Quoted:
That's a rabbit

Ed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a call at the office yesterday that a friend of a friend found a very young orphaned kitten sitting in front of his shop. Her mom had been killed and she needed to be rescued, so off I went. When I got there, I found the smallest kitten I've ever seen, and the consensus seems to be that she's around 10 days old. She needs to be bottle fed every four hours, around the clock, for the next week or so. Three of us have adjusted our schedules to make sure she has care around the clock through next week.

We need a name for her and I am hoping GD can help. We think she looks like a mini lion, so if possible, we'd like to take that into consideration with her name. Also, any tips on helping a tinyyyyy orphaned kitten would be appreciated as we all have cat experience, but not this young. She's currently on 2tsp of KMR every four hours.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2uggl0x.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/1z4iwx2.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/2q1zdrd.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/118gej8.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/2u543gg.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/2qnqlww.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/258ba06.jpg
That's a rabbit

Ed

It's a baby Pickles.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Paybacks for eating my hair in the middle of the night. Like, actually biting and eating my hair. Then wakes me up at 3am on the dot every morning.
View Quote

Red heads always have the crazy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paybacks for eating my hair in the middle of the night. Like, actually biting and eating my hair. Then wakes me up at 3am on the dot every morning.

QFT. Been there, done that, not going on that ride again. Pics in BOTD.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good on you OP.

And BTW... not sure if it's been mentioned or not but this kitteh should be named "Jasmine"... just like the rescued lion from the movie Second Hand Lions (one of my top five favorite movies of all time) .
View Quote

Concur.

Jasmine.

ETA: Late to the thread, see the name Pickles has been chosen.

You know what this means don't you?

You have to adopt another kitteh to name Jasmine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Aah yes little one... Part of the price you pay for being born a little lion instead of a big one is that occasionally The Food Guy makes you wear stupid shit.

Persevere and later tonight you can cough hairballs in his shoes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Bob approves of this thread . . .

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Good looking feline. He looks young and Bob is a great name.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
ARF I need your help. Pickles has taken to clawing the shit out of any and everything she can. I will not be declawing her, but do trim her nails about once a week to limit the damage. She has many scratch pads and loves to nap on them....but won't scratch on them. I need to find some sort of cat scratch post that will look decent in my living room, as I am not a fan of the crappy looking traditional cat posts. Is there something that looks clean and won't make it look like I'm a crazy cat guy? Something that blends in with the rest of the house.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Doublestick tape wherever she's clawing now, catnip on an acceptable scratching surface.  Hiss at her and ignore her when she claws the wrong stuff, praise her and give her treats when she claws the right stuff.  

There's some not-totally-terrible scratching posts out on amazon or wherever but you can also make something pretty easily, just wrap something in half inch sisal rope.  You can really work catnip into the rope before you secure it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ARF I need your help. Pickles has taken to clawing the shit out of any and everything she can. I will not be declawing her, but do trim her nails about once a week to limit the damage. She has many scratch pads and loves to nap on them....but won't scratch on them. I need to find some sort of cat scratch post that will look decent in my living room, as I am not a fan of the crappy looking traditional cat posts. Is there something that looks clean and won't make it look like I'm a crazy cat guy? Something that blends in with the rest of the house.
View Quote

Some cats demand vertical scratching surfaces, unfortunately.  My cat will not strop on scratch pads or anything else that's horizontal, which irritated the hell out of me at first, until I just broke down and bought a traditional one.  He will only scratch on a post that is vertical.  Your cat may be the same.  Part of the reason cats scratch is to stretch their muscles, which is easier to do on a vertical surface.

There are posts out there that aren't terrible looking.  I'd poke around on amazon until you find something you can live with.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Pookie!!    Looks like a Pookie.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Some cats demand vertical scratching surfaces, unfortunately.  My cat will not strop on scratch pads or anything else that's horizontal, which irritated the hell out of me at first, until I just broke down and bought a traditional one.  He will only scratch on a post that is vertical.  Your cat may be the same.  Part of the reason cats scratch is to stretch their muscles, which is easier to do on a vertical surface.

There are posts out there that aren't terrible looking.  I'd poke around on amazon until you find something you can live with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. It's also worth mentioning that the taller the post, the better. Cats that like the vertical posts usually like to stretch up as high as they can when they scratch.

I have seen stuff like end-tables and such that have scratching surfaces built into them, but they tend to be quite costly.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Cat scratching stuff is part of life.  My cat tries, but was declawed by her previous owner.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cat scratching stuff is part of life.  My cat tries, but was declawed by her previous owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Declawing is just cruel! I would put an animal down before I'd do that.

Declawing traditionally involves the amputation of the last bone of each toe. If performed on a human being, it would be like cutting off each finger at the last knuckle. It is an unnecessary surgery that provides no medical benefit to the cat.May 12, 2014

attrib humane society.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Firewood log.  Clean it off of course, make sure no termites and bugs.  Nail it upright on base.  One for each cat.  Worked for us
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is actually an easy problem to fix.  I say this as a guy with over four decades of experience with living with cats, so trust me, this WILL work.

First, buy the most expensive scratching post you can find.  Then, buy a really expensive new couch.  See which one the kitty likes best (spoiler alert: it will be the couch.) Then just learn to live with it, using your (pristine and untouched) fancy scratching post as a sort of cover to pretend you are "doing something about it" when friends and relations see the damage to the couch.

You're welcome.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Declawing traditionally involves the amputation of the last bone of each toe. If performed on a human being, it would be like cutting off each finger at the last knuckle. It is an unnecessary surgery that provides no medical benefit to the cat.May 12, 2014

attrib humane society.

http://i.imgur.com/HdO95U6.jpg
View Quote

Yes, I'm aware of that.  Other cats I had were not declawed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

attrib humane society.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

attrib humane society.

Declawing can open a home to an animal that wouldn't have one without it.  If you could ask them they'd probably say "take the claws, let me keep my nuts!"
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I staple gunned a piece of jute to a vertical surface (post and beam house) that scratches the itch.  The cat uses it daily.

In other words, be the crazy cat guy.  You find solutions to problems.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#20]
my kids want to know if you named her Pickles after the protagonist of this classic epic of English Literature?

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not supposed to benefit the cat, it's supposed to benefit the owner...but it does benefit the cat, it keeps them from becoming homeless.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Soft Paws nail covers, along with the above suggestions to train her to use appropriate surfaces. Lots of praise when she does, etc.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Declawing can open a home to an animal that wouldn't have one without it.  If you could ask them they'd probably say "take the claws, let me keep my nuts!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

attrib humane society.

No, they wouldn't. Let's see how you like getting the first joint of each finger chopped off.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Get a scratching post, spread catnip on it. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This. It's also worth mentioning that the taller the post, the better. Cats that like the vertical posts usually like to stretch up as high as they can when they scratch.

I have seen stuff like end-tables and such that have scratching surfaces built into them, but they tend to be quite costly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All this.

The sure fire methods I've used are the following:
1)  Vertical
2)  Stable
3)  High enough for the cat to get full stretch
4)  Sisal, cats love the feeling of sisal
5)  NO carpet on the actual scratching surface

I've never had an issue with cats scratching anything but the posts.

Stable is VERY important, you need a good base.  My cats have been on the larger side, and can reach almost 4' so sometimes a 22.5 degree custom built sisal is better for stability.  Yes, my cats have been that big.

I don't like carpet on the scratching surface, because it feels just like...well...carpet.  The cat will liken it to your actual carpet and couch ends.

If you're handy, I suggest making your own out of some 3/4 ply, 4x4 non treated lumber and a quality sisal rope.  Very easily done, inexpensive and cat's love it.

Think of something like this.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#26]
we have 4 cats. one of which was determined to fuck up everything we owned by scratching it.
we have several scratching post of all types scattered here and there.
i decided to start looking for other ideas, found this on amazon.
cheap and the troublemaker loves it and now leaves everything else alone.
matter o fact all the cats seem to love working the claws on these things.
I have 4 or 5 scattered around the house , 5 bucks ea and they last a few months

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018N38P2

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#27]
One of our cats wanted nothing to do with scratching posts made of rope, cardboard, fabric, or carpet. His thing was wood. An unsplit piece of firewood stood on its end satisfied him, and when it got ragged, we could burn it and bring in another one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Do any of you cat geniuses have advice about getting an older cat to accept a new kitten?

Background: had 2 fixed male cats, one ~10yrs old, and one ~3 years old, friendly, indoor/outdoor cats that probably spend 75% of their time inside.  Older cat dies.  A couple weeks later get new 3 month old kitten, existing cat is SUPER pissed off, and basically won't come inside anymore.  If the kitten is out of the house or confined, I may be able to coax him in, but mainly he just sits outside on a lawn chair now.
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top