Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 159
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:47:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boboluv] [#1]
in the concealed weapon class they play a video where a woman finds a man in her room.  she pulls a revolver from her drawer, points it at him and tells him to get out.  he advances slowly but in an appealing manner assuring her that he won't hurt her and she isn't in any danger.  he keeps saying, "i haven't done anything" as he slowly moves toward her.  he then grabs the gun and reveals that he is a satanist and will kill her.

when asked the question, "when was it okay for her to shoot", the instructor replied, "when he advanced after she pointed the gun and said to get out."  it was the forward motion that crossed the line.  my understanding from this training is that once the old man brandished the pistol and stated to back off and do not get within 3 feet of me or i will kill you, if orange shirt said "i'm going to kill you", picked up a board and moved toward the old man, then it was lawful for the old man to fire reasonably in self defense.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3rdpig:
It's amazing to me how different some of us here see the exact same event. It's also surprising how some just invent things that aren't in the video, or are in the video but are the exact opposite of their invention, or hasn't been reported on at all. The most egregious of these are "fatties came with the intent" and "fatty Dad came out with gun in hand". And there are others as well.

Seriously, if you're saying this stuff you need to stop and listen carefully. You don't really know these things, you made them up. While you may believe it's true, you had to make it up first. And that's a mental illness right there. If I were you I'd stop doing this because it's only going to cause you serious grief in life.

And that's my PSA for the day. Now I'll crack a beer and enjoy the stupidity.
View Quote
yup
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Doom85:
http://i.4cdn.org/k/1537487940814.png
View Quote
lulz
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]
"Go get me a baseball bat/deadly weapon so these guys (who will then be forced to shoot me) will be found to have acted in self-defense."

Orange's brain was plainly malfunctioning on many levels.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By toastandjam:
Dead guy should have taken his anger out on the mattress and then it would have fit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pike:
"...trying to impose his own will with the garbage situation..."

It's the city's rules for use of a shared can.

Retard with the cell phone said: "If it's not in the can they won't take it!".

No shit lady, a mattress/box spring is bulky trash and has separate handling rules. Any moron would understand if you can't close the lid, vermin get in the garbage and spread garbage all over the place. Any moron would understand an entire mattress IN the can uses up pretty much all the space even if closing the lid weren't important (which it is).

I'm surprised Abilene requires sane (even if fat) people to share a single trash can with neighbors (especially when those neighbors are both profoundly stupid and insane).
Dead guy should have taken his anger out on the mattress and then it would have fit
You are a genius! Problem solving skills like that will get you places.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
Who’s the idiot that went inside to get a fucking baseball bat? Did he actually think that was going to help?
View Quote
Maybe he was tired of orange shirt's bullshit and wanted to help nature take it's course?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:41:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Both were wrong, dead guy was more wrong though...

I wouldn't be upset if they walked, i don't expect them to though.
You can't instigate a situation and then expect to be able to claim self defense.
They should have walked away. Randy fron trailer park boys should not have said "suck my dick"
They should not have dared him to come at them. They should have said "if you come any closer i'll shoot" because "i'll kill you" implies that instead of "stopping" him, your goal is to end his life.

These are the reasons they are both in deep shit...
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#8]
This was real?

I thought it was a joke clickbailt story when I saw it scroll by in my FB feed.

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waterglass] [#9]
Originally Posted By netofficer3710:
Both were wrong, dead guy was more wrong though...

I wouldn't be upset if they walked, i don't expect them to though. Me neither, Prosecutors will probably want them as a notch in their belts to look good for when they seek higher office.

You can't instigate a situation and then expect to be able to claim self defense. You don't know that they instigated anything. Dead guy has a loooong history of unprovoked violence.

They should have walked away. Randy fron trailer park boys should not have said "suck my dick" They were waitin for the police in a public area.  The right to Self defense doesn't require lessons in rhetoric.

They should not have dared him to come at them. They should have said "if you come any closer i'll shoot" because "i'll kill you" implies that instead of "stopping" him, your goal is to end his life. Shooting someone in the head with a 12 gauge generally ends in death. If you shoot someone what other intent could you possibly be entertaining?

These are the reasons they are both in deep shit...
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By waterglass:
View Quote
I don't disagree with your opinions on the subject.
I'm just stating that those are the arguments that are going to be used against them in court.

You have to be careful what you say in the moment because it will be warped when it is recited back to the jury.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm just stating that those are the arguments that are going to be used against them in court.

You have to be careful what you say in the moment because it will be warped when it is recited back to the jury.
View All Quotes

Yup. they are in 10 kinds of shit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:11:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AzAgLover:

Being lawfully armed when someone threatens to kill you is.
View Quote
That was my first reaction, but in watching it again I don't think the threats were credible.
He's just daring them to shoot him, while MillerSr is daring him to throw a punch, and MillerJr is trying to goad him into it.
I'll git ma BB gun and kill ya both.
You come within 3' and I'll kill ya.
Oh, yeah? Well, I'm at 3', you gonna kill me now?

Not sure he's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but Miller Jr is guilty by a preponderance of the evidence.

OTOH, if the Millers were wearing badges, they could escalate much harder than the Millers did, magdump on him, and get commendations for it.

What's unclear to me is where the stick/board/bat came from, and what Howard did with it.
Were there other men there on Howard's side making it not 2 on 1 and they handed it to him, did Howard pick it up off the ground, did girlfriend/fiance with the camera give it to him, did Howard's kid give it to him?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Taxmantoo:
That was my first reaction, but in watching it again I don't think the threats were credible.
He's just daring them to shoot him, while MillerSr is daring him to throw a punch, and MillerJr is trying to goad him into it.

Not sure he's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but Miller Jr is guilty by a preponderance of the evidence.

OTOH, if the Millers were wearing badges, they could escalate much harder than the Millers did, magdump on him, and get commendations for it.

What's unclear to me is where the stick/board/bat came from, and what Howard did with it.
Were there other men there on Howard's side making it not 2 on 1 and they handed it to him, did Howard pick it up off the ground, did girlfriend/fiance with the camera give it to him, did Howard's kid give it to him?
View All Quotes

His brother brought him the bat from the house and orange shirt threw it at and hit the elder Miller. Seems elder miller might have shot just as he was throwing it.

Keep in mind they were waiting for the police in a public area, and Orange shirt could have set down quietly to wait instead of taking a baseball bat from his brother in order to attack the shirtless duo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]
It’s strange how these guys always get killed just when they were turning their lives around.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#15]
His brother brought him the bat from the house and orange shirt threw it at and hit the elder Miller. Seems elder miller might have shot just as he was throwing it.

Keep in mind they were waiting for the police in a public area, and Orange shirt could have set down quietly to wait instead of taking a baseball bat from his brother in order to attack the shirtless duo.
View All Quotes

Based on his previous history, that would never happen.  Just ask the mailman.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:
Intermittent explosive disorder?  I have never heard of that, but it sounds like a clinical term for being a jackass whose mouth writes checks his ass can't cash.

Exhibit A.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

Dead guy had mental health issues. I've never heard of Intermittent Explosive Disorder, but I'd bet money he's got multiple assault priors in his criminal history based solely on his response to the two armed tele-chubbies.
Wife admitted he was armed with a baseball bat and threw at them after threatening them with death.

I seriously doubt they are getting convicted of murder.
I could easily see them getting off completely.
Intermittent explosive disorder?  I have never heard of that, but it sounds like a clinical term for being a jackass whose mouth writes checks his ass can't cash.

Exhibit A.
I knew someone with that disorder.  He would suddenly go into a rage so extreme that it didn't seem real.  The first time one was directed at me I thought he was joking because it was so over the top.  Unfortunately he was a gun guy who always had one or two Sigs in his briefcase and another one or two in his vehicle.  Eventually he and the Baker act got acquainted after he was removed from the office by police.

It fits that the acronym is IED.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:31:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IceStationZebra] [#17]
The dynamic duo will likely be found guilty for good reason.  Stand your ground does not apply, or is significantly limited, by mutual combat.

If the dynamic duo had backed up and shut up and hadn’t told him to take his swing they would largely be okay when the guy produced the bat.

I’m 100% pro gun and pro stand your ground but when being video taped and seeming to egg the guy on when they could have walked away a few feet and waited for police, that was the tipping point for me.

I live in a stand your ground place and I can tell you that I will move heaven and earth to avoid shooting someone to avoid the court costs, arrests, lawyers, depositions and everything else.  Plus shooting and killing someone isn’t the arfcom wet dream many here think it is.  Even when justified, I think there’s a part which will haunt you forever.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#19]
WTF did I just watch!!??
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Looks like this thread is a dupe

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Abilene-Tx-alleyway-shooting-over-trash/5-2148185/
View Quote
Yeah but this has 13 pages and going strong compared with the other threads 2 pages. It ain't right but shit happens and it's too late now.

We can keep the other thread going as a backup for when this one gets locked.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By IceStationZebra:
The dynamic duo will likely be found guilty for good reason.  Stand your ground does not apply, or is significantly limited, by mutual combat.

If the dynamic duo had backed up and shut up and hadn't told him to take his swing they would largely be okay when the guy produced the bat.

I'm 100% pro gun and pro stand your ground but when being video taped and seeming to egg the guy on when they could have walked away a few feet and waited for police, that was the tipping point for me.

I live in a stand your ground place and I can tell you that I will move heaven and earth to avoid shooting someone to avoid the court costs, arrests, lawyers, depositions and everything else.  Plus shooting and killing someone isn't the arfcom wet dream many here think it is.  Even when justified, I think there's a part which will haunt you forever.
View Quote
This sums it up nicely.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

A round from a shockwave swiftly stayed his explosive retard rage completely tho.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RDak:
WTF did I just watch!!??
View Quote
You just watched a piece of evidence that has caused the local DA to charge both shooters with murder.

They have now been indicted.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Did the big guy put a mattress where the two short guys said he can't put it???
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Orange shirt guy is one of the biggest imbeciles I've ever seen on an internet video.  That having been said, the father son non-dynamic fat duo are going to be convicted of murder.  You can't brandish a firearm for 3+ minutes to try and gain leverage in your argument over a mattress and then shoot a guy because he's not accepting your version of the argument while standing in a public alley.  All parties should have walked back to their respective properties which were mere feet away and called the police over the mattress dumping.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 6winchester2:
You just watched a piece of evidence that has caused the local DA to charge both shooters with murder.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6winchester2:
WTF did I just watch!!??

Actually they were charged before the DA even saw the video

KTXS reached out to Taylor County District Attorney Jim Hicks for a comment. He had not yet seen the video and asked us to send him a copy.

"Video evidence like this is always graphic and very difficult to watch. But, it is consistent with the charges," Hicks said.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
Ironically, it seems dead guy was right about the mattress.  You're not supposed to put it on the ground for trash pickup, but you are supposed to put it in the dumpster, which he did.  Then the two fatasses took it out of the dumpster and threw it onto orange shirt guys property.  He was in the process of putting it back in the dumpster when the other two inbreds showed up with guns.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 79CJ7:
Ironically, it seems dead guy was right about the mattress.  You're not supposed to put it on the ground for trash pickup, but you are supposed to put it in the dumpster, which he did.  Then the two fatasses took it out of the dumpster and threw it onto orange shirt guys property.  He was in the process of putting it back in the dumpster when the other two inbreds showed up with guns.
View All Quotes

Did the dumpster lid close all the way with the mattress in it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
Who’s the idiot that went inside to get a fucking baseball bat? Did he actually think that was going to help?
View Quote
Exactly.. thanks for getting my killed , all I needed was a bat to show these fattys who the dumpster boss really is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kiran04:
The two guys with guns may have been total and utter morons, but they weren't the ones who escalated the situation.  The guns were out already.  Everyone knew the score, but captain A-hole in the bright orange shirt just couldn't control himself.  The other guy repeated, "Back off" over and over again, even while captain A-hole threatened to kill him multiple times.  It wasn't until captain A-hole went for a weapon of his own and came at the gunmen that he got turned into swiss cheese.  What a stupid, stupid, stupid move.  That was more like suicide by red neck.  And his dumbass wife.  "You're not gonna kill my husband."  Uhm... yeah...
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Did the dumpster lid close all the way with the mattress in it?
View Quote
Ooh, an interesting twist.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6gunfighter2] [#33]
Originally Posted By Baldmonk:
View All Quotes
The two guys with guns may have been total and utter morons, but they weren't the ones who escalated the situation.  The guns were out already.  Everyone knew the score, but captain A-hole in the bright orange shirt just couldn't control himself.  The other guy repeated, "Back off" over and over again, even while captain A-hole threatened to kill him multiple times.  It wasn't until captain A-hole went for a weapon of his own and came at the gunmen that he got turned into swiss cheese.  What a stupid, stupid, stupid move.  That was more like suicide by red neck.  And his dumbass wife.  "You're not gonna kill my husband."  Uhm... yeah...
"Take your swing...take your swing" is defined as "verbally escalating a situation."

There is a great deal of extant case law on this.

Point here being: if you carry a gun for self defense (and I hope you do), you better make damn sure you understand what you can and cannot do in situations like this.  Verbal taunts are NEVER a good idea, no matter how "in the right" you are otherwise.

They are most especially not a good idea when someone happens to be making video of the entire situation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

Jesus Christ!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Why did they go out there with a gun in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

They didn't shoot him over a trash can. They shot him after he threatened their lives, told them he was going to kill them, and then attempted to follow through on his threat.
View Quote
This place is infested with liberal-thinkers that can't separate causality, intent, and facts from feelings.  Goddamn media consumption and public schooling.

Makes me sad. Feels Bad Man.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Jesus Christ!!!
View All Quotes

Jesus Christ!!!
Total bullshit.

Google City of Abilene solid waste.

Ignorance at Tsar Bomba levels.

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Total bullshit.

View All Quotes

Jesus Christ!!!
Total bullshit.

Back to square one...……...
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
This place is infested with liberal-thinkers that can't separate causality, intent, and facts from feelings.  Goddamn media consumption and public schooling.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

They didn't shoot him over a trash can. They shot him after he threatened their lives, told them he was going to kill them, and then attempted to follow through on his threat.

Yeah, but why did they go out their with a gun?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
The father seemed within his rights to use deadly force to defend himself...but junior may be fucked for escalating the conflict by grabbing his crotch and arguing with the aggressor.

I've never heard of beating a shooting on the grounds of self defense after you contributed to escalating the situation.

My money is on the father being 'no billed' and junior going away for 2nd degree murder.

99% of the time...it's a lot easier to just walk away.
View Quote
I agree with this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pike] [#41]
View All Quotes
Because a huge psycho had recently moved in next door who had occasionally medicated "intermittent explosive rage disorder" which had already caused a US mailman to call the cops on Mr. psycho Orange this year.

Deceased was batshit nuts, huge and violent and kept trying to fill up a SHARED trashcan with a fucking mattress and THEN threatened to take the 60 something father's gun away and shoot him through the head, Mr. Orange having previously asked for, and received a baseball bat to accomplish Mr. Orange's goal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:21:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pike] [#42]
Gateway
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:21:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDak] [#43]
Originally Posted By ProudVeteran:
I agree with this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ProudVeteran:
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
The father seemed within his rights to use deadly force to defend himself...but junior may be fucked for escalating the conflict by grabbing his crotch and arguing with the aggressor.

I've never heard of beating a shooting on the grounds of self defense after you contributed to escalating the situation.

My money is on the father being 'no billed' and junior going away for 2nd degree murder.

99% of the time...it's a lot easier to just walk away.
I agree with this.
That's why I am asking about why they went out there with a gun in the first place and confronted him armed?

If it was me and I went out there with a gun...….once I saw it was my neighbor I would say "oh sorry, didn't know it was you".
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I almost always have a gun with me.  Often...but not close to 100%...two guns.

Occasionally three guns.

Having a gun is not intent.  All are for defensive purposes.....or target shooting when I have the shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By boboluv:
in the concealed weapon class they play a video where a woman finds a man in her room.  she pulls a revolver from her drawer, points it at him and tells him to get out.  he advances slowly but in an appealing manner assuring her that he won't hurt her and she isn't in any danger.  he keeps saying, "i haven't done anything" as he slowly moves toward her.  he then grabs the gun and reveals that he is a satanist and will kill her.

when asked the question, "when was it okay for her to shoot", the instructor replied, "when he advanced after she pointed the gun and said to get out."  it was the forward motion that crossed the line.  my understanding from this training is that once the old man brandished the pistol and stated to back off and do not get within 3 feet of me or i will kill you, if orange shirt said "i'm going to kill you", picked up a board and moved toward the old man, then it was lawful for the old man to fire reasonably in self defense.
View Quote
In WI you don't even need to get advanced on.

In your house is "imminent threat" territory and it's good shoot. Been tested too, one case a guy got it with a shotgun from a second floor balcony (this did not make the news much, guy was a dirtbag nobody missed.)  Another some young idiot hiding from the cops busting an underage drinking party on a screened in porch nearby.  No "Get out of my house" conversation necessary.

They might have been conservative about the shoot / no shoot scenarios in class.  You should read your state laws yourself if you haven't.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:26:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDak] [#46]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
I almost always have a gun with me.  Often...but not close to 100%...two guns.

Occasionally three guns.

Having a gun is not intent.  All are for defensive purposes.....or target shooting when I have the shotgun.
View Quote
I completely understand that...…..is that why they had their guns with them?

They felt threatened by where the guy was going to put the mattress but were on his trash area?

When you realized it was about where to put the trash that would make it initially a non self defense situation......right?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:28:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Read all the facts about this case before you judge folks because they have a gut and are shaped like a pear.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Read all the facts about this case before you judge folks because they have a gut and are shaped like a pear.
View Quote
I don't know why they had their guns out for a guy who was going to put the trash where they felt he shouldn't put it?

Has NOTHING to do with how they looked.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Orange shirt guy is one of the biggest imbeciles I've ever seen on an internet video.  That having been said, the father son non-dynamic fat duo are going to be convicted of murder.  You can't brandish a firearm for 3+ minutes to try and gain leverage in your argument over a mattress and then shoot a guy because he's not accepting your version of the argument while standing in a public alley.  All parties should have walked back to their respective properties which were mere feet away and called the police over the mattress dumping.
View Quote
Welcome to the Wild West.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
That's new york thinking dude.

Stay out of the rest of the country.  Having a firearm out in response to a threat is not "brandishing."  All parties should have walked away, however one was out of control raging so turning your back on him probably meant getting attacked. The neighbors likely KNEW this guy was like this already.  And, likely they also knew he would spend a bunch of time fucking with them later as well.

Some of you guys need to look up the definition of some words.  Start with "brandishing".

If your loved ones have mental illness, get them into institutions. The rest of us do not deserve to be subjected to their bullshit. Take them out of society if they can't handle it, or society may solve the problem in other ways.
Page / 159
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top