Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I wear one when I work on the firing line at MG shoots. Seems like a good idea when you're surrounded by new shooters welding full auto.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never seen a civilian wearing a plate carrier in real life, not an internet video.  Well, that's not entirely true. There's always that huge fat guy with a comically small plate carrier at the local gun show.  But he doesn't count because LARPing is not real.     Other then that, no never.

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i wear it in the closet
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have never seen a civilian wearing a plate carrier in real life, not an internet video.  Well, that's not entirely true. There's always that huge fat guy with a comically small plate carrier at the local gun show.  But he doesn't count because LARPing is not real.     Other then that, no never.

View Quote

There is a lady in my neighborhood that runs wearing a plate carrier. It’s got IDF patches on it.

There used to be a weirdo that walked around in a black plate carrier (I thought it was just a weight vest at first)… he smelled of LARPer.

Finally, there was a skinny kid that used to run in a PC - turned out he’s a force recon guy and turned out to be a pretty good dude. I don’t see him much any more.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine gets run in several days a week.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sometimes it's the only thing that I wear . . .
View Quote

Pics or it never happened.

KIDDING! please don't post that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

“Shooting” is practicing an already learned skill

Training is learning a new skill from a subject matter expert.

Coaching is refining an already learned skill under supervision of a SME.
View Quote

You should probably consult a dictionary since your grasp of common words is lacking.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
It gets used once a year at a range, but that’s about the same for most my gear and firearms. Only so many houses in the day.

I will occasionally wear a PC when doing a workout
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Plate carrier.

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have worn it, even shot in it!

But ya 99.9999 it sits in the closet
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guys with plate carriers, do you wear them? or do they just sit in the closet?

Not talking the high speed guys that use them day to day, but the Walter Mitty owners.

View Quote

Like everyones' multi thousand dollar rifles that mostly sit in the safe?

What's your point here

Quoted:

View Quote

Man I see local, state, and FLEO wearing plate carriers all the time.  You're just not looking hard enough.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Flat range sometimes.

Shits heavy. With 8lbs plates, its not very enjoyable tbh.

I usually just rock the placard on a harness heh.

So mostly closet time

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Hanging on a chair in my reloading room. should wear in for some physical training but no.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Yall should at least be going for a 1-2 mile walk in them 2-4 time a year. If you're not, there is a high chance you don't have it set up to be comfortable for more than 30-60 minutes. Walk the dog in it, mow the lawn go for a hike.

There's 3-5 guys in my neighborhood that walk in PC or weighted vests. Depending on where you live you might not stick out as much as you think you do.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear it when working in the yard
Especially when cutting trees.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]

You know she likes tossing salad.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What's your point here

Man I see local, state, and FLEO wearing plate carriers all the time.  You're just not looking hard enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not talking the high speed guys that use them day to day, but the Walter Mitty owners.

What's your point here

Quoted:

While that's true and I do see law enforcement wearing them all the time, they are not civilians. I prefaced my reply by saying i had never seen "civilians" wearing plate carriers.  I guess it depends on what you consider a civilian. Acccording to wikipedia, law enfircement are not civilians. that's what I bade my definition on.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm wearing mine right now.

It's an inside the house thing and I certainly wouldn't want to ruck with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
During sex? Who doesn’t?
View Quote

I had my ex wear them (with stilettos) whilst we did the horizontal bop.

She was ok with that, but, she drew the line at wearing the Team Wendy ballistic helmet w/ the PVS14's.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

While that's true and I do see law enforcement wearing them all the time, they are not civilians. I prefaced my reply by saying i had never seen "civilians" wearing plate carriers.  I guess it depends on what you consider a civilian. Acccording to wikipedia, law enfircement are not civilians. that's what I bade my definition on.
View Quote

Anyone who's not military is a civilian. LEOs have adopted the term but it's not correct usage.

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol wut
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those of you that never wear yours doing physical activity/shooting are kidding yourself if you think you're just going to throw it on when you need it, and it's not going to have an effect on how you shoot, reload, move, and accomplish other tasks.
View Quote

add pull a slipring or a GPS. even in soft III stuff it sucked. Just not as bad as working in MOPP4.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
sir is that a shirtcocking type situation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sleep in mine.
sir is that a shirtcocking type situation?
Im sad this thread made me learn this word.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a few in a job box in one of my connections boxes.
My sons would strap them on to run our mountain at 7000'.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Flat range sometimes.

Shits heavy. With 8lbs plates, its not very enjoyable tbh.

I usually just rock the placard on a harness heh.

So mostly closet time

https://i.imgur.com/6JRTMWh.jpg
View Quote

---

"Modern Musket"

Love it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine lives in the safe.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wear one when I work on the firing line at MG shoots. Seems like a good idea when you're surrounded by new shooters welding full auto.
View Quote

Smart idea.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i wear it in the closet
View Quote

this made me giggle
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Running steel plates and are so heavy need to get lighter plates
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine hangs on a hanger I made that's mounted on the wall at the end of my bed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Every day,  it is policy at my job that when we leave the building we are armed and wear armor,  policy set by me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I play airsoft with my boy in one.  I have a set of the jacked rabbit plates that are sand filled and weigh about 14 pounds.  Great for weighted workouts.  I have a nice back 40 that I can larp in with plates on and enjoy shooting.

brings me back to the good old days running around with some weight on my back.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Hangs in the closet until the day comes that I need to wear it.

The one exception is tornado weather.

My basement isn’t completely underground, so if we have a tornado close by I put it on with a helmet.

That’s only happened twice, but if it can stop a 30-06, should help me with debris.  At least, that’s my thought.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your point here

Quoted:

Never cite wikipedia
if you want a passing grade.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
i wear it in the closet
View Quote

With a slung rifle and rest of kit.  Especially when company comes over.

"Hi, may I take your coat"?
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#38]
I wear one loaded with level IIIa every day.  My level III stays in the back of the car.  Its set up to slip over my daily wear.  I'm getting a level IV upgrade in  a few weeks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 1:25:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

My workout vest with ar500 plates. I added reflective strips so it looks more normal walking the neighborhood.

It is a backup to my regular vest and I have some ceramic to put in it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Casual Fridays and range trips for me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 4:26:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I wear mine to shooting events.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They literally suck to do anything in

It definitely changes how you move and shoot. Just finding the best spot for the rifle stock on your shoulder changes quite a bit.
View Quote

For across the room/yard distances, I long ago went to a fairly short stock (usually 1 click out from fully collapsed, or just fully collapsed) and pretty often will just plant the stock fairly close to the center of the chest versus trying to find a shoulder pocket.  But the plate carrier is still a lot easier to find a shoulder pocket than a full heavy vest with more ballistic material near the top edges or for upper arm protection.  Not sure I would do it with .308, but works well for 5.56/7.62x39/etc.  

I am 6’3” with long reach, so it seems counter intuitive, but I started doing it long ago and honestly it works pretty well for me.  Anything that makes it less likely to get stuck pushing thru doors and such is helpful.  Can’t recall where I first got the idea, I think from my first time thru swat school where we had one of the original Delta guys as an instructor, but it could have been somewhere else.  I demo the technique and let people try it themselves when doing rifle classes, but most don’t push the stock as close to the centerline as I tend to sometimes.  Think it originally was labeled as an MP5 technique, but I don’t know as I never went thru an actual HK class myself.  Makes it easier to switch to lefty as well.  

For the record, not a fan of the C clamp forward grip, not great with long arms + a short gun.  

For close quarters, it doesn’t really matter where the stock it locked in, just that it is planted firmly.

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 5:04:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Running steel plates and are so heavy need to get lighter plates
View Quote

Ugh, I thought the old ceramic plates sucked!  Steel= no thanks…

Get some of the cheap imported plates from Botach or wherever.  They aren’t top tier, but they are pretty light and work pretty well.  I spent $100 a plate for level 4’s a couple years ago, and they stop a lot more than my old issued ones, and they weigh just a bit more.  Technology improvements are great.  

Plus the oldest ceramic plates I had still had to be worn over soft armor.  Stand alone UMHW PE plates at a couple lbs are awesome by comparison.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wear one loaded with level IIIa every day.  My level III stays in the back of the car.  Its set up to slip over my daily wear.  I'm getting a level IV upgrade in  a few weeks.
View Quote

Lvl 4 isn't always an upgrade fwiw
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Does this count? We don't have any mini sized goalie equipment.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I want a plate carrier so I can larp around my place like a navy seal. Don’t judge me.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top