[#1]
Is this a poop thread?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Reee...reeee...reee...reee...REEEEE!

This is the song of their people!
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
They're obnoxious smelly rodents. I'd never have one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unlike Cornish hens, you can sell the pelt and eat them too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
you can eat them.

FPNI.

But you really need multiples, cuy is not like a Cornish hen with one per person.

Kharn

Unlike Cornish hens, you can sell the pelt and eat them too.

Why do we only eat the hens? What happens to the roosters?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Try having a rat.

My oldest child many years ago:  Mom, I want a rat!  They're the perfect pet!  They bond with their human and they're friendly and smart and they're clean because they spend all day grooming themselves.  

Fast forward a few weeks:  Mom, we have to take this rat back.   My room smells so bad and all it does is try to chew through the cage all night.  

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago:  Two oldest kids each have a snake and usually feed them frozen with an occasional live one thrown in if it's convenient.  Oldest comes home with 2 feeder rats for them and her sister wigged out because the one for her snake was "SO cute and wittle bitty" and, not gonna' lie----he was cute.  She'd pet him and he'd just sit there and gaze at her so trustingly.  In hindsight I think he was just in shock.  

She wanted to keep it, we argued, she looked at me with those huge tear-filled eyes and I gave in and pulled out one of our old hamster cages and spent $30 on food and bedding and toys.  

Every time you walked into her room the smell would punch you in the face.  She cleaned his cage twice a week but it just stayed smelling awful.  I complained every time I had to go in there.  Also, he absolutely was not interested in bonding or even letting you touch him after that first day.  

He is no longer with us and one of the snakes won't need another meal for a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one for about 7 years. Great little pet….but yes, a shit machine for sure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]
we had 7 of them at one time, they lived in our backyard in Phoenix. We built a tunnel system for them to nest in out of concrete block. In the winter time they'd all snuggle up together in a hay bail and it the summer we had a shallow flower pot that they'd paddle in to keep cool. All had very individual personalities and would come and beg at the kitchen door for treats. Very entertaining to watch they play. We lost a couple to coyotes over the years, the oldest lived to be 7, probably would have lived longer if they'd been kept in a cage
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well first of all, the point is to give the kids something to do. Make them clean up after it.

We’ve had a Guinea pig for 7 years. The thing is great entertainment because It’s entitled AF.

His water bottle has a little plastic float that looks like an ear of corn so you can see the water level easily.
If that stupid fake ear of corn gets within an inch of the bottom of the bottle that stupid pig will stand next to it and squeal until someone fills his water. Never mind there’s still an inch of water in the bottle. He doesn’t like it to get low. I kind of respect that. If you show him there’s still water in it he just gets more mad. As soon as you refill it he’s happy again.

When my daughters bring boys over it growls at them. I give him extra treats for that. Good job pig.

He’s a social eater. His cage is in the corner of the tv room. If someone sets up a TV tray that pig will squeak for a treat. If that doesn’t work he’ll start squealing. He will not put up anyone eating and leaving him out.

It’s great entertainment.
View Quote

I think you got the Wilbur of GPs.

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
My kids have two of them OP.  I feel your pain.

Useless animals except in an apocalypse.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Had one as a kid. Use to let it run around the living room and play. Had the Christmas tree up and it had the old style

icicles and the GP would munch on them. We could find the little pellets he left because they all had little sparkles

in them
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Things have improved, you can find much better cages online now and it's recommended that you use fleece blankets in the bottom of their cage instead of cedar shavings. The fleece is reusable and better for them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a couple sets of them as a kid.

They were cute pets but nobody sells cages that are really big enough for them so you either build your own or let them out a ton.

Mine would drink water like crazy. The wood chip bedding was basically useless. I couldn't buy enough wood chips to soak up the flood of pee. Plus they all died pretty rough deaths once they got around 4 years old or so. I think being so low to the ground they were prone to getting infections and they pee/poo where they live so infections seemed to hit them pretty hard.

I have a cat now. way less work and yet way more annoying when she gets loud.

Things have improved, you can find much better cages online now and it's recommended that you use fleece blankets in the bottom of their cage instead of cedar shavings. The fleece is reusable and better for them.

Put them in the washing machine?  I'm not sure I want that in my washer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you can eat them.
View Quote

FPNI.  Them's good eating.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Try raising rabbits. We had 28 at one time. It was almost another full-time freakin' job.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fixed, my ball and savu pythons won't eat something that big.
View Quote

My Boa imperator loves them .????????
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#15]
guinea pigs are food not friends.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I hear that they love refried beans!
View Quote

Feed them Beef-o-Reeno
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
At least OP will not have to worry about disguised Klingons.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#18]
tried raising rabbits for meat - Not sure what when wrong.  I kept them well fed and watered for more than a year.  I guess they started dying when I stopped doing a good job at that.  Burried the last one about a month ago (the 2 males lasted a lot longer than the single female-she died almost a year ago).  Then ended up killing 1/4 of my chickens as well (pressure regulator on the automatic water system froze - I guess water was limited for about 2 weeks before I realized what was going on.  Chicken disposed of their own - only skeletons left in the coop.  Damn chickens are going through 4 gallons of water a day now (back to traditional waterers).  I need to pull out one of my 20 gallon waterers and see if it is still good to go (dogs destroyed one - I don't recall if I had 2 or 3 before I went fully automatic).  Feed is all in auto feeders as well - chickens have gone a bit without food when they failed, but they don't fail often.  Main feeder will last a month when filled,  smaller one will last about 10 days).  All in all, chickens are eating about $500 of feed a year.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
you can eat them.
View Quote

Ranch

DSC_0055-Guinea Pig Ranch by FredMan, on Flickr

Supper!

GuineaPigDinner by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#21]
no rodents in the house.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I've thought about farming them for meat. Build chicken house, let them breed, and eat them when SHTF. That's the extent of those fuckers coming in my house.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Op is damn right, damn dirty rodents.

Im about to let the local hawk carry them away.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
you can eat them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They’re adorable little guys and quite social.
View Quote

Adorable, incredibly affectionate, cute squeaks.  Massive separation anxiety.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#27]
weeeep  weeeeeep weeeep weeeep weeeep

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#28]
What about the incessant squeaking?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you have one, you probably want to get one more.  They're very social animals.  In Switzerland it's actually illegal to own only one guinea pig for this reason.  Not sure if that's something that's enforced, but it's not like they eat a lot, and you can always use the poop for fertilizer or to put in flaming bags.
View Quote

Eh... I went this route.  The New Guy got bullied a lot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Amazingly enough I love the little poop machines. They squeak for a reason. Generally, because they want food. They are friendly and funny. I heard them described in a children's book as natures children. Suits them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#31]

my son had a couple of them for years growing up.

cool animals for sure but i've never been able to figure out how a 1/2 lb rodent can shit more than a Brangus steer. biological physics have rules.. but those rules deviate with Guinea's.

they can get fast too.make sure the doors are shut when you let them roam.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well first of all, the point is to give the kids something to do. Make them clean up after it.

We’ve had a Guinea pig for 7 years. The thing is great entertainment because It’s entitled AF.

His water bottle has a little plastic float that looks like an ear of corn so you can see the water level easily.
If that stupid fake ear of corn gets within an inch of the bottom of the bottle that stupid pig will stand next to it and squeal until someone fills his water. Never mind there’s still an inch of water in the bottle. He doesn’t like it to get low. I kind of respect that. If you show him there’s still water in it he just gets more mad. As soon as you refill it he’s happy again.

When my daughters bring boys over it growls at them. I give him extra treats for that. Good job pig.

He’s a social eater. His cage is in the corner of the tv room. If someone sets up a TV tray that pig will squeak for a treat. If that doesn’t work he’ll start squealing. He will not put up anyone eating and leaving him out.

It’s great entertainment.
View Quote

I admit, I wasn't too happy when my son told me he wanted one. but I'm a sucker for animals and only have 1 kid. so when he was 6-7 we went to the store and got one.

they actually do have some personality. ours always demanded Cheeto's when we have the retrievers snacks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#33]
My kids nursery school had one.  The kids would take turns bringing it home on weekend and vacations.  We had a Peruvian housecleaner that came one vacation time.  She wanted to show my wife a favorite family dish.  She couldn't believe that it was a pet and not dinner.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Had 2,one died.
Need another as they do better in pairs as they are herd animals naturally. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#35]
So you want to touch my penis, OP?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Beat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Micro cattle
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#39]
You know that if you don’t overfeed them, they’ll actually eat their own poop.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe try giving it a tour of the dish washer?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#41]
When I had lizards, I would get worms and crickets from a nearby pet store. I ALWAYS made a stop at the guinea pigs. The little noises they make are almost like taking a Valium for me.

When I was a kid my parents let me get a hamster. We got a “male” according to the pet store. Said “male” was pregnant (it would fit in society great now) and had a bunch of babies. My mom yelled at me for putting little weird pink things in the cage. Uh no, those are babies…

You have to separate them to avoid babies becoming a meal. Those babies were a riot to watch. Even my parents would sit and watch the escapades of the little fluff balls. I eventually sold them to the pet store for $.50 each.

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Growing up, my family use to raise free range Guinea Pigs. You haven’t lived until you have seen a Hurd of 150 Guinea Pigs.
View Quote

You didn’t grow up in south Alabama did you?

Knew a family that had a herd like that.  Crazy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#43]
GF has three. All three have different personalities. I recommend Aspen litter. Keeps the smell down and is much easier to clean the cage out. Don't use vitamin c drops give them foods with high vitamin c instead.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My Boa imperator loves them .????????
View Quote

So do my retics, but I bought them pre-killed & frozen for $2.50/lb plus shipping.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You know that if you don’t overfeed them, they’ll actually eat their own poop.
View Quote

Wonderful.
That makes an already disgusting creature more disgusting. I didn't even know that was possible.

Whoever eats rodents and isn't starving needs their heads examined.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#46]
My oldest has a hamster.  It’s a bit of a pain in the ass cleaning the cage with her every other week, but it’s only 15 minutes, and it gives her some responsibility.  

I’d be careful you aren’t over feeding your pet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My oldest has a hamster.  It’s a bit of a pain in the ass cleaning the cage with her every other week, but it’s only 15 minutes, and it gives her some responsibility.  

I’d be careful you aren’t over feeding your pet.
View Quote

Every other week would be a godsend. These rats need their cages cleaned daily. If you wait 2 days the thing is literally sitting in shit. It craps more then humans do on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Cui

bin dun be fo

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When I had lizards, I would get worms and crickets from a nearby pet store. I ALWAYS made a stop at the guinea pigs. The little noises they make are almost like taking a Valium for me.

When I was a kid my parents let me get a hamster. We got a “male” according to the pet store. Said “male” was pregnant (it would fit in society great now) and had a bunch of babies. My mom yelled at me for putting little weird pink things in the cage. Uh no, those are babies…

You have to separate them to avoid babies becoming a meal. Those babies were a riot to watch. Even my parents would sit and watch the escapades of the little fluff balls. I eventually sold them to the pet store for $.50 each.

View Quote

I have no idea how the pet store was confused.  I can't handle male hamsters because of the disproportionately large drag bag.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#50]
If you're going to keep it seriously consider getting a second one.
They are super social & can literally die from loneliness.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top