Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This is why barns are supposed to have barn doors.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What about the garage doors that open to the side instead of up?

Like this. https://www.accessgaragedoors.com/side-hinged-garage-doors/
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think cutting either top or bottom strut would take all the strength of the beam out. It would basically reduce to the strength of just the thickness of one of the metal struts. Don't do it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/A3DD07D9-5577-4565-B849-E1A46EE55147_jpe-2005497.JPG
View Quote

That’s what I’m worried about but I’m wondering in welding a plate on each side as a gusset would fix it
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What about the garage doors that open to the side instead of up?
View Quote

I already have the doors
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I already have the doors
View Quote

Yeah well they dont work. So get new ones.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Roll up door isn't gonna work, it needs to look residential
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be much easier to put in a roll up door.

Roll up door isn't gonna work, it needs to look residential

how residential does it need to look?

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have the doors

LoL
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Just unbolt the track and put it thru the opening in the truss.  Why do you need to cut anything?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Be much easier to put in a roll up door.
View Quote
this is what I would do.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I have the same problem in part of the building that I rent. The tracks angle down at the end. It definitely loses a few inches of height but that wasn't an issue for me. Maybe you can just leave them angled down like in your picture?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I already have the doors
View Quote
I'd be looking for a different door type. I wouldn't fuck with the roof supports because of a door. Even if you cut the hole for the door already. Not a construction expert, but don't think "just a little cut" means nothing. That beam relies on all the parts being connected for strength. This is also related to why you shouldn't cut the tops or bottoms of load bearing beams in a house.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
You should have hired someone that knows what they are doing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]
If a man on the side of a cliff is hanging onto a rope, how far above the man do you have to cut the rope so he doesn't fall to the bottom of the canyon?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, I have the same problem in part of the building that I rent. The tracks angle down at the end. It definitely loses a few inches of height but that wasn't an issue for me. Maybe you can just leave them angled down like in your picture?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m more perplexed by the plywood and I’m assuming shingle roof being supported by those trusses and purlins.

Those pole barn trusses barely support the metal roofing down here.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#16]
How tall is that door ,like 14 ft. Just comparing By the mandoor in the pic.

If it is, I don't think there would even be enough room above the header for a roll up.

My roll up 8x8 need 16 or 18 inches above the header.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#18]
This is definitely going to require some busch lite and a plasma torch, but here's what I'd do-

Get drunk, play with my new wizard cutter and leave it alone.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Has OP cut that bitch out yet?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#20]
super low headroom garage door

OP, look at this vid. This is a super low or no headroom install. We did a few of these here and there. You should have some options in the low headroom tracks and brackets available but it may involve someone in the business coming out if you cant source the stuff.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking at the photo of where the track transitions from vertical to horizontal, is it possible to lower the radius to start just above the top roller of the door? You may not gain all eight inches, but at least the angle at the truss won’t be so acute. Of course both tracks would need to be modified the same.

Edit: the video above looks like the safest way, if you have enough attachment points for the motor drive stress. The transitioning top track hinge is the key element.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

i need the height
View Quote

You clearly don't have it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I warned you about that damned thing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’m more perplexed by the plywood and I’m assuming shingle roof being supported by those trusses and purlins.

View Quote

trusses were special made for the dead load/live load and are up to code in my AO
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How tall is that door ,like 14 ft. Just comparing By the mandoor in the pic.

If it is, I don't think there would even be enough room above the header for a roll up.

My roll up 8x8 need 16 or 18 inches above the header.
View Quote

door is 13'6"
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I was thinking, lower the other track to match. Only downfall I can see is having to tilt opener track to match (if you use one).
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i need the height

obviously
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Can you lower the track by 1/2 door panel and hinge the top panel to louver out of the way?  You would have to build the mechanism but it wouldn’t be too hard. The rest of the door would just slide up and behind the top one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Do not cut that bottom member it is in tension....modify the garage tracks....

Going back to my statics class in college, every node of that truss has forces going in and out of it....

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is what I was thinking, lower the other track to match. Only downfall I can see is having to tilt opener track to match (if you use one).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it will work dangling like that and I am going to use side mounted openers for the door. The problem is going to be when the door is fully opened the rear is going to be like 12'6" from the floor. So I basically loose a foot
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Leave the track as-is, and add a jackshaft opener. Going to be much cheaper and less of a PITA than trying to cut and re-weld that truss.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do not cut that bottom member it is in tension....modify the garage tracks....

Going back to my statics class in college, every node of that truss has forces going in and out of it....

View Quote

yes it's in tension, but I need to raise that tension!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Leave the track as-is, and add a jackshaft opener. Going to be much cheaper and less of a PITA than trying to cut and re-weld that truss.
View Quote

the reason behind butting the truss is to get the height on the back end of the door.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

it will work dangling like that and I am going to use side mounted openers for the door. The problem is going to be when the door is fully opened the rear is going to be like 12'6" from the floor. So I basically loose a foot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sidemount openers need weight on the cables if you want them to work. The tracks will have to be tilted up in the back to acomplish this and if your using the #8500 you might want to get pusher springs on top of that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

trusses were special made for the dead load/live load and are up to code in my AO
View Quote

Not if you cut them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Pretty good troll thread we got going here
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sidemount openers need weight on the cables if you want them to work. The tracks will have to be tilted up in the back to acomplish this and if your using the #8500 you might want to get pusher springs on top of that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

interesting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not if you cut them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if you cut them.

BIG PLATE GUSSETS!
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pretty good troll thread we got going here
View Quote

Im seriously not trolling, I knew this was going to be a issue, but I am trying to engineering a soloution.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I feel like your best bet is modifying the door instead of the truss. Like the others said, is there a way to lower the track down and still make the door work?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask the truss company to get you a repair on them then. I do it more than I should on houses.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I feel like your best bet is modifying the door instead of the truss. Like the others said, is there a way to lower the track down and still make the door work?
View Quote

the rear tracks as they are going to work but they are lower than what I need them to be
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ask the truss company to get you a repair on them then. I do it more than I should on houses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sucks they are like 4 hours away
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

the reason behind butting the truss is to get the height on the back end of the door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using the truss as the pivot, lowering at the radius end will raise the open end of the track. Still may not be at desired 14’ but definitely higher than the 12’.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#45]
The correct answer here is low headroom track and trolley openers.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Using the truss as the pivot, lowering at the radius end will raise the open end of the track. Still may not be at desired 14’ but definitely higher than the 12’.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

???
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Im seriously not trolling, I knew this was going to be a issue, but I am trying to engineering a soloution.
View Quote

Probably should talk to whomever engineered the truss to start with.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

yes it's in tension, but I need to raise that tension!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/truss_repair_jpg-2005520.JPG
View Quote
I knew you were going to post this. I'm not doing the statics to calculate all the loads. I just wouldn't bother. Get a new door.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#50]

this is pretty much what I had in mind.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top