UK to get the tax credits. Companies creatively decieve with the names they pick to use over there in order to hide these reports. Apparently we now have the names for all of the disney movies.

Official hollywood accounting numbers puts their production costs (sans promotion) at 1.32 bn. for them all combined and they theoretically made 5.92 bn in box office returns.

Now for the HA decoder ring:

Domestic box returns 55%, international sans china 43, china 25.

So in reality, disney would only have gotten back 2.84 bn. after the theaters take their cut.

Now, for the decoder ring on production costs, based on the info from the UK filings:

the force awakens - 667 mn

rogue one - 294 mn

star wars the last jedi - 409 mn

solo, a star wars story - 364 mn

the rise of skywalker - 554 mn

For a total cost of 2.29 Bn. <---- that is production cost SANS promotion costs.

Assuming ~150m promotion cost each would put them in the hole 200mn. Even being stupidly favorable and saying only 100m a piece only puts them over by ~50mn (on a total outlay of 2.29 billion).

The film tax credit (sucks to be a taxpayer in the UK) returned them 384 mn.

At best, they seem to have only broken even on box office returns, and only because the UK is willing to punk it's taxpayers.

They spent ... what, 4 bn to buy sw/lucasfilm? Spent who knows how much making galaxy's edge in land/world, the now defunct star wars hotel ...

--------------------

And they threw out the EU. It's like they only want to lose money.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:21:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LatentUser] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
As God as my witness. Kathleen Kennedy needs to fed to a Rancor right now! Dave Filoni must run Lucas Arts!
View Quote

Who says she wasn’t and the Rancor wanted nothing to do with the offering?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AR-1904:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the point you're trying to make "we know Thrawn makes it back so why even have Ahsoka go out there in the first place?" Kinda like how Raiders of the Lost Ark would end the same with or without Indiana Jones?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Originally Posted By user4574:
Originally Posted By Furloaf:
Originally Posted By poison123:
here was my suggestion of how they should have dealt with the separation.
They should have focused the next 2 episodes on Baylen and Shin and the search for Thrawn.  Throw in a few scenes of Ahsoka and crew trying to come up with ideas about how to get to there.
Then the last episode of the season is where Thrawn returns in a season climax attacking the New Republic.  That way you don't have to introduce/explain the whole hyperspace whales.  Don't care if they are in the cartoons.  Just leave that plot device out of the equation.

The whales are so f'ing stupid.  I like how everyone some how knows how to get to this other galaxy.....the magic orb...some how knew which galaxy Thrawn ended up in.  The whales....some how know exactly where Ashoka wants to go.....sigh.  There are a lot of great elements in the series....but this whole go to another galaxy thing is retarded.

The whales (purrgil) apparently migrate to the other galaxy.  The magick orb was research studying the purrgil migration.  The purrgil took Thrawn there because that's where they always go, and that's where they took Ahsoka presumably.  She said in the episode she wasn't sure where they were taking her or if they even able to understand her, but at least let her going along for the ride wherever they go.

I agree though I thought not even seeing the toher galaxy would be better for the show.  Just have Thrawn show back up.  That would make the impact of losing the fight last episode mean more than being able to follow to the other galaxy - it would be more of a failure.  We all know Thrawn is making it back and tearing the New Republic a new one anyway.

If they don't show/explain how Thrawn get back then we're just left with people bitching about another "somehow Thrawn returned".
Show that shit. It makes for good entertainment. It seems like the people complaining about the space whales never watched Rebels in the first place. Can't please everyone.
why would they need to?  They already have the direct map to the galaxy.  Plot a reverse course.  There is nothing special for them to do.

Migration patterns don't usually reverse course, and as depicted are in a circular style motion. The same course back may not be able to be reversed which is why the migration was studied and mapped in the first place.

but nightsister lady is bringing the coordinates from the map.  They will know the destination back and they'll have the origin coordinates so that's it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the point you're trying to make "we know Thrawn makes it back so why even have Ahsoka go out there in the first place?" Kinda like how Raiders of the Lost Ark would end the same with or without Indiana Jones?

Green = yes
Red = Not so much.  

Red is more of what are they trying to accomplish by having Ahsoka even going out there?  The ONLY thing I can think of is that by bringing the silly hyperspace whales, that Ahsoka is the one that actual gives Thrawn the ability to get back.
If so, thats pretty dumb.  I would have 1.) figured that nightsister lady probably already has a plan for them to get back, otherwise why go out there in the 1st place?  2.) It seems like it would just be better to have it happen rather than having to try to spoon feed it to the audience.  Just leave the how of the return as a MacGuffin.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I mean she wants to rescue her apprentice and possibly Ezra. That's good enough reason.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:
I mean she wants to rescue her apprentice and possibly Ezra. That's good enough reason.
View Quote

But from a story perspective and frankly from an audience perspective we already know.  Thrawn will return.  So thats already a given and established.
So you either have to:
1.) Have Ahsoka as the instrument of Thrawns return which is just pure stupid.  Why?  Because again how was nightsister lady actually planning on getting Thrawn back?  She would have already figured that out prior to leaving. Unless she had planned the whole time that Ahsoka was going to follow her and bring the hyperspace whales.  Thats just pretty piss poor writing.   So I highly doubt that will be the case
2.) Ahsoka actually gets to the same place.  She tries to stop the Thrawn and fails.  Well that would again be a given since we know he returns.  So from an audience perspective that pretty bad writing.  

Where #2 could possibly be saved is if Ahsoka is stranded in the outer reaches while Thrawn is able to return.  That possible then lets get to the inevitable conclusion which is that they use Ahsoka as the girl boss vehicle to save the republic, despite her failure to stop him from returning in the 1st place.

So I'm going back to my original points of that Ahsoka should NEVER had made the jump in the 1st place.   It would have just been better to end the season on the cliff hanger that Thrawn returns.  I don't need to know the exact mechanism (see #1, nightsister already has the figured out).   It sets up the new season for Ahsoka and the New Republic having to deal as a GROUP, not girl solo boss to defeat Thrawn.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Episode 5 didn't do much for me. I suppose you have to be really invested in the franchise and know all the little subtleties about Anakin and Ahsoka's relationship for it to have had the desired impact. I liked Anakin's attempt at dark humor but the child in Ahsoka simply didn't understand that's just how some cope with the responsibility of leadership and loss, etc. I also found his message to her was to let go of the past and focus on the now and what's to come. That's about all I got, TBH.

Beyond that, I found the whales to be really odd. I hate when they take animals and creatures from the real world and try to reintroduce them as something else -- birds? in this case -- but they look the same minus some goofy tentacles. Bro. It's fk'n Star Wars. Can't y'all think up of something else flying through the air besides fucking WALES?

Also, yeah, General Hera is smoking-hot but somebody explain to me how she has a normal-looking kid, and why is she so formal with him all the time? Shit's weird to me but it really doesn't effect the plot any.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The ring ship is designed to go around Thrawn’s ship and bring him back, or else it’s the goofiest ship ever built.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought the flashes back and everything with Anakin was great. The whole whale thing had me scratching my head but after reading on here it makes more sense.  Best episode thus far in my opinion. Can’t wait for next week!
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]

But from a story perspective and frankly from an audience perspective we already know.  Thrawn will return.  So thats already a given and established.
So you either have to:
1.) Have Ahsoka as the instrument of Thrawns return which is just pure stupid.  Why?  Because again how was nightsister lady actually planning on getting Thrawn back?  She would have already figured that out prior to leaving. Unless she had planned the whole time that Ahsoka was going to follow her and bring the hyperspace whales.  Thats just pretty piss poor writing.   So I highly doubt that will be the case
2.) Ahsoka actually gets to the same place.  She tries to stop the Thrawn and fails.  Well that would again be a given since we know he returns.  So from an audience perspective that pretty bad writing.  

Where #2 could possibly be saved is if Ahsoka is stranded in the outer reaches while Thrawn is able to return.  That possible then lets get to the inevitable conclusion which is that they use Ahsoka as the girl boss vehicle to save the republic, despite her failure to stop him from returning in the 1st place.

So I'm going back to my original points of that Ahsoka should NEVER had made the jump in the 1st place.   It would have just been better to end the season on the cliff hanger that Thrawn returns.  I don't need to know the exact mechanism (see #1, nightsister already has the figured out).   It sets up the new season for Ahsoka and the New Republic having to deal as a GROUP, not girl solo boss to defeat Thrawn.  

View All Quotes

So you either have to:

1.  Do you not remember a giant space ship ring?  That's meant to bring back at least a super star destroyer if I had to guess.  

Not sure if you should be watching a show you dislike this much
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Good info on the sequel movies @flashman
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Episode 5 didn't do much for me. I suppose you have to be really invested in the franchise and know all the little subtleties about Anakin and Ahsoka's relationship for it to have had the desired impact. I liked Anakin's attempt at dark humor but the child in Ahsoka simply didn't understand that's just how some cope with the responsibility of leadership and loss, etc. I also found his message to her was to let go of the past and focus on the now and what's to come. That's about all I got, TBH.

Beyond that, I found the whales to be really odd. I hate when they take animals and creatures from the real world and try to reintroduce them as something else -- birds? in this case -- but they look the same minus some goofy tentacles. Bro. It's fk'n Star Wars. Can't y'all think up of something else flying through the air besides fucking WALES?

Also, yeah, General Hera is smoking-hot but somebody explain to me how she has a normal-looking kid, and why is she so formal with him all the time? Shit's weird to me but it really doesn't effect the plot any.
View Quote

The whales aren’t even the weirdest shit from Rebels. If we see giant live action talking dogs, we know Star Wars has strapped on the water skis and is reaching for their leather jacket
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:

1.  Do you not remember a giant space ship ring?  That's meant to bring back at least a super star destroyer if I had to guess.  

View All Quotes

So you either have to:

That's not the point of the argument.  People were wanting to know the exact details of how could thrawn return.  That's pretty simple which both you and I established.
I then went into the rant as to WHY Ahsoka even needed to jump out there because it doesn't further the plot along or change how the plot plays out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]

That's not the point of the argument.  People were wanting to know the exact details of how could thrawn return.  That's pretty simple which both you and I established.
I then went into the rant as to WHY Ahsoka even needed to jump out there because it doesn't further the plot along or change how the plot plays out.
View All Quotes

So you either have to:

She's off to save Ezra and moreso Sabine if I had to guess ! Hence the lesson from Anakin who only taught her to be a warrior not how to be a Jedi
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By leib109:

She was a bit chubby in the face, but otherwise I think she pulled it off okay. It’s too bad Ashley Eckstein isn’t physically suitable for the role. She will always be Ahsoka to me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By leib109:
Originally Posted By mcantu:

I thought the same thing. I mean, there must be a huge pool of non-chubby actresses that could.have filled that role

She was a bit chubby in the face, but otherwise I think she pulled it off okay. It’s too bad Ashley Eckstein isn’t physically suitable for the role. She will always be Ahsoka to me.

If it was actually her doing the lightsaber work. She is 1000x’s more athletic than Rosario. Lol
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]

She's off to save Ezra and moreso Sabine if I had to guess ! Hence the lesson from Anakin who only taught her to be a warrior not how to be a Jedi
View Quote

My understanding as well. Ahsoka is going for Ezra and Sabine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BB:

View Quote

This all started to stop Thrawn’s return. Stop the witch from leaving with the hyperspace ring. They failed to stop her from going to scoop up Thrawn.

I don’t think everyone is coming back. Who stays in the other galaxy to create the future Filoni Star Wars verse? Not sure.

I’m not to good at this. But if I had to guess. It’s going to be Sabine and Ezra staying in the new galaxy.

Ahsoka will come back, Hera gets her job back. Ahsoka will train the little green haired dude. The fight with Thrawn will continue.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By plinker8:
I thought the flashes back and everything with Anakin was great. The whole whale thing had me scratching my head but after reading on here it makes more sense.  Best episode thus far in my opinion. Can’t wait for next week!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By plinker8:

The show didn't point it out but in the map guideline thing there are drawings of the purrgil, inferring it's the path they take.

Originally Posted By BB:

That Ezra isn't with\coming back with Thrawn is the only reason I can think of to have Ahsoka go to the other galaxy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#20]

We need an HD grab of this so I can make it my background pic.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

This all started to stop Thrawn’s return. Stop the witch from leaving with the hyperspace ring. They failed to stop her from going to scoop up Thrawn.

I don’t think everyone is coming back. Who stays in the other galaxy to create the future Filoni Star Wars verse? Not sure.

I’m not to good at this. But if I had to guess. It’s going to be Sabine and Ezra staying in the new galaxy.

Ahsoka will come back, Hera gets her job back. Ahsoka will train the little green haired dude. The fight with Thrawn will continue.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GutWrench:
Originally Posted By BB:

That’s a good guess
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Delta10mm:

She did a great job, kinda chunky compared to cartoon Snips, but that's not a fair comparison I guess.
View Quote

Cartoon Snips was waif thin and stylized.

I said the same thing about adult Ahsoka and I was reminded she is MUCH older in this show compared to Rebels.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Anyone else notice that now that the mouse has ahsoka, your subscription cost is going up halfway into the season?
View Quote

Comes with my cellphone plan.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#24]
My prediction:

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Because she's a 'General', she only has that several times in every episode.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
My prediction:

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Agree.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

She has a normal kid because the dad was human. That’s just how it shook out.

Rebels had multiple instances of animal interaction.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

So you either have to:

I reference my statement from many pages before... "some of you would complain about a blow job from Meghan Fox if she didn't shove her frying pan thumb up your bonus hole." In fairness, that might have been said in the Special Ops Lioness thread, but still applies.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy things and not over analyze them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ArGyLe64:

I like watching Screen Crush on YouTube. He has some good break downs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArGyLe64:
Originally Posted By Delta10mm:
I usually watch Emergency Awesome on YouTube after each episode. He does a great break down and is normally almost always right in his theories.

I like watching Screen Crush on YouTube. He has some good break downs.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
My prediction:

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By rbutcher:

She has a normal kid because the dad was human. That's just how it shook out.

View Quote

Little dude should at least be a soft satin-green or something, IDK.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
"The seed is strong."
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:

"The seed is strong."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:

"The seed is strong."

Crossing the streams there. Ha.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sh768:
Good info on the sequel movies @flashman
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
Thrawn was lost in Rebels with a squad of Imperial I Star Destroyers. I suspect it brings back all three.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By happycynic:
Thrawn was lost in Rebels with a squad of Imperial I Star Destroyers. I suspect it brings back all three.
View Quote

Yep, more than just one for sure. They made it a point to say they were some of the largest hyperdrives ever made.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

I think that's what the space ring is for, but at least one would want to return but all makes sense if you want some military umph behind you
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skywarp2203] [#38]

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skywarp2203] [#39]

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Furloaf] [#40]

I hate that this makes sense and is even reinforced by Rogue One with the DS1 shootin' off its superlaser multiple times before Alderaan.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#41]

I hate that this makes sense and is even reinforced by Rogue One with the DS1 shootin' off its superlaser multiple times before Alderaan.
View All Quotes

Yeah, but R1 were just statements. That was a manifesto!
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I really like this show so far - it has been very entertaining and substantially better than I expected. My only hang up is the actress who plays Ahsoka. I just don’t find her very compelling and she seems a bit wooden. I was thinking about who might have been a better choice and Alicia Vikander comes to mind. She is short and thin and has much better acting range and is physically capable as well.

Anyone else have ideas for a better actress to play Ahsoka?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:36:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-1904] [#43]
Now wouldn’t that be something?

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By rbutcher:

She has a normal kid because the dad was human. That’s just how it shook out.

View Quote

To add on, Space animals goes back to ESB and the asteroid eel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#45]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6A8AwsWMAAfPAv?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

EP3 was 19 BBY and Ahsoka is 9-11 ABY. Baylan is much older than 30.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gotigers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6A8AwsWMAAfPAv?format=jpg&name=medium

Fine. Ruin my fun. See if I care.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Besides, Baylon knew Anakin.  I doubt some snot-nosed youngling would've known who Anakin was.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
Besides, Baylon knew Anakin.  I doubt some snot-nosed youngling would've known who Anakin was.
View Quote

Lol. At some point that kid found out!
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Would it make sense for Disney to give us a Baylan backstory series?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Would it make sense for Disney to give us a Baylan backstory series?
View Quote

Considering the Actor is dead, sadly so is the character now.
Page / 180
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top