Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kinda fuckin scarin me here boys. I'm planning on picking up a GLC C63 tomorrow.....

And as said above, while the 43 class isnt an AMG....That biturbo'd V6 is still one snappy little engine that'll get you a ticket ricky tik quick.
View Quote

Don’t worry they are fun cars. Just get a ELW if you plan on keeping It a while. If the current market holds you will not loose much if you decide to sell it in a year or 2.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are going to own something with a lot of extra technology and extremely tight tolerances to bring about maximum performance, you're going to have to get used to maintaining it at a higher level.  Older, proven technology and wider tolerances requires less work to keep it operating as designed.   This goes for cars, guns, computers, motorcycles, and a bunch of other stuff.  I've had examples of both types, some were very worthwhile.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The "high end" German cars are no longer the quality they used to be, Porsche being the exception. You are paying for a brand name.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't worry they are fun cars. Just get a ELW if you plan on keeping It a while. If the current market holds you will not loose much if you decide to sell it in a year or 2.
View Quote
It's a very low mile cpo unit. Wouldn't run from a high miles unit either since what you save in the purchase price will handle a lot of repairs.

If you think maintenance costs suck, try taking a ride on the depreciation....
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
wat

Holy fuck is that for real? My buddy said he nearly died while towing something with his diesel Ford F250 years ago when it went into limp mode after the diesel exhaust fluid ran out on a crazy stretch of road in the mountains. Who the fuck designs that shit into stuff on purpose?
View Quote

There is a DEF level gauge so your buddy had plenty of warning he was getting low of DEF, its not the trucks fault he didn't pay attention.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would not worry a bit - GD gonna GD. Are you gonna get an MB extended warranty?
View Quote
Its a low mile CPO GLC
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is a DEF level gauge so your buddy had plenty of warning he was getting low of DEF, its not the trucks fault he didn't pay attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wat

Holy fuck is that for real? My buddy said he nearly died while towing something with his diesel Ford F250 years ago when it went into limp mode after the diesel exhaust fluid ran out on a crazy stretch of road in the mountains. Who the fuck designs that shit into stuff on purpose?

AFAIK every vehicle with DEF has the tank sized to coincide with the oil change too. It's not that big a deal to keep even a small bottle in the vehicle for emergencies either.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a very low mile cpo unit. Wouldn't run from a high miles unit either since what you save in the purchase price will handle a lot of repairs.

If you think maintenance costs suck, try taking a ride on the depreciation....
View Quote

You can also extend the CPO another 2 years. That’s what we did on my wife’s last GLE. Mercedes has drastically cut back on the amount of 63s they are producing so hopefully it will keep your deprecation very low. A lot of the late model 63s are brining over MSRP.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've had Lexus, AUDI and currently i have a Mercedes E350AMG.  

I'll be going back to Lexus shortly here once i sell the AMG. Let me explain how complex my Mercedes is; it cost me $450 to change a faulty turn lamp on my mirror housing. Once the lamp went; some genius in Germany decided to wire the entire system together.  SO, as INCREDIBLE as it sounds, once the mirror housing bulb went out; the car would go to limp mode and you'd be lucky to get it up to speed on the highway.   THATS how stupid German engineering is.  

Oh, and you cant just replace the bulb. You have to replace the mirror housing assembly; its $450.

Before that, I had a Lexus IS350 that was basically bulletproof; I would change the oil twice a year and that was it. ZERO. NOTHING EVER WENT WRONG WITH IT. The Lexus dealer would get it done in 45 minutes, as i sat in a massive, beautiful Lexus dealer, sipping on premium coffee and free bagels.  I cant wait to go back to Lexus.
View Quote

Sounds like you got taken. Do you have a 212? It's 0.6 of an hour to replace a whole door mirror. I'd love to take a look at your invoice. Where in VA are you?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
No issues with my Jaguar ~30k miles.  Wife hasn't had issues with her BMW 4 series either, ~60k miles.

Everyone has different experiences though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Kinda fuckin scarin me here boys. I'm planning on picking up a GLC C63 tomorrow.....

And as said above, while the 43 class isnt an AMG....That biturbo'd V6 is still one snappy little engine that'll get you a ticket ricky tik quick.
View Quote

Are you buying or leasing? Did you get prepaid maintenance? If buying, do you plan to keep it after your 4/50k are up? If so, buy an extended warranty. YOU WILL THANK ME IF YOU DO.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting thread on new cars, still like older cars, seems that new cars have reliability issues still and are more difficult and expensive to fix
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
He doesn't buy them to be reliable

that's not the metric that matters most to everyone

To keep in our language a High end race tuned 1911 vs Glock.  Both pistols sure, but they are built for different purposes
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Modern cars are VERY complicated. When you get into the premium and luxury segments they are VERY VERY VERY complicated. Long gone are the days of European cars being simple overbuilt high reliability quality vehicles. They have levels of system integration that make Elon Musk and the DoD faint.
View Quote

This is GD where the men work on their cars, regardless of complexity.  They can do it in their garage for a tenth the cost of the dealer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#17]
To quote Mr. Scott, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#18]
can't say about new/current stuff.
But I have been driving the same '06 BMW for about 16 years now. Just short of 170K miles.

When new I had to have a couple of small issues fixed, all under warranty. In fact warranty covered everything except tires for 5 years/50K.
So I had about 7-8 trouble free years driving it after the initial stuff getting fixed.

After that it seems that I have had approx 1 issue per year. At a really good independent shop that really knows the car it runs about $1200-1500/yr in fixes.
I have done some of the fixes myself, usually tools and parts will run $500-900. Sometimes the fix is simple wiring issue, solder wires up with patches and I'm good again.

The engine/transmission has been great. Still driving around on original clutch at approx 170K. The oil pan has a oil leak on it but I go thru a quart in about 3-4K miles so I'm leaving it.

I would not say they are junk. I would say the are over engineered, they handle/ride/drive better than your average car by far. I wish they would put reliability on a higher priority.

I obviously like the car or I wouldn't keep it and drive it for over 16 years.

But I'll say this next vehicle won't be German.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting thread on new cars, still like older cars, seems that new cars have reliability issues still and are more difficult and expensive to fix
View Quote

Just don’t buy the first year model change. The 2014 MDX and 2019 RDX had some issues with new tech as it launched. Usually by the second year all the bugs are worked out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
What a Mercedes is in the rest of the world...

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just don’t buy the first year model change. The 2014 MDX and 2019 RDX had some issues with new tech as it launched. Usually by the second year all the bugs are worked out.
View Quote

I'll stick to the older stuff, breaks more often but much easier/cheaper to fix with common parts
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Those are cars you buy and trade in/sell right before the factory warranty runs out.

Some brands require you to have a backup car to drive because they are in the shop so much.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s why intelligent folks buy new cars with “old tech”. Attachment Attached File

Prehistoric tech in this mofo. They added CarPlay and adaptive cruise in 2020.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#24]
In-laws paid $50k+ cash OOD for a then-new 2020 Lexus RX350. Couple weeks later it was recalled for a faulty fuel pump. No parts for almost six, seven months so they had to ride around in a RAV4 dealer loaner.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That’s why intelligent folks buy new cars with “old tech”. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120442/700BBE84-42F8-4AD9-AD75-BE0C5070C09E_jpe-2268040.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s why intelligent folks buy new cars with “old tech”. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120442/700BBE84-42F8-4AD9-AD75-BE0C5070C09E_jpe-2268040.JPG

You didn't buy that mall queen for it's "old tech"

You bought it because you wanted the vehicle so much you just contented with its 2004 interior design.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You bought it because you wanted the vehicle so much you just contented with its 2004 interior design.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not what I was thinking about but getting there
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 2007 911 and it has been flawless

I just hit 90k 2 weeks ago and just had it Services at the Dealer

only big thing I had a few years ago was a Window regulator that had to be replaced and last year the expansion take for the coolant cracked and had to be replaced.

Oil change once a year

other maintenance that I had done over the years - Water Pump, Belt, Plugs and Coils, Breaks, Coolant and Break Flush, Tires

---

I am waiting on my GLB35 that I ordered last year - hopefully I will not have any problems with it

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Have a friend who likes getting expensive cars. He had an BMW i8 when they first came out. We picked it up at the dealer with like 2 miles on it. With less than 6000 miles on it, the right camera stopped working, the radio had issues and something else I forget.

He recently got an AMG GT53 and it too has a ton of issues. the buttons on the center console pushed thru and had to be fished out. Bunch of engine issues causing limp home mode etc...

I know some of the german cars are extremely over engineered, but is it common in cars over $100k to need repairs and spend weeks at the dealer even when new? Personally there is no way I would spend that on a car that needed to be in the dealership when it is so new. Anyone know any similar instances?

Figured I'd ask here since GD has so many millionaires...
View Quote

Not all is like that, just most.

The Toyota Century is probably the most absolute best car on the planet when regards to Luxury, Reliability and price.

@GoD_tattoo
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you should buy a modern turbo car like a Supra. Then throw a turbo, intercooler and tune on it and hangout with your drifter friends.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's got an icky touchscreen though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A German engineer is sho c ked somebody used the turn signal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be going back to Lexus shortly here once i sell the AMG. Let me explain how complex my Mercedes is; it cost me $450 to change a faulty turn lamp on my mirror housing. Once the lamp went; some genius in Germany decided to wire the entire system together.  SO, as INCREDIBLE as it sounds, once the mirror housing bulb went out; the car would go to limp mode and you'd be lucky to get it up to speed on the highway.   THATS how stupid German engineering is.  

Oh, and you cant just replace the bulb. You have to replace the mirror housing assembly; its $450.

Before that, I had a Lexus IS350 that was basically bulletproof; I would change the oil twice a year and that was it. ZERO. NOTHING EVER WENT WRONG WITH IT. The Lexus dealer would get it done in 45 minutes, as i sat in a massive, beautiful Lexus dealer, sipping on premium coffee and free bagels.  I cant wait to go back to Lexus.
A German engineer is sho c ked somebody used the turn signal
To be fair to German engineers, if they had it their way, the vehicle would not turn until you used the signal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much ANY modern vehicle [made in the past 75+ years] will get you a ticket quite easily if you are stupid.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Often loaded with cheap electronic trinkets and 'glam'? Yes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

Really looking forward to your next thread when a shop installs a rear hatch ladder for you. Also, think we can get another angle to see your thin blue line stickers?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Expensive cars aren't for poor people.
Performance costs money.
Latest high tech shit costs money.
Luxury component integration cost money.
High tech luxury performance cars are the most complicated devices that 99% of the public will ever own.
High end + automobile have never ever equaled reliability to anyone with a passing familiarity with them.

You want the latest high tech luxury performance shit then pay, the loaner car is free under warranty.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I brought a 2017 GLS550 in 2018 as a CPO with 20k miles from the Mercedes dealer.

4 years later, I’ve changed the oil, replaced the tires and replaced the brakes.

It sits in the garage unless the wife drives it, so it looks brand new.  I’d buy again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Really looking forward to your next thread when a shop installs a rear hatch ladder for you. Also, think we can get another angle to see your thin blue line stickers?
View Quote

Did mommy take away the titty too early when you were a baby? I'm sorry. Go get your binkie and blankie and take a little nap. You must be exhausted from all of that thinking you've been doing today.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Everybody knows Jeep Wrangler is best.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#40]
If the recent episode from "Rainman Ray" (one of GD's favorite YouTube channels) is any indicator, ONE of the reasons that owning  at least a MB product is so expensive is that, when it needs repairs, they use a SHIT LOAD of special fasteners to attach everything of significance.

How about special 12 point tapered nuts to retain the ball stud on the ball joints?   Everyone else is the non-Germanic auto world uses tradition six point nuts, requiring no special tools, but not MB.

Buying tools from the local tool truck is bad enough for your average professional tech.  Buying them to service an MB must be HORRIBLE.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

only big thing I had a few years ago was a Window regulator that had to be replaced and last year the expansion take for the coolant cracked and had to be replaced.

View Quote

And what did that coolant tank or regulator set you back (parts cost only)?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
wat

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

A friend of mine likes high-end cars, but can't afford new ones, so he's had a string of BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches and a couple Audis (Audi is a name, not an abbreviation).

Well, about 10 years ago now he had a used BMW 335i. It was a sweet sedan, dark blue, 6 speed manual with the twin turbo straight six. Holy fuck it was fun to drive. Well, the passenger side headlamp decided to leak, and water got into it, shorting something out. The car has a little computer thing that controls the lights, and apparently after something in a headlamp shorts a couple times, it completely disables the headlamp. Buddy didn't know that at first, and he's hella good at research. He ended up buying a used lamp assembly and having it replaced at a local shop... because you have to take the fucking wheel off, the fender lining and I believe part of the bumper. Got the new lamp in, won't work.

He figured out what the issue was. The lamp was disabled by the computer thing. There was literaly no way to re-enable it. IIRC, the computer equipment/tool thing that could do it doesn't exist in the US, so he had to replace the computer that controlled the lights. All in all he spent a bit over $2000 to fix a leaking headlamp.

He had a Z4 after that which kept blowing fuel pumps. There are two of them. IIRC, the high pressure one (same twin turbo straight 6 engine, lots of fuel needed for full power) died twice. It was driveable, but very nerfed. I forgot how much he spent on that.

When he bought that Z4, he gave me three "I told you so's", because he expected shit to break. LOL
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I usually go for the midrange Corollas.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oil change once a year

other maintenance that I had done over the years - Water Pump, Belt, Plugs and Coils, Breaks, Coolant and Break Flush, Tires

---

I am waiting on my GLB35 that I ordered last year - hopefully I will not have any problems with it

View Quote

The GLB250's are having issues with the heads. The GLB250 and GLB35AMG use the same basic engine, the 260.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I was that crazy person, buy a 5 year old 50k mile AMG, 2010 SLK55.
Mechanical stuff, motor, suspension, brakes were tits. That car ran, turned, stopped fantastic.
Especially with long tube headers and tune, little bitch kart wasn’t supposed to sound like that.

Fiddly bits like the power hardtop, well not so much.
Other convertibles have some electric motors hidden away to run those.
Benz has some electrical stuff in there for that too but the heavy lifting is hydraulic and the seals fail around 5-6 years in.
Getting the minor issues relating to that sorted was about $3500 & 6 weeks.
Of course I had nice new loaner Benzes the whole time, no extra cost to me.

Damn fun car though. Kept it for 4 years and 50k miles with no major issues aside from $200 oil changes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I daily drive a ‘15 Audi A6 supercharged AWD. It just passed 92K miles, I have the maintenance records since it was new. There has never been a single part replaced, nothing has ever broken, regular maintenance only. 100% no problems other than it eats tires like candy. Worth it 100%, I love that car; perfect blend of luxury, performance and understated style.

When she finally gives up the ghost I plan on rebuying the same exact car.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wat

lol DEF doesn’t just run out. Most trucks go through 5 gallons of DEF in well over 1000 miles. If you run out of DEF it’s because you ignored ample warnings.

My neighbor’s wife has some sort of AMG roadster from the 2000’s. I think a million dollar race horse would be lower maintenance. What’s worse is that my neighbor has zero mechanical training outside of YouTube videos. He’s a really smart guy but has made some seriously shade tree repair attempts on that vehicle. I think it has sat broke down more than it has been on the road in the time they’ve owned it. What’s sad is that they consider a broke down 15 year old Mercedes a status symbol.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You're not paying for reliability, you're paying for the brand and being able to show off to everyone else that you're rich enough to afford the maintenance costs.
View Quote

Hey, you want to come check out my new car? It's awesome.

We'll just need to hop in my Taco and take a quick drive down to the BMW dealership. It's in their shop again this week.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You're not paying for reliability, you're paying for the brand and being able to show off to everyone else that you're rich enough to afford the maintenance costs.
View Quote

Not even that. Once that warranty or lease ends, the owner gets rid of it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top