Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. My boss is totally unqualified for his job. He has ruined the department by micromanaging and not having the basic education or experience to make sound decisions. Turnover is rediculous. The rest of the company does not trust him and avoids confiding in him.

Yet to the upper management there appears to be nothing wrong which just goes to show you how fucked up my company is.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah.  Had a new boss come in on his first day and had a 'chat' with all of the specialty unit supervisors.  He had us explain what our roles and duties were then he scolded and belittled us as we did.  He didn't like that I pushed back so I was soon marginalized and taken out of the loop. I bailed from the assignment first chance I got and went back to regular patrol duties with less responsibilities.  

They've tried to get other supervisors to take my old assignment but nobody was willing to take it.  They ended up dividing up my duties amongst several people but it isn't working out for them and have gone through multiple changes and reassignments.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am the management change. Promoted from the ranks though.  I hope I'm having the reverse effect.
View Quote

The difference is you understand the nuts and bolts of how to be productive.  

You almost never see managers that don't have that experience who really understand what makes production tick.  You see that all the time with tech companies founded by tech guys that get taken over by business guys.   When the bean counters rule the roost they start squeezing everyone for more efficiency to make profits but have no fucking clue why their products sell in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hospitals seem to rotate management at unbelievable rates.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I work in a hospital so yes.  Going through that right now.

Hospitals seem to rotate management at unbelievable rates.

Yep.  Been doing it for twenty years and have never seen a truly stable environment.  Worst problem is the regular staff usually turns over or leaves when their favorite manager does.  Leaves the patient care areas royally fucked for a while.  I'm exhausted but I could work every day if I wanted.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hospitals are notoious for upheaval. New nursing models get implemented then decertified and replaced with a new hairbrained scheme. All worded with Patient focused euphemisms, overtones of the hospitality industry, focused on profit, with no regard for the workforce.

In other words, greed and manipulation diguised as  customer service.

Glad I am retired.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What eventually happened to the place?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What eventually happened to the place?

it's still around.  the lake location makes it almost impossible not to turn a profit there.  but last i spoke with insiders, it's no longer a market leader.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hospitals are notoious for upheaval. New nursing models get implemented then decertified and replaced with a new hairbrained scheme. All worded with Patient focused euphemisms, overtones of the hospitality industry, focused on profit, with no regard for the workforce.

In other words, greed and manipulation diguised as  customer service.

Glad I am retired.
View Quote

We're heading for the "hire nothing but new grads"  model that drove me away from the last place ten years ago.  They figure that newbs are cheaper even though they end up leaving in a year or two.  I'm relatively expensive to them.  Really sucks the patients are the biggest losers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You almost never see managers that don't have that experience who really understand what makes production tick.  You see that all the time with tech companies founded by tech guys that get taken over by business guys.   When the bean counters rule the roost they start squeezing everyone for more efficiency to make profits but have no fucking clue why their products sell in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am the management change. Promoted from the ranks though.  I hope I'm having the reverse effect.

Not aimed towards mattcz, but the problem is most people who WANT to be in management SHOULDN'T be.  A bad manager thinks "I make people do what I tell them to do.".  A leader thinks "How can I help my people be successful?"

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
currently going through this.......time will tell
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i don't disagree, but for me one of the trickiest things about transitioning into management from the line was understanding that i was now playing for the other team--the business guys and bean-counters.  a manager is an interface between the spreadsheet guys and the production guys, but he has to start looking at the world through the lens of revenue instead of that of production...because production only matters insofar as it contributes to revenue.

when i first got into mgmt, i still had a line employee mindset--i saw the market as an employee sees it.  it took a fair amount of time for me to recalibrate into an entrepreneurial mindset.  that said, i've seen people go too far down the bean-counter road, and lose touch with the production side.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell yes.  I just got a new boss a week ago, and he micromanages the shit out of everything.  I've worked for 4 different bosses in this company (I'm a pinch hitter designer of sorts), and he is by far the worst.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just about every place I've ever worked.
View Quote

This, but the most recent one is the worst. The guy I work for now can be a real butthead at times.

Course, I retired and started my own business so maybe that's the reason..........
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not aimed towards mattcz, but the problem is most people who WANT to be in management SHOULDN'T be.  A bad manager thinks "I make people do what I tell them to do.".  A leader thinks "How can I help my people be successful?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i can't overstate the importance of the difference in these two mindsets.  

a bad manager thinks of the mission as something the employees are responsible for, and his job is to tell them to do it.

a good manager thinks of the mission as something he himself is responsible for, and his job is to lead the employees through it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep about 7ish years ago I worked for the federal government,  then Obama happened.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Just in one case.  Once I had a guy supervise me and I think this was his first supervisory job.  On top of not having any experience being a manager he was a total flake, would never follow up on things and would fuck up all his responsibilities.  If people needed him to approve things or sign things, he just never did them.  People got screwed out of things like their academic leave for a semester because he blew off his responsibilities.

But the worst thing was that if one employee fucked up or transgressed, we'd all get lectured and some new rule would come down.  Usually once a week.  The meetings basically became "why you all suck" speeches. And what made it worse was that he was so terrible at his job, and he was lecturing us.

He apparently was going through divorce and custody battles during this time and eventually resigned because he wasn't meeting HIS boss's expectations.  He was in over his head.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup.  Owner of the business died.  His family hired a smooth talking asshole to take over the management of the company.  Even though he has an engineering degree he had no fucking clue about anything engineering.  He proceeded to hire a bunch of managers that were also smooth talking know nothings.  He also hired a bunch of new vice presidents of made-up titles ( friends from old companies ).  What was once a decent place to work and make significant contributions - became meeting central and circle jerk city.  The industry crashed a few years after that.  They laid off most of the people that knew anything-including me.  Now the company is 1/3 the size that it once was.  They still have all the managers and vice presidents.  I hope they go bankrupt any day now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

a bad manager thinks of the mission as something the employees are responsible for, and his job is to tell them to do it.

a good manager thinks of the mission as something he himself is responsible for, and his job is to lead the employees through it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is frustrating at times to see it, as a manager.  Particularly when I hear other managers bitch about their employees.  That they hired and developed.  

Last year I watched a manager in a department that was struggling torpedo a couple of his employees getting an award.  He redid the paperwork so he got the award for the work he did.  I don't get it, if two of my employees get an award that is freaking awesome.  It means two of my people did good, which reflects well on me.  If I get an award it just says it reflect well on my boss.  

The sad part about that particular manager is he micromanages the shit out of everything.  He wants to know everything they are doing and every decision they make.  Why in the hell would I want that, I already have a job to do.  If I have an employee it is because they have a job to do.  I shouldn't be trying to do both.

Having said that, I am so overjoyed to not be in management anymore.  Just two more weeks.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yep about 7ish years ago I worked for the federal government,  then Obama happened.
View Quote

Damn, dude!
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, happening now.

New site director. The average span of one of our site directors is about two years before getting shit canned and she's replacing a guy that did it for a decade.

So far nobody's impressed. She's in charge of two multimillion square foot warehouses and she spends all day on the floor micromanaging associates and making idiotic changes to our processes. She makes $100000+ a year and she's doing the work of a $15/hr team lead.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Absolutely.  I worked for the State of Florida.
View Quote

Same here, except I work for the State of North Carolina.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good manager also never takes the credit due to their direct reports either. I am proud to say that I have always passed the credit on and the first couple of times my direct reports just couldn't believe it. Evidently they weren't used to that. The flip side is that I also do my best to shield them from the BS from above.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Hahahahahah
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Look, this kind of stuff happens all of the time.. You can be the guy that speaks out and gets his head cut off or you can be the guy that watches the train wreck and picks up the pieces.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#24]
We got a new CEO and Prez in the last year or so.  Promoted from within.

All the change I've seen has been positive, and this is from a very positive company to start with.  I can truly say I love working for and with the people and company I work for.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We got a new CEO and Prez in the last year or so.  Promoted from within.

All the change I've seen has been positive, and this is from a very positive company to start with.  I can truly say I love working for and with the people and company I work for.
View Quote

Lucky.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Yes, and there is not a thing I can do about it except to leave.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Management have been screwing up since before Verys and the Teotoburg forest campaign and this is unlikely to change any time soon...

For those of you who aren't fans of history, here is the cliff notes.....

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Ask any former Verizon employee how the Frontier takeover has gone.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, they cleaned out the managers that worked through the ranks. I think they thought it was working awesome, but inexperience is really costing in this downturn! The few old schoolers are stuck like this
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes, in IT.

One place I was at implemented Agile. Fully half the time was spent on documentation, scrum meetings, backlogs.

You had to update all you did in 15 minute increments.

You could not do any work unless it was assigned to you. If you did, you got yelled at.

It was a complete nightmare. None of it was real work.  

They were charged with delivering working software to the client, it was not accomplished, the client was happy and they were spinning all their cycles on Agile. some days they had marathon 4-5 hour meetings, planning the next 2 week "sprint".

I was incredibly relieved when I moved to another project.  I will never, ever work at another place that does Agile excrement. It was micromanagement to the Nth degree.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
 A bad manager thinks "I make people do what I tell them to do.".  A leader thinks "How can I help my people be successful?"

View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Two years ago my workplace hired an infosec director who drove off his star employees.

The first star employee left a six months ago.  Today, I served the last day of my two weeks notice and my former manager follows a week after.

Bad management can completely ruin an amazing thing.  We had one of the industries top infosec teams.  Now.. it's gone.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, two years ago I quit my once fabulous job. The big boss decided just before performance evaluations that if dept was over budget then you could score no hire than 2/5 (top score 5/5).
Well my dept was over budget, through no fault of our own. We didn't even make the budget and had got a new boss in the meantime. Lowest eval scores ever. Did wonders for morale. Soon after we started losing people. Skilled Recovery Room RNs are not easy to come by.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Yep
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:03:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:29:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I watched a very successful company get driven under in less then a year by a bad management hire.

We had some internal promotions/transfers. The old field manager/department lead went into sales, I was the second most senior guy and everybody (myself included) expected me to take over.
Instead, the owner of the company brought in a friend of his to take the position. The guy had came with a few, umm, issues. He was less experienced then I was, was a small man and had a love of white powdery substances.

Little cokehead Napoleon utterly ruined a cohesive crew. I think it was less then a week before I had a meeting with the owner and straight up told him that his buddy was destroying his company, that if he didn't reign him in he was going to have no workers at best and a lawsuit at worst. He stuck with his buddy.

A couple of months later everybody had left except me. Guy got in my face one day and was screaming at me, he snatched a metal clipboard out of my hand, cutting it. I saw a fork in the road right there. Me walking out the door or me leaving in the back of a cop car and him in an ambulance. I walked out the door.

Place was gone less then a year later. As the ship was sinking the cokehead midget took a bunch of tools, company files and a laptop and split.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#37]
cool story
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top