User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes.

Push hard then release clutch......   Vrooom!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THey should try to PUSH START THEM

Yes.

Can you actually push start a modern ICE car? Considering that the number of modern ICEs sold with a manual is in like single digit percentages? And even the manuals probably have a bunch of nanny electronic bullshit in them that will freak the fuck out if you try.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Too bad they don’t have any other options besides that one supercharger.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Can you actually push start a modern ICE car? Considering that the number of modern ICEs sold with a manual is in like single digit percentages? And even the manuals probably have a bunch of nanny electronic bullshit in them that will freak the fuck out if you try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
THey should try to PUSH START THEM

Yes.

Nope, completely or almost dead battery won't allow the computer to run as it'll stay shut down to protect itself and if the fuel pump can't make pressure, it won't feed fuel to the cylinders. There has to be a minimum voltage to even start.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nope, completely or almost dead battery won't allow the computer to run as it'll stay shut down to protect itself and if the fuel pump can't make pressure, it won't feed fuel to the cylinders. There has to be a minimum voltage to even start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This was a big component in my buying a Tesla- I have a few older vehicles, HMMWV, Honda S2000, and a Honda Crosstour, all over 10 years old.  I can still wrench on all of them, they're simple and don't have any of the new complications we see in modern stuff. Almost every new vehicle makes it nearly impossible for a shade-tree mechanic to actually repair without a $8k computer.  Given that situation, I want something that has way less moving parts and is less likely to have one of the 10,000 components eventually fail.  Whether that actually works out remains to be seen, but that was my thought behind it. They require basically no maintenance and as someone who drives short distances or flies, that's a big selling point.  The brutal acceleration and tax credits didn't hurt, either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks like the perfect business opportunity to haul in 2-3 20-25KVA diesel generators mounted on a trailer and charge $150-$250 a charge.
Cash only, pay up or shut up.
View Quote

You're a day late and a dollar short.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some enterprising youths done went and cut all the catalytic converters off every single one of them abandoned cars.

What's the time frame for that?  Based on the amps and whatnot, would each one need to be plugged in for hours to get enough electrons in it to be able to limp on somewhere else?
View Quote

If they found the cat to cut off they’re smarter than me
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They are in chicago, it gets cold and crappy there every winter. It's not like ''OMG, we're going to get a couple days of below 32f temps!!!!'' like in a southern state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go home and plug it in.

Oh wait, you don't have a home, rent, and are totally dependent on a very few chargers that take up to an hour to top you off.

Idiot.

They are in chicago, it gets cold and crappy there every winter. It's not like ''OMG, we're going to get a couple days of below 32f temps!!!!'' like in a southern state.

This. Now, the extreme cold (subzero teens-twenties) only lasts a few days, but single digit subzero temps is normal and can go on for a couple weeks. Happens every year.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As someone who commuted every day on I-294 (until I retired 3 months ago), I can tell you that there are 87,000 shit-tons of Tesla's in the Chicagoland area.
View Quote

Yeah, I see tons of them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183699/IMG_4253_jpeg-3095579.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah -  it's not an EV problem, it's an idiot problem.  But it makes for a good story.

Quoted:

I know, it's amazing how fast GD is to swallow mainstream media cock juice when it comes to an anti-EV/anti-Musk thread.  There are likely 50 supercharging stations with ten times as many superchargers in Chicago.

It's like running out of gas because one gas station out of a hundred was broken.

When it comes to EV's, GD runs on emotions not intelligence.  Like menopausal women.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Need the pic of a truck with a generator in the back the police department used to charge their electric police vehicles at times.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know, it's amazing how fast GD is to swallow mainstream media cock juice when it comes to an anti-EV/anti-Musk thread.  There are likely 50 supercharging stations with ten times as many superchargers in Chicago.

It's like running out of gas because one gas station out of a hundred was broken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a recent study that found about half of the nation’s EV chargers don’t work - ether the chargers themselves are broken or they couldn’t process credit cards.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There was a recent study that found about half of the nation’s EV chargers don’t work - ether the chargers themselves are broken or they couldn’t process credit cards.
View Quote

How many of them were Electrify America/EVgo/ChargePoint vs the Tesla network?  There's a reason that the industry is adopting the Tesla standard.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a hard time feeling sorry for any knucklehead that drives a Tesla.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
If only we had 100 million EV's during a reginal freeze.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does that study show the percentage of each charging system, eg Tesla, EVgo, ChargePoint, Energizer Bunny, etc?

Tesla probably has the best system around.

If you can give a link for that article please post it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Flip side is the insurance rates will drop faster than the temperature because the car thefts for Tesla will go down
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've wondered this myself. I've got a WRX with a manual transmission and push button start. You can press the start button twice without the clutch pressed in, and it will be in normal operating mode - just not running. I imagine you could push start it like this.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like the perfect business opportunity to haul in 2-3 20-25KVA diesel generators mounted on a trailer and charge $150-$250 a charge.

I wonder how long before that trailer turns a profit? Ever?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
that reporter has a YUGE nose and gross lips
View Quote

That's not a nose, it's a ball rest
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck ev’s
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wonder how long before that trailer turns a profit? Ever?
View Quote

My guess is never.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lightningemotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/lightning_mobile_01_1280px-1024x533.jpg

Competition is a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Chicagoland Tesla owner here... I have more feedback than you...
View Quote

Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Teslas are already the least-stolen.  They aren't easy to break into and start.
View Quote

wrong. even car thieves don't wanna be seen driving that gay-ass shit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thank you for your service.
View Quote

Thank you for adding to the discussion.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:35:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Chicagoland Tesla owner here.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#31]
How many Tesla chargers out there?

How many not working?

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

and if you are always using pay chargers are you even getting the benefit of cheaper electricity aka the reason most people claim to want one? Doesn't it come really close to being similar in cost to gas? Why shoot yourself in the nuts like that if you can't even use "cheap electricity"

(also, electricity is "cheap" in chicago because they pollute the entire state with subsidized windmills that send it all up north, leaving the rest of the state with fucked over electric rates that are over 2x as much)
View Quote

More.  Like 59 cents / kwh.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

These EV threads are a hoot.

I pay $0.10/kwh after 9pm where I live. My daily use costs under a dollar to top off.

Chicago isn’t much more- Averages about $0.15/kwh.

$0.59- lmfao even SoCal is half that, peak.
https://www.ecowatch.com/electricity/rates/il/chicago

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Tow truck drivers are probably slammed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:06:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I pay $0.10/kwh after 9pm where I live. My daily use costs under a dollar to top off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The question/answer was about rates charged at "the pump" and apartment dwellers and the like that would use them exclusively because of having limited other options.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#36]
The EV horror stories continue to write themselves.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:16:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is interesting.  Tesla chargers are considered the best around.  Ideally we will find out what caused the problem.  

There are Tesla chargers all over and many in the area that has been plagued by severe cold.   Have there been similar problems in other places?

If you are navigating to a charging site does the Tesla system advice how many chargers are there and how many are working?

Does it advice how many people are going there?
View Quote

would think wear and tear and some plastic and metal gets brittle in extreme cold.  could simply be ice formed over the plug and cannot make a connection.

never used one but aware of the plug shapes.   a division of my company makes chargers
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They were being routed to the charging station. At least some of them.

What temp is the cutoff for a Tesla BMS to stop charging? I know on the battery system I tested, the BMS shut down activities if temps were too high or too low.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh a charging station broke and the users couldn't figure that out.

They were being routed to the charging station. At least some of them.

What temp is the cutoff for a Tesla BMS to stop charging? I know on the battery system I tested, the BMS shut down activities if temps were too high or too low.

Lower than -40.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2699738_Tesla-being-tested-in-Alberta-outside-tonight-at-extreme-low-temps.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not Tesla's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This was a big component in my buying a Tesla- I have a few older vehicles, HMMWV, Honda S2000, and a Honda Crosstour, all over 10 years old.  I can still wrench on all of them, they're simple and don't have any of the new complications we see in modern stuff. Almost every new vehicle makes it nearly impossible for a shade-tree mechanic to actually repair without a $8k computer.  Given that situation, I want something that has way less moving parts and is less likely to have one of the 10,000 components eventually fail.  Whether that actually works out remains to be seen, but that was my thought behind it. They require basically no maintenance and as someone who drives short distances or flies, that's a big selling point.  The brutal acceleration and tax credits didn't hurt, either.
View Quote

less moving parts, its true a lot less.  whatever is there though is expensive and a lot of battery packs cost what a used or shitty new vehicle cost alone.  10-35k for a battery replacement is batshit crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

maybe now,  charging stations from 2022-2023 almost doubled.   same kinda plans for the next couple years.  before 22 was a lot less of them.   Seeing new ones popping up.   3 places by me have tesla chargers that I know of offhand.  the local mall has them and have never seen it full of cars.  South of the Border just added some, and they just opened a station by itself. not sure if it was running or not.  no cars but it was all lit up.  just a parking lot and no buildings.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

average charge time you wait and cost total?    daily or once a week?  just curious.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:46:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

average charge time you wait and cost total?    daily or once a week?  just curious.
View Quote

My use case is goofy. I have a lot of different vehicles and don’t drive more than 4-5,000 miles a year, total. I’ve never needed to wait for a Supercharger, but haven’t had to use one many times yet. As far as the 32a 240v charger I have at home, I average 5-20kw per day- $0.50-2.50 a day. I plug it in when I get home, it’s set to charge itself at 9pm, so it’s ready to go in the morning. I’d guess it takes an hour or so each night, depending on usage. I haven’t been in a position where I needed to charge and then hit the road again, so I can’t say. If I’m going that kind of distance, I’d be taking another vehicle, honestly.

There’s a lot of info now on the battery and how to preserve it. Take it with a grain of salt, but they’re saying 300,000-500,000 miles before a >70% degradation based on older batteries and with an assumed 80% full charge regular use.

I would definitely not ONLY own an EV, but there’s definitely a case for my needs. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:59:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Electric Vehicles - a bad idea executed well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Desperate Tesla owners in and around Chicago were seen trying to charge their vehicles with no luck amid frigid temperatures that have gripped the Midwest.

Charging stations have essentially turned into car graveyards in recent days as temperatures have dropped to the negative double digits, Fox Chicago reported. 

"Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent," Tyler Beard, who had been trying to recharge his Tesla at an Oak Brook, Illinois Tesla supercharging station since Sunday afternoon, told the news outlet. "And this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday."

OHH NOOOO TESLA BROS WE GOT TOO COCKY
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#47]
EV's ARE for Suckers!
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Is this a case of broken chargers or cars discharged too low to keep the battery warm enough to charge? How long does a cold soaked battery take to warm up to charging temp?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Brodozer with jelled diesel says "Hold my (frozen) beer"
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top