BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For instance, Here in Florida it’s truck drivers in demand. They make about $22/hr and work up to 65 hrs a week.  That’s about $80k, isn’t it?  Now, I’m sure you have reasons you want to live, work, and raise your daughter where you do, but that’s not my fault.
View Quote

Don't lose sight of that fact that money isn't an indicator of success, nor is it a measure of happiness.

I love living where I do. Other than possibly Tennessee, I can't see myself being totally happy anywhere else. I despise big city living, and a population of 15K is about my limit -- and I wouldn't actually want to live there either. I graduated high school in the top 20 of almost 400 students and opted to skip college. I went straight into the workforce and have done the same job for 30+ years now. I never dread going to work and haven't missed a single day in over 24 years. I make less than $75K a year, yet I never feel like I shorted myself out of a better life. I don't have the stresses that higher wage earners have, nor will I ever have to be put on anxiety medication. My wife and I live a simple rural life, essentially debt free, and pay cash for everything we buy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely agree, and assume you aren’t asking me for a $600 per person subsidy.  Your life, your choices.

My point was poorly stated, but pretending more income isn’t available is a myth. It’s priorities. Your priorities suit you. America!

I’m using my wife as an example, more like an Every Man case. It’s out there if you want it. You don’t, that’s fine. This pretending people have no choice except hand outs is dehumanizing and unAmerican.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I got 196 trumpbucks for a family of 4.

Glad I am still employed.   Would suck if I was layed off/lost a business and they based it off last years taxes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:16:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:14:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You are partly right, yes, that guy is losing the game in my view by his own sword and asking me to provide for him, but it’s calling that liberal that is the wrong sauce.
You can make more.  You are making choices not to.  They are your choices. I respect them. I don’t want to subsidize them.

Without a degree / professional career, having a daughter, etc, you have to be willing to move where the work is and transition to jobs in demand. That can be oil field or whatever, but opportunity is there to work and provide. Sitting still making $30k is not something I can get behind.

For instance, Here in Florida it’s truck drivers in demand. They make about $22/hr and work up to 65 hrs a week.  That’s about $80k, isn’t it?  Now, I’m sure you have reasons you want to live, work, and raise your daughter where you do, but that’s not my fault.

I shouldn’t have said loser, I did and I will own it.  It was wrong. The point is not wrong.

However, If I was a liberal, I’d tell you that’s the best you can do and the reason you can’t do better is someone else’s fault.  Because I’m not a liberal, I believe you can do better if you really want to do it.  It may take some changes in your decision making.

There’s a better way to say it and I should have used it, you are settling for someone else’s appraisal of your potential and what you are worth and asking me to pretend you deserve for me to make up the difference. You don’t deserve that.

I honestly and sincerely hope you don’t believe you deserve that. Because that is a terrible thing to think and feel that you can’t do better for some reason you can’t solve and others owe you something out of their own hard work. I was there once. It’s why I despise the situation and was too harsh with the wording. I apologize.

I have an employee that is in their 40s going to night school. I helped buy them a laptop. I would rather voluntarily help someone making good choices than be forced to help keep someone down and depressed.  

A lot of people will help you start pushing the Wagon forward if they buy into your plan.  It’s fulfilling to help others by choice and not at all liberal.  Here’s some help - You don’t need hsa money at this point. No financial advisor would suggest that for $30k income. The individual out of pocket of a high deductible hsa plan can swamp your boat if something happens and you both need medical care. HSAs solve rich people problems - healthy and wealthy they say.
View Quote

Thank you for clarifying. We see things very much the same. The only thing I disagree with is the idea that someone making $30k is asking you to do anything for them. Not every job is going to pay glamorously. Congress drew the line at what? $75k for the stimulus? It’s not those people’s fault they got money. It’s the government’s fault for creating this situation in response to covid. They keep filling their coffers and sending money to foreign nations. They have raped the treasury and you’re mad at Americans receiving crumbs as part of the build-up to UBI.

I wouldn’t have complained if I didn’t receive anything. I make in the $50k-$60k range, and I’m going back to school to get a degree to hopefully earn more. My current job gives me the flexibility to care for my daughter, manage the household, and go back to school. It’s a decent gig. It’s a stepping stone.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:09:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Poors thread.

Go ahead and out yourselves.
View Quote

Thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what part of TX are you in?

are you interested in a semi-skilled manual labor type gig that pays $90k+/yr?
View Quote

I'm in the... Austin area.

You know, I'm pursuing a degree in IT right now because I got tired of the manual labor aspect of my job. I work around 25 hours a week which allows me to manage all the other aspects of my life which includes dropping my kid off at school by 8am and picking her up between 5-6pm. Grocery runs, errands, online classes, etc. Working a true full-time job would complicate my situation immensely and would present more of a challenge to achieving the next phase of my life than I would be comfortable taking on right now. Out of curiosity, where is the job and what is it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You know, I'm pursuing a degree in IT right now because I got tired of the manual labor aspect of my job. I work around 25 hours a week which allows me to manage all the other aspects of my life which includes dropping my kid off at school by 8am and picking her up between 5-6pm. Grocery runs, errands, online classes, etc. Working a true full-time job would complicate my situation immensely and would present more of a challenge to achieving the next phase of my life than I would be comfortable taking on right now. Out of curiosity, where is the job and what is it?
View Quote
if you're living in/around austin and making $56k/yr working only 25 hours/week you definitely won't want the gig i was going to suggest.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
if you're living in/around austin and making $56k/yr working only 25 hours/week you definitely won't want the gig i was going to suggest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  It might be nice making double that (112k per year) but it takes a lot more stress, and at least double those hours to maintain it.  Constant drinking from a fire hose and getting new certifications, or risk being the one getting laid off.  Not to mention you don't get to keep all that money anyway, because of our progressive tax system.  In about 5 years, I'll be ready for something stable, decent insurance, and 25 hours a week for 56k.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No kidding.  It might be nice making double that (112k per year) but it takes a lot more stress, and at least double those hours to maintain it.  Constant drinking from a fire hose and getting new certifications, or risk being the one getting laid off.  Not to mention you don't get to keep all that money anyway, because of our progressive tax system.  In about 5 years, I'll be ready for something stable, decent insurance, and 25 hours a week for 56k.
View Quote
i lived on $13k in 2019.

would love to be able to make $56k/yr working only 2.5 days week.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
We got a $1200 deposit last night also.  We don't need it and it kind of pissed us off.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We got a $1200 deposit last night also.  We don't need it and it kind of pissed us off.
View Quote
i'll put it to good use.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Despite all that’s happened, I’m very fortunate. I know that. My schedule is super flexible. Even if my workload increases, I can push meetings to the evenings and weekend. School is my biggest priority second only to my daughter.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I got two deposits. One for $1200 and one for $600. Weird. I just put it all into a savings account. It is a nice little bit of money to come into.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I got my "stimulus" today. All $289.55 of it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got my "stimulus" today. All $289.55 of it.
View Quote
hookers and blow time, bud.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
hookers and blow time, bud.
View Quote

How much hooker does that buy in Nevada?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Poors thread.

Go ahead and out yourselves.
View Quote
Yeah, lets out those people on this forum that represent 81% of the US population.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How much hooker does that buy in Nevada?
View Quote

In or outside city limits...
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]
$600 of Trump Bux showed up in my bank account yesterday.  

Going straight into reloading components.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#22]
$1200????

Did you file taxes under two identities?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You're welcome.  Hope you enjoy it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
HOLY FUCK!!

We were supposed to get $2,400 (wife and I plus 2 kiddos) but somehow there must be a glitch or something and we got $4,800!!!!

We DO NOT have 6 kids.   Not sure what to do here.  I'm going to just wait and see if it gets adjusted.  How long should I hold off before blowing it on useless shit we don't need?
View Quote
I'd say call the IRS. You *DONT* want to be in a position where you can't pay them what they accidentally paid you.
However, the IRS and pretty much *ALL* government agencies are difficult to get through.

Calling the IRS regarding an issue, is incredibly difficult. Pisses me off about the government. They demand compliance... but then make agents of the government unreachable so you can't even get any guidance on complying.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
$1200????

Did you file taxes under two identities?
View Quote
There's this thing called Marriage...
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why not $4k?
View Quote

I just checked mine, got $600
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or dependents...
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't gotten mine and the ex wife's yet. But she was part time and we have two kids together. But will be coming to my account like the last one did. Last one came quick, my gf already got hers. With that said, if they do this again based off 2020 agi, I will not be receiving anything, which is a ok by me. Mine will most likely go to my kids in some way, shape, or form. The ex's will go to weed and random bs most likely.  I'm thankful for clearing what I do, and it isn't easy work (fed prison Lieutenant).
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I did not get the first stimulus payment and the IRS randomly deposited $1200 in my business account today.

Odd, but I am going with it. Hell if they can give it to prisoners here I’ll take my free shit
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why not $4k?
View Quote

Because they'd rather give billions to countrys that hate us so they can purchase weapons from our adversaries.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Or dependents...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or dependents...

Yep. Got a little one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I got minezes today $1800
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top