User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those units stay in those states, but the personnel can chose to move to a new state with an honorable discharge.  Equipment stays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happens to federal military assets that are in CONUS?  Do they just end up belonging to whatever state they happen to be in?  So California becomes a massive naval/nuclear power, as does Virginia?  Washington and Georgia become nuclear-armed powers, as well as all the states with nuclear missile silos?  Air Force planes end up belonging to the states in which the bases are?

That would certainly be interesting.  

Those units stay in those states, but the personnel can chose to move to a new state with an honorable discharge.  Equipment stays.

Like what happened in Kazakhstan and Ukraine after the fall of communism.

Bet the Ukrainians wish they had held onto a few of their nukes.

I voted yes. But as others have already said. As soon as I press the button I'm off to Idaho.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Should have been on page one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
No,  China and Russia become the clear world powers with California being up there as an independent country.

So you have a nice little country of say North Dakota. Ok, how long until more powerful countries attack for resources. It creates a ripe opportunity for instability.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What happens to federal military assets that are in CONUS?  Do they just end up belonging to whatever state they happen to be in?  So California becomes a massive naval/nuclear power, as does Virginia?  Washington and Georgia become nuclear-armed powers, as well as all the states with nuclear missile silos?  Air Force planes end up belonging to the states in which the bases are?

View Quote

I really wouldn't fuck with Wyoming, North Dakota, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico and Louisiana then...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My state has no ports, is not self sufficient as far as water or oil...

I’ll break my finger on that button.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
How you know if it even works unless you push it at least once?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Can we wait until I move first?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Alliances would be formed. I'd like to tender my availability to become the inaugural chairman of the Capitalist United National Territories' Association of Sovereign States.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I see the country balkanizing in the future at some point.  Might as well rip off the fucking bandaid and throw caution into the wind.  Watch the leftist "countries" swirl the toilet, while the flyover "countries" prosper.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Alliances would be formed. I'd like to tender my availability to become the inaugural chairman of the Capitalist United National Territories' Association of Sovereign States.
View Quote

At least you'd have a helluva title!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Just for full transparency, I would push that button so fast the room would glow blue from cherenkov radiation.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The problem with pushing the button is that the people/countries who would really LOVE for you to do it are:  China, Russia and the EU.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to do something that those people would REALLY want you to do.  
View Quote
What if my button did an equivalent break up to them?  Toss in Canada, India, Brazil, and Mexico for good measure.

ETA:  I'm sure an alliance of like minded states would have some free trade and mutual defence treaties in place quite quickly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Since the greatest threat to American freedom is the American gov't, I'd press that button so hard I'd push it through the panel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

We’d be short on nukes, but we’d have lots of F-35s plus everyone’s data out here!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#22]
no push button
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#23]
if i did push button i'd then move to form a new union and tell ny and ca no girls allowed
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, but it sure seems like our biggest threat comes from within and this would strip their power immediately. Let the liberal states wallow in their filth. If China attempts to invade I'm sure the states can create some kind of mutual defense treaty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps I’d remember that this country has powerful and malignant external enemies and I wouldn’t push the button.

Yeah, but it sure seems like our biggest threat comes from within and this would strip their power immediately. Let the liberal states wallow in their filth. If China attempts to invade I'm sure the states can create some kind of mutual defense treaty.

"I'm sure the states can create some kind of mutual defense treaty."

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Texas=Yes
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#26]
You had me at "instantly gets rid of the federal government."
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In the south, its MASH a button...
View Quote

Yes, yes it is...

I would mash the button and go enlist in the North Carolina Marine Corps...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps I’d remember that this country has powerful and malignant external enemies and I wouldn’t push the button.

I mean this is all hypothetical anyway. Why wouldn't they though?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What if my button did an equivalent break up to them?  Toss in Canada, India, Brazil, and Mexico for good measure.

ETA:  I'm sure an alliance of like minded states would have some free trade and mutual defence treaties in place quite quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with pushing the button is that the people/countries who would really LOVE for you to do it are:  China, Russia and the EU.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to do something that those people would REALLY want you to do.  

"free trade and mutual defence treaties in place quite quickly"

again

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

again

View Quote
I didn't say all of them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

again

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

again

Yeah because no other countries have free trade or defense agreements lol
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Chinese invasion in 3....2....1....

Anybody who chose yes has no understanding of what power vacuums ALWAYS bring.

In case you were wondering the answer is anarchy and death.

The individual states have no ability to organize for the national defense - and that is the very reason there was ever a federal union in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Just looking at peoples' replies: Button pushers are red staters, and non-pushers are from blue or blue-leaning states.

Fuck off, blue states. You drag the rest of us down with you, and we're about tired of your shit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Historically, it's rarely worked and if it did work, it eventually either resulted in a world war when two states with a pact, also had a pact with any enemy of the other state.

If it somehow didn't devolve into war over some dick measuring negotiation over resources(rarely), said states replaced their loose association with a more unified overarching government, which almost always is some form of despotic regime.

Of course, now that we've shoved out one government, why not shove out the rest?

Button Disclaimer: Will lead to millions of deaths due to war, lawlessness, dick measuring contents over authority, starvation, who runs bartertown. But this time it'll be different...they say. It wasn't done correctly in the past...they say. Contrary to nearly all of recorded history.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The individual states have no ability to organize for the national defense - and that is the very reason there was ever a federal union in the first place.
View Quote
I'm having a hard time deciding which part of your post is more incorrect.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell yes.

Another advantage of living in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#38]
50 new warring countries.  Yay!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

again

Oddly enough, defense agreements led to WW1 and the punishment(lets call it what it was, reprisal) under the authority of a mutual agreement by mulitple states, led in large part to Germany kicking off WW2.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I do know what would happen. Civil War. The euros and ChiComs and rooskies would fund factions friendly to them or else start nuking us in the confusion, knowing that are deterrent would be borderline unusable. NY and CA would start in a very advantageous position. We’d be well and truly fucked way worse than we are now.

No fucking way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#42]
It's 2020, so that sounds like a fun change of pace!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really just the Chinese invasion part. I don't think China would be that bold.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're all much less immediate threats to me than DC is.

Get rid of CA, NY, IL, MA, WA, OR, MI, MN, MD, VA, and a few others and I'll reconsider.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Hell NO! Because I'm not a dumb@$$ that wants to wait for the Russians or the Chinese or the Iranians, or the North Koreans to invade and occupy all 50 of those weakened individual, tiny countries that won't be able to defend themselves against an invasion from any other full sized country. The US military (and all of their weapons/equipment) would vanish with that stupid push of a button, so all that each state would have would be it's individual state National Guard which would be a joke if they had to defend their state/country against an invasion from any real country. Heck, even Mexico's army would be larger than one state's National Guard and could easily start conquering the 48 continental states/countries, one at a time. How pathetic. What stupid idea. Sounds like someone really hates the USA and it's Constitution, as much as the antifa/BLM communists.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The super liberal west coast would have the mightiest Navy in the world, id CarGru 5 comes over from Japan.  East Coast has 4 CarGru.

Texas would have the mightiest ground warfare Army.

The Dakotas would have nuclear armed aircraft and missile silos.

Montana would have silos.

Would certainly be interesting.

I think certain states will form coalitions, but if the east and west coast every joined together they would rule the country.  Ports = Power.  Of course the hinterlands would have canned sunshine.

Oh, and I would push it so fast my finger would snap.  AS long as immigration were allowed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As soon as the US military stands down your life will change in significant ways that you clearly never saw coming.

View Quote
The question isn't about the mil.  I had to add that because I knew if I didn't that's the only thing the thread would be about.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You find a magic button.  The button does one thing: instantly gets rid of the federal government and the union.

All federal employees are instantly unemployed.  

Each state becomes a country with sovereignty over whatever is in its borders including military equipment.  The citizens of each of these new countries will need to set up new governments as they see fit.

Free trade?  Freedom of movement?  Freedom of immigration?  You don't know what will happen with any of that because that will be set up by the new countries after you push the button.

Active duty military can choose to stay with their unit serving for the new country they are in or take an honorable discharge.  Either way when they are done, they get free plane ticket to the new country of their choice and no questions asked citizenship.  Any military assets or personnel stationed in foreign countries will be packed up and sent to whatever state the Feds would've sent them to pre breakup.

There are no other buttons or choices. This is the only button and you can push it or just leave everything as it is.  Do you?

View Quote

That's retarded and you are a smart person.  

You do that and 3/4 of those small countries will be attacked and others will form new alliances.  

Only CA and TX would survive because of the locations and strong military presence.  It would be Hunger Games.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The question isn't about the mil.  I had to add that because I knew if I didn't that's the only thing the thread would be about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As soon as the US military stands down your life will change in significant ways that you clearly never saw coming.

When you have to keep adding * after * and shove off real world implications, you start blurring the line between thought experiment and fantasy.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top