BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm surprised it hasn't happened here.Tankers full of gas just about everywhere-easy to grab one and have 5k gals of fuel.Grab some road flares and drive it into a Wal Mart or other crowded store and whoosh.........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
62 people dead, no firearms used.

I know this was an accident but think if someone wanted to use a fuel truck to intentionally cause harm.
I'm surprised it hasn't happened here.Tankers full of gas just about everywhere-easy to grab one and have 5k gals of fuel.Grab some road flares and drive it into a Wal Mart or other crowded store and whoosh.........
Gas tankers never concerned us all that much other than the occasional drunk running into one.  Chlorine tankers on the other hand gave us nightmares.  Would not even need explosives.  Just park it upwind of you local school and open the valves. It's amazing how many truckers leave their rigs idling and unlocked at the local truck stop.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I know this was an accident but think if someone wanted to use a fuel truck to intentionally cause harm.
View Quote
Ban gasoline
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
People don't think gasoline fumes be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Third World gonna Third World.  Not the first time this has happened, won't be the last.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]
When you see the phase “one of the worst incidents of this kind” used it leads you to believe that people stealing gas from a truck that subsequently explodes is, if not common, certainty not uncommon.

What they lost in gasoline they certainly gained in knowledge. If only briefly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I remember seeing one in India or somewhere a while back it's really sad how many people die for something not even worth it.
View Quote
Well, when you're dirt poor and living from meal-to-meal the chance of getting a few gallons of free fuel overrules any common sense.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Classical Gas Mason Williams 1968
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No one needs that much fuel.

You can't hunt deer with a fuel truck.
View Quote
Not with that attitude.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Deleted.  CoC 1.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The Power Station - Some Like It Hot
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#11]
153 killed in Pakistan June, 2017.  This poor guy appears to be okay, except for not having any skin.  Skip to 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuI_lPNBJPQ
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's an article that mentions some other tanker accidents in Africa, where people died while siphoning fuel.

One killed at least 104.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/international/africa/193019-190112-many-feared-dead-after-tanker-blast-in-nigeria

Another article listing similar incidents in various countries.

https://news.yahoo.com/worst-oil-tanker-fires-around-world-105030554.html
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ban fuel tankers obviously.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People don't think static buildup be like it is....
View Quote
Nah, Got a light Bro?
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The dailymail.co.uk title...
At least 62 people are killed in fuel tanker explosion 'triggered by cigarette-smoking looters trying to steal truck's battery' as petrol poured out of the trailer in eastern Tanzania

If this was in the US, lawyers would sue the cigarette and Tanker companies;
Blumenthal would call for an investigation to ban flamable liquids and fossil fuels
------------------------------------
Motley Crue Smokin in the Boy's room (in the old days before they become political)

Mötley Crüe - Smokin In The Boys Room
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
GIF of the event:
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Deleted.  CoC 1.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#19]
NSFW or for girly men

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You're not likely to generate enough static for a spark with a siphon hose and a gas can.   Otherwise,  people would burn up in their garages on a regular basis.
View Quote
They likely were using containers other than gas cans (conductive) and I doubt they were siphoning in the real sense and were likely collecting spilling fuel.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Gas fight! I was working on North Moore St. the day they filmed that. It was in a parking lot. Even the signs were fake.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, when you're dirt poor and living from meal-to-meal the chance of getting a few gallons of free fuel overrules any common sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember seeing one in India or somewhere a while back it's really sad how many people die for something not even worth it.
That is exactly it.  Third world countries have no safety net for food, housing, healthcare.   You are hurt go to the hospital. No payment no treatment. You die outside unless someone feels sorry for you and pays.

People do whatever to get by.  Gas was probably spilling out anyway. The trucks are not regulated by DOT like here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They likely were using containers other than gas cans (conductive) and I doubt they were siphoning in the real sense and were likely collecting spilling fuel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not likely to generate enough static for a spark with a siphon hose and a gas can.   Otherwise,  people would burn up in their garages on a regular basis.
Yeah,  nothing to generate any static.  It takes a lot of flow.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought tankers were built/designed so they didn't explode easily? I've heard of nutjobs trying to deliberately set them off by shooting them, and failing.

The times I've heard of them exploding, was because the truck was already on fire. The fire heating the tank, caused the explosion.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I hope my truck does that if anyone ever tried to siphon the fuel out of it too.
View Quote
Ban MC 306/DOT406's for the children.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I thought tankers were built/designed so they didn't explode easily? I've heard of nutjobs trying to deliberately set them off by shooting them, and failing.

The times I've heard of them exploding, was because the truck was already on fire. The fire heating the tank, caused the explosion.
View Quote

LOL!

Incompatible material in a container (tanker) that was not specified for the material. DOT/CFR 49 and list of dangerious goods, etc.. regs take all the guess work out on what material can go into what container.

Based upon the description, a corrosive material was place in an aluminum constructed container (tanker). I'm going to guess it was sodium hydroxide. One of the most common corrosive materials hauled in bulk. Sodium Hydroxide will react with aluminum and give off hydrogen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Humans have static buildup (it’s why you’re supposed to ground yourself before pumping), airborne dust can create static buildup, a cellphone can discharge static, it isn’t just the flow of fuel that creates static buildup. With the amount of airborne fumes pouring out of an overturned tanker the slightest static discharge is a kaboom.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Those poor bikes!
View All Quotes
Yea, I was just thinking that.  I've sworn off two-wheelers, but I still have a soft spot for damaged/neglected ones...
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Try 9,000+ gallons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try 9,000+ gallons.
The one that rolled over and blew up right in front of me in 1999 was supposedly 9,400 gallons.

It was a BIG fire.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If only they stayed in science class.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
People don't think static buildup be like it is....
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#33]
RIP after roasting at hell on earth.  What a way to go.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Except first you would have to convince them it was a good idea to gather around the tanker
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except first you would have to convince them it was a good idea to gather around the tanker
Yeah first worlders tend to run from damaged tankers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yea, I was just thinking that.  I've sworn off two-wheelers, but I still have a soft spot for damaged/neglected ones...
View Quote
I should know better by now, but I still feel the same way about some womens....
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1e28MJB5gI

LOL!

Incompatible material in a container (tanker) that was not specified for the material. DOT/CFR 49 and list of dangerious goods, etc.. regs take all the guess work out on what material can go into what container.

Based upon the description, a corrosive material was place in an aluminum constructed container (tanker). I'm going to guess it was sodium hydroxide. One of the most common corrosive materials hauled in bulk. Sodium Hydroxide will react with aluminum and give off hydrogen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1e28MJB5gI

LOL!

Guess I should have been clearer: I thought fuel tankers were  built/designed so they didn't explode easily?
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Just crazy, let's go steal gas from that tanker that broke down, WTF can go wrong?
BOOOOOOM
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah.
Would never happen here. The .gov has got this one covered.
You need a CDL with HazMat endorsement to drive flammables around.
And HazMat includes a background check, to eliminate bad guys.

So it could never happen, just like no shootings in gun-free zones.

Biggest deterrent is probably not knowing how to start or drive a big truck -
shifting gears and shit.
Of course, one could just hi-jack it, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#41]
The Doors - Light My Fire ( HQ Official Video )
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does this have anything to do with Uncle Joe's recent statement that poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
RIP after roasting at hell on earth.  What a way to go.
View Quote
Definitely a horrible way to die.

In the spoiler pictures, the reason their arms are up is because their muscles were cooked
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ones in the states, and developed countries are. 3rd world, as long as it doesn't leak it's good to go.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ones in the states, and developed countries are. 3rd world, as long as it doesn't leak it's good to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. I forgot that we can't simply assume the expectations of 'minimum standards' in other locales.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Humans have static buildup (it’s why you’re supposed to ground yourself before pumping), airborne dust can create static buildup, a cellphone can discharge static, it isn’t just the flow of fuel that creates static buildup. With the amount of airborne fumes pouring out of an overturned tanker the slightest static discharge is a kaboom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humans generate static before pumping gas by riding in a car, which is moving through the air, or sliding across the car seat, getting out of the car. How often in your life, walking around outside, do you touch something and get a static spark?  I'm guessing... never?

It said in the BBC article that they were smoking cigarettes, and stealing the battery out of the truck.  Not to mention, the truck was crashed hard enough to be on it's side, so who knows what was shorted out, or still hot?   Between one of those things, and static electricity, which seems like the LEAST likely source of ignition, to you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Guess I should have been clearer: I thought fuel tankers were  built/designed so they didn't explode easily?
View Quote
You are correct!

MC 306/DOT 406 spec tankers are generally what they use in the industry ( in the US) to haul gasoline, diesel, etc...they are generally constructed of aluminum, and melt from fire exposure/impengment to prevent BLEVEs. For the most part!

Its all by design and the oversite and regulations we have. Other countries pretty much do what they want and dont have the regs we have.

Which makes for pretty interesting youtube videos
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You are correct!

MC 306/DOT 406 spec tankers are generally what they use in the industry ( in the US) to haul gasoline, diesel, etc...they are generally constructed of aluminum, and melt from fire exposure/impengment to prevent BLEVEs. For the most part!

Its all by design and the oversite and regulations we have. Other countries pretty much do what they want and dont have the regs we have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct!

The truck didn't explode.  The gasoline did.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct!

Your thread title says it did!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top