BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You probably know this already, but they really like an oil change after the first half hour or so.  Comes out like mercury.  Lots of shavings.
View Quote

Yes sir, easy peasy. But we are a long way from the first oil change.

I've opened a can of worms, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Took the seat off, found the throttle rod was connected to the throttle cable with band clamps. It's a low rent setup, so I'll have to figure out the best way to clean it up. The "L" shaped bracket that holds the cable is not welded to anything. I'll take the kart to work and weld it securely back in place.

The pedals are single pivot point, and the rods are loose in the holes. In addition, the kart has band/drum brakes and the brake pedal doesn't return. I'm going to see what's required for a disc brake conversion and install a single rod that carries both pedals for durability.

As for the brakes, the rod that connects and actuates both brake bands is welded into place so I would have to cut it off.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

turbo Busa of GTFO!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gixxer 750 motor or nothing!

turbo Busa of GTFO!

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I'm going to swap from a dead axle to a live axle with hubs and disc brakes. From a disc brake standpoint, mechanical is cheaper, but fluid/hydraulic activation is cooler so I'm still torn.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
They make brakes for go carts?
This trend started sometime after my childhood obviously.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to swap from a dead axle to a live axle with hubs and disc brakes. From a disc brake standpoint, mechanical is cheaper, but fluid/hydraulic activation is cooler so I'm still torn.
View Quote

Yes. Live axle. Disc brakes. Mechanical isn't bad, just takes a little more finesse.

I have a predator 212 that makes about 13hp on my gokart with what looks like the same comet 30 torque converter as yours. It'll get up to 50mph on the road. It's scary fast, and everyone who rides it but me gets off it shaking -- I guess I'm just dead to the world.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
what about the fishing rods?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes. Live axle. Disc brakes. Mechanical isn't bad, just takes a little more finesse.

I have a predator 212 that makes about 13hp on my gokart with what looks like the same comet 30 torque converter as yours. It'll get up to 50mph on the road. It's scary fast, and everyone who rides it but me gets off it shaking -- I guess I'm just dead to the world.

http://i.imgur.com/7ocu8VX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ckbYf3J.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/7ocu8VX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ckbYf3J.jpg

Sweet setup! Ours will never be that fast, since it's a heavier 2 person buggy. Got any vids? What engine mods?

ETA: Check that, I think if I took the cage off of mine we basically have the same cart! Who did you go to for the live axle setup?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what about the fishing rods?
View Quote

Fiberglass spin cast. Wal-Mart purchase. White one has taken a 15# bull red off a pier in Orange Beach, AL.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a badass project.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Da fuq...When I first looked at the pic I thought Chappy was riding bitch behind the kid driving the kart. That shit be tall...
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like a badass project.
View Quote

I'm hoping so. Right now it's a vacuum that I'm throwing dollars into.

Probably not much going on in the way of progress for a little while, mostly just cleanup and further disassembly.

Engine stuff to get/do:
Hop Up Kit
Torque Converter

Chassis stuff to do:
Weld throttle cable bracket
Change to a live axle
Change to disc brakes
Clean up / grease steering
Convert to a single rod pedal assembly
Paint wheels and reinstall current tires
Wire in kill switch
Wire in lights
Foam the cage

Plenty to do yet, full time job and a 17 month old. Updates might come slow, but they'll come!

After this project comes the defunct family pontoon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sweet setup! Ours will never be that fast, since it's a heavier 2 person buggy. Got any vids? What engine mods?

ETA: Check that, I think if I took the cage off of mine we basically have the same cart! Who did you go to for the live axle setup?
View Quote

Did nothing to it besides maintenance.

I only have video of it with the old engine, a 6.5HP Tecumseh, that sat outside for two years had the original spark plug, original air filter, etc. etc.

I put new torque converter nubs in, new torque converter spring, new belt, changed the engine to the predator 212, put fresh front tires on, fixed the front alignment, and adjusted the mechanical brake.

Oh, and the predator has a rejetted bored carb, heavier valve springs, no governor, and the exhaust pipe. Now it's genuinely terrifying.

I'll try to remember to pull the video footage of the new engine off the cameras.

ETA:

You may be able to rebuild the old torque converter. That'll save a couple hundo.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top