BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hell Yeah. RHEL at work, MINT and Windows 7 at home. RHEL and Mint already had multiple desktop, Win7 just needed the add on.

The 20-30-20 triple monitor setup is still my favorite. A single 30" widescreen in the middle, flanked by 20" non-widescreens in portrait mode.
Not my picture:

http://i.imgur.com/DQW3J.jpg?1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have 3 at work and I wish I had more.  Virtual desktops are a BIG improvement too.

Hell Yeah. RHEL at work, MINT and Windows 7 at home. RHEL and Mint already had multiple desktop, Win7 just needed the add on.

The 20-30-20 triple monitor setup is still my favorite. A single 30" widescreen in the middle, flanked by 20" non-widescreens in portrait mode.
Not my picture:

http://i.imgur.com/DQW3J.jpg?1

I wanted to do a setup like this for a while, but abandoned it.. it's very aesthetically pleasing, but more often than not, the content I want on a side monitor is a video, and the orientation of the side monitors like that makes for a small, crappy video.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Resolution sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not long at all. You will love it and want to add a 3rd before long. I have 2 24" monitors and a 27"... if I could fit a 4th one on my desk, I would have 4.

Why not just get a 65 inch tv screen and plug into it.

Resolution sucks.

What kind of monitor and system are causing the suckag?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not long at all. You will love it and want to add a 3rd before long. I have 2 24" monitors and a 27"... if I could fit a 4th one on my desk, I would have 4.

Why not just get a 65 inch tv screen and plug into it.

Resolution sucks.

65" at 1080p  is the same resolution as 24" at 1080p, but at desk-viewing distance, the pixel pitch on the 65" makes it look like you're watching through a screen door. You'd need 4k to make it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I got duals a few months ago. Much awesomeness. specs on one screen, prints on the other., or next level prints, or prints and catia model......
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I run 4, but it's one big 30" screen in the middle flanked by 3 vertical 20". IMO, odd numbers work best for multimonitor work.

Once you use more than one, it's very, very hard to go backwards. The only time I use a single now is
when I'm completely mobile and using the laptop, and it hurts my brain when I do so.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I work with 6. Sometimes they make my brain hurt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I could find the picture, but I'd have to scan it...

Win98, three CRT monitors, one stacked on the second and the third to the right.  It was a pimping setup for '99.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
They took back all of my monitors when I lost my job a few weeks ago. Now I have to find a new job, using just my single monitor. It's driving me crazy! I need at least three screens.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I graduated to 3 monitors this year.  Now I wouldn't want to go back to two.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I run two monitors at work.

I would do the same at home, but I lack the desk real estate to do so at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Been a one monitor user forever, this is really strange working with two.  

How long does it take to get use to have 2 screens?  I guess it'd be weird to have just one after having 2 for awhile though.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x35/ajinjax/2ms_zpsswt9d77i.jpg  
View Quote
It's doesn't take long to get used to it.  You will be fucking miserable if you switch back though.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Was just thinking about that a couple days ago. Never tried it.

My wife had 2 at work and gets all pissed off when she has to do work at home with her laptop. A couple months ago they took her second monitor away and she isn't very happy at all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Just in my office I have three desks and five monitors

I need a minimum of three. Browser, game and Netflix.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Taking away one of my monitors is like losing a limb.

It should take less than 60 days to become completely dependent on the secondary monitor(s).
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't work without two screens
View Quote

Yep.  I find it hard to believe that anyone needs to "get used" to two screens.  Are you 80?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It is weird with just 2.  You need 3 to balance it out.
View Quote

I like 3 better than 2 because there is no "seam down the middle"...
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Three screens is the sweet spot. I have four at work, hardly ever use the fourth one though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I use 4
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm out of room:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/WSUB/2016-01-30%2023.04.47.jpg

A third monitor would be nice, but I don't know where I'd put it. My desk is kind of weird. Came with the house.
View Quote

Sub, off topic but do you have any experience with Ubiquiti voip? I love their wireless and I'm thinking about going with their voip for one of our pilot offices but i don't know anyone that has used it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a four monitor stand, but it doesn't work worth a shit.

Anybody know of a reasonably priced, four monitor stand that will hold at least 24" monitors, including at least one TV (which are thicker and heavier in general)?

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]

I just got a chub.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sub, off topic but do you have any experience with Ubiquiti voip? I love their wireless and I'm thinking about going with their voip for one of our pilot offices but i don't know anyone that has used it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm out of room:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/WSUB/2016-01-30%2023.04.47.jpg

A third monitor would be nice, but I don't know where I'd put it. My desk is kind of weird. Came with the house.

Not really, no. I think Enigma might, though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#24]
piece of advice--put your main working monitor directly in front of you at your desk, and use the other as a peripheral.  i always sit square with my primary workspace.

honestly, in a month you're going to wonder how you ever made do with 1 monitor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#25]
My dream setup would be about a 50" 4k on the bottom, and 4 19" or bigger above it.

I would switch between one or more of the four smaller monitors on the big one.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Been a one monitor user forever, this is really strange working with two.  

How long does it take to get use to have 2 screens?  I guess it'd be weird to have just one after having 2 for awhile though.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x35/ajinjax/2ms_zpsswt9d77i.jpg  
View Quote
I literally just did the same thing about two hours ago at work.  Loving it...but it must take some getting used to.  My boss LIVES by the dual monitor so....

I am worried I won't be able to live without it....already wanting it at home!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I run two monitors at work.

I would do the same at home, but I lack the desk real estate to do so at the moment.
View Quote

This is where I'm at. I don't want to block the two side book areas on my desk.

It sucked at work for a long while when I had one nice wide monitor and an old crappy square one. The different resolutions pissed me off to no end.

It's nice to have a bunch of terminal sessions open on one screen while watching Wily on the other. I would like at least one more, though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I got 3.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#29]

BT;DT, but ALL of them in monochrome green.

Add One More Layer to see what I had to play with at work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm using a dual setup at the place I'm freelancing at...it's taken a bit to get used to, but now i really want to make it happen at home.

Having all my indesign/illustrator/photoshop palettes handy on their own screen and a whole screen for just the work is *nice*.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#31]

I like this set-up:

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top