Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If you organize them you don't get to dump out several huge jars on the bench and curse while you sift through them.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a "Thread Checker" off Amazon:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/8123GWwWgwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Grab a Nut Bolt Thread Gauge as well:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71qYnLGx%2BxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
This is what I did.

I also bought stacking organizer boxes from Amazon and found a fastener organization chart of the internet, which I printer up, then cut out all the pictures and stuck them on all the cubbies.

My shiznit is as organized as I need it now and finding fasteners is faultlessly easy - I bought 5 boxes and had two, plus a big Dewalt box, and I used all but half the cubbies.

Trust me, my life has been better since.

This is The Way.
It'll make your garage time dealing with hardware waaaaaaaaaay easier.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I live close enough to the hardware store, its faster for me to go buy what i need than to have to search through mason jars and coffee cans.

I do keep a supply of fasteners on hand.  But not a ton of different flavors.  I have certain sizes of screws.  I keep them in the factory box on a shelf.  And when i have a project, i already know what screws i have, and i tend to design my project with those fasteners in mind.

I figure if you have a ton of oddball nuts and bolts, you'll dig past those and have to move them a hundred times before you ever need them.  I'd rather not.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Moving the trashcan closer to the hardware is probably the best solution overall.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have some of the harbor freight wall mount plastic bin systems.  I could probably organize them better through.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a few of these from McMaster Carr for my shop

https://i.ibb.co/C2QMGmn/7-AE7659-C-A645-4166-8-FDB-15-E7-C3-CA6-B73.jpg
View Quote

I've got 3 similar to this. But all the drawers in mine are all the same size as the larger ones at the bottom of the posted photo. I've got each drawer labeled with what's in them.

For screws/nails that I use a lot of, I keep them in metal .30 caliber ammo cans. It's easy to just grab a can of screws/nails and take them to wherever I need them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Dump them in a junk drawer!

I don't have anywhere near enough patience or desire to sort that shit out. As long as the layer isn't too deep, I can find what I need pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dump them in a junk drawer!

I don't have anywhere near enough patience or desire to sort that shit out. As long as the layer isn't too deep, I can find what I need pretty quickly.
View Quote

My collection gets slowly dumped from bucket to bucket as I scan for what I'm after.  It also helps me keep the catalog in my head up to date.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is my method
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
mix em all up and toss em in a big drawer.

This is my method

You keep using that word "method." I don't think you know what that word means
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stanley organizers. Made in USA.

https://i.ibb.co/G3xB2Jx/IMG-20200404-162929229.jpg
View Quote

This is The Way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Save the aggravation. Junk them and get the right fasteners for the job when you need them.  A decent organization system that breaks down nuts by size, fasteners by size, screws from bolts from machine screws, washers by size, will cost more than all that shit is worth. Keep a couple trays of everyday small screws about and donate the rest to the landfill.
View Quote
This, I rarely find anything of use in junk drawers anyways.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Smart man. Say nothing about time spent going to search for what you need.

I'm still working on it but I bought the Durham cabinet and took all the bigger bins out and replaced them with smaller 3"x4"x7" Akro bins, Set up like this, in between bins on the doors and the bins on the back wall, there is 8" of dead space. I am putting three Durham bins stacked on on another, bolted together in a frame, that will slide right/left on a track. These will hold some of the nuts and washers. I also have another big steel cabinet with removable drawers that I use for some hardware. That cabinet also has the 3"x4"x7" Akro bins in about half of the drawers, The others drawers are filled with pharmacy pill bottles with small hardware. I'm trying to get rid of the open bins as they collect "stuff" over time on the hardware. :(

https://www.zoro.com/durham-mfg-bin-cabinet-inds-14-ga-227-bins-red-ssc-227-1795/i/G2200040/?recommended=true

Stacking three of these and building a frame around them is where I am now with this project.

https://www.zoro.com/durham-mfg-prime-cold-rolled-steel-pigeonhole-bin-unit-4-34-in-d-x-gray-314-95/i/G2180342/?recommended=true

ETA....

Entire big bin which is about 600 pounds empty, is on a steel cart with six wheels under it so it can be moved within the shop if absolutely necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all the shortages and high odds that it'll get way worse, the last thing I'd do is throw away hardware.

Smart man. Say nothing about time spent going to search for what you need.

I'm still working on it but I bought the Durham cabinet and took all the bigger bins out and replaced them with smaller 3"x4"x7" Akro bins, Set up like this, in between bins on the doors and the bins on the back wall, there is 8" of dead space. I am putting three Durham bins stacked on on another, bolted together in a frame, that will slide right/left on a track. These will hold some of the nuts and washers. I also have another big steel cabinet with removable drawers that I use for some hardware. That cabinet also has the 3"x4"x7" Akro bins in about half of the drawers, The others drawers are filled with pharmacy pill bottles with small hardware. I'm trying to get rid of the open bins as they collect "stuff" over time on the hardware. :(

https://www.zoro.com/durham-mfg-bin-cabinet-inds-14-ga-227-bins-red-ssc-227-1795/i/G2200040/?recommended=true

Stacking three of these and building a frame around them is where I am now with this project.

https://www.zoro.com/durham-mfg-prime-cold-rolled-steel-pigeonhole-bin-unit-4-34-in-d-x-gray-314-95/i/G2180342/?recommended=true

ETA....

Entire big bin which is about 600 pounds empty, is on a steel cart with six wheels under it so it can be moved within the shop if absolutely necessary.

I just got two 6 drawer  Durham racks from Zoro. They only give you 9 dividers in the adjustable bins which isn't nearly enough if you have lots of small stuff. I'd bet on needing 2.5x's that for smaller items. Unfortunately most places are out of stock so now I have 4 of my 12 bins that I can't use till some come in. Only Fastenal and Global list them in stock but they're 2x MSRP, fuck that.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been using "Really Useful Box" containers. You can get them from Staples and online. Just search "Really Useful Box". They come in a lot of sizes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Save the aggravation. Junk them and get the right fasteners for the job when you need them.  A decent organization system that breaks down nuts by size, fasteners by size, screws from bolts from machine screws, washers by size, will cost more than all that shit is worth. Keep a couple trays of everyday small screws about and donate the rest to the landfill.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad was deeply into the "jar lids screwed to the bottom of shelves" method.  It worked well for him.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is The Way.
View Quote

This is actually what I do for most things but I need a few more for fasteners.

Those are $6 at HF iirc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you are 20 miles from town that logic breaks down pretty fast.  

I can almost always find something that will work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I still use coffee cans.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't do as much stuff around the house anymore so I rarely need any of that stuff. I have one big coffee can I've been using for about thirty years. I can relate to dumping it on a towel, and sifting through the pile to find something that will work. I have very few nuts left, as I sent them all the FL and CA. Most of the bolts I sent to a plastic sturgeon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I’ve been buying common sizes of hardware in 100 piece quantities and keeping them in the original boxes. The boxes fit nicely in some repurposed HD trays from a beverage company. Another tray holds deck screws, lag bolts leftover nails. Odd used stuff that might come in handy someday gets tossed in an old cooking pot that sits under the bench.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Tip

If you run out of tray dividers or the cup sizes you need, just 3d print exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My dad was deeply into the "jar lids screwed to the bottom of shelves" method.  It worked well for him.
View Quote

Throwing away actual junk while saving things that can be reused is an art form.  Figuring out the difference between the two with the stuff in my garage is therapeutic for me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I have this sitting on the bench:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/toolbox-organizer-with-4-drawers-68238.html

Pretty simple.  Random/extra screws in one, bolts in the next, nails in the next, and so on.  Pretty easy really.  Then I have a box of random items under the bench.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Jar lids nailed to bottom of shelf.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Not putting anything on the top of the shelf kinda defeats the purpose, don't you think?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#28]
glass pickle/salsa jars.  Dont overthink it and try to make an ace hardware in your garage, nerd.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#29]
This works for me for the pile of hardware I've accumulated over the years.  I usually toss anything rusty when I sort things, so I don't need a ton of space.

A friend of mine that goes to a lot auctions has one whole wall of his shop stacked with those square yellow cat little buckets full of fasteners.  That's just too much shit for me to keep around in my space.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This works for me for the pile of hardware I've accumulated over the years.  I usually toss anything rusty when I sort things, so I don't need a ton of space.
https://us.vwr.com/stibo/bigweb/std.lang.all/97/06/4679706.jpg
A friend of mine that goes to a lot auctions has one whole wall of his shop stacked with those square yellow cat little buckets full of fasteners.  That's just too much shit for me to keep around in my space.
View Quote

Unfortunately Akro bins have doubled in price in the past year and the quality has gone down, just bought 4 cases of them a couple of weeks ago. .

The bins are slightly thinner with less gusseting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
glass pickle/salsa jars.  Dont overthink it and try to make an ace hardware in your garage, nerd.
View Quote

What I was thinking!! These guys are OCD
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I use coffee cans and bought 4.of those Stanley Organizers from HD for $10 each a year ago.

I only sort by rough size and type. So smaller washers, bolts, nuts are all in one Stanley storage bin sorted by type only.

Bigger stuff in coffee cans.

I had about 200 pounds of hardware i sorted to about 100 when I did this. I work at a place where stuff is tossed all the time and I pick it out of the scrap if I want it. Mostly all Stainless to.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Big jars
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Big jars

That works until you smash one or a couple by accident.

The big organizers with bins are the way to go.   You want a decent deal on them, go to estate sales... they'll come with free nuts and bolts already in them.

Quoted:

This fails miserably the first time you really, really need to find any fastener that might work right now, and is also really friggin' expensive.

I stock about 5-6 common bolt/cap screw/nut sizes each for metric and SAE, and use them regularly... and I still save a couple hundred bucks a year going back to my assortments of old stuff vs. buying new.

It takes all of a single day to properly organize an assortment of fasteners and widgets... people are just too lazy to do it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Here’s what I did last week.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why are you in my garage?

Right down to the labeling, this is what I do...
View Quote

Cause I posted on this page about a month ago. Got the same advice. Went to Harbor freight and bought a few. I like that I have them set up for "jobs", ike one that has electical, one for household, etc. I have spent $100 on tools this year and $400+ on organizing. makes life WAY better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I built a short shelf under my benches for plastic slide in bins. I sort out by size and cap screws and bolts in separate bins. And a bin for each size nuts and washers. I have a few hundred pounds of bolts so I really don't mess around.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Plano 3700 deep.  I don't save every last nut and bolt, but it is extraordinarily handy to have a few common size nuts, bolts, washers.

They do a good job keeping things like the small finish nails from getting dumped all over too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Looks like the crap my grandpa horded.

Did you live through the great depression?

Get some real bins.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Utz pretzel barrels are awesome.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#41]
In this thread we learn who rarely does home or mechanical repair.

I almost never need nuts or washers or bolts or lag bolts or wall anchors or pins or electrical connectors or tons of other stuff and do not have it in stock. If I do need to pick up some speciality items for a project, I make sure to get extra for stock.

I can't imagine running to the store every time I need a nut or a gasket or a spark plug.

It is very convenient to walk into my garage and pull something off the shelf at 11 pm to compete a repair.

It does take room, but I have deemed it necessary. If you don't need to stock anything, good for you.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I need to make another shelf...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Moving the trashcan closer to the hardware is probably the best solution overall.
View Quote

True story
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
mix em all up and toss em in a big drawer.

View Quote

I do the same thing, and I get sick of emptying 5 gallon buckets out on towels to find the right bolt.

I'm starting to get organized in the new shop though.

Tupperware and a huge nut and bolt bin, and glass jars screwed to a 2x6 hung off the wall are all helping get it done.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#45]
i think it has more to do with the self discipline of getting them organized and keeping them organized. than the physical system you use to organize them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Ive got one of these:

The drawers are a perfect fit for the plastic akro mills hardware bins

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ive got one of these:

https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net/i/37637/32535425_1m.jpg?v=8D6913DEF338EF0

The drawers are a perfect fit for the plastic akro mills hardware bins

View Quote

That's similar to the one I have. It's nice that you can remove the individual drawers from the cabinet for taking them to the bench too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#48]
My grandfather never walked past a nut or bolt in the street that he didn't pick up. He stored the nuts on loops of bailing wire and the bolts in coffee cans, mason jars, basically anything handy, the bolts and screws weren't real organized, but the nuts were.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#49]

@TribunusSanGeorgii that looks awesome! Did you build that from plans or just kinda make it up? I should/could do the same.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Stanley organizers. Made in USA.

https://i.ibb.co/G3xB2Jx/IMG-20200404-162929229.jpg
View Quote
This.

I had rando nuts, bolts, etc. in various containers and then went this route.  I also purged quite a bit of hardware that really had no use because...if I didn't need it for at least three years the likelihood of needing it was very low.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top