BCM
User Panel

Page / 180
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems odd, hyperspace is way faster than warp.  From the outer rim to the center in a simple hop that appeared to just take an hour or so.  How can there be an "outer rim" when everywhere is easily traveled too.  Luke wasn't that lost, he was only 15 mins out of town.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:

I think that 25,000 figure is only referenced once, in the first Hand of Thrawn novel. No battles I ever read about had anything approaching even a fraction of that. In the X Wing novels, which did some of the best worldbuilding for the military logistics, just a few Imp Deuces were considered a decisive force in some battles.

The race to find the Dark Force, 200 (600?) mid sized cruisers a fraction of the size of an ISD2, was considered an existential crisis.
View Quote
Yeah, it was 25k total built and spread throughout the galaxy. They couldn't marshal 25k at one time. And the Dark Force was a fleet pre-Clone Wars era Dreadnoughts and that was a threat because that was a fleet of combat ships that Thrawn could throw into one battle. The problem that both the Empire and New Republic had was that their control of space was massive and they couldn't pull resources from one end to defend another. That'd leave it vulnerable. So, you had much smaller sector fleets made up of a first rate capital ship with a bunch of second string bench warmers as the backup.

The largest fleets assembled in the original EU were some of the massive battles during the Vong Invasion and a lot of that was combined fleets from the New Republic, the Imperial Remnant, and the Hapes Consortium throwing everything together to fight off a Vong Worldship or two. And that was involving Centerpoint Station too, where the Hapans lost 2/3rds of their Battle Dragons and support ships since they were in the line of fire. And that was maybe, maybe a couple thousand capital ships altogether thrown in since they had other sectors to defend against the Vong and their Peace Brigade collaborating allies.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Skywarp2203:

https://i.imgur.com/9GtKaIU.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Furloaf:
Originally Posted By stampkolektor:
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
BB - Hemlock said that the only thing they found was the goggles, and there's always that chance of Tech surviving the fall since this is Star Wars.

Mando - why did the armorer choose BKK and not Din to rally the Mandalorians around?

cause din can only walk one. she walks both and she ia royalty

Also much more enjoyable to watch her walking.

That will unite the clans and she's have plenty of harden darksabers to grab a hold of.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
The Imps had Carrack Class Light Cruisers for far out locations. They carried typical two to three TIE Figthers and did routine sector patrols for smugglers and pirates. If they got into a tussle, they'd call for a Victory Class or an Imperial MkII for help.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chris0013:

But there was generally an Imperial presence shown on most worlds.  And I am not talking about putting an ISD or Mon Cal cruiser in every system...but a light capital ship like a Neb B or Quasar Fire carrier with a 2-3 squadrons of fighters.
The Imps had Carrack Class Light Cruisers for far out locations. They carried typical two to three TIE Figthers and did routine sector patrols for smugglers and pirates. If they got into a tussle, they'd call for a Victory Class or an Imperial MkII for help.

Wedge’s “pocket carrier” that he built out of a corvette is exactly the kind of ship you should have patrolling outlying systems. I think it carried 9 X wings and 2 TIEs, though the X wings couldn’t be launched quickly. So keep a pair of them out of space as a permanent rotating CAP. Well, Combat Space Patrol would be a better description.

Upgrade the pair of TIEs to Interceptors or even Defenders. Perfect deep space force projection ship.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Seems odd, hyperspace is way faster than warp.  From the outer rim to the center in a simple hop that appeared to just take an hour or so.  How can there be an "outer rim" when everywhere is easily traveled too.  Luke wasn't that lost, he was only 15 mins out of town.
View Quote
They have really made Hyperspace seem way too fast. In the original EU, it took months to cross the New Republic or Empire.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Din Djarin is THE Mandalorian
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Uh oh.  RIP Din's arm.
View All Quotes
I would rather she wins it from Din directly.  Does not have to be a fight to the death.  Bo gathers clan and house leaders to try to unite them.  She borrows Ezra's lightsaber from Sabine and challenges Din and after a long, brutal lightsaber fight she gets the win by disarming Din and he yields.

Uh oh.  RIP Din's arm.

It is Star Wars. They have a fetish for severed limbs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Wedge’s “pocket carrier” that he built out of a corvette is exactly the kind of ship you should have patrolling outlying systems. I think it carried 9 X wings and 2 TIEs, though the X wings couldn’t be launched quickly. So keep a pair of them out of space as a permanent rotating CAP. Well, Combat Space Patrol would be a better description.

Upgrade the pair of TIEs to Interceptors or even Defenders. Perfect deep space force projection ship.
View All Quotes

But there was generally an Imperial presence shown on most worlds.  And I am not talking about putting an ISD or Mon Cal cruiser in every system...but a light capital ship like a Neb B or Quasar Fire carrier with a 2-3 squadrons of fighters.

He didn't built it...it was captured from an Imperial Warlord.  It was originally designed to carry 4 TIEs internally  in the bow but they converted it with a rack system to hold 9 X-Wings with more up in a topside cargo hold.  The TIEs were moved to external racks where the escape pods were.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
BB - Hemlock said that the only thing they found was the goggles, and there’s always that chance of Tech surviving the fall since this is Star Wars.

Mando - why did the armorer choose BKK and not Din to rally the Mandalorians around?

I hate to see her leave, but I love to watch her go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The Imps had the Carrack Class Light Cruiser for picket duty in the Outer Rim.

Held three TIE L/N Fighters on external racks.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, it was 25k total built and spread throughout the galaxy. They couldn't marshal 25k at one time. And the Dark Force was a fleet pre-Clone Wars era Dreadnoughts and that was a threat because that was a fleet of combat ships that Thrawn could throw into one battle. The problem that both the Empire and New Republic had was that their control of space was massive and they couldn't pull resources from one end to defend another. That'd leave it vulnerable. So, you had much smaller sector fleets made up of a first rate capital ship with a bunch of second string bench warmers as the backup.

The largest fleets assembled in the original EU were some of the massive battles during the Vong Invasion and a lot of that was combined fleets from the New Republic, the Imperial Remnant, and the Hapes Consortium throwing everything together to fight off a Vong Worldship or two. And that was involving Centerpoint Station too, where the Hapans lost 2/3rds of their Battle Dragons and support ships since they were in the line of fire. And that was maybe, maybe a couple thousand capital ships altogether thrown in since they had other sectors to defend against the Vong and their Peace Brigade collaborating allies.
View All Quotes

I think that 25,000 figure is only referenced once, in the first Hand of Thrawn novel. No battles I ever read about had anything approaching even a fraction of that. In the X Wing novels, which did some of the best worldbuilding for the military logistics, just a few Imp Deuces were considered a decisive force in some battles.

The race to find the Dark Force, 200 (600?) mid sized cruisers a fraction of the size of an ISD2, was considered an existential crisis.

Was it Anakin or Jacen that made the decision to sacrifice half the Hapan fleet to kill the Vong?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#13]
They have really made Hyperspace seem way too fast. In the original EU, it took months to cross the New Republic or Empire.
View All Quotes

I don’t think that’s accurate. Luke traveled in a single seat fighter to Dagobah, and then to Bespin.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]

He didn't built it...it was captured from an Imperial Warlord.  It was originally designed to carry 4 TIEs internally  in the bow but they converted it with a rack system to hold 9 X-Wings with more up in a topside cargo hold.  The TIEs were moved to external racks where the escape pods were.
View All Quotes

Ah, that’s right. That was with Wraith Squadron I think? Fighting that warlord that had the Iron Fist SSD?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Ah, that’s right. That was with Wraith Squadron I think? Fighting that warlord that had the Iron Fist SSD?
View All Quotes

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Fenn Rau is rumored to show up this season.  I would assume he may be one of the first Mandalorians she looks for after this episode.

I would rather she wins it from Din directly.  Does not have to be a fight to the death.  Bo gathers clan and house leaders to try to unite them.  She borrows Ezra's lightsaber from Sabine and challenges Din and after a long, brutal lightsaber fight she gets the win by disarming Din and he yields.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K2QB3:
Originally Posted By Naporter:

That would be The Duchess.

Bo-Katan gave her shit for the name. "You named your weapon after my sister?"

It's sort of interesting that all of these people were originally Deathwatch. Bo-katan, the night owls, clan Wren, clan Visla... They all took different paths through the Maul/imperial occupation but they were all Deathwatch in the beginning. None of them were aligned with Satine Kryze.

I guess everyone else got killed in the purge.

I think the whole helmet thing is leading up to a big reveal of who the armorer is, she's kept her helmet on since the purge to hide her identity and the time for hiding is about over. I may be wrong and she's just a new character but the whole helmet thing is odd if it isn't purposeful.

Fenn Rau is rumored to show up this season.  I would assume he may be one of the first Mandalorians she looks for after this episode.

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Mixed bag of an episode. Parts I loved, parts were boring, and again their technical marvel of a digital set is showing its limitations. All of Navarro was evacuated, and it’s like 30 people.

The Mandalorian lore was awesome. Dogfighting special effects were awesome. Small unit infantry tactics were less awesome.

The armorer is extremely cool. I want to see more of her swinging her hammer.

Katee Sackhoff is absolutely stacked, especially at her age. I wonder how they’ll contrive to get the Darksaber in her hand.

Gideofinds Mando and defeats him and makes off with it. Bo catches up to Gideon and wins it back.

Fuck that
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]

https://i.imgur.com/8Y2cpyW.jpg

View Quote

The pilots didn’t have to EVA to get in their cockpits did they?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy shit. I’m a card carrying supernerd and I’m out of my depth with the last dozen or so posts here. Bravo dorks. Bravo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#19]
it needs more of this...

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I want a VT-49 Decimator.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By macman37:
Holy shit. I’m a card carrying supernerd and I’m out of my depth with the last dozen or so posts here. Bravo dorks. Bravo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

If pirates or smugglers were the only problem a single venator with a full hangar would be sufficient to keep a sector safe.

Maybe a second for active areas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Was it Anakin or Jacen that made the decision to sacrifice half the Hapan fleet to kill the Vong?
View All Quotes

Jacen, it was part of what set him down the path of the dark side.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

Man, Darth Caedus.

Kylo Ren is like the Wish.com version.

And just imagine the story they could have built, with the Mandalorian lore being fleshed out, of Jaina training with them to kill him.

Instead we got… Kylo Ren.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#25]

I don't think that's accurate. Luke traveled in a single seat fighter to Dagobah, and then to Bespin.
View All Quotes

I don't think that's accurate. Luke traveled in a single seat fighter to Dagobah, and then to Bespin.
Bespin was fairly close to Dagobah in terms of a galactic scale. Hoth to Bespin was super close on sunlight engines.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#26]

The pilots didn't have to EVA to get in their cockpits did they?
View Quote
TIE Pilots had self sealed flight suits to go EVA since TIEs didn't have life support systems.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Would be nice if they re-canonize Baron Soontir Fel and the 181st Imperial Fighter Wing.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Would be nice if they re-canonize Baron Soontir Fel and the 181st Imperial Fighter Wing.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/04/36/650436b5461fac9a6acddfe155e19c55.jpg
View Quote

Remind me who he was. Jaina’s lover’s father?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Man, Darth Caedus.

And just imagine the story they could have built, with the Mandalorian lore being fleshed out, of Jaina training with them to kill him.

Instead we got  Kylo Ren.
View All Quotes

Man, Darth Caedus.

Instead we got  Kylo Ren.

I know.... don't remind me....

I'm reading Star Wars: Millennium Falcon right now. The last original EU printed novel. It is set after the death of Jacen and there is a segment where Leia has a monolog to herself about how Jaina killed him and how she as a mother feels destroyed. All while Han internalizes the pain in a way of "well, he died a while back. Jaina just put him out of his misery." And Leia is guilt struck because her worst fear was her kids becoming like their Grandfather.

Kylo Ren is a fucking horrible character. I hate that they named him Ben. No Mara Jade, no fight to the death between Jacen and Mara. No Boba Fett training Jaina since even Luke said he can't beat Jacen. But Boba knows how to fight dirty and kill Jedi.

Damn Disney!
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#30]
On Mandalorian:
I suspect the mandos that caught up with Moff Gideon are Axe Wolves, Koska Reeves and some other rando mandos on the Imperial cruiser. Or it could be a new faction we haven't seen yet (I'm hoping for the 2nd option here). The show was fun, but travel from mid rim to Courasant should not be that fast IN AN X-WING. It was awesome to see Zeb in live action.

On Bad Batch:
That was some good Star Wars. The animation was so good, it some scenes it was almost as good as live action (especially the night scene around Syd's base. Reminded me of the planet in Kenobi where Reva chases him across the roofs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By macman37:
Holy shit. I'm a card carrying supernerd and I'm out of my depth with the last dozen or so posts here. Bravo dorks. Bravo.
View Quote

It is a hard job @macman37, but someone has to do it!
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
BB - Hemlock said that the only thing they found was the goggles, and there’s always that chance of Tech surviving the fall since this is Star Wars.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Remind me who he was. Jaina's lover's father?
View All Quotes

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/04/36/650436b5461fac9a6acddfe155e19c55.jpg

Remind me who he was. Jaina's lover's father?
Yup, Jagged Fel's daddy!

Soontir and later Jagged became the Head of State of the Imperial Remnant and Jania went off and married Jagged.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Pirates would tug a large asteroid into a known hyperspace lane to cause a mass shadow and have ships drop into real-space due to the safety-overrides.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mass_shadow/Legends

Also, most people were dirt poor Having a ship meant you were doing good.
View Quote

The whole mass-ship  mass-shadow forces drop thing is soooo annoying to anyone with any engineering skill.

Let's see if we can get this straight.  No shot at you poster.

Rule #1 - you can't jump into hyperspace unless you KNOW the jump is clear end to end.  

Fair enough, if you are registered as a legit trader/transport and there are INSURANCE requirements on your naviputer.
But if you are an insane pirate you should be able to tell the hyperdrive exactly which vector to use and exactly how far to jump.  Couple that with a lot of puter-power and minor defensive jumps are a simple thing.  Pop-pop-pop-rope-a-dope-buh-bye!

Rule #2 - you can't stay in hyperspace if someone drags a rock into your path or can pretend they have.

This one is total bullshit.  If you can't HKV...you can't be HKV'd.  There IS NO ROCK IN YOUR WAY!  The whole "It's close enough to 'force' you out of hyper" is crap.  If anything on your ship can detect this upcoming 'problem' then the anything can abort the original plot without dropping from hyper and adjust plot to suit.  It's as simple as mashing the +5 degrees button on a sailboat autopilot because you see another sailboat in your path.  Or at a minimum you should be able to override the safeties and take your chances.

I had a ship that dropped chaff like Luthen's and threw HKV missiles into the maw of any imp trying to tractor it back in 1988, while simultaneously plotting a short hop.  It will piss a lot of folks here off, but I wept and cried aloud at the Holdo maneuver...not because it fit the story, but because it was my universe all those years ago...and I was glad to see it...finally.

I miss the game.

I *LOVED* the years I spent battling the best DM ever over these issues.  I miss you Tom.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#36]
2/3 of the posts in the last page are serious supernerd discussions and the other 1/3 is hornyposting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
2/3 of the posts in the last page are serious supernerd discussions and the other 1/3 is hornyposting.
View Quote

Get both?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

The whole mass-ship  mass-shadow forces drop thing is soooo annoying to anyone with any engineering skill.

Let's see if we can get this straight.  No shot at you poster.

Rule #1 - you can't jump into hyperspace unless you KNOW the jump is clear end to end.  

Fair enough, if you are registered as a legit trader/transport and there are INSURANCE requirements on your naviputer.
But if you are an insane pirate you should be able to tell the hyperdrive exactly which vector to use and exactly how far to jump.  Couple that with a lot of puter-power and minor defensive jumps are a simple thing.  Pop-pop-pop-rope-a-dope-buh-bye!

Rule #2 - you can't stay in hyperspace if someone drags a rock into your path or can pretend they have.

This one is total bullshit.  If you can't HKV...you can't be HKV'd.  There IS NO ROCK IN YOUR WAY!  The whole "It's close enough to 'force' you out of hyper" is crap.  If anything on your ship can detect this upcoming 'problem' then the anything can abort the original plot without dropping from hyper and adjust plot to suit.  It's as simple as mashing the +5 degrees button on a sailboat autopilot because you see another sailboat in your path.  Or at a minimum you should be able to override the safeties and take your chances.

I had a ship that dropped chaff like Luthen's and threw HKV missiles into the maw of any imp trying to tractor it back in 1988, while simultaneously plotting a short hop.  It will piss a lot of folks here off, but I wept and cried aloud at the Holdo maneuver...not because it fit the story, but because it was my universe all those years ago...and I was glad to see it...finally.

I miss the game.

I *LOVED* the years I spent battling the best DM ever over these issues.  I miss you Tom.
View Quote
When I played SW RPG, DMs hated me because I always outfitted my character with suppressed fullauto slug throwers. I'd kill Jedi on a single roll.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
it needs more of this...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14562/TIE_Defender-1745253.png
View Quote

They want the N1 and Mando Starfighter to not be destroyed in the first 30 seconds...  
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

And the Gizanti (sp) could hold 4 externally.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:

They want the N1 and Mando Starfighter to not be destroyed in the first 30 seconds...  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
it needs more of this...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14562/TIE_Defender-1745253.png

Yeeeeesssssss!

Spent many hours flying those in the Tie Fighter game.

Awesome ships.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I watched Mando and Bad Batch back to back this evening…

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Zeb looked amazing. It really made the Grand Inquisitor look 10x worse.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:15:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: happycynic] [#46]

View Quote
Don't get me started on Star Wars and their "external racks" nonsense.  The ship is longer than a Ford class carrier. It can fit a hanger.  Plus, all Star Wars ships are going to need a hanger to carry shuttles for landing parties and ports of call, and to do maintenance on the fighters. You don't put a thousand people on a ship without some way to get them off and on when not at a port. In my head canon it has a small hanger and just uses the external racks as a rapid launch, recovery system.

Gideon's Arquitens variant makes far more sense as a light cruiser for outer rim pirate duty.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Definitely some super nerd stuff in here that is awesome.  

I get Clone Wars & Bad Batch.     I've also read the Thrawn trilogy.       Where should I go from here?  Preferably audiobook.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Prae:
Definitely some super nerd stuff in here that is awesome.  

I get Clone Wars & Bad Batch.     I've also read the Thrawn trilogy.       Where should I go from here?  Preferably audiobook.

View Quote

Have you watched Rebels yet?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 180
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top