Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I love this thread, as it clearly showcases the self-centered nature of people.

"It didn't affect me, therefore it didn't matter."

"It affected me, therefore it mattered."
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/20170920_151210-511576.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/irma1-506406.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/20170920_170052-544655.jpg

Eh.

Irma wasn’t a nothingburger.

I was with you up till you made that claim.

Irma toss a table top ice maker through a garage door.
View Quote

I remember this thread about your place in N Big Pine. You ever get it put back together OK?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
PSA tip. Buy a DeLorme Fl gazetteer and pre plot an escape route out of here on rural back and secondary roads if you ever need to. The main highways and innerstates will be useless, their not replacing the old 4' fences with barbed wire topped 8' fence to keep Bambi off the innerstates, it's there to control you and to limit any escape when it comes to a standstill. A nice pair of diagonals should be in every BOB.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well isn't that is sort of how life works?

I'd not expect you to get all worked-up if the storm moved inland and caused a lot of flash-flood damage.....It's weather and there is shit-all to be done about it other than to prepare for it the best you can.

Tell me what goes on in NYC matters to you to any great extent.....Well other than them up and moving to FL.....Only then does it matter.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I remember this thread about your place in N Big Pine. You ever get it put back together OK?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/20170920_151210-511576.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/irma1-506406.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/20170920_170052-544655.jpg

Eh.

Irma wasn’t a nothingburger.

I was with you up till you made that claim.

Irma toss a table top ice maker through a garage door.

Yep. All fixed up. Actually beyond that.  The entire first floor was re-engineered. All with engineered glass. Tens of yards of concrete. Etc.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t believe that is the binary argument.  

The argument was simply about phrasing.

“I believe this is nothing.” Vs. “I believe it was something major.”

Comparing a category 4 hurricane vs a tropical storm, is at best, a bad comparison.  

So it’s not self centered. It’s just what is your definition of a major event?

A category 4 hurricane hitting Florida?

A hundred thousand acre wild fire in CA?

Massive flooding along the Mississippi?

Etc.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep. All fixed up. Actually beyond that.  The entire first floor was re-engineered. All with engineered glass. Tens of yards of concrete. Etc.
View Quote

I remember studying the incredible high res photos that came out a few days afterward because we have family nearby on Sugarloaf. You guy's got really blasted. Glad to hear you're good.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Here in SW. Florida, we've been getting the outer bands from Elsa since about 1 pm.  No wind to speak of and maybe an inch or so of rain.  Certainly nothing to worry about.  The storm's projected path has moved far enough offshore that we are out of the cone of death in Naples now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Irma was barreling into the keys as a Cat 5.  And dropped right to the top end of a Cat 4.

This is a topical storm. 2-6 inches of rain, ~30-50mph winds.

Irma was a major force of nature at 150mph winds.

Minor differences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have half a brain, you know what to watch and when things might get serious. Matthew, Irma and Michael were all nothingburgers unless you listened to the media or anyone not from Florida.

Matthew was the one that caused my power to go out for about 3 seconds. We were all gonna die according to everyone.

@cardboardkiller

Yeah, that 'nothingburger' Michael? Within  a half mile drive of me there are 15-20 houses gone, another 15-20, repairs not completed, including mine.

Blew up from a 3 to a 5 in the last hours before it struck.

If it had hit 20 miles west, it could've pushed all the storm surge into the bay, and done a Miami Stress Test on all the condos along the beach.

I was in New Orleans during Katrina. Chalmette Slip #2.  Bay St. Louis area caught hell. N.O. had a levee/drainage canal/pump problem more than wind damage.

Mexico Beach and Tyndall AFB got their ass 'nothingburgered' to bare sand in a few places.

What part of Florida are you in?

Same thing for Irma

Just because it didn't hit you doesn't mean it was nothing.

Irma created one of the largest power outages in the country.  Nearly 70% of Floridians lost power.   Some didn't have power for nearly a month.

We spent a week, locally, handing out meals and providing clothing to people in our AO who lost their houses.

This type of talk gets people killed, hurt, or woefully unprepared.

Irma was barreling into the keys as a Cat 5.  And dropped right to the top end of a Cat 4.

This is a topical storm. 2-6 inches of rain, ~30-50mph winds.

Irma was a major force of nature at 150mph winds.

Minor differences.

You said Irma was a "nothingburger"

That's what I was responding to.  I think most know the difference between a TS and a Cat 5
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here in SW. Florida, we've been getting the outer bands from Elsa since about 1 pm.  No wind to speak of and maybe an inch or so of rain.  Certainly nothing to worry about.  The storm's projected path has moved far enough offshore that we are out of the cone of death in Naples now.
View Quote

According to my cameras, the trash cans haven’t moved yet.

They’re triple bungee corded down to the house.

That’s my warning sign. After Irma we got one returned from marathon.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Looks like Elsa is intensifying.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like it is over the Florida Keys now.  Maximum sustained winds 60 MPH.   I thought the winds might drop a lot after passing over Cuba.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Has the media posted a story about how Desantis' reaction to the hurricane was inadequate yet?Boy they were hoping for Katrina werent they.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don’t believe that is the binary argument.  

The argument was simply about phrasing.

“I believe this is nothing.” Vs. “I believe it was something major.”

Comparing a category 4 hurricane vs a tropical storm, is at best, a bad comparison.  

So it’s not self centered. It’s just what is your definition of a major event?

A category 4 hurricane hitting Florida?

A hundred thousand acre wild fire in CA?

Massive flooding along the Mississippi?

Etc.
View Quote

I sense a binary belief belief system here, based on hyperbolic rhetoric and personal experiences.

As to your question...
They are all major events for some people.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh boy! Looks like we're in for some fun!
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#16]

If intensifying means "getting a hard on" I agree
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#17]
23mph SSE winds on big pine key.

Key west is reading between 25 and 35mph winds.  

Looks like it’s going to be out of the lower keys by 3pm.

Supposed to be sunny at 5pm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#18]
It's starting to get it's spin on.

Going to be a wet one on the Gulf Coast today.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm heading into Tampa to throw some sandbags up against the office doors and do a 1:00 Zoom meeting with a potential hire. He's in S. Florida, though, so not sure if he'll make it. Then heading home to watch the wind and rain as Elsa goes over my house.
The streets around the office flood bad.  My house less bad, but Irma got me pretty swampy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm heading into Tampa to throw some sandbags up against the office doors and do a 1:00 Zoom meeting with a potential hire. He's in S. Florida, though, so not sure if he'll make it. Then heading home to watch the wind and rain as Elsa goes over my house.
The streets around the office flood bad.  My house less bad, but Irma got me pretty swampy.
View Quote

We are getting wet just south of you now.

Tampa has a nice dry corridor right now.  You probably won't get much for a few more hours.

Alligator Alley and Naples are getting some of Elsa now.  That's probably not fun to drive in.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#21]
This is really just going to be a rain event for most.

Gotta hype up the news though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not super concerned with flooding at my house but I know it’ll probably cause a headache trying to get to work. All the main roads around us flood out pretty bad. Especially sections of Dale Mabry. I expect to lose power for a bit since neither Teco or the City of Tampa will cut back the overgrown oak trees that are entangled in the power lines. Lost power during Irma for seven days when most of the county had it back within two.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Keep your rain to yourselves! Texas can't handle anymore!
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Elsa Update:  As the storm passes offshore where I am in Naples FL, we have steady sprinkles, but still no wind.  The rain only reaches 15 miles or so inland from the beach.  Life goes on.  Even the yard guys are out mowing lawns despite the light rain.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Elsa Update:  As the storm passes offshore where I am in Naples FL, we have steady sprinkles, but still no wind.  The rain only reaches 15 miles or so inland from the beach.  Life goes on.  Even the yard guys are out mowing lawns despite the light rain.
View Quote

Good to know.  Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not super concerned with flooding at my house but I know it’ll probably cause a headache trying to get to work. All the main roads around us flood out pretty bad. Especially sections of Dale Mabry. I expect to lose power for a bit since neither Teco or the City of Tampa will cut back the overgrown oak trees that are entangled in the power lines. Lost power during Irma for seven days when most of the county had it back within two.
View Quote

Yep.  Seven days for me in with Irma.  Sucked.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Did someone with NOAA/NHC get fired?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking at the radar, the green bands in the NE corner of the storm are breaking up over land around the Parrish/Brandon area.  That's helping minimize the rain right now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Elsa has been upgraded to a hurricane again.  Maximum sustained winds 75 MPH.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Elsa has been upgraded to a hurricane again.  Maximum sustained winds 75 MPH.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/gm/GEOCOLOR/1000x1000.jpg
View Quote

Key west had one gust of 70mph.

Highest I saw on big pine weather was 35mph.

28 miles makes a difference.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Raining pretty good in Pasco Co. right now..... winds aren't that bad. I'm well inland.....Land O Lakes

I've got a sneaky suspicion this will end up like the no-name storm in '93 ......and end up being a flooding event for everyone on the W. Coast that is W. of US-19..... especially in pinellas/pasco/hernando/citrus co.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Been watching it through the window here in Bradenton, a lot of rain but the wind hasn't been bad at all. Should be past us by the time I wake up tomorrow morning. I expect to see little or no damage. Even went to the beach around noon to see the wave action. Left the beach disappointed. Guess I will go out there again in the AM and have a look...
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Key west had one gust of 70mph.

Highest I saw on big pine weather was 35mph.

28 miles makes a difference.
View Quote

Thanks for the update. We will be in Marathon in a few weeks and were hoping this would go just as it has, not tear up a bunch of stuff, and cancel our plans.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Finally getting some wind off this turd.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just let it go already
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Elsa has been downgraded to a tropical storm and the sustained winds are around 65 MPH.

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Off to buy bread, milk and eggs

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/team_america-39.gif
View Quote

Yes, indeed.  I usually grab a bag of m&ms as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He's way off. That's French toast fixings, snowstorm preps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Off to buy bread, milk and eggs

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/team_america-39.gif

This guy knows what’s up.

He's way off. That's French toast fixings, snowstorm preps.

Hurricane prep, too.  You won’t find this within 2 hours of the mention of a hurricane on the news.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you have half a brain, you know what to watch and when things might get serious. Matthew, Irma and Michael were all nothingburgers unless you listened to the media or anyone not from Florida.

Matthew was the one that caused my power to go out for about 3 seconds. We were all gonna die according to everyone.
View Quote

Lake Charles, Louisiana still hasn’t recovered from last year.  It was horrific.  But bc it wasn’t the Superdome filled with ghetto, the media and president ignored.  And one woman that I know and her husband died in another area when their home blew up bc of a gas leak.  I don’t even think her area got it “that bad.”  Bc of what happened to her, I’ll always be on edge.  But do agree the Cat 1 is just a day off work (maybe) and sit and watch it pass.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t wish disaster on anyone.  I remember going home a few months after Katrina.  We were ok.  But the depression, destruction, stink, and hopelessness is something I never want to see again.  Knowing people lost their homes and years of memories is sad.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area here, a couple miles from the coast. It rained like I have never seen over the past 24 hours, and flooded the streets, but winds weren't too bad. Ended around noon today. The canals were overflowing. A few streets closed. We lost power for a little bit but I have a gassed up invertor generator ready and didn't need to use it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I am amazed that the actual path of this system has tracked extremely well with predictions up to five days in the future.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#45]
10 injured at Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base
https://www.wsav.com/video/10-injured-at-kings-bay-naval-submarine-base/6788087/
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Final rain tally from the backyard, Kingsland, GA:
Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top