Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This should not be difficult. Nearly any coffee maker should stand up well against that weak tasting k cup coffee.  Google best coffee makers and shop by budget. You can get a decent one pretty affordably. Notice in most lists of best coffee makes the Keurig is no where to be found.
View Quote

The Keurig really is a piece of trash.  I can see the appeal for some people but  for myself.....I must defer Mr. Dikembe Mutombo when I say "Not in my house.".
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#2]
So glad I wenwent with the oxo recently. Makes great coffee and the stainless carafe insulates well and cleans easier than expected.

Had a double coupon at bed bath and beyond so I'd hold out for a sale, MSRP is more than I'd want to spend normally at 200
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Bunn for multiple cups, French press for 1 or 2.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Moccamaster hands down for a drip machine. Best you can get.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I vote this. I really like my french press
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
20 Dollar French press, $20 coffee grinder, $20 electric kettle.

I vote this. I really like my french press

Yup.  It's even decent with Folgers medium roast.    I even like the sludge at the bottom of my cup.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#6]
OP,

Get a french press if you want great coffee.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, recommend a good french press.

Also what about pour over coffee?  That seems like a really cost efficient option.

I really only make 1-2 cups a day so I don't need a large pot.

Thanks,

Corey

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also what about pour over coffee?  That seems like a really cost efficient option.

Thanks,

Corey
View Quote

Clever dripper is best of both worlds..., French press and pour over. 

Clever dripper
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#9]
We just have a cheap 12 cup mr coffee

Works like a champ.  Whatever line you go to with water on the carafe, 1/2 the amount of heapin teaspoons for grounds.  (6 cups water, 3 t coffee)
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
You can stop looking now that I've provided this link

Moccamaster
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Bonavita is a great more cost effective alternative to the moccamaster
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks,

Corey
View Quote

Pour over:  Chemex   comes in 3, 6, 8, or 10 cup (5 oz cups)  I make one 8 cup pot every morning.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of the most wonderful coffee I have had came from a French press.  No matter whose method of French press production I follow, (have tried 6-8 different methods) or which kind of coffee I use, I cannot get decent coffee out of my French press at home.  So my Keurig coffee machine remains my "go to" coffee maker.

Any suggestions for French press success will be most gratefully accepted.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Ditch the french press idea and get an AeroPress.

Similar, but the grounds don't sit in the water releasing bitterness into the coffee.

I know no one believes a word I say.  Watch the youtube reviews.  Don't just take my word for it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Similar, but the grounds don't sit in the water releasing bitterness into the coffee.

I know no one believes a word I say.  Watch the youtube reviews.  Don't just take my word for it.
View Quote

When I use the french press I pour the remainder into a thermos.  Nothing is continuing to steep.

I heat the water on the stove and heat enough to warm the thermos.

I've gone to the Chemex brewer though.  Much easier to clean up, no sludge at all in your cup.  Filters are available at several places locally.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not that nobody believes you, it's just that you're kind of wrong.

The scientific method for extracting the oils and flavor from ground coffee is to immerse the ground coffee in water that's approximately 197*-203* for about 4 minutes.

The bitterness can come from bad coffee, water that's too hot, or time that's greater than ~4 minutes.

That comes not from me, but that's how the experts who buy and grade coffee do it.  For actual cupping, prior to auction, they even under roast the beans.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Consumer Reports rated coffee makers, and believe it or not, the $15.00 Mr. Coffee machine topped all the others. I've been using this and grinding my own Colombian beans in a Mr. Coffee grinder, and I make some awesome coffee. You can quickly overthink this thing.
View Quote

Yup.

Mr. Coffee and Maxwell House Colombian Supreme is a winner every time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#18]
AeroPress
Programmable burr grinder
Electric Kettle

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#19]
For the last 20 years I've used one of two Hamilton Beach Brewstations.  The first lasted about 15 years of almost daily use.  I thought it failed, but all it really needed was a cleaning.  Before I figured that out, I bought a new one.  When I cleaned the first one and found out that it worked, I gave it to my paralegal, and it's in use today.

This is the model that does not have a carafe.  It has a bar that you press with your mug, and that dispenses the coffee.  I think it makes a great pot of coffee.  Over the years, I've gone from Eight O'clock French Roast to Italian Dark Roast, to decaf Major Somesillyname from Peet's, which is the closest decaf to Italian Dark Roast I could find.  I use water filtered through my Big Berky.

I am very satisfied with my coffee.  I enjoy what I brew more than restaurants and coffee shops.  Some are as good as what I make, but none is better, to me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I prefer a good old percolator myself.
View Quote

We're back to a CorningWare percolator and the coffee is great.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a shitty $15 Mr Coffee (as linked above) at the house that I can't find any fault with. I mean, I want to buy new, cool gadgets and all but this keeps working just fine.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This or perk.

Press for quickness
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Manual hand grinder, tea pot, Melitta Pour- Over Brewer with Stainless Thermal Carafe
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#25]
What do you all think about this?  I don't need the fancy wood band on the Chemex.

This seems to do the same but has what looks like a silicon band.  Bodum 11571-01US Pour Over Coffee Maker with Permanent Filter, 34 oz, Black.

Bodum pour over coffee maker

Is the metal filter any better or worse than the Chemex filters?

Thoughts?

Next, what is a good burr grinder?  I don't want to spend a ton of money but want a good grind.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Bodum Conicle burr coffee grinder
It is one of the few that have a glass container to cut down on static cling when you grind
Had ot several years and use it every day
The only downside is the grinde time is set in seconds instead of cups so you have to measure once to figure out your time.
The conacle burr grinder provides more even grind than a flat plate burr grinder

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0043095WW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482797633&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=bodum&tag=vglnk-c102-20 coffee grinder&dpPl=1&dpID=41rA4B16alL&ref=plSrch&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
 Heck, at one point I had an expresso maker with frother so I could have cappuccino.  I loved it.  I would grind the beans (I did not have a burr grinder) and set the maker to brew every morning when my alarm went off.

Thanks,

Corey
View Quote

You know the answer.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I love cappuccino, so recommend a good combo unit!
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
The fancy wood band on the chemex keeps the skin on your hand from melting when you pick it up to pour out the liquid goodness inside.   It works quite well actually.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What do you all think about this?  I don't need the fancy wood band on the Chemex.

This seems to do the same but has what looks like a silicon band.  Bodum 11571-01US Pour Over Coffee Maker with Permanent Filter, 34 oz, Black.

Bodum pour over coffee maker

Is the metal filter any better or worse than the Chemex filters?

Thoughts?

Next, what is a good burr grinder?  I don't want to spend a ton of money but want a good grind.
View Quote

The ChemEx paper filters are 20-30% thicker than standard paper filters and do a good job of removing some of the oils that can cause bitterness.

In addition, the ChemEx filters are designed to slow the process down, so you get close to that 4 minute immersion time that you want to achieve for the perfect brew.

As John said above, the wooden collar keeps your hands from being burned.  I have girlie hands and I actually wish the collar was textured, as sometimes the glossy wood feels like it's slipping out of my hand.

A great way to brew, since 1941!

Chris
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#31]
When in London, Bond maintains a simple routine. Sitting down to The Times, he breakfasts on two large cups of “very strong coffee, from De Bry in New Oxford Street” brewed in a Chemex coffee maker and an egg served in a dark blue egg cup with a gold ring round the top, boiled for three and a third minutes. There is also wholewheat toast, Jersey butter and a choice of Tiptree ‘Little Scarlet’ strawberry jam, Cooper’s Vintage Oxford marmalade and Norwegian Heather Honey from Fortnum and Mason, served on blue Minton china. Breakfast is prepared by May, his Scottish housekeeper, whose friend supplies the speckled brown eggs from French Marans hens.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Based on here and the Youtube, I have given in to trying the Aeropress. So far, so good. At work we use the industrial grade Bunn and drink barrels.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I got the clever dripper the other day based on the thread.  I must say it works well and I prefer it over the aeropress.  

I have an aeropress and it works well, but it's not something I want to do when I first wake up in a groggy state.  Also, I like to make a 16 ounce cup and a single press of the coffee does not make a  strong enough 16 oz cup for me . I usually press the first batch, then pour the remaining water through the aeropress and use it like a pourover.

It seems some people enjoy rituals of sorts; shaving and making coffee seem to come to mind.  Call me lazy, but I generally live by the  pareto principle. I'm usually willing to settle for 80% of the quality for 20% of the work.  The easiest way for me to get a decent cup in the morning is still with a drip maker. I just take the carafe out while it's making and let it steep a few minutes in the filter basket.  The anti drip valve in newer coffee makers will hold the water in the basket when the carafe is out. The filter basket will hold exactly 16 ounces of water. The water is not quite enough to be optimum brew temp, but with the right ingredients (freshly ground coffee and good tasting water) it still does a good job for a flip of the switch- better than any K-cup I've tried.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#34]
a $20 mr. coffee from Walmart and a decent <$100 burr grinder from Bodum is light-years ahead of a Keurig.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#35]
The Bunn brand drip makers are fast and make a consistent cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Okay, while I want a Chemex I have a hard time thinking that I will spend 15 minutes every workday morning making a single cup of coffee when dogs need to be fed, etc.

I will likely start with a decent burr grinder (I am looking at the Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder for $83).  Then likely go with an inexpensive drip coffee maker so I can grind and program it the night before.  Eventually, I will get a Chemex for nicer cups of coffee on the weekend.

So what is a good inexpensive drip coffee maker?  And can I enhance that system by using higher end filters (like the Chemex)?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like the Cuisinart Grind and Brew.
View Quote
This.

I've had two of them over the last 8-10 years and they do a good job with minimal fuss.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Will that brew as little as 1-2 cups?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I use a Keurig and grind my own beans.  I've been very happy with it.  In all my experience, it isn't the coffee pot, it's the beans and grind that determine how good the coffee is.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I do have a Keurig cup that lets me add my own ground beans.  I should start using that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#41]
$15.00 still works after 12 yrs!

Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#42]
You've got this all backwards. 

All the benefit of grinding your own coffee goes out the window if you let it sit for 8-10 hours over night. All the volatile compounds in your coffee have evaporated by then. If you're going to grind the night before, buy a $15 programable Mr. Coffee, and call it good. But know that you're still going to get stale, over-extracted, less flavorful coffee, similar to your Keurig.

If you only want to make one or two cups of coffee, get an Areopress. Grind, fill, wait four minutes, plunge. Takes 6 minutes, tops, and four of those are spent waiting for the coffee to brew.

You're running into the classic Fast/Cheap/Quality issue here. If you want to have quality coffee at home, and don't want to spend the cost of a nice AR on an espresso machine, you're going to have to invest more time and energy into making your coffee than throwing pre-ground Folgers into a drip coffee machine. Of course, this all depends on your definition of quality. If you like bitter, over-extracted coffee, more power to you... Just know most people aren't going to take you up on the offer of coffee when you come over. 
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Okay, while I want a Chemex I have a hard time thinking that I will spend 15 minutes every workday morning making a single cup of coffee when dogs need to be fed, etc.

I will likely start with a decent burr grinder (I am looking at the Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder for $83).  Then likely go with an inexpensive drip coffee maker so I can grind and program it the night before.  Eventually, I will get a Chemex for nicer cups of coffee on the weekend.

So what is a good inexpensive drip coffee maker?  And can I enhance that system by using higher end filters (like the Chemex)?
View Quote

Use a cheap Mr Coffee. Pour in filtered water and turn on pot. Push button to grind beans. Throw freshly ground beans in basket and close lid. If you want it a little better, pull the carafe out for a couple of minutes and the coffee will steep in the basket.

You can pour water in the night before, but don't grind your beans until you're ready to brew. Its a push of the button.

It will be 80% as good as those guys that hand grind and use a thermometer to get the perfect water temp, and better than any mass market pre ground coffee. I own and have tried aeropress, french press, and recently a clever dripper. All have their good points but this will remain my daily method because of speed and ease.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I use a Breville Burr grinder and a Technivorm Moccamaster with a thermal carafe for my morning coffee.  

It's been a good setup for the past four years and I'd buy the same thing again if anything needed to be replaced.  But, there aren't any automatic features with the brewer.
View Quote

+1 for Breville burr grinder
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#45]
French press
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:52:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

TPNI !

El Cheapo Ikea French press is just as good as a more expensive Bodum brand.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a Technivorm ($300) and a Cuisinart grinder ($50) and generally use beans that are about $1.50/ounce.  It's not cheap but it's worth it.   

My brewing process:

Fill water reservoir, put paper filter in basket, set mug beneath basket and hit power button.

Weigh out 16 grams of coffee, throw it in the grinder, grind and then measure 15 grams of ground coffee.

By this time, the brew cycle is done so I re-fill the reservoir, add coffee to the now wet basket, empty my mug and put it back under the basket and hit power again.  About 2-3 minutes later, I have a delicious cup of hot coffee. 

This process gives me an already warmed up machine, brewing into a pre-wetted and heated filter/basket and brewing into an already heated mug.  Believe it or not, it makes a difference.  Temperature is critical when it comes to coffee and that's why most cheap drip machines fall short.  They don't get the coffee anywhere near the required 195-205 degrees.  Pre-heating everything ensures the hot water doesn't lose much temperature at it goes thru the brew cycle and results in a cup that is too hot to immediately drink.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boom. /Thread
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Grinding coffee machine combo

Here you go. Programmable grinder/coffee maker.
View Quote

How does this compare as an alternative to the Technivorm Moccamaster?

The Moccamaster does not have an internal grinder it seems.  So if I didn't want to let the ground coffee sit all night I would have to grind it before brewing (i.e., no programming it to have it brewed when I wake up).

I am realizing that by the time I get the Chemex and grinder, I am close in price to the Capresso machine.  I am also realizing that I am not going to want to screw around with the Chemex for 15 minutes on a workday just to get one cup of coffee, so I am leaning toward spending more money on a nice drip machine.

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top