BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dragons cross many cultures, continents, and languages.

Lots of similar pronunciations and spellings.
Dagon
Drago
Dracul (sound familiar?)
Dagon
Coincidence? Think not
? Albanian: dragun
? Armenian: ??????? (dragun)
? Azerbaijani: draqun
? Bashkir: ?????? (dragun)
? Belarusian: ?????? (drahun)
? Breton: dragun
? Bulgarian: ?????? (dragun)
? Catalan: dragon
? Cebuano: dragun
? Crimean Tatar: dragun
? Czech: dragoun
? Danish: dragon
? English: dragoon
? Esperanto: dragono
? Estonian: tragun
? Gagauz: dragun
? Georgian: ??????? (draguni)
? German: Dragoner
? Dutch: dragonder
? Greek: d?a????? (dragónos)
? Hebrew: ?????? (dragún)
? Hungarian: dragonyos
? Icelandic: dragoní
? Ido: dragono
? Irish: dragún
? Japanese: ????? (doragun)
? Kazakh: ?????? (dragun)
? Korean: ??? (deuraegun)
? Kyrgyz: ?????? (dragun)
? Latvian: draguns
? Lithuanian: dragunas
? Macedonian: ?????? (dragun)
? Mongolian: ?????? (dragun)
? Norwegian: dragon
? Occitan: dragon
? Polish: dragon
? Romanian: dragon
? Russian: ?????? (dragun)
? Rusyn: ?????? (dragun)
? Serbo-Croatian: dragun / ??????
? Slovak: dragún
? Slovene: dragonec
? Spanish: dragón
? Swedish: dragon
? Finnish: rakuuna
? Tagalog: dragun
? Tajik: ?????? (dragun)
? Tatar: ?????? (dragun)
? Turkish: dragon
? Turkmen: dragun
? Ukrainian: ?????? (drahun)
? Uzbek: dragun
? Waray-Waray: dragun
? Welsh: dragwn
? Zazaki: dragun
View Quote

The word dog is very different across cultures and languages.

Dog in French: le chien.
Dog in Spanish: el perro.
Dog in German: der Hund.
Dog in Italian: il cane.
Dog in Russian: ??????
Dog in Portuguese: cachorro.
Dog in Mandarin Chinese: ? (gou)
Dog in Japanese: ? (??, inu)

Therefore dogs aren't real but dragons are.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The Houston Museum of Natural Science has several flying dinosaur skeletons, they are basically dragons.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Imagine Dragons
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Imagine Dragons
View Quote

Don't tell me what to do.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you afraid of dragons?

No. In fact, if it weren't for sorcerers, there wouldn't be any dragons. Once, the skies were dotted with them. Magnificent horned backs, leathern wings   soaring   and their hot-breathed wind. Oh, I know this creature of yours  Vermithrax Pejorative. Look at these scales, these ridges. When a dragon gets this old, it knows nothing but pain, constant pain. It grows decrepit   crippled   pitiful. Spiteful!
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A dragon has four legs plus wings.  A wyvern as two legs plus wings.
View Quote

All these years I didn’t know that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Meet Lolong The Largest Crocodile Ever
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I always figured it was from Dino remnants but part of me really wonders if there wasn't a time when men walked the earth with some of these crazy old creatures.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who have wronged me. We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground. Turn us away and we will burn you first.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Something was around for every culture on Earth to describe.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Envy the country that has heroes, huh?! I say pity the country that needs 'em. What are you celebrating? One dragon down, three men dead? Oh, yeah. At that rate, we might just be getting somewhere in about 320 years. Is that what you want? You want a little accommodation? Nuh-uh. These beasts live on ash. They feed on death. There's no middle ground... not for them, not for us. And sure as hell not for my men who died out there today. But you go ahead. Have your little... soiree. Personally, you disgust me.
View Quote

I love that movie.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#13]

I remember seeing a video on an extinct species the size of a school bus!

Quoted:
Can you tell the difference between a Dragon and a Wyvern?
View Quote

That's a pretty decent B movie, on Hulu now I think.

Quoted:
Post flood smaller dinosaurs.  Last ones died out in China long ago.  Some emperor had them as pets.
View Quote

I would like to know more!

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#14]
A few temples in Cambodia have perfect depictions of living dinosaurs, so who the fuck knows.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Were winged fire breathing serpents real? No!

Did the Lizard people have flying cars? Yes!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, read Job chapter 41 in the Bible(NKJV).
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you think dragons actually existed?  Pretty much every culture has tales of dragons existing alongside humans.  Could they have been leftover dinosaurs?  Is it all bullshit like nessie and bigfoot? Do they still exist?

Yeah, I'm bored on a Saturday and don't want to install these new doors.
View Quote

When I went to the Natural History Museum of Utah, it was immediately obvious to me where the legend of dragons came from.

Imagine finding one of these, and trying to imagine what kind of creature it was:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That's my personal theory, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Teradactyl, close enough
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Everywhere has dinosaur and teradon skeletons. People in the past filled in the blanks of what they were and called them Dragons. They did pretty good considering.
View Quote

Keep in mind that a lot of what we “know” about dinosaurs today is also filling in the blanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#21]
If we can light our farts on fire, I'm sure there could have been a flying lizard that could do the same.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a bunch of dragons.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Nope, never were real.

What did happen is:

China is a hotbed for dinosaur fossils.  People stumbled on the fossils of large dinosaurs and had no idea what the animal was or why they had bones of stone.  They invented stories which were reenforced by the fossil teeth, bones etc and called them bones of dragons.  

The same stories carried over to other regions but China has by far the most prolific dragon fables.  Dragons were added to the European mythos after contact with the far east.  

So, Xing found a dinosaur tooth fossil and made up a great story about it.  Japan has dragons in their mythology because of contact with China.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nope, never were real.

What did happen is:

China is a hotbed for dinosaur fossils.  People stumbled on the fossils of large dinosaurs and had no idea what the animal was or why they had bones of stone.  They invented stories which were reenforced by the fossil teeth, bones etc and called them bones of dragons.  

The same stories carried over to other regions but China has by far the most prolific dragon fables.  Dragons were added to the European mythos after contact with the far east.  

So, Xing found a dinosaur tooth fossil and made up a great story about it.  Japan has dragons in their mythology because of contact with China.
View Quote

But St. George and the dragon.......  St. George was put to death in 303 AD. When did the Brits first make contact with China?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes of course.

Ancestors of the lizard people.
View Quote

LMAO
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But St. George and the dragon.......  St. George was put to death in 303 AD. When did the Brits first make contact with China?
View Quote

It is unknown when the European and far east people came in contact but..

There is nothing but land between them so some cultural creep can and did happen.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If dragons weren't real, then what did Saint George slay, hmmm?

Where is your science now, eh?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13440/george1_jpg-2870294.JPG
View Quote

Some poor dudes pet alligator.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

All these years I didn’t know that.
View Quote

And a Wyrm/Wurm can have neither legs or wings.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't say if dragons did or did not exist but it would be a whole lot cooler if they did.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#30]
People talking about dinosaur fossils fail to realize how extremely rare it is to just stumble on a single bone, let alone a complete one. Until the mid-late 1800s there is no account of any complete or even nearly completely skeleton being uncovered. In 1677 the first known "scientific" observation of a giant bone was made, and the conclusion was that it was from a giant human.

To say cultures worldwide all made up the same stories from dinosaur fossils is more far-fetched than saying aliens came down and told people about dragons. A whale skeleton in the desert I could buy, but that only happens in a few places on Earth.

It's also interesting that beyond dragons, tons of cultures have stories and myths about feathered serpents. When I was a kid, everybody just assumed dinosaurs had scales, but now the common thought is that they might have, or even probably had feathers.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Middle earth was just earth a long time ago. We had dragons, dorfs, hobbits, balrogs, ents, and orcs. I think the elves were made up though.
View Quote

What the hell is a dorf?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
People talking about dinosaur fossils fail to realize how extremely rare it is to just stumble on a single bone, let alone a complete one. Until the mid-late 1800s there is no account of any complete or even nearly completely skeleton being uncovered. In 1677 the first known "scientific" observation of a giant bone was made, and the conclusion was that it was from a giant human.

To say cultures worldwide all made up the same stories from dinosaur fossils is more far-fetched than saying aliens came down and told people about dragons. A whale skeleton in the desert I could buy, but that only happens in a few places on Earth.

It's also interesting that beyond dragons, tons of cultures have stories and myths about feathered serpents. When I was a kid, everybody just assumed dinosaurs had scales, but now the common thought is that they might have, or even probably had feathers.
View Quote

People in the Chinese regions have been walking up on them for a millennia.

Just a tooth would be all it takes to start a story. A tooth fossil in hand would be “proof”.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Bigfoot and aliens have all eaten the remaining dragons.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I always assumed cultures uncovered a bone or bones they couldn't explain, so legends were formed. There was a time when the only explanation for ancient architecture was we used to live with giants.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Dragons are a metaphor, nothing more.

Dinosaurs were real, way back when.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I think something large and reptilian was still alive during the times of early man, and due to so much undiscovered and unpopulated land, up until even the middle ages. Did it breathe fire? Doubtful, though I've seen theories on how it's possible. Did they fly? It's probably more likely that they did, and that they lived in mountainous areas rather than living in the lowlands, because lowland inhabiting ones would have been more likely to have been wiped out earlier.

So, my theory, is that it was Pterodactyl type dinosaurs, that would fly down to hunt sheep, cattle, camels, other animals, and even possibly man. I also think that the same phenomenon occurred in the oceans.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ancient man finding fossils of prehistoric creatures (including dinosaurs) probably inspired many of the stories of dragons.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can you tell the difference between a Dragon and a Wyvern?
View Quote

I put on my robe and wizard hat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Everywhere has dinosaur and teradon skeletons. People in the past filled in the blanks of what they were and called them Dragons. They did pretty good considering.
View Quote

So, they are the prehistoric/Jurassic version of a pigeon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Do dragons have shaggin' wagons?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dinosaurs were real, way back when.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

People in the Chinese regions have been walking up on them for a millennia.

Just a tooth would be all it takes to start a story. A tooth fossil in hand would be “proof”.
View Quote

People have been walking up on megalodon teeth forever too, but they don't have any common worldwide stories about the same giant sea creature, nor do they have stories about their heroes killing them. In fact those are probably far more common than dinosaur fossils.

Also, stories don't pass well from culture to culture. Knowledge, sure, because it's useful. Look at today. As Americans, we really don't give a rat's ass about mythical Chinese stories, and they don't care about ours. Just because certain geographically isolated regions in China might* have exposed those people to fossils, and if you really want to go out on a limb they might* have made up elaborate stories about not only what the animal was, but it's significance and interaction with their ancestors (I mean, that's wildly out-there, but ok), it still would not be a story other cultures around the globe would have picked up. It's just not human nature.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ancient man finding fossils of prehistoric creatures (including dinosaurs) probably inspired many of the stories of dragons.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#44]
No.

I suppose people could have found dinosaur fossils in the past and invented the legend of dragons. If I understand correctly Mammoth fossils have been found around the Mediterranean region and people mistook the skulls for cyclopes.

As for our early ancestors, they are separated by around sixty million years from the last dinosaurs.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Dragons were the dinosaurs.  People never saw one alive but they had to explain these monstrous bones they had dug up.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top