Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 107
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Has anyone seen one of those predator 9500 surge watt inverter generators converted for natural gas?
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beet223:
i have a honeywell 5500 for 10 years and has been a reliable work horse and still is. but this week i ordered a CHampion 4650 model 200994 dual fuel inverter electric start geny. suppost to get it tomorrow as least that what fedex says.  didnt really need another one but wanted a invertered. this one will (with a adaptor) hook up to the manual transfer switch on the house, i know i have to watch what i use but my plans are this champion inverter is real quiet for size (buddy has one) for those gen over night when i need one.  I know 24 people who have champion including both my kids at there house my dad and father n law and only once i had to order parts but they had the carb to me in 2 days.  i like the service and the rating champion gets. prob paid to much I paid 750.  we  will see. im getting older and i like the electric start and lp idea. i did buy a batter tender also localy.
looked hard at harbor frieght 35oo inveter but like the dual fuel option.

little story on champion ive told before. my 96 yr old father in law and wwii vet with one leg left gas in his champion geny for 6 yrs not running it. when i found it me and buddy had to clean everything but the carb was trash. it had been setting out side.  I called champion and told them we needed a carb and gaskets and just mentioned his sit. only a $30 part. the champion rep told me no prob he will send it right out give him the address. i did and started to give my info for payment he said this one is on champion just tell your father n law thank you for his service. We got it 2 days later and included the parts gaskets caps and a flag and letter thanking him for his service.  THIS is another reason i chose Champion.  service and respect and parts and company are in the US.  just my 2 cents. they got my business.

father n law and my dad both wwii vets passed away in 2019.  this geny story was about 2017.  father n law italy and france master sg infantry, my dad corp tanker germany. along wwii vets  4 of my uncles 3 of wifes uncles. gone but never forgoten
View Quote

Thank you for sharing that story, this helped me make a choice on what company I wanted to go with.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread is awesome, so much great information.

I'm still struggling with which unit to get.

I've decided I want a Champion for multiple reasons, but not sure what size I'd like to pick up.

Our house is all electric, with the exception of heat. So I need to power my well pump and hot water heater, so I need one that will do 240v.

Just not sure how many watts I need, and being sick for the last week and a half has rotted my brain, and I can't figure out even the most simple problems lol.

Maybe I'll just order bigger than I think I need.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:11:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mitsuman47] [#4]
Originally Posted By zukguy:
This thread is awesome, so much great information.

I'm still struggling with which unit to get.

I've decided I want a Champion for multiple reasons, but not sure what size I'd like to pick up.

Our house is all electric, with the exception of heat. So I need to power my well pump and hot water heater, so I need one that will do 240v.

Just not sure how many watts I need, and being sick for the last week and a half has rotted my brain, and I can't figure out even the most simple problems lol.

Maybe I'll just order bigger than I think I need.
View Quote
How many amps is your well pump? @zukguy
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
How many amps is your well pump? @zukguy
View Quote

I'm not sure, we purchased the house last summer, and the guy that installed our well passed away, so I have very little information about the well.

Is there a way to figure that out without knowing what kind or size of a pump is in the well?

I know it's a 220v pump, but that's about all I know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
An amp clamp meter would work. You will have to break out the 2 hot wires to get the clamp around each single one. Or, if you are up for it, get a reading around each hot inside the electric panel. Harbour Freight, Amazon, carry cheap versions that should work well enough.

BTW, the US, Canada and Mexico have been on the 240VAC standard since 1967, not 220VAC anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SR712:
An amp clamp meter would work. You will have to break out the 2 hot wires to get the clamp around each single one. Or, if you are up for it, get a reading around each hot inside the electric panel. Harbour Freight, Amazon, carry cheap versions that should work well enough.

BTW, the US, Canada and Mexico have been on the 240VAC standard since 1967, not 220VAC anymore.
View Quote

Perfect, I'll order an Amp Clamp, it would be a good tool to have around anyhow. Thanks for the heads up on the 220 vs 240, I had no idea obviously.

I appreciate the information, thanks for taking the time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 6:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#8]
Be extra careful. 240V can be nasty. There are lots of videos on Taking Current Measurements with a Clamp Meter on the internet.

BTW, you can also use the clamp meter for 120VAC circuits. (actually, any single wire) They have breakouts available that separate the Hot from Neutral. Amazon has them, but seem a little high in price... here.

or available in a bunch of places... such as this.

And then, there is the old standby, as mentioned probably 20 times in this thread, the KillAWatt meter Here. I have no experience with the cheaper brands, only the KillAWatt brand. It gives you the current/voltage/wattage/frequency/VoltAmps and will even give you the cost-to-operate if you input your electric cost. 120V only. Handy to have around. Take a reading on all your appliances and stuff, add them up, and you have good insight into what you can run on your genny.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
So I am a cheap ass and bought a "sportsman" brand 1000w inverter generator because it was cheap.  The old saying "you get what you pay for" may come into play here.  It was going to snow for the first time so that seemed like a good time to check preps.   It was last started a few months ago, late summer just for a function check and ran fine.  

It started, ran and quickly died.  Pumped the priming bulb and it was sucking wind, but there was still gas in the tank.   Took the covers off and everything looked ok except the fuel line where it went into the fuel tank looked like it was sitting at an odd angle.   I tugged on it and it came apart in my hands.   Maybe it was the ethanol in the gas around here but the fuel line was dissolving.  There were chunks of semi dissolved fuel line lying on the bottom of the tank which I had to fish out.

I replaced the fuel lines with new ones from home depot but honestly they look exactly like the old ones.   Either the manufacturer cheaped out and didn't use the right kind of fuel line or the alcohol they put in the gas nowadays attacked it.   It runs fine now, just glad I found out about it before I needed the generator for real.   The new line was only a couple of bucks but I am going to grab another package and duct tape it to the inside of the generator housing in case it happens again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
^Tygon fuel line is a popular replacement for OEM hoses - Lasts longer.

Using ethanol-free gasoline is another option - Many gas stations sell it nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Skibane:
^Tygon fuel line is a popular replacement for OEM hoses - Lasts longer.

Using ethanol-free gasoline is another option - Many gas stations sell it nowadays.
View Quote

Thanks for the links, unfortunately the nearest station with real gas is over an hour away.    That fuel line looks good though; the shit home depot sells looks exactly like what fell apart.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:35:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Avidrook] [#13]
The typical 2k inverter, like the HF, are the fuel lines 1/4 id?

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:47:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2tired2run] [#14]

Perfect, I'll order an Amp Clamp, it would be a good tool to have around anyhow. Thanks for the heads up on the 220 vs 240, I had no idea obviously.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not to dissuade you from buying a clamp on amp meter, they're handy but I also have this.  It's handy to see what your usage is throughout the day, if you're curious about loads on certain circuits you can turn off breakers and turn them on one at a time.  I've had to the replace the batteries once since 2013.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XOXU02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

Not to dissuade you from buying a clamp on amp meter, they're handy but I also have this.  It's handy to see what your usage is throughout the day, if you're curious about loads on certain circuits you can turn off breakers and turn them on one at a time.  I've had to the replace the batteries once since 2013.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XOXU02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&;psc=1

View All Quotes

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XOXU02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&;psc=1

@2tired2run your link is broken. Takes me to Amazon home page
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XOXU02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure what's going on, but it works for me....

search amazon Efergy Elite 4.0 Wireless Portable Home Energy Monitor. No WiFi required Easy Install
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Slow shipping but the Champion 8750 watt inverter generator with 240v output is on sale for $1,005 and free shipping for Prime members:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083V8VNGL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_R9DHDEYXZSVFBBXZ21G4?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=e2752e1073d511ec9034aeddf160804c0INT
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By kcr121:
Slow shipping but the Champion 8750 watt inverter generator with 240v output is on sale for $1,005 and free shipping for Prime members:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083V8VNGL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_R9DHDEYXZSVFBBXZ21G4?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=e2752e1073d511ec9034aeddf160804c0INT
View Quote

From my personnel experience that's a great generator if anyone is looking for a 240V inverter. I ran mine for over 10 days with no problems last summer after Hurricane Ida hit Louisiana, only shutting it down to do oil changes. The oil change is extremely easy on it with the built in quick drain hose. Since then I've also used it to power my 240V Welder for building a metal fence line for a buddy. Only downside is its not an enclosed inverter so it is louder but not nearly as loud as a conventional gen.

For air filters it took me a little bit to find one that fit but this one works. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079562NF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Getting ready for Snowpocalypse here in NW NC.

I tested my old Honda powered 6500w generator on the house to be sure no worries. I figured out I can run my water heater if I cycle off the mini-split and the well pump isn't running. So I can take a hot shower if needed .

My body is ready, bring on that foot of snow

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fishing_cabin] [#22]
Getting ready here as well in NW NC. Ran my 2000w champion around an hour hooked to a heater to test it and was good thankfully.

Had trouble with it recently though. Wouldn't crank. Been a while since it was ran. Dumped the old gas, added fresh ethanol free gas still wouldn't crank. Got it to run off starting fluid but not off gas with seafoam. About a week back was going to load it up to take to get it fixed, but thought might as well give it another pull and it fired right up.  Thinking bad gas but i also didn't run the carb dry.

Whats the go to hour meter for these small inverters now?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#23]
No hour meter on mine but the last time it ran for an extended time I set a timer on my iPad to track it. I change the oil every 50hrs.

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By fishing_cabin:
Getting ready here as well in NW NC. Ran my 2000w champion around an hour hooked to a heater to test it and was good thankfully.

Had trouble with it recently though. Wouldn't crank. Been a while since it was ran. Dumped the old gas, added fresh ethanol free gas still wouldn't crank. Got it to run off starting fluid but not off gas with seafoam. About a week back was going to load it up to take to get it fixed, but thought might as well give it another pull and it fired right up.  Thinking bad gas but i also didn't run the carb dry.

Whats the go to hour meter for these small inverters now?
View Quote

Sounded like a gunk up carb was the issue.

For the meater I have 2 of these, 1 on each of my wen 2000w invert gen. Just wrap the spark plug wire 7-10 times and good to go.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:52:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: anothermisanthrope] [#25]
Originally Posted By jordanmills:
Has anyone seen one of those predator 9500 surge watt inverter generators converted for natural gas?
View Quote

@jordanmills - the duromax 9000 is basically the same thing with dual fuel already (not sure what you'd need to change for tri-fuel) - I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on it:
Predator 9500 VS DUROMAX XP9000IH (Generator Review)

Also, HF now has open frame inverters ala Champion that I haven't seen mentioned (not saying much)

https://www.harborfreight.com/8750-watt-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-57480.html
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Hr meter from Amazon I think

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By anothermisanthrope:

@jordanmills - the duromax 9000 is basically the same thing with dual fuel already (not sure what you'd need to change for tri-fuel) - I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVMIhyyLBLQ

Also, HF now has open frame inverters ala Champion that I haven't seen mentioned (not saying much)
https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9fc4a8332f9638515cd199dd0f9238da/5/7/57480_W3.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/8750-watt-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-57480.html
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By anothermisanthrope:
Originally Posted By jordanmills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVMIhyyLBLQ

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9fc4a8332f9638515cd199dd0f9238da/5/7/57480_W3.jpg

@anothermisanthrope  HAHAHAH we were looking up the same thing at the same time.  I was reading the spec sheet for that 8750 watt generator while you made this post.  It looks like it's not capable of parallel operation.  For a thousand dollars, almost twice the price, I might not be sure if it's worth it though.  Otherwise it looks decent enough.

From what I've got from looking into conversions, the ones that take propane have a low pressure demand regulator (that needs to go between a propane distribution line and the device - as opposed to a high pressure regulator that goes close to the tank, between the tank and distribution line) built in, but the low pressure demand regulators used on most most propane-only inputs will not open if they have an input pressure below 0.4 PSIG, but most natural gas lines in houses are designed and regulated to operate at 0.25 PSGI.  So the regulator needs to be replaced, or one needs to be added, that will open at lower supply pressure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ponykilr] [#28]
Originally Posted By Bones45:

Thanks for the links, unfortunately the nearest station with real gas is over an hour away.    That fuel line looks good though; the shit home depot sells looks exactly like what fell apart.
View Quote
I used to use a lot of small engine fuel and I switched to Sta-Bil 360 Marine in regular gasoline. It neutralizes ethanol and I haven't had any trouble, even in saws that sit a year.

The large bottle treats 280 gal of gasoline and costs $20.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7] [#29]

Not sure what's going on, but it works for me....

search amazon Efergy Elite 4.0 Wireless Portable Home Energy Monitor. No WiFi required Easy Install
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67501/61fSqhc87zL__AC_SL1193__jpg-2235982.JPG

View Quote
Oh that is nice.  I was looking at the energy monitor devices, but the ones I looked at wanted to also use a double width breaker in the box and I don't have any empty slots.    

It would be great to see how much my generator is pulling when its on.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 3:29:28 AM EDT
[#31]
http://www.lifanpowerusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ESI-2000i-NEW-MANUAL.pdf

Anyone have experience with this generator. I'm looking at this one because it has a fuel pump and might be good for and extended run tank. You can see the pump on page 44.

This is a picture of the pump.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Lifan makes a lot of small motorcycles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boolzi] [#33]
Looking at the predator inverter 9500 and the equivalent champion. I have had the 2000 watt predator on the work truck, not any real issues.

Not familiar with champion. Any high mileage users of either here?

For $2200 this 15000 surge/12000 running watt looks pretty good. Engine takes a filter too.
Champion
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
Looking at the predator inverter 9500 and the equivalent champion. I have had the 2000 watt predator on the work truck, not any real issues.

Not familiar with champion. Any high mileage users of either here?

For $2200 this 15000 surge/12000 running watt looks pretty good. Engine takes a filter too.
Champion
View Quote

Do you need an inverter generator or not?
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Picked up a Champion model #100231 6900 starting/5500 running dual fuel from HD just in time to get it set up before the big storm.

Luckily our power never went out so I didn't need it this time.  

$664 out the door. I thought that was a good price.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Hillbilly69:
Picked up a Champion model #100231 6900 starting/5500 running dual fuel from HD just in time to get it set up before the big storm.

Luckily our power never went out so I didn't need it this time.  

$664 out the door. I thought that was a good price.
View Quote
Congrats on your new purchase. You'll never need it.

I bought a gen in 2017 after some tornadoes knocked out power in my town for a couple days. Haven't lost power since. Made it through last year's icepocalypse debacle and never lost power once.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#37]
NEW HONDA FUEL INJECTION COMPACT EU3200I GENERATOR!
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:46:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#38]

I bought a gen in 2017 after some tornadoes knocked out power in my town for a couple days. Haven't lost power since. Made it through last year's icepocalypse debacle and never lost power once.
View Quote

Yeah, that's how it goes. After hurricane Isabel in 2003, and power being out for a week, I vowed to never let that happen again.

It's never happened, again.

Power has been stable for many years, now. LOL.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:22:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#39]
Originally Posted By draver:
Seems OK, however if you are buying an off brand non Yamaha/Honda I will suggest a dual fuel AiPower SUA 2000id from Walmart for $405.  2000W, and mine works great even in parallel with my HF Predator 3500.  It has never had gasoline in it and probably never will. No fuel spills, smells, storage, or exhaust odor either.  Much longer run times also on a 20 lb. tank so no midnight refueling.
View Quote

$405?
Did Joe Biden do that?

I guess $427 and free shipping isn't the end of the world, if you actually get the dual fuel version when you order it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:21:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#40]
After the events of the weekend, namely the ice, I've taken it as a priority to catalog the devices in our home that require power, how much power they require and rating the level of importance they have in keeping us going. I'm now looking into generators and sizing requirements vs fuel needed and run time.

One question I have is about the generators that can run 120 and 240 on a plug. How does that relate to the power sent to a panel? Let's say I use a suicide plug just for simplicity. I have a 30A Double pole breaker and I wire in a cable with a 30A plug at one end to go into the generator. If the generator has a 30A 240V outlet, does this feed 30*240=7200W to the panel or is it split the 240 feed and do 30*120=3600W to each side of the panel?

Besides that, it still has to be rated for the maximum wattage it can put out, correct? You can't have a 5000W generator and it have a 30A 240V plug, right? That would be 7200W out of a 5000W generator.

Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track? Or explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old?

Thanks.

ETA: I guess wiring to the panel is not really a "suicide plug" since this is the way outdoor plugs work as well. What I'm reading is that "suicide plugs" are from the generator into an outlet in the house (most say dryer outlets). I'll be buying an interlock (if I can find one for this older panel) and a plug kit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FourLoko] [#41]

View Quote

This thread had me buy a generator. It's still in the box despite losing power for a few days last summer. I had enough hot water for showers and battery powered lighting. I live alone so no one else here to complain and I was at work most of the time anyway.

Winter might be different but I think power was out for maybe two days in the last 5 years due to ice. I don't want to deal with oil and gas storage when the thing is just going to sit and rot after being used for maybe two days.

We'll see what the future holds.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By PKT1106:
After the events of the weekend, namely the ice, I've taken it as a priority to catalog the devices in our home that require power, how much power they require and rating the level of importance they have in keeping us going. I'm now looking into generators and sizing requirements vs fuel needed and run time.

One question I have is about the generators that can run 120 and 240 on a plug. How does that relate to the power sent to a panel? Let's say I use a suicide plug just for simplicity. I have a 30A Double pole breaker and I wire in a cable with a 30A plug at one end to go into the generator. If the generator has a 30A 240V outlet, does this feed 30*240=7200W to the panel or is it split the 240 feed and do 30*120=3600W to each side of the panel?

Besides that, it still has to be rated for the maximum wattage it can put out, correct? You can't have a 5000W generator and it have a 30A 240V plug, right? That would be 7200W out of a 5000W generator.

Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track? Or explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old?

Thanks.

ETA: I guess wiring to the panel is not really a "suicide plug" since this is the way outdoor plugs work as well. What I'm reading is that "suicide plugs" are from the generator into an outlet in the house (most say dryer outlets). I'll be buying an interlock (if I can find one for this older panel) and a plug kit.
View Quote

30A would be 15A per buss side.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I've also been reading about "clean" power for electronics. I opened up the panel on the gas furnace to get the power info and saw the control board and it's electronics. I'm wondering if I need a separate inverter generator and transfer switch to run the furnace with clean power and then a second generator to feed the panel. I can isolate the furnace when needed and make sure it gets clean power. Or just buy a medium inverter and run the furnace and a couple other things through the panel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I've also been reading about "clean" power for electronics. I opened up the panel on the gas furnace to get the power info and saw the control board and it's electronics. I'm wondering if I need a separate inverter generator and transfer switch to run the furnace with clean power and then a second generator to feed the panel. I can isolate the furnace when needed and make sure it gets clean power. Or just buy a medium inverter and run the furnace and a couple other things through the panel.
View Quote

These days electronics are on more than just a furnace.  Everything from microwave to the dishwasher have electronic control boards.  If you just want to run the blower motor on the furnace and other small loads, I'd get an inverter unit, it's cheap insurance.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:50:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#46]
Anybody know anything about this Champion Dual Fuel 2400?

MFG link

It's 10lbs heavier than the 2500 model, a little cheaper and a different engine. The specs say it has an 80cc instead of the 79cc in the 2500 model, all the other specs seem the same, it's the different engine that has me wondering if it's the same quality.

I've got some Cabelas gift cards and am thinking of grabbing it but can't find much info.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#47]
I've also been reading about "clean" power for electronics. I opened up the panel on the gas furnace to get the power info and saw the control board and it's electronics. I'm wondering if I need a separate inverter generator and transfer switch to run the furnace with clean power and then a second generator to feed the panel.
View Quote

Most of the problems with furnaces and generators are due to the lack of a bonded neutral on the generator.

They have absolutely nothing to do with "clean" or "dirty" power.

As has already been mentioned several times in this thread, bonding the neutral on a generator takes 10 seconds, and costs less than $15.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

Most of the problems with furnaces and generators are due to the lack of a bonded neutral on the generator.

They have absolutely nothing to do with "clean" or "dirty" power.

As has already been mentioned several times in this thread, bonding the neutral on a generator takes 10 seconds, and costs less than $15.
View Quote

This seems like a 120 volt thing.

Does the same apply to a 240 volt 4 wire cord since the ground and neutral bars are connected in the box correct?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Hillbilly69:

This seems like a 120 volt thing.

Does the same apply to a 240 volt 4 wire cord since the ground and neutral bars are connected in the box correct?
View Quote

This was my next question about bonding. If I use a 30A or 50A 240V connection to the main panel, doesn't this bond the ground and the neutral? If so, I can just connect it that way to the panel and go.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#50]
^ Most codes require the neutral and ground to be bonded at no more than one place on the property.

If that bond is made on the utility side of your transfer switch, then you lose it every time you change over to generator power - in which case you may need to add your own bond on the generator side of the transfer switch.

OTOH, if it's on the house side of the transfer switch, then you should be GTG without adding your own bond.
Page / 107
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top