User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That fuckin sucks.

I remember accidentally hitting a freshly painted yellow line in the middle of the street long ago.

That yellow paint absolutely fucked up my brand new Blazer. Saying it was a PITA to try to get at least some of it off is an understatement. That shit is like epoxy paint or something.
View Quote

I came over a hill with a sweeping left hand turn
Fuckers were striping the centerline with no signs or flag men. I was riding my  BMWR1200GSA at a spirited speed. My only option was to cross the line. I still find specks of yellow paint after 2 years and many many details later..
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
50/50 mix of paint thinner and a finesse polishing compound. Follow up with wax.
View Quote

I went to a paint store a few years ago and asked for some finesse compound.  They were old enough to remember what it was, and tell me I was old too.  No longer made.

I did use oven cleaner to remove a tasteless mural off the bow of a boat one time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#4]
On my way to the gym today, saw another large are on the street where paint was spilled.  That is 3 of them around here.  I think someone may be doing this on purpose.

1st one
Attachment Attached File

2nd one
Attachment Attached File

Did not get pic of 3rd
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Personally,  I'd take it to a good detailer and tell them everything you said here
View Quote

That was my first thought.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As someone who owes nothing on my 4 cars (2 of them less than 30k miles) and takes care of their possessions, me.
View Quote

Meh, it’s a car. You’ll just catch a rock on the highway that leaves a giant scratch in your paint anyways.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Spill a gallon of paint thinner in the road and drive through it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Light power washing then clay bar and polish.  Never dry rub paint with anything.  Pressurized water and lubrication are your friend.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
chances are its water based. Use denatured alcohol to clean (if you do it yourself)
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Personally,  I'd take it to a good detailer and tell them everything you said here
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Happened to me once, some fuckface spilled a five gallon pail of white paint in the road.

You gotta use a clay bar.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On my way to the gym today, saw another large are on the street where paint was spilled.  That is 3 of them around here.  I think someone may be doing this on purpose.

1st one
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/464793/AE5B1467-6DF1-4170-975B-DB19C1BE9592_jpe-2807825.JPG

2nd one
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/464793/7CFC646D-80C3-4695-AFE3-79703B0F2F3A_jpe-2807826.JPG

Did not get pic of 3rd
View Quote

About a year ago I saw two or three paint spills around town that were all the same color of red.

Here is a screen shot of one spot from google street view, can't remember where the other spots were.

It seemed strange that they all happened around the same time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Try an SOS pad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Lacquer thinner, seriously. When I was in high school I worked at a car detail shop. We did road tar and over spray removal. Charged hundreds for it and all we did was wipe it down with lacquer thinner.

Just wipe it off with a rag soaked in it
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#15]
40 grit flap disc on an angle grinder should do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let's all just take a moment to recognize the sheer genius that we are witness to here.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lacquer thinner, seriously. When I was in high school I worked at a car detail shop. We did road tar and over spray removal. Charged hundreds for it and all we did was wipe it down with lacquer thinner.

Just wipe it off with a rag soaked in it
View Quote
When I worked at a rental car company many years ago, we used gasoline for everything. But Lacquer thinner sounds like a good option, too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Went ahead and tried this.  Did not work.  Think I needed 4 more gallons of thinner since the pair was in a 5 gallon bucket.

Will try again with 5 gallons of thinner tonight and update tomorrow.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top