View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry but Malort holds that title!

Grappa makes Malort seem palatable.

Never heard of that.

As nasty as Malort is a couple years back myself, Wiskerz and M35ben finished off an open bottle of Malort when we couldn't convince anymore folks to try it at Cheesecake. I guess once ya get going some of us will drink anything!
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The Negroni:
in an old fashion glass full of ice-
2 parts cheap gin
1 part Campari
1 part vermouth rosso

Maybe garnish with an orange slice and possibly a cherry.  

Leave the Campari bottle out on display - twisting a slice of orange skin over it before serving increases your chances of getting laid by 87%.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If enjoying a Tom Collins in the shade on a hot summer day is wrong I don't want to be right.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nope.. most of my poor decisions as a young man involved this..
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_0689_jpeg-3141032.JPG
View Quote

My worst moments came from being shitfaced on Captain Morgan. I was "that guy at the party" more times than I care to recount because of Captain Morgan. Horrible hangovers. Gin caused some very gnasty hangovers too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I love to drink it like this

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Never heard of that.

As nasty as Malort is a couple years back myself, Wiskerz and M35ben finished off an open bottle of Malort when we couldn't convince anymore folks to try it at Cheesecake. I guess once ya get going some of us will drink anything!
View Quote

I actually didn't mind malort. Yeah, it was super bitter, but it reminded me of pinesol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Gin is fuckin nasty.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Jabberwocky fizz

3 parts gin (dry)
2 parts drambuie
1 part lime juice
1 part lemon juice

shake

pour into an ice filled collins glass, top with club soda

(I garnish with a good maraschino cherry at the bottom)
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Negroni:
in an old fashion glass full of ice-
2 parts cheap gin
1 part Campari
1 part vermouth rosso

Maybe garnish with an orange slice and possibly a cherry.  

Leave the Campari bottle out on display - twisting a slice of orange skin over it before serving increases your chances of getting laid by 87%.
View Quote
Campari tastes like you're drinking the taint juice strained off of a treebarks asshole.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Hated gin until I made a gin and tonic with this:
https://www.thirtyonewhiskey.com/review-victoria-distillers-empress-1908-indigo-gin/
Completely changed my attitude about gin and now I'm hooked.

(EDIT: Forgot to add Party like it's 1999 !)
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Drink whatever makes you happy and fu_k everyone else; life is too short to worry about stupid shit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Maddog20/20
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My buddy use to serve people who he didn't shots of isopropyl and tell them it was cheap vodka. No body ever knew the difference.
View Quote

“My buddy used to serve people poison. Nobody ever knew the difference.”

Your buddy deserves a few kicks in the teeth. I’ve had patients with permanent injury from those stunts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Sapphire gin and tonics taste awesome on a hot day. I drink them from a tall glass, for a better tonic to gin ratio.

YRMV

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I somewhat agree. Not the worst alcohol drink but as far as liquor goes it isn't pleasant.

It needs to be top shelf and mixed with a citrus type sugary mixer and can be good after a few minutes of marination.

Pine needles aren't my favorite flavor but mixed good it can be fantastic. I'll take a Bombay and squirt over a bud light any day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
That is correct.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I say...a G&T with a little Rose's lime on a summer day makes me wish there were tigers in Arizona old boy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Tom Collins is how you drink gin.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Look up the history of William of Orange trying to replicate brandy.

... and the crap that made up a sailor's alcohol ration.

It's also easy enough to test. Put a juniper sprig in some pickles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gin exists because it was the easiest method to hide the flavor of poorly distilled alcohol.

Juniper gets rid of the smell/taste of vinegar perfectly.

As someone who can operate a still... that's absurd from both a historical and scientific perspective.  

You should do yourself a favor and never repeat it.

Look up the history of William of Orange trying to replicate brandy.

... and the crap that made up a sailor's alcohol ration.

It's also easy enough to test. Put a juniper sprig in some pickles.

[longwinded sigh...]

Gin is not flavored alcohol in that juniper and whatever else is added to a neutral distilled product.  Nor is it like a whiskey or rum where potstills can carry flavor profiles over from the corn/grain/cane fermentation and then aged on wood.  Gin (like vodka) is made by high-proof neutral distilling and then (unlike vodka) putting botanicals and flavoring agents in a basket in the vapor column itself DURING the distillation... the vapor passes by the botanicals and picks up their essences.  Gin is gin as it comes off the still, and a still is set up to explicitly do so with vapor chambers and refluxers in the vapor columns.  The gin is not a afterthought or some kind of salvage methodology because what came out of your still was garbage and now you're going to soak some juniper in it to mask some kind of vinegar flavor.

The latter underlined part not even making any sense.  Vinegar doesn't come over when distilling... ESPECIALLY if using a copper column.  You can take a a couple 5-gallon buckets of old turned wine and strip the alcohol out of them yielding zero hint of vinegar with just a single run.  Vinegar's (acetic acid) BP is radically higher than ethanol's (244F vs 173F) and liquor starts to taste like shit and you end the run LONG before vinegar starts running off the spout.  Firstly you would have to be using a bad wash that turned to vinegar.  Then you would have to use a potstill ... which is atypical to even make vodkas and gins (unless you're planning doing several runs ... each subsequent redistill further stripping any remaining vinegar).  Because vodkas and gins are typically made using a column still or (on larger scales) with continuous fractioning stills... neither of which would permit vinegar to pass even if you wanted it to.  But finally, after using a turned-vinegar wash and selecting a potstill as your tool and deciding to only do one run, you would have to run the potstill hot and heavy with all the finesse of a 2-Liter shake'n'bake meth cook to get any vinegar come over because of the large temperature differential.

Point being, even with some of the janky-ass stills seen on the likes of History Channel's Moonshiners, you'd pretty much have to plan ahead to purposefully be trying to get a vinegary distillation product before even thinking "Hmmm, I should add juniper to this shit product that I went out of my way to even make this shitty."

And even then, that's not gin... that'd be juniper flavored vodka.  Because gin is flavored from inside the still.

None of which has anything to do with putting juniper in pickle juice.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Believe it or not, gin does very well in bloody marys.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And we should be concerned for people who drink in.

Change my mind.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

YES!

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Town Branch made a wonderful gin with Kentucky wildflowers. So of course when I had about two inches left in the bottle, the distillery changed hands and discontinued it.

I’ve been using Hendricks and The Botanist.

Summertime, a Tom Collins is great. In winter, I’ll makes a double gimlet with fresh lime and homemade simple syrup, or, if I’m watching Britbox, I’ll shake a shot of gin, 1/2 oz simple syrup, juice from half a lemon, and a good splash of peychaud’s bitters and strain for a pink gin. Peychauds is my favorite of the standard bitters, I love the flavor it brings to gin.

Also nursing my last bottle of Genever.  Cant find it locally.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry but Malort holds that title!

I had grappa  at a pizzaria in Brussels and enjoyed it.

Eta: I also love gin
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, I guess I've been wrong.  I love gin.  

My faves...

Plymouth Navy
Beefeater
Uncle Val's
Gordon's
Hendrick's
Bombay

I DON'T care for Bombay Sapphire or the Botanist.  I like the stronger botanicals.  IMO those two are gins for people that don't like gin
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Jagermeister and absinthe
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Believe it or not, gin does very well in bloody marys.
View Quote

A bloody mary made with good Mexican lager is low alcohol and surprisingly good. You can (and we often did) drink them all day in the summer. I think we called it a bloody bull (which isn't right), but the proper name is a Michelada.

A bloody mary made with no alcohol is a bloody shame.

ETA: No Tanqueray drinkers at all? It's my martini go-to...
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good gin is great, bad gin is god awful. I think it has the most disparity between bad and good of any distilled spirit.
View Quote
As a life-long gin drinker, 53 years now, RobertL is correct.
I prefer traditional London Dry gins: Tanqueray (my goto), Beefeaters, Brokers, No. 3, Sipsmith.  Gordon's gin, although an inexpensive gin, is surprisingly good for the money (but take that as coming from someone who likes that flavor profile).  Plymouth and Plymouth Navy Strength are also pretty tasty.
Personally I hate the 'new American Gins' but that's probably because I drank gin for decades before they came on the scene.
G&T, Martini, Gibson, Red Snapper (Bloody Mary but with gin), Negroni, Tom Collins, Gimlet... all good.
Use a quality gin and quality mixers and you may just find out why gin is also know as the Nectar of the Gods.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
An extremely dry Bombay Sapphire martini is a just reward after a brutal week.  We use pickled jalapenos as garnish versus olives.  Addictive, but civilized.
View Quote

Sapphire Gimlet is my reward for just about everything. Yum

ETA  Absinthe is gross.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
My go to in the summer at the bar is well gin and coke...
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quit buying cheap liquor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#34]
You can't make GIN & tonic without gin.  Fuck off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Gin sucks for sure.

Slivovitz could give gin a run for it's money.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#36]
The Chemist, Hendricks, Mother Earth, or Sutlers. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Damn, I guess I've been wrong.  I love gin.  

My faves...

Plymouth Navy
Beefeater
Uncle Val's
Gordon's
Hendrick's
Bombay

I DON'T care for Bombay Sapphire or the Botanist.  I like the stronger botanicals.  IMO those two are gins for people that don't like gin
View Quote

We can be good friends.
I agree with your post in its entirety!
I drink my gin straight.
The worst I've ever tasted is New Amsterdam.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tequila is the worst
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry OP, but the appreciation of gin requires a refined palate.

Enjoy your White Claw.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Malort is the worst and it's not close.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I’ve said this since my grand uncle taught me how to make a Martini, back in the 1970s….

I don’t get it, when vodka—the TRUE Aqua vitae exists.

Fuck all that “aging in smoked oak so it tastes like basement” or adding poisonous berries to try & ward off “bad air,” aka malaria whilst trying to make quinine more “palatable…l”

Brits aren’t exactly known for their palate.  Improv, tenacity, scientific & engineering brilliance, and organizational skills—sure, but palates?

God save the king!
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#42]
The OP needs help.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Amen to that!  One of the few gins I've poured down the drain after opening the bottle and taking the first sip.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Amen to that!  One of the few gins I've poured down the drain after opening the bottle and taking the first sip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep - same here.
I tried - but I couldn't choke that crap down, so down the drain it went.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#46]
These days I cut to the chase and go right to moonshine.

Straight on the rocks.

Mixed drinks give me a headache, no matter how light the mixer or the alcohol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why you no like getting drunk on Christmas trees? Lol, gin was the first hard liquor I ever had. Parents used to drink gin & squirt all the time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Gin is a mixer. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Gin and White soda is phenomenal.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top